Caribbean December Weather

nolegirl01

We will be sailing on the Symphony for Christmas and was wondering how the weather will be in December. Does it get a bit chilly? and by chilly I mean like 65-78ish? (I'm from South FL so that is considered chilly for us lol). Wondering also the water temp? Right now in Miami, the water temp for us locals is a bit on the cold side but wonder if the caribbean will be warmer? thanks!

2 hours ago, nolegirl01 said:

We will be sailing on the Symphony for Christmas and was wondering how the weather will be in December. Does it get a bit chilly? and by chilly I mean like 65-78ish? (I'm from South FL so that is considered chilly for us lol). Wondering also the water temp? Right now in Miami, the water temp for us locals is a bit on the cold side but wonder if the caribbean will be warmer? thanks!

So, the Bahamas is 184 miles from Miami (South Florida where you live) and it is just slightly South, but not farther South than Key West.  I'm going to say you already know the answer.

We had a first week of January cruise years ago out of New Orleans. It was 29 degrees when we left(39 in Miami that morning for comparison). When we got to Cozumel it finally broke 70, but not much more than that. Coldest cruise I've ever been on. It can happen, but that was a rarity. I'd say 80's are a more likely result. 

It looks like the average water temp in St. Thomas and St.Maarten is about 82 in December,. Air temps will be warmer. Asfar as Coco Cay, well,... it's the Bahamas.

I grew up in Jacksonville, and lived in Hawaii for 8 year - I too do not like cool ocean temps... I've enjoyed the Caribbean in Winter.

Aloha,

John

12 hours ago, nolegirl01 said:

Go to weather.com and check for your ports. It will show the average temp in those ports versus random experience. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

We don't think you'll have any problems with temps in December.  We do most of our longer sailings to Caribbean Dec through, say, March.  We do snorkeling all through, but March is perhaps when the water temps are lowest [maybe 76-78ish F or so is all depending how far south; mostly 80ish Grand Turk south].   December is good though. 

On 11/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, nolegirl01 said:

Weathertech.com 

On 11/14/2022 at 11:08 PM, fsjosh said:

We had a first week of January cruise years ago out of New Orleans. It was 29 degrees when we left(39 in Miami that morning for comparison). When we got to Cozumel it finally broke 70, but not much more than that. Coldest cruise I've ever been on. It can happen, but that was a rarity. I'd say 80's are a more likely result. 

Had one cruise out of Tampa just like that....left with temps right at freezing and it was still only in the 60's  and windy when we got to Cozumel.....that was a strong cold front.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1