Man Overboard on Carnival Valor found alive

BlerkOne

34 minutes ago, toad455 said:

All the speculation on how he fell over is nice and all but the biggest question (still) is how was he able to tread water for so long?

That was a testament to this guy's strength and endurance. But don't think of someone straight up and down in the water using hands and legs to keep the head above water. Think of floating on your back. In my younger days I spent a lot of time in the gulf from swimming off beaches to scuba diving under platforms. I could float on my back for considerable lengths of time if the water was calm with just gentle swells. It is easier to float in salt water than in a pool, but usually the roughness of the gulf water makes it harder to breath. Just a though. I couldn't have done it for as long as this guy even in my prime. Maybe if my life depended on it? 

CNN just re-aired their interview. He said he had to swim through schools of jellyfish and luckily didn't get stung once. Uhh? He also claims to have found sticks of bamboo in the water and ate those? Plus the fact he was almost naked when he fell over but was unconscious when he hit the water? Still too many loopholes in his stories.

Edited by toad455
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, toad455 said:

CNN just re-aired their interview. He said he had to swim through schools of jellyfish and luckily didn't get stung once. Uhh? He also claims to have found sticks of bamboo in the water and ate those? Plus the fact he was almost naked when he fell over but was unconscious when he hit the water? Still too many loopholes in his stories.

I was almost expecting him to say he found a floating volleyball in the water, drew a face on it, and talked to it to keep his sanity...

• Haha 16

5 hours ago, toad455 said:

The report was that he did get stung.

This was great fun reading! I think the most plausible answer is he's a spy and was on a top secret mission with Tom Cruise and the coast guard rescue was a cover up. It was the fact that he kept his socks on to flag down the helicopter that did it for me! LOL

11 hours ago, jimbob22 said:

I was almost expecting him to say he found a floating volleyball in the water, drew a face on it, and talked to it to keep his sanity...

Or "Life of Pi", and all the weird things that happened while he was adrift.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, icft said:

2. he was leaning against the railing with something in his hands that fell overboard from his hands and he lunged to grab it, but lunged a bit too far so his center of gravity as over the rail,

This theory made me think of something ... has his cell phone been found ?

I think it's most likely that the place he did go over was deck three. From the video I've seen of him doing the air guitar contest (which I didn't even know was a thing on Carnival, but I digress), it looked like they were in the Atrium. So that would have been the closest outdoor location. Maybe he stepped out there to vape or to pee if he couldn't find the restroom?? From being on the Valor a month ago, I did find that the restrooms close to the atrium and outside the large theater were harder to find than most. And a fall from Deck 3 would give someone the best chance to survive the fall itself. 

I am curious about possible camera footage Carnival may have. Wonder if they'll ever release it - if it exists? 

Maybe, since he was vaping and drunk (according to reports) he was standing by the rail vaping, the device started to slip out of his hand, he tried to grab it, reached to far lost his balance and fell over the rail?  Drunk and probably not to steady on his feet.

7 minutes ago, Dixe Lee said:

Maybe, since he was vaping and drunk (according to reports) he was standing by the rail vaping, the device started to slip out of his hand, he tried to grab it, reached to far lost his balance and fell over the rail?  Drunk and probably not to steady on his feet.

Using average statistics, anyone less than 5'10" (for a male) has their center of gravity below the top of the handrail, so he would have had to hop up while leaning over to fall over the rail.  That is why the rail heights are set that way.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

I am curious about possible camera footage Carnival may have. Wonder if they'll ever release it - if it exists? 

Unless there is a lawsuit, no one other than Carnival will see it, and even then it will up to each legal team to determine whether to make it public or not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Using average statistics, anyone less than 5'10" (for a male) has their center of gravity below the top of the handrail, so he would have had to hop up while leaning over to fall over the rail.  That is why the rail heights are set that way.

I understand but I can also picture him doing that very thing.  Just depends on how badly he would have wanted to keep ahold of that vaping device.  Of course, all conjecture.

The only thing I wanted to know is what he appears to be not telling anyone. How he fell. My guess is since he is keeping that to himself, that it was something really stupid like climbing somewhere he should not have. Maybe he will get stupid enough to sue and we get more info, but I bet he lets this die down and moves on after milking his 15 minutes of fame. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 1