I am shocked at the prices for cruises in 2023!

oldmom

2 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

A bunch of my flights for next year's cruising season are over $600 r/t pp.  Even booking 330 days out!

I just booked a cruise for July 2024 -- I'm fearful for what those prices are going to be.  Probably more than the cruise itself!

I just ran into this myself. I have a cruise coming up end of March... the flights for the 3 going are more than the cost of the cruise! We're not talking out of the way airports either... Cleveland to Miami or Ft Lauderdale

11 minutes ago, Johnny_71 said:

I just ran into this myself. I have a cruise coming up end of March... the flights for the 3 going are more than the cost of the cruise! We're not talking out of the way airports either... Cleveland to Miami or Ft Lauderdale

I'm flying mod march, spring break height I think. I booked the day the round trip came out on american over $500. Same ticket now would be over $900. .. glad I'm not a family of 3. 

Mine is dallas to miami, not even clear cross the country.  

I'll just pay whatever it cost out of Galveston except next march is booked. They keep forecasting how flight costs will come down . .not that I've seen. Sales are maybe fly dallas to houston  .  Not flying to florida. The cost of everything is just going up. I dont see prices coming down .. not when the cost of labor keeps going up. 

22 minutes ago, Johnny_71 said:

Check Orlando as well.   Also Check Buffalo to FLL.  You can go direct too.

23 minutes ago, Johnny_71 said:

I run reports like this a few times a month just to see pricing on my preferred airline, after 5pm, nonstop, to popular cruise destinations, one-way and that helps me try to figure out when it makes sense to cruise.

The airlines already know the hot weeks a year in advance, so it helps me plan better.

$173 per person each way is decent.  $399 is ridiculous ($1600 round trip for 2!)

cruise friday prices.png

Edited by dada2199cc

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

If folks start missing final payment and ships are sailing under capacity there will be adjustment to prices and shops will sail full again. 

supply and demand is a wonderful thing. 

If folks stop making final payment, the cruise line pockets their down payments and tries to resell them. All the ships aren’t sailing full now, I saw a recent post from someone doing the Mexican Rivera, on Celebrity Solstice, the sister line of RCL. They said there were 1250 passengers and I believe it holds 2800+.

In my cruise research I read that Royal was tired of people waiting for Last Minute Bargains.  They want people to book early.    So their plan was to stop offering the last minute bargains and just sailing with empty rooms if they have to.  Whether they hold to that is a question.  

6 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

So their plan was to stop offering the last minute bargains and just sailing with empty rooms if they have to.  Whether they hold to that is a question.  

They are already well past 100% occupancy in the Carribean and will be fleet wide by the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

If folks stop making final payment, the cruise line pockets their down payments and tries to resell them. All the ships aren’t sailing full now, I saw a recent post from someone doing the Mexican Rivera, on Celebrity Solstice, the sister line of RCL. They said there were 1250 passengers and I believe it holds 2800+.

Its colder sailing out of calif right now? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

A bunch of my flights for next year's cruising season are over $600 r/t pp.  Even booking 330 days out!

I just booked a cruise for July 2024 -- I'm fearful for what those prices are going to be.  Probably more than the cruise itself!

I’m a pilot for a major airline. I can tell you that sometimes the best price / deal on airfare happen at the ticket counter in the airport. When I buy revenue tickets for the family over holiday, 90% of the time it’s at the ticket counter.

43 minutes ago, gizbug said:

I’m a pilot for a major airline. I can tell you that sometimes the best price / deal on airfare happen at the ticket counter in the airport. When I buy revenue tickets for the family over holiday, 90% of the time it’s at the ticket counter.

I worked for major airlines at ticket desks in Heathrow and other airports for over 40 years, and the cheapest seats are available as far out as you can book them. There are over a dozen booking (fare) classes in economy and several in business and first and the cheapest go first. This means that if its a busy flight, on the day, you're talking about only the most expensive fares available. Last minute standby fares are a fallacy, at least in the UK 

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, gizbug said:

If prices keep going up, I'm flying in the wheel well (I'll just have to cover the cost of a parka and oxygen tank).

8 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

Are we talking about the US? It’s terrible idea to book domestic flights in the US that far out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wreckem2013 said:

Are we talking about the US? It’s terrible idea to book domestic flights in the US that far out.

I think it depends on when. Special times I've read it's better to book early. I think he was the one late march, end of spring for college kids. High season in florida.

So far my ticket has only gone up for spring break. 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Its colder sailing out of calif right now? 

Before we expanded our departure ports out of California many years ago, we did the Mexican Riviera cruise nine times out of San Diego. The seas were a little rockier until you got around Cabo, then it settled down. The weather was always sunny and quite warm. We usually went between mid October and mid February.

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm flying mod march, spring break height I think. I booked the day the round trip came out on american over $500. Same ticket now would be over $900. .. glad I'm not a family of 3. 

Mine is dallas to miami, not even clear cross the country.  

I'll just pay whatever it cost out of Galveston except next march is booked. They keep forecasting how flight costs will come down . .not that I've seen. Sales are maybe fly dallas to houston  .  Not flying to florida. The cost of everything is just going up. I dont see prices coming down .. not when the cost of labor keeps going up. 

Agree. Average 18 Flights a yr and even the 2023 Budget Airline prices and extras are jumping 75-100% Higher then I paid last 10yrs including the Flight I just got off 2hrs ago. Was another Full Plane...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Before we expanded our departure ports out of California many years ago, we did the Mexican Riviera cruise nine times out of San Diego. The seas were a little rockier until you got around Cabo, then it settled down. The weather was always sunny and quite warm. We usually went between mid October and mid February.

April out of San Pedro was freezing this past year. I have never seen so many people wearing Ensenada hoodies and sweatshirts before. ☺️ And Northern CA is very, very cold right now. They are even predicting a little snow on the peaks. I don't know how SoCal is doing. You are correct, September was very warm. It was nice! 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

If prices keep going up, I'm flying in the wheel well (I'll just have to cover the cost of a parka and oxygen tank).

Sir, I think you are a stowaway thrill seeker. First mention was the ship liquor locker and to get to the ship you are weighing a wheel-well opportunity on an aircraft. You better scrub your browser and computer from your searches since you obviously know that it is cold and without sufficient oxygen on your trip. 🙂 Might I suggest that you practice meditation so you can slow down your metabolism and thus can use a smaller tank of oxygen. 🤔.

"Of all the lousy ways to save a buck!" National Lampoon Christmas Vacation  

I just happened to look at the Royal Caribbean blog site- November 30th blog is about cruising older ships to save money. It was ironic because I had just booked an interior room an the Allure- 5 days out of Port Canaveral. We rarely do interiors but it was almost 800 more for a balcony. May do RoyalUp-if it is offered. Thanks everyone.

Checked current price on the cruise I was taking in 2020.  It's up $225 per person.  GS Oasis 4 nighter.

But oh my holy heck--RT flight $900 PP.  

W/flight $675 per night not including RCL taxes, insurance, tips and other add ons.

Edited by parrotfeathers

1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Checked current price on the cruise I was taking in 2020.  It's up $225 per person.  GS Oasis 4 nighter.

But oh my holy heck--RT flight $900 PP.  

W/flight $675 per night not including RCL taxes, insurance, tips and other add ons.

Yes, I had some sticker shock around flights too! Even Frontier... Houston was only $100 more than Florida ($400-500 vs $500-600) for my kids' spring break so we decided to do Allure again. The only reason we didn't mind purchasing at that price is because we're getting some refund money from a flight issue in Europe last summer where airlines are required to compensate you...

On 11/28/2022 at 4:45 PM, Merion_Mom said:

^^^This.

@oldmom- you didn't give any $$ quotes, like what you think is a "good price", so I can't know what you consider a "shocking price."

I do not call shocking anything these days (cruise lines suffer as anyone else due form … I will stop here what’s a reason of it).  Just an example,  in March we booked a Celebrity aqua cabin on 10-day Caribbean cruise on Beyond for April 2024, then price was raised increased by $400 pp, and now (since 4 months ago) price for the same cabin category on the same date is $1,250 more per person.

On 11/28/2022 at 4:45 PM, Merion_Mom said:

^^^This.

@oldmom- you didn't give any $$ quotes, like what you think is a "good price", so I can't know what you consider a "shocking price."

We like to go out of Port Canaveral- only 4-5 hour drive. We can drive to Miami/Fort Lauderdale- but takes longer ,of course. I could get a 7 day cruise for 2 off season for $ 1200-1600. Now it is $2100-2800. Cheapest on Allure for 5 nights interior Mid Oct is almost $1700.

Guest 4-2-N-8
2 hours ago, oldmom said:

We like to go out of Port Canaveral- only 4-5 hour drive. We can drive to Miami/Fort Lauderdale- but takes longer ,of course. I could get a 7 day cruise for 2 off season for $ 1200-1600. Now it is $2100-2800. Cheapest on Allure for 5 nights interior Mid Oct is almost $1700.

What type of room do you get for that price?

I've got the RLS plus both SLS rooms on a 7-night Harmony of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise for 10 family members of mine that I am taking on this trip.

I wouldn't say the price shocks me, but it is not inexpensive. 

Edited by 4-2-N-8

On 11/28/2022 at 3:45 PM, oldmom said:

Guess I have not been paying attention to this. We normally cruise once a year or every other year or so on RCCL. We are Diamond- finally in 2019. I have been able to get a balcony room for 7 nights on a Oasis ship at a "great price" , for years now. We go off season-early December -early May, etc. We got a great price in May 2022 ( also tested positive for COVID 2 days after) on Harmony. We have been busy with a family member passing away and having to pack up their house and all the stuff that goes along with that. SO-finally started looking for cruises for 2023.WOW! The "great price" is at least $1000-$1500 more than I have ever paid for the cheapest sailing week!! I knew inflation was bad-but I did not expect this much an increase from 2022. These are for 7 day cruises on an Oasis ships. I know the other ships are cheaper-but ? Wondering if this price will continue? We have done interiors to save money before-but these are pricey also now. Just sort of bummed.

september out of new york is dirt cheap.  consider other options, maybe?