Shorts in MDR

FLCruZar

5 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

While, I understand the idea that people should be able to dress down, I personally prefer that the evening meal should be without the shorts and t-shirts.   We live in South Georgia and find that in most restaurants you can dress that way, even the top ones, but they usually keep the AC so  cold, that we would be freezing wearing shorts and t-shirts.

so you prefer the evening meal be without shorts and t-shirts. Do you want people to go naked?

1 hour ago, SG65CB said:

Wear whatever you would wear to a white-tablecloth restaurant at home. It's nice to dress properly and show respect for the location and occasion. 

Using that definition, yup, short and an untucked polo shirt are fine. 

This is the MDR check-in on Formal Night on the Wonder of the Seas

image.png.df3638e1c2e76b09ca352ddc909bc67d.png

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Wear whatever you would wear to a white-tablecloth restaurant at home. It's nice to dress properly and show respect for the location and occasion. 

“Properly”? By whose definition? 

The family went to an upscale (think $300 per head) steakhouse here a couple weeks ago. 
The clientele looked just like the MDR on board. Some men in suits, some in slacks and shirt/no tie, many (including 4 in my party) in pleated shorts and button down shirts. 

EVERYONE in the restaurant were dressed “properly”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Shorts are shorts. Call them whatever you want but as long as it fits your interpretation of what is out of place.  As they should have. More staff at the entrance to the MDR need to grow bigger stones and enforce or at least advise people of the published dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR. 

Does they mean pants are pants?   By that logic sweat pants or yoga pants are fine?

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What's with the full backpack?  Was he going to Quest afterwards? 😁  

• Haha 5

54 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Pants are pants.  Sorry I can't answer your question as I'm not employed by RC. 

My comment was in reply to you saying shorts are shorts.  That isn’t Royals statement, it’s yours.   I assume pants are pants by your logic.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Viable answer: They came back from an excursion right as their dinner window began and didn't have time to go to their rooms

Smart ass answer: lobster night. He's planning on leftovers.

And the other answers is who cares.  Plus the other guys in jeans and untucked shirts aren’t exactly gonna win any awards at the fashion show either.  

I’ve seen a massive range of attire for so long now and it just does matter.  I find it fascinating this still bothers.  I quite like it feeling like vacation (meaning low stress and being comfortable).  Beach weeks are always very casual even at the nicest restaurants on the water.  Why shouldn’t a Caribbean cruise be casual too?  

I like your second answer and I’m now debating bringing a backpack to all future dinners where I really like the menu.  😂😂

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Viable answer: They came back from an excursion right as their dinner window began and didn't have time to go to their rooms

Smart ass answer: lobster night. He's planning on leftovers.

No judgement but - If I was just returning from an excursion - more than likely tired and in need of a shower - I would be heading for a quick buffet dinner, and not a sit down dinner. But that is just me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topnole said:

My comment was in reply to you saying shorts are shorts.  That isn’t Royals statement, it’s yours.   I assume pants are pants by your logic.  

And my comment shorts are shorts to @HSDerm348 was a sarcastic one. Go back and reread the post (#19). In his eyes not all shorts are created equal. IMO, shorts are shorts. Call them whatever you want. 

Edited by davekathy

7 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not going to happen, for one simple reason; this is NOT what the majority of their paying customers want. The majority want a more relaxed experience; especially on the standard 7/8 day Caribbean itinerary

I know that. Just saying how it should be, not the way it ever will be. We like the relaxed suggested dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR compared to years past. You'll always find me in the MDR on the first evening in shorts. All other evenings, I dress IAW my wife's suggestions. 😁

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

“Properly”? By whose definition?

Properly as in good etiquette. We can ask Miss Manners. I'll bet she has an opinion on what constitutes "proper" dress in the formal dining room on a cruise ship. 

45 minutes ago, davekathy said:

And my comment shorts are shorts to @HSDerm348 was a sarcastic one. Go back and reread the post (#19). In his eyes not all shorts are created equal. IMO, shorts are shorts. Call them whatever you want. 

I think I understand you.   But your comment caused me to think this is far from true.  Pants are not all the same at all.  Sweat pants are not dress pants.  Baggy jeans are long pants, but they are far from dress slacks.  

Same as dress shorts are not basketball shorts.  The only difference between many of my shorts and my suit pants is the length of the inseam.  My gym shorts are nothing like my dress shorts, but they are exactly like my sweat pants other than the inseam.  I am not permitted to golf in gym shorts at my club and shirts must be tucked in.  But I can go to dinner in golf shorts.  

A gentleman in shorts and a nice golf shirt can often look much better than a person wearing “pants”, particularly if all pants are pants.  Respectfully, I have to agree with the other poster on this.  

Regardless, I’m just having a little fun on the topic.   I don’t care if one wears shorts or a suit and I’ve worn both many times on cruises.   I’m from Florida and it is usually hot.  People wear shorts to everything here.  The Caribbean is even hotter.  Shorts are comfortable and people are on vacation.  Times have changed (and it has been a while since that started as we all know).  There is good and bad with most changes.  

On that note, I’m just glad I don’t have to play golf in a 3 piece wool suit like they did in the early 1900s.   

Edited by topnole
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Not sure for the reason of sarcasm, I was trying to reiterate to the original poster (#1) what I wear with some level of description and what I’ve seen.  Perhaps I can summarize it up for you in a manner that is perhaps less triggering or deserving of sarcasm while still being helpful to the original poster (still #1)?

1) I wear shorts and shirts that would not otherwise be worn in a gym;

2) Some people do wear clothes that would be worn in a gym and have been allowed to dine but it is not common so they look a bit more out of place because of their less common occurrence; and

3) RCL staff do still really seem to dislike swimwear.

Same points.  Less traumatic for some of you?  Geesh.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, HSDerm348 said:

Not sure for the reason of sarcasm, I was trying to reiterate to the original poster (#1) what I wear with some level of description and what I’ve seen.  Perhaps I can summarize it up for you in a manner that is perhaps less triggering or deserving of sarcasm while still being helpful to the original poster (still #1)?

2) Some people do wear clothes that would be worn in a gym and have been allowed to dine but it is not common so they look a bit more out of place because of their less common occurrence; and

"...dislike swimwear." We are discussing rules, not what anyone likes or dislikes"

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The ladies look so smart and have obviously took time and effort into looking nice

Personally when we go out for dinner I would shower and change into fresh smart clothes.  I guess as long as my table mates don't smell then it's all good 

15 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

so you prefer the evening meal be without shorts and t-shirts. Do you want people to go naked?

I suppose some people would prefer that, but not me.

For and evening meal, even to restaurants in my local area, I always wear a shirt with a collar and trousers, not shorts and t-shirt.  We only dine out a couple of times a month and want to make it special.  It is nice to see other diners with the same.  

I remember when I was a kid in the 50s, even when we went to the Dairy Queen, my dad would wear his coat and tie and mom dressed nice.   Clearly that is not the culture today.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HSDerm348 said:

I understand what you originally said and my reply to what you said, "I regularly wear dressier shorts (ie no gym or, for me, even plain khaki shorts) and a collared shirt to all restaurants and I’ve never felt out of place or underdressed.  I’ve seen people wearing mostly gym-level attire and they look out of place but still allowed".

Hench my comment, "shorts are shorts" no matter your interpretation of what shorts are or what types should be allowed in the MDR in the evening.  

I personally don't care what others wear in the MDR in the evening. Above my pay grade. 

"Geesh". 😂

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1