Over 800 people have COVID on the Majestic Princess

PescadoAmarillo

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

It is also important to remember a couple of points. 

* Covid in 2020 is not the same as Covid in 2022. Since 2020 it has mutated into a less virulent form.  

* The vaccines do not prevent you from getting covid, just not as sick with it - as evidenced by the reports of mild cases and cases where people didn't even know they were a case until they tested positive.  Those are still counted as "cases" and add to the "outbreak" reports.

One can either take precautions and travel, or one can wait until the case count is zero before venturing out.  With more decades behind me than in front of me, I don't have time to waste.  I'm vaxxed and boosted and carry a mask in case it's needed to for whatever reason.

Waiting for COVID to reach 0 is like waiting for annual flu to reach 0.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

We cruised when the virus was more potent, having no problems and I didn't hear of anyone getting Covid on the ship.

I suspect that with the latest strain most, things will back to normal cruising in a a few weeks. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We cruised when the virus was more potent, having no problems and I didn't hear of anyone getting Covid on the ship.

I suspect that with the latest strain most, things will back to normal cruising in a a few weeks. 

Your hearing must not be very good.😁

I agree that as people get the virus and are not in line to get it again soon, then things will calm down.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, NownZen said:

So no one should be blaming Princess for being different.

Princess is the one who is different because its' ship is the one that is making most of the world news about the Covid situation on board.  The media companies certainly do not report that it is business as usual to have that many cases on a ship and probably many more onboard.

According to posts on the Austria and New Zealand Cruisers forum (which I encourage everyone to read), two days ago the number of cases on the Majestic reached tier 2 which kicked in at approximately 495 passengers and crew with Covid.  As a consequence, everyone on the ship was required to be tested.  That was not a Princess initiative; it was a requirement.  Another 300 positive passengers were identified as a result.  What was not announced, as far as I have read, is how many of those were asymptomatic and how many were symptomatic but decided not to involved the medical center on the last day of the cruise.  Princess Australia did announce that "most' (but no actual number) of the positive cases were passengers, not crew.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

We were on HAL Quebec to Boston in September got Covid on next to the last day.  We wore masks whenever in a crowd such as elevator or waiting in a line.  Yes, you can use precautions but current strains are highly contagious.  We both had similar to sinus infection symptoms are were positive for about ten days but continued with intermittent chest tightness for three weeks and considerable fatigue for four weeks after testing negative.

We are both fine now.  We are both double boosted.

Earlier this week I flew Philadelphia to Los Angeles and only about 1 in 20 passengers wore masks.  Yes, I did and will when I do a round trip to Sacramento on Tuesday 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Princess is the one who is different because its' ship is the one that is making most of the world news about the Covid situation on board.  The media companies certainly do not report that it is business as usual to have that many cases on a ship and probably many more onboard.

So if the masking of the crew is not making a difference, why is Princess having so many cases? Or is the news media looking for the next Ruby or Diamond?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NownZen said:

So if the masking of the crew is not making a difference, why is Princess having so many cases? Or is the news media looking for the next Ruby or Diamond?

Just a guess, could it be that the PAX are not wearing masks?

NSW Health has Majestic at Tier 3 which means at least 20% have Covid. The president of Carnival Australia stated there were about 800 infected. So the 800 number is not merely based on social media speculation as some have questioned the accuracy of the number of cases.

More info from both sources in this ABC (Australian Broadcast Corporation) news article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-12/cruise-ship-docked-in-sydney-with-hundreds-of-covid-cases/101646608

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NownZen said:

Are the passengers on the other cruise lines wearing masks? The other boards do not seem to think so.

I have no idea.  I thinking that the amount of PAX on each cruise and or cruise line might follow the mask suggestions/rule differently.

1 minute ago, geocruiser said:

I have no idea.  I thinking that the amount of PAX on each cruise and or cruise line might follow the mask suggestions/rule differently.

So basically none of us know. Is it the longer trips? The four day booze cruises will not show up much as people will test positive after they get home. Maybe the longer cruises give enough time to get the full effect of the R value. It would be nice if there was a comparison available. I think that the cruise lines still report their covid numbers to the CDC but those numbers are not public.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NownZen said:

So basically none of us know. Is it the longer trips? The four day booze cruises will not show up much as people will test positive after they get home. Maybe the longer cruises give enough time to get the full effect of the R value. It would be nice if there was a comparison available. I think that the cruise lines still report their covid numbers to the CDC but those numbers are not public.

We have been on several times since the restart and have several more booked for the upcoming months.  I really haven’t noticed a change in infections based on people masking or not masking while onboard or even in the vaccinated or non vaccinated populations.  I really don’t know how many or not vaccinated, though.  
I did get CoVid once but not from being on a cruise .. it was at a family party .. and I was being very careful.  My DH, who was at the same party, never contracted it.  I always test before we go out in large groups and before every cruise.  I wouldn’t dream on hopping on a plane, a cruise, a party or even an Uber if I tested positive.  But, the fact of the matter is, there are many places to get infected that have nothing to do with cruise travel.  Just getting to the port probably exposes you to many pathogens.  Who’s to say the cruiselines are responsible when any one of us could be the one that brought it with us onboard? 
 at the risk of repeating myself, I really think the lockdowns did such a grave disservice to our immune systems, especially after there were vaccines and known treatments for CoVid.  I really think that’s what is happening right now on cruises from down under right now.  There is no real escaping it, just delays in when the outbreaks would hit once we were free to live our lives again.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The Australian media is particularly keen to harp on cases on Princess because of the original debacle on the Diamond, followed by the other one on the Ruby, which was in Sydney. There's also the general dislike for cruise companies because of the foreign flagging and pay conditions etc (unions still hold a fair bit of clout in Australia, even if it is far less than it used to be).

• Like 3

On 11/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, justafem said:

They just opened up unfettered cruising to unvaxxed, which in my opinion is the reason for the high positives.

I got covid on my June cruise.  I knew I had it, I've had it before, so I KNEW.  I went to medical on Thurs, they tested me, I was negative.  Disembarked Friday, took the cruise transfer to the airport, went through customs, sat in the airport for 2 hours, flew in a tin can for an hour and went home.  Where I stuck another q-tip up my nose, which was positive.    

And on Friday, I was starting to feel better.  How many thousands did I infect?  

If you knew… why not just stay put and not travel?  

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Is this a cruise of mostly Australian and Kiwi passengers ?  I am wondering if they have less anti bodies since very few probably got covid due to lock downs 

Australia has a very high covid vaccination rate.

Of people aged 16+, 97% have at least 1 dose, 95.9% have at least 2 doses, 72.7% have at least 3 doses, 42.1% have had 4 doses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re scheduled to do a Caribbean ABC island cruise 12/26. Have been watching trends on ships. It seems this sailing will most likely be almost if not completely full. Several questions come to mind: how often is the crew tested, only with symptoms?  Would be nice if Princess mandated mask wearing in public places, but prob won’t. Am leaning towards having minimal cabin service by steward to keep us safe. 
Am tired of the cancelled cruises we’ve missed and anxious to go but am concerned about repeat infections. I got it a few months ago after flying to a family gathering, fortunately hubby never turned positive. I barely had symptoms. We’re both fully vaxxed & boosted. Like everyone else,

Covid fatigue is real but I want to live my life too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1