Drinks at $18.00

Shaver John

9 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

Thrak, thank you for this reply.  I so seldom drink, but now I can try a bunch of drinks I have never even heard of and see if I like any of them.  At least I can try them and if I don't enjoy they can just go away.

Okay, but why not book the Plus package and just pay any differential if some drinks exceed $12?

It would be beneficial to review the package info and understand the offering before making a decision.  Yes, the Premier has some extras, but only have value if you want photos and think you will win prizes.  The SD credits may make a difference, depending on your situation.

As I understand from other posters, most bar drinks are covered by Plus and Premier just gives access to more wine choices without an upcharge.  Of course, there are going to be wines > $18/glass.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, Shaver John said:

We just signed up for the Discovery and we got the package with the $18.00 drinks.  Anyone know what you get at that price range?.

Ripped off. The cost of alcohol for the cruise line (who is registered in foreign countries) is pennies. If they offered these packages at a fair price they might sell a lot more to people who drink less but wish glass of wine or specialty coffee once in a while. 

I find it much more reasonable to buy a drink here and there VS the packages.

Edited by cruzsnooze

9 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Ripped off. The cost of alcohol for the cruise line (who is registered in foreign countries) is pennies. If they offered these packages at a fair price they might sell a lot more to people who drink less but wish glass of wine or specialty coffee once in a while. 

It depends on how much you are drinking.  If you will have 4 drinks a day or more, the package is worth the cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay, but why not book the Plus package and just pay any differential if some drinks exceed $12?

It would be beneficial to review the package info and understand the offering before making a decision.  Yes, the Premier has some extras, but only have value if you want photos and think you will win prizes.  The SD credits may make a difference, depending on your situation.

As I understand from other posters, most bar drinks are covered by Plus and Premier just gives access to more wine choices without an upcharge.  Of course, there are going to be wines > $18/glass.

Exactly what we did on the Sky a week ago. We had paid for the Premier package on the Enchanted in September and were royally ripped off as they had few of the expensive wines in stock. On the Sky last week, where they had almost ALL the wines in stock,  we had "downgraded" to the Plus package but still bought only the expensive wines by the glass, in the $16-$22/glass range and paid the delta.  Even at 3-5 glasses/day we saved tons by only paying the delta,  over the cost of the Premier package, even after factoring in the two free Specialty Restaurant meals., Also, FWIW, I'd say the majority of the wines in the Specialty Restaurants tended to be at or below $16, with relatively few beyond that.  Interestingly, the MDR wine list was MASSIVE compared to the wine lists in the three SDs.

As an aside, I've seen a few comments from folks here on CC who actually seem to believe that they MUST buy the Premier package to "have access" to the better wines. Absolutely not the case, the Premier package, at far greater cost, merely gives a higher deductible ($18 vs $12), but all wines are available to anyone with a cruise card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The Plus pkg also includes crew appreciation & Wi-Fi in addition to the drinks, specialty coffees & waters.
For me, it was beyond worth it. The extra in cruise fare for 7 days was $350, minus $101.50 for gratuities, which I pay anyway, $69.93 for Wi-Fi, that left my drink pkg costing a little over $25 per day. That’s a no brainer for me! 

Everyone needs to decide if it’s worth it for them or not.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

😕  looks like someone would benefit from a pedicure and foot massage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Really.

FYI if Princess sources their wine in Florida they pay the same price as every retailer except for taxes.  Those taxes are 70 CENTS on a 750ml bottle.  Insignificant.   Duty free on wine is not worth considering.  Brought back a case of really nice wine from Australia and all CBP wanted was they duty.  The minimum fee was $35.  I paid that.  They actual tax on a case of wine was $3!

Take a look at restaurants and their prices for a glass of wine will be similar.

You certainly have the right to choose.  Drink less than say 5 drinks a day and don't buy the package.  More and the package is a good deal.

• Like 3