Need Drink Suggestions...

MaderaMan

We are leaving on the Dec 2 Panama Canal cruise (16 day to Houston from San Francisco)

For the first time, we have the drink package (up to 14 alcoholic drinks per day) and despite our advanced ages, we typically stick to bourbon, brandy, and wine, with an occasional beer.

Am interested in any/all drink recommendations that are low sugar. I am diabetic, and neither of us want much sugar. Anybody have any good mixed drink suggestions that aren't too high in sugar?

Thank you all for any recommendations!  

Edited by MaderaMan

1 hour ago, MaderaMan said:

We are leaving on the Dec 2 Panama Canal cruise (16 day to Houston from San Francisco)

For the first time, we have the drink package (up to 14 alcoholic drinks per day) and despite our advanced ages, we typically stick to bourbon, brandy, and wine, with an occasional beer.

Am interested in any/all drink recommendations that are low sugar. I am diabetic, and neither of us want much sugar. Anybody have any good mixed drink suggestions that aren't too high in sugar?

I try to avoid extra sugary drinks. Other than tequila, either on the rocks or neat, and Martinis, I like the Beverly Hills Iced Tea, it’s similar to a Long Island Iced Tea but has sparkling wine instead of coke & it has simple syrup. I just tell  them no simple syrup. 

Its really hard to find not so sugary drinks, even their Margaritas use the sugary sweet & sour mix so I stay away from those.

The good thing is if you don’t like a drink, you can just order something else.

The less ingredients a drink has, the better it will be as far as sugar goes. 

Have a great cruise and enjoy your drink package!

• Like 2

I love a well made Bloody Caesar .. spicy please and with a bit of extra horseradish if they have it available.  Yes to the olives, celery and cocktail onions and a squeeze of lemon or lime.  Tito’s vodka, also .. I know, I know … sounds picky but they are so yummm!  

18 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I love a well made Bloody Caesar .. spicy please and with a bit of extra horseradish if they have it available.  Yes to the olives, celery and cocktail onions and a squeeze of lemon or lime.  Tito’s vodka, also .. I know, I know … sounds picky but they are so yummm!  

Delicious!  The Bloody Caesar is a Canadian concoction from years ago, based on the American version of the Bloody Mary.  Both are great, especially if well endowed with veggies and shrimp!

• Like 1

I tend to order Bulleit - double - straight up. Sometimes I switch up and order something like Talisker or Glenlivet - again, double and straight up. I also order the Chairman of the Board martini with a twist. My other "main" drink is the 24K Gold Margarita - not blended - in a rocks glass with no salt on the rim. That may be too sweet for your strictures though. The Ultimate Bloody Mary (I order it extra spicy) is a good drink.

Edit: @MaderaMan Just looked and don't see you in the Roll Call thread for this cruise:

Edited by Thrak

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a mojito?

And yes, Thrak, I have posted several times in the Roll Call thread. Most recently about the port changes.

Thank you everyone for the ideas...regarding 'diet' soda, and bringing our own...don't the bars on board have diet soda to use as a mixer? Really don't want to haul sodas on board....

6 minutes ago, MaderaMan said:

...don't the bars on board have diet soda to use as a mixer? 

The only diet they have with the gun is diet Coke.  They sometimes have Sprite Zero in the can.  At least one bar usually has diet tonic.  The only problem is that sometimes it takes the whole week, or all 15 drinks, to find the diet tonic.   Also, try soda.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MaderaMan said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a mojito?

A Mojito is a traditional Cuban punch. The cocktail often consists of five ingredients: white rum, sugar, lime juice, soda water, and mint. Its combination of sweetness, citrus, and herbaceous mint flavors is intended to complement the rum, and has made the mojito a popular summer drink

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I looked it up.. "Bloody Ceasar" requires clam juice.  Sounds yummy but doubt the Princess bars are stocked with clam juice.

On 11/18/2022 at 3:14 PM, MaderaMan said:

Great question.  I like dirty martinis - lots of olive brine.  Of course Bloody Marys.  Diet coke and rum.  I think I will bring my own bottle of sugar free simple syrup, then add at the table.  Soda with a splash of Campari is a beautiful drink, not very alcoholic so you might be able to drink 14 of them.  Sparking wine is typically low in sugar.  

9 hours ago, marie94949 said:

I looked it up.. "Bloody Ceasar" requires clam juice.  Sounds yummy but doubt the Princess bars are stocked with clam juice.

They make it using Clamato and then add their own spices rather than a pre made mix.  I have one on every cruise.  And yes, it is super yummy!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

They make it using Clamato and then add their own spices rather than a pre made mix.  I have one on every cruise.  And yes, it is super yummy!  

Is there a favorite bar to get this at? I want to try one on my next cruise.

1 minute ago, tonit964 said:

Is there a favorite bar to get this at? I want to try one on my next cruise.

I get them mostly from Crooners.  Definitely try one and if you don’t mind spice, ask them to make it spicy.  The horseradish is a great addition, too but many bars don’t stock it.  Sometimes they will get it for you from the galley, though.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I get them mostly from Crooners.  Definitely try one and if you don’t mind spice, ask them to make it spicy.  The horseradish is a great addition, too but many bars don’t stock it.  Sometimes they will get it for you from the galley, though.  

Definitely like spicy, thank you. Looking forward to trying one. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, marie94949 said:

They just buy Clamato juice, bottled by Mott’s.  Readily available in all grocery stores in Canada, and I would assume, the US.  Just the right mix of tomato juice and clam juice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

They just buy Clamato juice, bottled by Mott’s.  Readily available in all grocery stores in Canada, and I would assume, the US.  Just the right mix of tomato juice and clam juice.

I agree even though when I make them at home, I use a nice spicy Bloody Mary mix and add my own clam juice.  Then, I add a touch of pickle juice, some horseradish and all the garnish .. and anything pickled!  

Onboard, I see they use Clamato and Worcestershire sauce and some other spices, maybe pepper and hot sauce, celery salt …

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I agree even though when I make them at home, I use a nice spicy Bloody Mary mix and add my own clam juice.  Then, I add a touch of pickle juice, some horseradish and all the garnish .. and anything pickled!  

Onboard, I see they use Clamato and Worcestershire sauce and some other spices, maybe pepper and hot sauce, celery salt …

Oh, you are so fancy!  I just used the bottled stuff, put some celery and a lemon wedge in the glass and call it a Caesar!  I’m coming to your house! lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

Oh, you are so fancy!  I just used the bottled stuff, put some celery and a lemon wedge in the glass and call it a Caesar!  I’m coming to your house! lol

I am making them on Tuesday morning … there will be plenty to share!  

• Like 1