Is it better to amend, not show up to a cruise, or cancel it?

Jrey1515

I have recently unfortunately had to cancel my upcoming cruise with RC. I have a £300 non-refundable deposit down with them and in order to not lose out on that completely, was told I can amend the cruise date to another cruise but was told by them it would cost £75pp & an additional £50pp thereafter...£250! I asked then if I could cancel and they told me it would be a £50 cancellation cost...

So would just not showing up save me all this bother?

1 hour ago, Jrey1515 said:

I have recently unfortunately had to cancel my upcoming cruise with RC. I have a £300 non-refundable deposit down with them and in order to not lose out on that completely, was told I can amend the cruise date to another cruise but was told by them it would cost £75pp & an additional £50pp thereafter...£250! I asked then if I could cancel and they told me it would be a £50 cancellation cost...

Would that £50 “cancellation” cost be in addition to the “non-refundable deposit” , or would it be deducted from your deposit, meaning you’d get £250 back?   If so, that sounds like the best bet.   If that £50 fee is just to let you walk away from your deposit - that sounds like insanity.

The idea of spending another £250 to protect your £300 deposit only makes sense if you are CERTAIN you could make that other cruise.

• Like 1

I thought trip insurance was required in the UK?  Maybe you have until final payment to get it?  Rules are different in the UK and all the answers you have received are from folks in the US.  Perhaps you could ask on the board here for UK cruisers.  You might also ask on the RC board here, but again most will look at it from the US point of view.  EM

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jrey1515 said:

I have recently unfortunately had to cancel my upcoming cruise with RC. I have a £300 non-refundable deposit down with them...

Agree you need to ask your fellow citizens -- our rules and regs are quite different!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/544-uk-cruisers/

ETA: Welcome to Cruise Critic! Sorry it couldn't have been on happier terms!

Edited by crystalspin

If I remember the terms of the non-refundable deposit correctly if you cancel you lose 50 per person and the remainder is kept as a future credit that has to be used within the time limit (one year). I would actually read through the terms and conditions of the non-refundable deposit on Royal's website instead of relying on them to interpret it for you. The language is fairly straightforward for having been written by an attorney.

If You go down the road of a ‘No show’ you would need to pay the final balance..not sure whether you have done that ? 

It has been discussed on here that “no shows” receive their port taxes and fees , as well as any paid excursions and drinks’ packages refunded to passenger to the original form of payment.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:18 AM, Jrey1515 said:

So yes the £50 fee on top of my deposit towards the TA

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If I remember the terms of the non-refundable deposit correctly if you cancel you lose 50 per person and the remainder is kept as a future credit that has to be used within the time limit (one year). I would actually read through the terms and conditions of the non-refundable deposit on Royal's website instead of relying on them to interpret it for you. The language is fairly straightforward for having been written by an attorney.

I hope Sparks has it right. Otherwise, what NBT says in post #2 - "that sounds like insanity".  

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

I hope Sparks has it right. Otherwise, what NBT says in post #2 - "that sounds like insanity".  

I decided to look while waiting for the turkey to digest. Deposits made before 5.31.22 receive a credit for the part of the deposit not forfeited. The forfeited amount on the US website is $100pp. The OP needs to check the details of his booking.

• Thanks 1