Over 800 people have COVID on the Majestic Princess

PescadoAmarillo

It did not surprise us that Majestic had an increase in numbers of covid.  We got off Majestic last month and we had at least 100 cases then.  Thankfully we never got covid and wore our masks pretty regularly, plus we were fully vaccinated with both boosters.  We saw that room stewards wore their masks, but in the buffet quite a few of the waiters (getting drinks, etc) did not and a lot of the people serving and cooking the food were not wearing masks.  We saw quite a few passengers not wearing masks and coughing without covering mouths, etc.  They had signs everywhere to wear masks indoors, and in elevators but a lot of people didn't and when someone said something to them there was a lot of ignoring and commenting under their breath.  IF a cruise line is going to say something is mandatory, then they should be having staff making sure of that, otherwise don't have signs saying mandatory.  6 people per elevator signs but quite a few people ran in anyway.  I did hear staff saying that they did not want to cause trouble by telling passengers about the masks, social distancing.  In the main DR, the tables were not socially distanced either; lines in venues still had people right next to each other, sometimes, without masks.  Some people we knew that had covid, said their cases were very mild and they had to isolate. 

I know we have to live with the virus, but it is hard to figure out the happy medium with rules regarding testing, masks, social distancing.  If they want to reduce the numbers and decide masks have to be worn, maintain social distancing, etc. then factor in the acceptance of testing or no testing, accepting unvaccinated passengers, then where do we go from there? 

We were just glad to get out and travel again.  On our cruise we had to test 3 days prior because our cruise was longer than the 16 days, and then we tested again at least two more times required by Princess before Hawaii and Tahiti. 

Edited by alibabacruisers
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

It's also important to keep things in perspective with regards to "cases" and "outbreaks".  Don't forget that for every case and outbreak, there are millions of people going about their daily lives without masks and who are not a "case".

And those millions are not on a Princess cruise ship.

18 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I also agree with sabreline above, those with co-morbidities and those with underlying conditions should not be exposing themselves to covid unnecessarily and cruising is not a necessity.

Remember that underlying conditions include being overweight, having diabetes, being a current or former smoker, having high blood pressure and a number of other conditions.

Cruise ships would be almost empty if all those with underlying conditions did not cruise.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Per this article https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/13/australia/australia-covid-majestic-princess-cruise-passengers-intl-hnk/index.html  about 800 of the cases were passengers which means about 25% of the passengers had detected Covid.

The 800 number of course does not include passengers who were infected but not to a detectable level when tested on board and do not know they are infected until after the cruise

According to posts earlier in this thread all passengers had to pass a Covid test at the terminal before boarding.

This event shows that passengers and crew must follow every known precaution for preventing Covid spread.

I do not claim to know the secret for avoiding Covid spread on cruise ships, but I do realize that in the areas of the world that Princess no longer requires any passengers to be vaccinated and nobody is required to be tested pre-cruise what happened on the Majestic can easily happen on other cruise ships.

With the Majestic being a 12-day voyage, the chances for having detectable Covid before disembarkation is higher than on a shorter voyage.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It is very sad but there are obviousluy people who may be asymptomatic yet have a positive RAT test who simply photograph a previously taken negative test strip and board the ships just putting everyone else on board at risk.
Then of course there are those with no symptoms yet, have  a negative test strip and then start feeling after boarding by which time they've spread the pathogen.

So, who do you trust ?

Only yourself!

Be careful, be vigilant and be prepared!

• Like 6

Did the people that were continuing on after Sydney need to disembark, quarantine and then fly home or could they isolate on the ship? 
I'm wondering what will happen on the 111 day world cruise.  I hope we can just isolate until we test negative and continue on. 

This increase in onboard cases is of great concern to me. Does Princess have a cancellation policy in place to issue FCC to those with health issues unwilling to chance infection. I’ve cruised 3 times post pandemic with no issues (restrictions in place). We are on 11/19 Enchanted snd now I am very concerned for our well being.

• Like 3

Just now, luv4cruises said:

This increase in onboard cases is of great concern to me. Does Princess have a cancellation policy in place to issue FCC to those with health issues unwilling to chance infection. I’ve cruised 3 times post pandemic with no issues (restrictions in place). We are on 11/19 Enchanted snd now I am very concerned for our well being.

Not really... need to purchase insurance.

Just now, luv4cruises said:

I have insurance but I don’t think it covers “”risk of infection” -just actual illness, 

Thus turn of events is very stressful. 

You'll need some sort lf 'Cancel for Any Reason' insurance.  Cruise lines have pretty much thrown the doors wide open to anybody wishing to cruise with few restrictions.  I'm sure you're well aware of this and if the possibility of infection is stressing you considerably, I'd say you ought to reconsider your vacation choice.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, luv4cruises said:

Do what is right for you and your health.  We had a HAL cruise booked for 3/4/2020 to 3/17/2020, when covid was first starting.  We chose to not go.  We had decided not to go even if our ins. would not give us our money back. We did get our money back, we had cancel for any reason ins.  At the time we made our decision I did not think our ins would give the money back. But they did.

That cruise was the last cruise that that ship made.  Then cruising stopped.  We were so glad that we did not go.

We still have not gone back to cruising.  We miss it a little,  But with our health (preexisting conditions and age) we feel safer on land with our own DRS. 

I don't want to be on a ship now, for us taking a cruise now would not be like before covid.  

Everyone has to decide for themselves.  Are you going to be able to enjoy your cruise?  Are you going to be able to enjoy all the on board actives like before?  Will you have any fear attached to the cruise?

Think it out and do what is best for you.

I wish you the best.

Geo

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

I assume Princess is providing all the test kits described in this thread such as those required prior to boarding and visiting some ports that require it?  Is this accurate?  

I know that for the world cruise we’re on our own for the test before boarding.  Must be 48 hours before boarding.  Or within 48 hours. 

24 minutes ago, junglejane said:

Is Princess still moving people to quarantine cabins these days, or having them quarantine in their own staterooms? (I'm asking more as general policy than about the Majestic specifically).

It depends on capacity and when during the cruise someone tests positive.  If it happens towards  the end of the cruise, they may just have you isolate in your own cabin.  I know some cruises are sailing at nearly 100% capacity and in that case, you will have to isolate in your cabin.  I was told last week that the cruise we were on still had a small number of quarantine cabins available but that cruise had very low capacity.  Someone mentioned you can identify the number of those in isolation but seeing a small table in the hallways.  I never saw one on our sailing although, didn’t really roam any hallways other than our own.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, junglejane said:

Is Princess still moving people to quarantine cabins these days, or having them quarantine in their own staterooms? (I'm asking more as general policy than about the Majestic specifically).

Reading the live from thread from the just completed Coral Princess Round Australia cruise

infected passengers were quarantined in their cabins.  I don't know if that is Princess' new policy on all ships or was specific to the Coral Princess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Do what is right for you and your health.  … Are you going to be able to enjoy your cruise?  Are you going to be able to enjoy all the on board actives like before?  Will you have any fear attached to the cruise?

Think it out and do what is best for you.

This is exactly right. My DH is cruising several B2B cruises right now. I am always thinking about whether I should join him for one. There is a 10-night cruise coming up (the others are all longer than two weeks) and I think it MIGHT be safe.  Yesterday he was on the phone with me and stopped to talk with his cabin steward and I miss that. I miss the wonderful cabin stewards saying “If there’s anything at all that you need, just let me know”. I miss the shows and the food and the drinks. After two cruises, he finally got what used to be known as a traditional dining table, so I wouldn’t have to deal with long lines outside the dining room before meals. It’s all there, waiting for me. 

But then I remember being sick for four months after just a few days on the Ruby in late March. Coughing so much I couldn’t talk for four months. I know that I am still getting my stamina back after that. And, for me, though he is there, though the cabin would be perfect, the the dining would be perfect, I can’t convince myself to join him. People say we have to get on with life. At home, I go out frequently, I meet friends, I don’t wear a mask and I don’t get sick because I’m not in the close proximity of a cruise ship for days at a time. I AM getting on with life. I’m just not cruising. 

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

Re passengers quarantining in own cabin - are the isolation cabins perhaps for those with inside cabins ? 

They were for everyone in the past but now they are allowing capacity to be at nearly 100%, I’m not really sure.  I bet that if there are not enough isolation cabins, you may be stuck in an inside cabin if that’s what you originally booked.  
The good thing is, most people are not testing positive right at the beginning of their cruise.  So, the days you might spend in isolation are lessened.  

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

At home, I go out frequently, I meet friends, I don’t wear a mask

Most of us do. You just have to live for today and forget about catching anything.

It holds true being on the ship also. 

Seeing anyone wearing a mask lately is rare here in Florida. Yes there are a few, but most people have gotten past wearing them.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Not really... need to purchase insurance.

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

You'll need some sort lf 'Cancel for Any Reason' insurance.  Cruise lines have pretty much thrown the doors wide open to anybody wishing to cruise with few restrictions.  I'm sure you're well aware of this and if the possibility of infection is stressing you considerably, I'd say you ought to reconsider your vacation choice.

We booked a December cruise when Princess said the policy was for at least 90% of passengers to be vaccinated, all passengers needed to be tested before the cruise and 100% of the crew would be masked.

That sounded very low risk for catching Covid, so we make the booking. No need for CFAR insurance since our main concern, Covid prevention, was fully addressed by Princess.

By the time of final payment, Princess had changed to saying not 90 % had to be vaccinated, but anyone not vaccinated had to be tested pre-cruise. Basically, not quite as safe, but still likely very low risk if we wore N95 masks (as we planned to do) when appropriate.

But now, Princess says welcome aboard anyone who is not vaccinated and nobody needs to be tested. Not quite the safe environment we were told the cruise would be when we booked it.

Princess changed the parameters. Princess should allow those who booked with the assurance that Covid protocols for boarding the ship would be in place to cancel now with full FCCs for all payments including the use of bonus FCCs that had been used.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

We booked a December cruise when Princess said the policy was for at least 90% of passengers to be vaccinated, all passengers needed to be tested before the cruise and 100% of the crew would be masked.

That sounded very low risk for catching Covid, so we make the booking. No need for CFAR insurance since our main concern, Covid prevention, was fully addressed by Princess.

By the time of final payment, Princess had changed to saying not 90 % had to be vaccinated, but anyone not vaccinated had to be tested pre-cruise. Basically, not quite as safe, but still likely very low risk if we wore N95 masks (as we planned to do) when appropriate.

But now, Princess says welcome aboard anyone who is not vaccinated and nobody needs to be tested. Not quite the safe environment we were told the cruise would be when we booked it.

Princess changed the parameters. Princess should allow those who booked with the assurance that Covid protocols for boarding the ship would be in place to cancel now with full FCCs for all payments including the use of bonus FCCs that had been used.

This. Times 1000. But we’ve been down this road before. Most will disagree. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, caribill said:

I agree with you. I booked the cruise I am on with the understanding that everyone (except those with medical exemptions) would be vaccinated. I was cool with that. I was disappointed that after final payment - rules had changed.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, caribill said:

“That sounded very low risk for catching Covid, so we make the booking. No need for CFAR insurance since our main concern, Covid prevention, was fully addressed by Princess.“

Given the world we live in these days I would not recommend anyone book any travel, cruise or otherwise, without either travel insurance in the case of Princess voyages or in the case of rooms/flights those that at a minimum that allow changes without penalties. 

Princess offers the cancel for an reason clause in the platinum protection plan (maybe the lower cost one as well but not sure) and most hotels/airlines charge a little more for refundable or changeable. 

This might mean future cruise (or flight) credits vs cash refund but at least the investment isn’t lost entirely. 

Another obvious benefit of the insurance is medical coverage and evacuation should it be needed. Just my thoughts on this. 

• Like 2

Except on "fully vaccinated" cruises, outbreaks happened, cruises were canceled, people were quarantined. 

Clean your cabin when you get in, take precautions, bump up your immune system before going, and enjoy your cruise.  Or wait it out until you feel the number is low enough.  Your decision, but obviously enough people felt that cruising under too restrictive conditions was not for them.

• Like 3