Category Upgrade offered-Need opinion

gr8-2travel

First time VO Cruisers leaving in less than a week.Need opinions ASAP from all you expert Viking cruisers. 

Just received an email offering an upgrade from a DV(5106) to a PV (6010). I understand the cabin will be slightly larger but I am interested in the “favorability” of one location over the other. 

TIA

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gr8-2travel said:

First time VO Cruisers leaving in less than a week.Need opinions ASAP from all you expert Viking cruisers. 

Just received an email offering an upgrade from a DV(5106) to a PV (6010). I understand the cabin will be slightly larger but I am interested in the “favorability” of one location over the other. 

TIA

GO FOR IT!  Quickly.  You didn't mention any cost so I assume it's just a trade.  If not, how much extra do you need to pay?

You don't say which itinerary so have no idea of potential sea movement.  But PV's are pretty nice and your DV is aft facing the wake.   (Of course, maybe you like the wake, but it will be a long walk from 5106 to anywhere).

Edited by CCWineLover

You also get free alcohol in your mini fridge that is restocked daily, a bottle of champagne, free pressing of clothing & shoe shine. We took the upgrade & loved it. Now it’s hard to book a smaller room. 6010 looks like a great location & just a quick flight of stairs to the Explorers Lounge!

• Like 2

I'm told center and lower cabins have less movement if you are inclined to motion sickness.  

6010 is closer to the elevator/ stair bank, so might be more convenient to get to the different venues.  

If the extra space is worth the upgrade costs, go for it, otherwise, once you are out of the cabin, all are treated equally.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

GO FOR IT!  Quickly.  You didn't mention any cost so I assume it's just a trade.  If not, how much extra do you need to pay?

You don't say which itinerary so have no idea of potential sea movement.  But PV's are pretty nice and your DV is aft facing the wake.   (Of course, maybe you like the wake, but it will be a long walk from 5106 to anywhere).

Wondering the upgrade cost too.  We have upgraded when offered for different prices but always worth it.

Thank you everyone. So happy to see all the positive comments.

There is no cost, just an email telling us we had a complimentary upgrade! We wouldn’t have turned it down unless it sounded like a “too good to be true deal” and that’s what I was trying to determine with my posting in asking for feedback (since we are new to this cruise line.)

We are on the Journey to Antiquities from Athens to Rome. 
We wouldn’t have minded the extra walking (good for burning all those extra calories) and aí think the Viking agent that booked us originally was addressing my concern to not be a noisy area. Now that we will be so close to the stairs we will get our workout that way instead! 😂 

The clothes pressing will certainly be a big plus! 

So looking forward to this vacation and hoping all flights will go as planned and all be on time. Now if the weather will cooperate 😂😂😂

• Like 3

6009 has the slider, which we prefer, and faces forward.  That’s my favorite combination.  However, on the world cruise we had 6013, which faces forward, but has the door and has the door and window combo.  We were fine with that for 4 1/2 months!

A exceptionally fine offer -- N/C !!   We are about 2 weeks out, so hoping for a upgrade offer.  We are in a DV2, and would absolutely love a PV 1, 2, or 3. 

Will be 2nd time on VO.  1st time, we booked a V2 GTY, and were given a DV4 -- N/C, but not offered, just assigned about 2 weeks out.  Enjoy your cruise.  

• Like 1

Wow! I was about to chime in and say we were glad we paid the $199pp upgrade for our 12 night cruise we were offered similar to yours but for free, it’s a no brainer.  

I will say that while we enjoyed the extra space and the pressing (loved having everything wrinkle free) we decided the extra space wouldn’t be worth much more to us than what we paid for it. 

If you haven’t already, you might want to peruse this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

Have a great first cruise!

How many cruises on Viking have you done?  Just wondering how you were so lucky to be visited by the Upgrade Fairy?  Enjoy!  although I do love aft cabin would really love the extra room. 

5 minutes ago, deec said:

How many cruises on Viking have you done?  Just wondering how you were so lucky to be visited by the Upgrade Fairy?  Enjoy!  although I do love aft cabin would really love the extra room. 

OP says it’s the  first ocean

• Like 1

I'm hoping I'm hit by the Upgrade Fairy.  Still waiting on assignment for my V2 GTY for Jan 2 cruise. 

*crossing fingers* I had a pretty crappy 2021 and 2022 and so I'm kicking off 2023 celebrating my 50th in style.  And yes, I will be 100% ok with a V2 (previously Ive been in a DV5) ...but a gal can hope, right?    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Wow! I was about to chime in and say we were glad we paid the $199pp upgrade for our 12 night cruise we were offered similar to yours but for free, it’s a no brainer.  

I will say that while we enjoyed the extra space and the pressing (loved having everything wrinkle free) we decided the extra space wouldn’t be worth much more to us than what we paid for it. 

If you haven’t already, you might want to peruse this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

Have a great first cruise!

Thank you,  Clay. I have read tons of info on the thread and found many of your comments helpful. We would have been happy with the DV as well but hey…guess we lucked out on this one. Really looking forward to the cruise and even DH is getting excited now! 😂😂

6 hours ago, deec said:

First time Viking Cruise and only a couple of other cruises many years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr8-2travel said:

Thank you,  Clay. I have read tons of info on the thread and found many of your comments helpful. We would have been happy with the DV as well but hey…guess we lucked out on this one. Really looking forward to the cruise and even DH is getting excited now! 😂😂

We had a complimentary upgrade to a DV1 on the stern but unfortunately the cruise was canceled….hopefully it will happen again. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the PV.  I had them iron everything but my socks!  LOL

have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...

I was "despairing" that I wouldn't know my cabin until boarding, but just about a week out from my Jan 3 cruise and I got the message.  Our V2 guarantee became a confirmed DV2 on level 6.  😀  Yay, closer to the Explorers Lounge🍸!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mariavii said:

I was "despairing" that I wouldn't know my cabin until boarding, but just about a week out from my Jan 3 cruise and I got the message.  Our V2 guarantee became a confirmed DV2 on level 6.  😀  Yay, closer to the Explorers Lounge🍸!

Congrats!

On 11/17/2022 at 9:34 PM, SantaFe1 said:

6009 has the slider, which we prefer, and faces forward.  That’s my favorite combination.  However, on the world cruise we had 6013, which faces forward, but has the door and has the door and window combo.  We were fine with that for 4 1/2 months!

We have the door right now on our world cruise, no slider was available when I booked it.  TBH, I really don’t care which we have anymore after using it, nor do I understand the appeal of the slider.