bringing wine on board 2 or 4 bottles?

George C

I had read a few people post that celebrity allowed 2 bottles of wine per person so a total of 4 for a couple. Today on the Beyond we were told the rule was still only 2 bottles per cabin, one each. Since we are in a suite they did after a while allow us to keep the 4 bottles. So if its in the celebrity documentions anywhere I would take a copy with you. 

• Thanks 1

It clearly states 2 bottles per person in the cruise contract. We were stopped with our 4 bottles on our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. They called over a supervisor. I showed my cruise docs from my phone, they apologized and let us through.

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken, the screeners work for Port Everglades, not Celebrity. (Actually, they're probably contracted.) Tomorrow they could be screening for a different cruise line with different rules. I'm not surprised they apply the wrong rules to Celebrity cruisers under those circumstances.

7 minutes ago, markeb said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the screeners work for Port Everglades, not Celebrity. (Actually, they're probably contracted.) Tomorrow they could be screening for a different cruise line with different rules. I'm not surprised they apply the wrong rules to Celebrity cruisers under those circumstances.

I agree, I think this is what causes the confusion.

16 hours ago, markeb said:

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean share the same terminals.  Royal Caribbean's policy is still two bottles per stateroom.  As you said, I agree this difference in policies is what leads to the confusion. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, George C said:

I had read a few people post that celebrity allowed 2 bottles of wine per person so a total of 4 for a couple. Today on the Beyond we were told the rule was still only 2 bottles per cabin, one each. Since we are in a suite they did after a while allow us to keep the 4 bottles. So if its in the celebrity documentions anywhere I would take a copy with you. 

Who told you?

I've accidently successfully carried 3 bottles on.  The X-Ray techs are looking at the screens for banned items, not counting bottles or paying attention who has which bag

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Who told you?

I've accidently successfully carried 3 bottles on.  The X-Ray techs are looking at the screens for banned items, not counting bottles or paying attention who has which bag

the person checking us in the retreat area who went to her supervisor who again gave me that info. Just want to give everyone a warning . 

56 minutes ago, George C said:

the person checking us in the retreat area who went to her supervisor who again gave me that info. Just want to give everyone a warning . 

That retreat person doesn’t X-ray your carryons, correct?  In my experience with the non-retreat check in is that X-ray folks don’t care

Definitely believe you! Just trying to remember the flow at check in. You go into the Retreat reception, have a seat, check in, then put your bags through the screener before going to the ship. At least that's more or less what I remember. Or do they screen your bags on your way into the reception area?

Either way, odds are the person screening the bags was screening some other cruise line yesterday. And I don't think they work for Celebrity, so it would have to be a Celebrity (RCG; pretty sure they just change polos between ships...) to say it's OK. Although I'd hope the screening folks would be briefed that 2 per person is OK for this ship!

@George C Thank you for asking this question as I will be wondering about this when we hopefully return to Celebrity in 2023. 

Another question... Is it a strict 2 bottles per person as in the standard 2 x 750ml total per person? For example, would 3 x 250ml bottles count as 1 x 750ml bottle? Or would 1 x 250ml bottle = 1 of the 4 total bottles allowed?

I ask because a local winery in our region produces these cute little 250ml aluminum bottles of wine that travel well. 

They're not the most fancy of varietals but they're great for keeping in the mini fridge and because they're metal they won't break in transit. We do plan on having the Premium Beverage Package so these would be to keep in our stateroom to enjoy while getting ready for dinner. We know we can purchase wine during our pre-cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale too so no worries either way! Just curious and don't want to cause an unnecessary kerfuffle when boarding! LOL!

Cheers!🍷

2 hours ago, George C said:

it was in the retreat area , so wrong, i really don't care if you believe me or not , just want to caution the others.

Not sure if this was for me or not, either way I believe you and appreciate the heads up.  We're simply trying to get the specifics as many of us are peasants not going through the retreat area.  You should definitely report this to X.  Please, please, please correct me if I'm wrong...When checking into the Retreat area, you hand your carryons to the retreat host, they take the bags to the xray machine and either scan the carryons themselves or have the xray staff xray them, they found wine and told you it was too many bottles?

3 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

@George C Thank you for asking this question as I will be wondering about this when we hopefully return to Celebrity in 2023. 

Another question... Is it a strict 2 bottles per person as in the standard 2 x 750ml total per person? For example, would 3 x 250ml bottles count as 1 x 750ml bottle? Or would 1 x 250ml bottle = 1 of the 4 total bottles allowed?

I ask because a local winery in our region produces these cute little 250ml aluminum bottles of wine that travel well. 

They're not the most fancy of varietals but they're great for keeping in the mini fridge and because they're metal they won't break in transit. We do plan on having the Premium Beverage Package so these would be to keep in our stateroom to enjoy while getting ready for dinner. We know we can purchase wine during our pre-cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale too so no worries either way! Just curious and don't want to cause an unnecessary kerfuffle when boarding! LOL!

Cheers!🍷

I have a similar question. Can the bottles be 1.5 liters? I don't see anywhere that they must be 750 ml bottes.

I have a drink package. I like to keep some wine in the cabin as a nightcap and I'll be on a cruise for 10 nights shortly. It's just easier to have some wine in the cabin later in the evening than running off to a bar to grab a refill.

4 minutes ago, 1st time aboard said:

I have a similar question. Can the bottles be 1.5 liters? I don't see anywhere that they must be 750 ml bottes.

I have a drink package. I like to keep some wine in the cabin as a nightcap and I'll be on a cruise for 10 nights shortly. It's just easier to have some wine in the cabin later in the evening than running off to a bar to grab a refill.

You might find it difficult to store a large bottle of 1.5l in the cooler in your cabin. They’re not very deep and even a 750ml or two can be a challenge. Unless you’re drinking red of course and don’t need it to be chilled 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Please, please, please correct me if I'm wrong...When checking into the Retreat area, you hand your carryons to the retreat host, they take the bags to the xray machine and either scan the carryons themselves or have the xray staff xray them, they found wine and told you it was too many bottles?

We cruise in Sky Suites to Royal Suites and no the retreat host/butler doesn’t meet you and take your carry on luggage through the scanners.  Maybe for those in PH or above. But most of us in Suites take our own carry ons  through the scanners and on to our suite.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

The wording is clear, it is bottles not volume that is the limit.

I would happily argue if they tried to deny 2 bottles per person, I would not try to defend multiple smaller bottles as that is not what the rules state.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Not sure if this was for me or not, either way I believe you and appreciate the heads up.  We're simply trying to get the specifics as many of us are peasants not going through the retreat area.  You should definitely report this to X.  Please, please, please correct me if I'm wrong...When checking into the Retreat area, you hand your carryons to the retreat host, they take the bags to the xray machine and either scan the carryons themselves or have the xray staff xray them, they found wine and told you it was too many bottles?

In Fort Lauderdale you go through security first and then go to the retreat. Same in Boston, security first then with the retreat area.

Perhaps anyone wanting to bring 4 bottles (2 per person) on board should bring the following with them which I just copied and pasted from the Before You Board FAQ's on the Celebrity website:

Guests are only permitted to bring alcohol onboard under the following circumstances

1.) Embarkation day when each guest is permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with the Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package. Security may inspect containers (including water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, canteens, etc.) at any time and will dispose of alcohol concealed in such container.

We will be bringing 4 bottles when we board Apex next April

But here is the problem. In a different place in the FAQ it says two bottles per state room. 750 ml bottles.  Now clearly something has not been updated and the two statements are not congruent. No wonder the poor screeners are confused

58FD2B23-359A-4F4B-9430-C95A08F923E1.jpeg

AEB6952C-D1BC-47E2-BEF1-747828DD4178.jpeg

Edited by cruisestitch

12 hours ago, markeb said:

Definitely believe you! Just trying to remember the flow at check in. You go into the Retreat reception, have a seat, check in, then put your bags through the screener before going to the ship. At least that's more or less what I remember. Or do they screen your bags on your way into the reception area?

Either way, odds are the person screening the bags was screening some other cruise line yesterday. And I don't think they work for Celebrity, so it would have to be a Celebrity (RCG; pretty sure they just change polos between ships...) to say it's OK. Although I'd hope the screening folks would be briefed that 2 per person is OK for this ship!

In Miami you go through the screening process first, then go to the check.in areas.