Royal testing cutting dinner menu and charge extra for second Lobster.

Jim_Iain

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/royal-caribbean-tests-major-dining-changes-you-wont-be-happy

Interesting article from the owner of Celebrity.   They will test slimming down the MDR menu and elimination of anytime menu to "Speed Up" the dinner service.  

Currently, the test is only being done on Symphony of the Seas and the cruise line "is adamant they will be listening to guest feedback onboard the ship for their opinions," wrote Hochberg, whose blog is not affiliated with Royal Caribbean.

In addition, the company also made a change to one of its most popular offerings, lobster tails, which are generally served on the second formal night of sailings six nights or longer. Previously, while your entree was served with one lobster tail, you could get more if you asked. On the test menu, a second lobster tail would cost $16.99 plus an 18% gratuity.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I just read the article and think this is a terrible idea. I agree that many passengers order multiple entrees that they don't fully eat, but part of that problem is that the waiters encourage this practice. Instead, the kitchen could offer 2nd helpings as sides, where you can get a half order of a dish instead of getting a 2nd full plate of food. I routinely order off what was referred to as the "classics" menu when the menu of the day doesn't appeal to me. It's nice to know that salmon or a steak is always available. I'm not sure how eliminating that option will speed up service. If they continue to slim down the menu in MDRs the cruiselines risk turning their "restaurant" into a school cafeteria. 

• Like 14

We too think that eliminating the "Timeless Entrees", especially the salmon and steak, is a huge negative particularly for someone who has dietary restrictions.  Hopefully Celebrity will take this into consideration before making a major change like this.

• Like 6

I have seen so much food wasted in the MDR's through the years...I don't get the appeal of ordering 2-3 of something and eating maybe half.  You ordered it, you eat it.  That's how I was raised..don't let your eyes over load your mouth.  

2nd thought, I assume most of y'all have been grocery shopping lately....D, JD.  

So I clicked on the article..it leads with this , which is nice. 

"Taking a cruise -- at least for most passengers -- means eating a lot."

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Instead, the kitchen could offer 2nd helpings as sides, where you can get a half order of a dish instead of getting a 2nd full plate of food

This.

I've often asked for *part* of a meal (usually the meat), but been served the entire thing. Or, when asking for a smaller potion (of like pasta for example), will just be brought the entire dish.

I assume it's easier on the kitchen to just bring an entire order, but it definitely contributes to the problem of waste.

• Like 8

The article pertains to Royal, not Celebrity. With more and more people pushing for a more casual experience, they want the quick in and out/fast casual crappy chain restaurant experience you can get in suburban anywhere USA. The appeal of the two hour+ dinner is fading. 

• Like 4

I hate long drawn out meals.  Feed me promptly without making me wait ten minutes between courses!

But the everyday menu choices are needed because so often there is nothing appealing on the menu — especially for those with allergies, religious restrictions and phobias against vegetables!!  How do these always available entrees slow down service?

Upcharges for a second entree?  I don’t eat lobster (allergy) but getting seconds is a long time cruise tradition.

• Like 6

We almost always travel in Retreat Class and find the "Timeless Entree's" very useful when there is nothing appealing on the limited Retreat Menu.  Our go to is the Children's 4 ounce Filet.  We also often order from the MDR menu when available on M and S Class.    Elimination of the Timeless Entree's would be a major blow to Luminae on E-Class.

I know the article stated MDR but would expect it to also include other dining rooms if it were implemented.

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

This.

I've often asked for *part* of a meal (usually the meat), but been served the entire thing. Or, when asking for a smaller potion (of like pasta for example), will just be brought the entire dish.

I assume it's easier on the kitchen to just bring an entire order, but it definitely contributes to the problem of waste.

the meals are pre plated so the waiter goes in takes takes the first one in the line unless it is specially cooked for allergies

I can't remember ever ordering 2 entrees. Maybe 2 appetizers if I wanted a salad. I don't like the idea of eliminating everyday items, especially if they eliminate escargot. I can see it speeding up dinner if they have to cook the everyday entree vs having the menu items prepared. We don't cruise for a fast meal so not in favor of this. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't get too worried, at least not yet. 

First off, this is just a test.  There may be changes when this is deployed to the rest of the Royal fleet.

Second, Royal Caribbean International does like to have a differentiation between the brands.  Royal Carribean made a change where they charge for Room Service, but it's still included on Celebrity.  Royal Carribean charges to use the chat feature on the app, which is included on Celebrity.  Just because they are making changes on Royal, it doesn't' necessarily mean that it's coming to Celebrity (though it is possible...the app is basically the same on both lines, and they are putting Infinite Verandas on Icon of the Seas.)

Finally, I don't think all the changes are necessarily bad.  I'd rather have one free maine lobster tail on lobster night, then multiple free warm water tails.  This is the same "extra charge" lobster tail you can order at an upcharge on any night.

Edited by karl_nj
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

the meals are pre plated so the waiter goes in takes takes the first one in the line unless it is specially cooked for allergies

Yes and no. Allergies obviously, but also other things like holding a specific item. I'm fine waiting a little longer to get exactly what I want. 

HAL did something similar in 2019 (theirs was $10 for a second entrée) and people are still talking about it even though the test only lasted a few weeks and was abandoned due to the overwhelmingly negative outcry.  Not very popular, needless to say.  I would be extremely annoyed if I were on a sailing that was conducting such a test that I couldn't opt out of.  I don't like being forced to be a guinea pig, especially when I'm the one paying for the experience.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

This is all about money. They are proposing to eliminate the two most expensive menu items (steak and salmon) and charge for a third. 

It's actually the everyday chicken that seems to be totally gone.  There is still usually a salmon and/or a steak on the menu every day.  Just not the "everyday" steak or the "everyday" salmon.  e.g. on the night they serve Steak Dianne, there is no everyday steak.  On the night there is a different salmon (or a different fish), there is not the additional choice of the everyday salmon.  

I hope the feedback from this trial run is definitively negative! 

How can RCL think taking away classics will be a good thing?

My husband and I eat in the MDR every night on a cruise. We are buffet denizens for all breakfasts and lunches but we love the atmosphere in MDR for dinner,  just sitting and talking and sampling breads and the day's specialties.. We get an appetizer, a soup or salad and an entree.  We don't stay for dessert. It's a wonderful hour to spend together. 

I don't enjoy most types of red meat, and neither of us eats seafood. I always have the classic chicken if nothing else appeals and it's delicious. 

I think if this gets applied to Celebrity, we'd still go, my husband would still enjoy everything , and i'd pick the least unappealing option. And I'm sure the wait staff will fret when I don't finish my food.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

It's actually the everyday chicken that seems to be totally gone.  There is still usually a salmon and/or a steak on the menu every day.  Just not the "everyday" steak or the "everyday" salmon.  e.g. on the night they serve Steak Dianne, there is no everyday steak.  On the night there is a different salmon (or a different fish), there is not the additional choice of the everyday salmon.  

I haven't analyzed their current menu, but my guess is there might be a beef or pork dish on their menu every day, not a steak.  Meatloaf,  ribs, etc. Even their prime rib is more like a slice of roast beef. To us steak eaters, that's a huge difference.  

16 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

This is all about money. They are proposing to eliminate the two most expensive menu items (steak and salmon) and charge for a third. 

Yeah. It's not apples to apples given the environment from 2021 to 2022, but based on RCG's last earnings....

Nine Months Ended September 30, 2022 Compared to Nine Months Ended September 30, 2021

•a $375.8 million increase in Food expense.

4 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I haven't analyzed their current menu, but my guess is there might be a beef or pork dish on their menu every day, not a steak.  Meatloaf,  ribs, etc. Even their prime rib is more like a slice of roast beef. To us steak eaters, that's a huge difference.  

Yes to some degree.  1) prime rib 2) beef tenderloin 3) classic ny strip 4) steak diane (e.g. ny strip with different sauce) 5) flank steak 6) classic ny strip 7) grilled mediterrian steak (maybe ny strip with different sauce?)

But keep in mind the everyday steak on royal isn't as good as the everyday steak on celebrity.

Edited by karl_nj
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/royal-caribbean-tests-major-dining-changes-you-wont-be-happy

Interesting article from the owner of Celebrity.   They will test slimming down the MDR menu and elimination of anytime menu to "Speed Up" the dinner service.  

Currently, the test is only being done on Symphony of the Seas and the cruise line "is adamant they will be listening to guest feedback onboard the ship for their opinions," wrote Hochberg, whose blog is not affiliated with Royal Caribbean.

In addition, the company also made a change to one of its most popular offerings, lobster tails, which are generally served on the second formal night of sailings six nights or longer. Previously, while your entree was served with one lobster tail, you could get more if you asked. On the test menu, a second lobster tail would cost $16.99 plus an 18% gratuity.

Too bad if that comes here.

I usually order a second lobster tail on the last EC night.  However on our recently completed Constellation TA, I forgot to ask--partly because I am out of practice (my first cruise since the pandemic).  However our waiter already had 2nd lobster tails that he delivered to everyone at our table.  Nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

This.

I was on the Apex in Retreat last December and specifically asked for part of one entree to be plated with another. Instead they brought out both. The photo below shows what was served when the request was Scallops on a bed of risotto.  I was annoyed and thought in Luminae I would get the service I requested, which tbh wasn't that big of a deal and it was precisely to avoid food waste and clutter on the table. I was chastised for be annoyed about this. 🤷

PXL_20211219_004124149.thumb.jpg.2a5b7c75df6347dd0c8311cb45db268b.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I was on the Apex in Retreat last December and specifically asked for part of one entree to be plated with another. Instead they brought out both. The photo below shows what was served when the request was Scallops on a bed of risotto.  I was annoyed and thought in Luminae I would get the service I requested, which tbh wasn't that big of a deal and it was precisely to avoid food waste and clutter on the table. I was chastised for be annoyed about this. 🤷

PXL_20211219_004124149.thumb.jpg.2a5b7c75df6347dd0c8311cb45db268b.jpg

In Luminae last week on the Constellation, they were more than happy to add scallops to my lobster tail dish without giving me an entire extra dish.  And when I asked for a smaller version of a stir fry as my appetizer, that is exactly what I got.  So it definitely can be done in Luminae and I think being willing to do this more often could save a lot in waste (which translates to food dollars).

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I agree this is about the money but I am not 100% sure that steak, salmon, or lobster played as heavily in the decision as did the amount of leftover.  With a smaller menu, the chefs are able to more accurately estimate what the demand for items will be and thus reduce the amount of waste.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I can't remember ever ordering 2 entrees. Maybe 2 appetizers if I wanted a salad. I don't like the idea of eliminating everyday items, especially if they eliminate escargot. I can see it speeding up dinner if they have to cook the everyday entree vs having the menu items prepared. We don't cruise for a fast meal so not in favor of this. 

On occasion I have ordered two entrees because both are interesting, or if I am not sure if I will like one of them (I would just order one and if I don't like it order the second but it would take an awful amount of time for the second entree).  I would be just as happy (maybe happier) if I could order a half portion of one of them however that is not an option.

Celebrity MDR is just OK at the moment.  If they go through with these changes, I will just stop sailing Celebrity and go with a better cruise line.