Wonder of the Seas - Medical Diversion, delay

sharktums

3 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

Actually, that would be even more dangerous as if the wind picked up, even slightly, the ship could get slammed into the pier. 

Port problems and medical emergencies aside, this was a great cruise.  The logistics of trying to take care of 6500 passengers in this situation is nothing short of nightmarish for the crew. I am guessing that when some food items aren't available today, there will be loads of people on here complaining about that as well. RC simply can't win...it is their Kobayashi Maru. 

When you take a cruise, you MUST be flexible with your travel plans. It's that simple. If you expect the unexpected, you will most often be pleasantly surprised. Try reading the cruise contract which we all agreed to. They don't really owe us much of anything, yet still offer. And what does that get? Many still complaining that it isn't enough.  I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen anyone stating that they deserve a 100% future cruise credit. 

Cheers...I'm off to Cafe Promenade to get a bit of coffee before I start my FREE cruis day! 

Just now, Club33 said:

I think it’s okay that people are upset that Royal Carribean isn’t offering anything for canceling an entire day and a port. Yes, it’s a medical emergency and of their control but it seems like the people on board now are getting more of benefits than the people who will be losing an entire day of their vacation. Apparently, they offered you guys 100s of dollar just for missing Coco Cay, but we aren’t even being offered any comps for missing a day or a port. All we are getting is a refund for that day. Royal knew about this for almost 24 hours before letting the next cruise guests know that the cruise was being moved back an entire day…. So yes, some of you are glad you got onboard credit and a free day but a lot of us that are suppose to be boarding to day got the much crappier end of the stick. 

Just now, Mapleleafforever said:

This statement is utter nonsense. 

Exactly why do you say that? 

From my own personal experience, I have been on 35 cruises and three of them have been interrupted by medical emergencies and another by severe fog. That's more than 10% of the time. The cruise contract discussed these very issues. To say that people need to be flexible when cruising is "Utter nonsense" contradicts the history of cruising.

Edited by Wheels87
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wheels87 said:

From my own personal experience, I have been on 35 cruises and three of them have been interrupted by medical emergencies and another by severe fog. That's more than 10% of the time. The cruise contract discussed these very issues. To say that people need to be flexible when cruising is "Utter nonsense" contradicts the history of cruising.

We've also been on 35+ cruises.  We've had one cruise where a medical emergency impacted the ships return (and our boarding) and it was a crew member with appendicitis.  

16 minutes ago, Club33 said:

I think it’s okay that people are upset that Royal Carribean isn’t offering anything for canceling an entire day and a port.

They are offering the passengers on the shortened cruise quite a bit:

Onboard Credits:

Since we’re cutting our cruise short, we’ll provide you with the value of 1 day of your cruise fare as a refundable onboard credit. Plus, you’ll receive a prorated refundable onboard credit for any pre-cruise packages you have purchased, including RoyalUp. If you pre-purchased any Royal Caribbean International shore excursions for Nassau, they will be refunded as a refundable onboard credit. All of these credits will be applied to your Onboard Account and can be used anywhere onboard. Any remaining amounts after your cruise ends will be refunded to your card on file.

• Thanks 1

All the things you listed are just refund for the day we won’t be board. A hotel can’t charge you for a night if they are closed so I don’t see why you consider this them offering something? I mean they are obligated to refund us if we can’t even board the boat.

The current sailing didn’t lose any days. All they lost was a port of call which was comped with around 200 dollars or more and they have a free day board. So tell me how that is equivalent? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

They are offering the passengers on the shortened cruise quite a bit:

Onboard Credits:

Since we’re cutting our cruise short, we’ll provide you with the value of 1 day of your cruise fare as a refundable onboard credit. Plus, you’ll receive a prorated refundable onboard credit for any pre-cruise packages you have purchased, including RoyalUp. If you pre-purchased any Royal Caribbean International shore excursions for Nassau, they will be refunded as a refundable onboard credit. All of these credits will be applied to your Onboard Account and can be used anywhere onboard. Any remaining amounts after your cruise ends will be refunded to your card on file.

31 minutes ago, Club33 said:

I think it’s okay that people are upset that Royal Carribean isn’t offering anything for canceling an entire day and a port. Yes, it’s a medical emergency and of their control but it seems like the people on board now are getting more of benefits than the people who will be losing an entire day of their vacation. Apparently, they offered you guys 100s of dollar just for missing Coco Cay, but we aren’t even being offered any comps for missing a day or a port. All we are getting is a refund for that day. Royal knew about this for almost 24 hours before letting the next cruise guests know that the cruise was being moved back an entire day…. So yes, some of you are glad you got onboard credit and a free day but a lot of us that are suppose to be boarding to day got the much crappier end of the stick. 

Where do you see what they got for missing coco cay? I'd be interested in knowing.

I've missed ports this year for weather and gotten nothing. Please post what they got for missing coco cay. 

36 minutes ago, Wheels87 said:

If cruise lines advertised cruising as being "flexible" with dates than the only people who would book them would be retired people who live near the ports, and who didn't have medical appts anywhere near sail date. 

The correct assumption would be "accidents CAN happen which MAY possibly cause an itinerary change".  

Worst we've had in our years of cruising is a missed port or 2, no big deal. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever
grammar

Just now, Club33 said:

I’ve read it on the Royal carribean Reddit page. Multiple people have commented saying it. 

How much $$$ was offered. ..  

I agree with you about the cost of a extra night of hotel for those who should be boarding tomorrow but also $250 probably wouldnt pay my refaring on a nonrefundable american fare.

I just want to know about coco cay .... if you have no idea .. then why post it ? 

So this situation was caused by a medical emergency of a guest on board. Much different than negligence by Royal. So why is everyone looking for free stuff other than what they paid Royal directly? Does not seem right to me. If I was on board I would gladly pay the 50 percent for my drink package and hang out all day at the pool. 

we board tomorrow instead of today and they are giving me back what I paid. Ecstatic? No. Fair? I think so. 

Edited by Mreimer
  • Like 10

17 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

It’s posted on this thread too.  Someone said $400.  Keep in mind last week was an expensive holiday cruise, I wouldn’t expect that during a normal sailing. 

Wow I agree, that's huge. Thanksgiving isnt that much more expensive. If they got $400, then anything else this cruise I agree is gravy. 

Quick question.  Doesn't travel insurance help with hotel and air for delays to either getting on board or departing?

No travel insurance, you are sailing at your own risk.  Event wasn't Royal's fault, nor the med emergency person's fault.  But these events happen and if you're cruising you need to be aware and flexible.  Missing a port while on a cruise is different than missing an entire day and a port from even beginning a cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are staying in a suite, and our credit for missing CocoCay was $400.  I think timing was at play here as well, since CocoCay was meant to be our first (Day 2) stop, and many of us had a bad experience with embarkation and luggage not arriving until nearly 8pm (an issue on this sailing that I haven't seen mentioned lol). We've ordered room service twice and both times service was over an hour late, with nearly an hour on hold just to reach someone. Relatively minor in the grand scheme, but things have been adding up since Day 1, so I do understand the frustration particularly in light of the cost of this sailing.

I don't mean to be negative as I do totally understand that these things happen, and of course this crew is still adjusting with the ship recently having moved from Europe. However, this was a holiday cruise with many kids on board who will miss school in addition to the adults missing work, scrambling to change flights with bad or nonexistent internet access, etc. Just a combination of bad luck (weather, medical emergencies) and also many avoidable issues imho.

I'm not doing a great job not being negative! LOL! Overall, a great time and great ship; we would like to try her again for a hopefully better experience. I hope the passengers who embark tomorrow have a much better experience!

• Like 7

Just now, Deez123 said:

Because more goes into a vacation.   I probably wouldn’t have laid out over $2k in airfare and parking for a 6 day trip.  

if position was reversed and you couldn’t make the ship due to an airline delay or medical emergency, would RCL refund you?   Nope.  They keep 100%.   Not too much to ask for a little something.   

So why not ask the family that had the medical emergency to refund you? Why is Royal responsible? Are they also responsible if you get a ticket or accident on the way to the port? Seem a to me everyone is looking for an angle to get something for free. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

It’s posted on this thread too.  Someone said $400.  Keep in mind last week was an expensive holiday cruise, I wouldn’t expect that during a normal sailing. 

We have missed RCL's private islands (both Labadee and Coco Cay) several times since the restart, and the most we have ever received back is a few $$ for port fees. The only way someone would have received more than that for missing one of those ports would have been if they had purchased shore excursions or one of the on shore amenities like the Coco Beach club. Had an entire cruise full of pax received that much back, CC would have lit up like a christmas tree.

I understand Medical Emergencies happen. We were supposed to board today as well. I see in the letter that they left in the current passengers room they would receive points for the extra day on the ship. My question is because we are losing a day does that mean we are not going to get our full points for a 7 days cruise? If so that’s not fair to us that are losing a port and a day of cruising at no fault of our own. I also agree that it seems Royal Caribbean is catering more to the ones who are still onboard and giving them more perks than us who are still waiting to board for our vacation in which now we have lost a day and a port.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Because more goes into a vacation.   I probably wouldn’t have laid out over $2k in airfare and parking for a 6 day trip.  

if position was reversed and you couldn’t make the ship due to an airline delay or medical emergency, would RCL refund you?   Nope.  They keep 100%.   Not too much to ask for a little something to recognize this caused a lot of expense and hassle for the 12k people without the medical emergency.   

This is when insurance would come in handy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Quick question.  Doesn't travel insurance help with hotel and air for delays to either getting on board or departing?

No travel insurance, you are sailing at your own risk.  Event wasn't Royal's fault, nor the med emergency person's fault.  But these events happen and if you're cruising you need to be aware and flexible.  Missing a port while on a cruise is different than missing an entire day and a port from even beginning a cruise.

it depends on your specific insurance policy. every policy is different

3 minutes ago, Texxie said:

We are staying in a suite, and our credit for missing CocoCay was $400.  I think timing was at play here as well, since CocoCay was meant to be our first (Day 2) stop, and many of us had a bad experience with embarkation and luggage not arriving until nearly 8pm (an issue on this sailing that I haven't seen mentioned lol). We've ordered room service twice and both times service was over an hour late, with nearly an hour on hold just to reach someone. Relatively minor in the grand scheme, but things have been adding up since Day 1, so I do understand the frustration particularly in light of the cost of this sailing.

My take on this is that the OBC you received was due more to the other issues you listed than because your cruise missed Coco Cay. We have received onboard OBC at a similar level (when staying in a suite) because of onboard issues similar to those you experienced - without ever missing a scheduled port of call.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alabamacruiser1969 said:

I understand Medical Emergencies happen. We were supposed to board today as well. I see in the letter that they left in the current passengers room they would receive points for the extra day on the ship. My question is because we are losing a day does that mean we are not going to get our full points for a 7 days cruise? If so that’s not fair to us that are losing a port and a day of cruising at no fault of our own. I also agree that it seems Royal Caribbean is catering more to the ones who are still onboard and giving them more perks than us who are still waiting to board for our vacation in which now we have lost a day and a port.

You won't know exactly what you are getting until you board the ship.  The cruise line has told you that you can cancel for a FCC or you can sail and they will give OBC for the day you are missing and all the other expenses you have incurred associated to that day.  I would expect a letter at boarding or in your cabin with other details.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Your probably in an interior room for $500.  What do you care?   Are you even impacted or just here to be a Karen. 

We board and have many Ocean Balcony cabins this week. That is not a factor at all. Inside, outside, suite, stop looking for free stuff. Spend your energy enjoying your vacation. 

Edited by Mreimer
  • Like 3