LOUSY CRUISE ON ZUIDERDAM

FLcruiser2011

Seems like a lot of sour grapes. Cruising is suppose to be fun. Missing a port because of a medical emergency or weather is understandable, they never do say why others are cancelled. We had two ports cancelled o our Med cruise in July, no reason given.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Seems like a lot of sour grapes. Cruising is suppose to be fun. Missing a port because of a medical emergency or weather is understandable, they never do say why others are cancelled. We had two ports cancelled o our Med cruise in July, no reason given.  

I’m not sure it’s sour grapes.  Yes, cruises are supposed to be fun but then things start compounding and it isn’t the fun you hoped for.  
Some pay a premium for the cruise and expect a certain level of quality and if not met, can certainly be disappointing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That was a long time ago.  I was on a cruise on the koningsdam in March and I'm on the ship now.  The amount of cost cutting is astonishing.

I was on Koningsdam two weeks ago. I did see lots of cost cutting and it didn’t seem like they had enough help. I still had a great cruise. But, I filled out my questionnaire after I got back and let them know, both pros and cons. I think that’s the best course of action.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I was on Koningsdam two weeks ago. I did see lots of cost cutting and it didn’t seem like they had enough help. I still had a great cruise. But, I filled out my questionnaire after I got back and let them know, both pros and cons. I think that’s the best course of action.

Agree.  The staff has also been somewhat vocal  about the cuts and I find they  generally aren't so you know it's bad then.

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

Good decision, here are some of their comments and these are people ready to enter the presidents club and never complain:

The ports we did see kept changing dates 
* The food was very poor in taste, quality and selection
* Food supplies ran out after 30 days and so menus were changed to accommodate
* We ran out of Vodka/Drambuie/whiskey/Baileys/Kalua peanuts and a bunch of other things 

… another perspective…this 20 yr old ship is lovely and classy. We were onboard with the same shipmates for 6 weeks. Many received “pet names” good and bad. Sadly we noticed some passengers became more “entitled” and “demanding” as the weeks went by. So it goes….

For me, Hula and ukulele lessons were awesome and continued all the way to Pape’ete. Enjoyed the lectures and the captains noon talk. Bridge lessons and bridge play were wonderful and I came home sure of my ability to play. Loved going to bridge every sea day at 9:30am.  Permission to dance, movies, sauna, in-room dining, trivia, happy hour and our veranda cabin all 5 🌟.Yes we ran out of Vodka so we drank a lovely gin (Citadel) the last night. We ate beautiful omelettes, salads, a different soup every day on the lido and the “breads” oh my!! I can’t complain about the food but…we never do MDR for dinner because it takes so long. Often we arrived on lido to BUSY so we found something else to do and circled back in 30 mins. It wasn’t the trip of a lifetime but our lives were seriously enriched by the places we visited, the cultures we met and the people we shared it with. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of running out of things, the first night I ordered a Hendrick's gin martini, and was informed that the ship was out of Hendricks.  I subsequently asked for a Belvedere vodka martini, and was informed the ship was out of Belvedere.  Since I rather doubt that San Diego was out of these two beverages, you have to wonder why they did not restock two brands that a lot of cruisers enjoy.

I realize that these are first world problems, but you have to wonder why Holland America is not stocking beverages people like -- since they charge more than enough for them.

• Like 1

We will be flying in to sandiego in January.we have flight ease and a shuttle from Hal to the terminal. So far our boarding times have coordinated with our flights. I have minor health mobilization issues. Will I be able to sit in the terminal until our time. The more I read the more concerned I become. Thank you 

I got off the 45 day Zuiderdam on Thursday. The MDR dinners were absolutely delicious. We enjoyed every meal.

Yes, they ran out of vodka, Baileys and peanuts two days before the cruise ended. Considering the fact there was a lot of rain and some missed ports, I imagine more drinking happened. 🤪 

The rearrangement of ports was to add BoraBora!!!

Was  it the best cruise ever? No but that was due to the weather that no one can help. Before everyone says it’s the rainy season, we have done this cruise 4 times at the same time if the year. Never ran into these type of conditions. 

You make your own good time! 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

Wow. I was on the Zuiderdam last February for 35 days and it was my best cruise ever. 🤷‍♀️

us too. it was so amazing we are going on the same cruise again in 2024.. wish it was on Zuidy, but we will be on the Koningsdam this time. Cant wait to sail her!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

Speaking of running out of things, the first night I ordered a Hendrick's gin martini, and was informed that the ship was out of Hendricks.  I subsequently asked for a Belvedere vodka martini, and was informed the ship was out of Belvedere.  Since I rather doubt that San Diego was out of these two beverages, you have to wonder why they did not restock two brands that a lot of cruisers enjoy.

I realize that these are first world problems, but you have to wonder why Holland America is not stocking beverages people like -- since they charge more than enough for them.

I only wish. It is my understanding they opened the container in San Diego Oct 3rd to find none of the liquor on the manifest. They hoped it would catch us in Pape’ete. Are you all drinking on the Zuiderdam this week? I would think we would have heard as 1000+ have the drink package this trip thru the canal. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

That is crazy.  I could see some obscure alcohol but c'mon.

3 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

OK you have me concerned.  I am supposed to be on that ship in December.  I just got off the Oosterdam and the food was very good, seriously.,  Service at the Sea View Pool was excellent.  (Can’t comment on everywhere as I ended up in a wheel chair and travelling was an issue).

Lido was good.  All the specialties were very good and enjoyable.  Staff were very good.  

What to expect on the K please?  If it’s a disaster, it might not be worth the hassle of flights to San Diego and embarking there.  Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dchip said:

Was  it the best cruise ever? No but that was due to the weather that no one can help. Before everyone says it’s the rainy season, we have done this cruise 4 times at the same time if the year. Never ran into these type of conditions. 

You make your own good time! 

So well said!  If you look for things to complain about then you'll certainly find them!  

People should cruise to relax...not get worked up over things that won't matter in a year!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have a suggestion for those in high risk categories.  Before you cruise (or travel) ask your own family physician if he/she would advise you to take Paxlovid in the event you tested positive for COVID.  If so, simply explain you will be cruising/traveling and request a prescription.  We carry our own supply (for 2 persons) of Paxlovid along with several home testing kits.  For us, a big advantage of getting Paxlovid at home is that we have a prescription program that pays for the drug.  As very frequent international travelers we carry a pretty decent drug supply to handle most common issues.  

Hank

I asked our PCP if he would prescribe Paxlovid for our cruise in February - he won't because he wants to wait & see if there's a new, better med available by then ---- good move, I think.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

What to expect on the K please?  If it’s a disaster, it might not be worth the hassle of flights to San Diego and embarking there.  Thanks.

Hey Jacqui,

We did the Circle Hawaii out of Vancouver on the Koningsdam; our first time on a Pinnacle class ship. We had good service and a wonderful time, but the ship seemed crowded often. I miss the elbow room of the smaller ships.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, HAL4NOW said:

Hey Jacqui,

We did the Circle Hawaii out of Vancouver on the Koningsdam; our first time on a Pinnacle class ship. We had good service and a wonderful time, but the ship seemed crowded often. I miss the elbow room of the smaller ships.

Koningsdam always feels crowded.  Somehow they improved the flow when they built the NS as it has great flow.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Hey Jacqui,

Thanks.  Love the elbow room symbolism.  And I get it 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Koningsdam always feels crowded.  Somehow they improved the flow when they built the NS as it has great flow.  

Mary, have you sailed the Nieuw Statendam with full capacity? A few months ago, none of the ships felt over-crowded because they were sailing with 50-60% capacity.

2 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Mary, have you sailed the Nieuw Statendam with full capacity? A few months ago, none of the ships felt over-crowded because they were sailing with 50-60% capacity.

No but it just seemed to flow.  It was easier to find your way about without too many twists and turns.  I try to avoid full cruises at all costs and generally select long voyages where they are not full.  Mine was indeed a few months ago but it was also a 3 week cruise. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I asked our PCP if he would prescribe Paxlovid for our cruise in February - he won't because he wants to wait & see if there's a new, better med available by then ---- good move, I think.

Lots not to like about Paxlovid, but it does seem to be the best game in town for those of us in higher risk categories.  Will something new and better come along?  We can all hope.  DW and I have been carrying Paxlovid with us (when traveling and cruising) for quite a few months.  Fortunately (knock on a bulkhead) we have been fortunate to not have contracted covid, RSV, Influenza, Noro, etc.  With the upcoming holidays and family functions what chance do we have?  Argh.

Hank

• Like 1

On board the very full Koningsdam— haven’t run across any shortages of drinks and peanuts!  Tito’s and Coke Zero readily available everywhere as are nuts in the different venues.  Brought our own wine on board.

Ship is crowded but not anything more than we experienced on her in July on an Alaskan cruise.  Lines not too bad, service is fantastic!  They suspended ordering from the Navigator app for Dive In because they were overwhelmed on Sunday (our first sea day).  Waits up to 90 minutes for a burger….

We’re having a great time though.  Love the ship, crew.

But, I do have to mention the horrible tendering at Cabo!  We waited over three hours to go ashore but finally gave up!  Kept being told that there were safety issues.  Our tender boat number was called at 3 pm, last tender was 4:30 back to ship.  Yeah, not really a port stop!  Fortunately we’ve been to Cabo many times so didn’t miss much.

Guest services called last night (after I had expressed my concern about the tendering process in Puerto Vallarta).  Told us that the ship was not tending at PV but docking. Great news if true—hubby really wants make his tee time at El Tigre!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No but it just seemed to flow.  It was easier to find your way about without too many twists and turns.  I try to avoid full cruises at all costs and generally select long voyages where they are not full.  Mine was indeed a few months ago but it was also a 3 week cruise. 

I tend to do longer cruises too, Mary 😉 This time though it’s 3 B2B’s.  And it’s the holidays.  Never done one of these before and completely green.  One sailing at least is sold out and if the other isn’t - it might as well be.

Friends on board which was a swaying factor for me, but now re-thinking - especially if the foot hasn’t healed.  3 and 1/2 weeks to go.  Wonder if I will have my luggage back in time from my last cruise’s flight for it?  LOL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Agree.  The staff has also been somewhat vocal  about the cuts and I find they  generally aren't so you know it's bad then.

What are the cost cutting issues ? Not doubting you just curious

Edited by Wakepatrol