How big a deal is it to grab a free drink for a friend who doesn't have the drinks package?

pookel

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Is this serious?

If you were in a store, and purchased, say, 2 sixpacks of beer (or *any* quantity!), would you feel entitled to "grab" an extra beer "for your friend"?

Are you seriously asking how serious an offense it would be (!?) or "if anyone would care"?  And yeah, just do it for "an occasional soda or maybe beer/wine" at that store - or any other...!?

GC

By that analogy , you would share your beers....  and isn't that the question?

Wow rough crowd tonight. S.A.L.T.Y.  

Good Answers to be used,
1)Not a good Idea.
2)Could lose your FAS Package.

3)Your friends would expect it.
4)Might feel guilty,

Everything else was just a bunch of holier than thou answers.   Must be  a perfect crowd in here.  Esp that last one with the sorry not sorry apology...  

Years ago this forum became judgemental and pretty salty, apparently it has returned, how sad.  

Edited by juju2454
spelling correction
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, juju2454 said:

Good Answers to be used,
1)Not a good Idea.

4)Might feel guilty,

Everything else was just a bunch of holier than thou answers.   Must be  a perfect crowd in here.  Esp that last one with the sorry not sorry apology...  

Years ago this forum became judgemental and pretty salty, apparently it has returned, how sad.  

Like someone pointed out earlier, this is why both parties in a cabin have to have the same drink packages on many lines. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, juju2454 said:

By that analogy , you would share your beers....  and isn't that the question?

🤔 No, that is not how that analogy reads. 

@pookelThe package says for personal consumption, so someone can only share the the drinks they have consumed and that'd be pretty 🤢 gross. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, juju2454 said:

Good Answers to be used,
1)Not a good Idea.

4)Might feel guilty,

Some responses are more gentle than others, but the message is basically the same:

Be a good human. 

Businesses have to budget and account for loss prevention. The rules are there to maintain prices at a reasonable level while delivering a great service. When the rules aren’t followed or people take advantage, the losses translate to increased rates for EVERYONE and service will decline. 
Be fair, be good. It’s better for everyone. 

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Some responses are more gentle than others, but the message is basically the same:

Be a good human. 

Businesses have to budget and account for loss prevention. The rules are there to maintain prices at a reasonable level while delivering a great service. When the rules aren’t followed or people take advantage, the losses translate to increased rates for EVERYONE and service will decline. 
Be fair, be good. It’s better for everyone. 

I agree with your response, but I'd just like to add that the idea that someone asks a question about skirting the system and receives snarky responses shouldn't come as a surprise. 

@juju2454Far from "holier than thou", but I don't support the brush-off of what is quite frankly a form of stealing whether people want to aknowledge that or not. 

C'mon, who even asks this question? In my opinion, they can do whatever the heck they want, but asking essentially "can I break the drinking package rule while nearly all the rest of you who participate in this cruise group don't?" is ridiculous. 

Edited by cruiseinfoseeker
I'm blaming spell check
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, destar said:

You are taking a chance of having your drink package cancelled. The way that cameras operate I wouldn't be surprise if they followed you every time you get more than one drink. If your friends refuse to get the drink package when booking, because they don't drink that much, let them purchase their own drinks.

Oh how I wish those cameras would operate that way with the chair hogs....😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

The whole beer angle is a very bad analogy since the purchase conditions of the two scenarios is totally different.

A better analogy:

Person A and Person B walk into an all-you-can-eat buffet. Person A pays their $15.99 for the buffet, while Person B pays nothing as they are "not hungry". Then Person A goes up to the buffet, fills two plates full of food and they eat one plate while Person B eats the other. Think the restaurant would be OK with that?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, juju2454 said:

Why? it is a question, what is the harm in a question?  At least they asked.  Could have just gone and did it. 

The "harm" is that they fully intend to do this and they are looking for hints and tips.  As such, they are asking us all to be complicit in their criminal behavior.  

• Like 7

I get the whole not share thing, but the "you're stealing, you're cheating,  that is just not necessary.  Tht is the holier than thou, evause we all know that people do things they shouldn't on cruises, in stores etc. Human nature.   

The OP literally asked "How big a deal is it to grab a free drink for a friend".  If answering "stealing" or "cheating" is holier than thou, how exactly should we have answered?  They have already acknowledged it's a big deal, they want to know how much of a big deal.  They asked a subjective, open question.  All of the answers were appropriate.

All they asked was a basic yes or no question, 

Before lashing out at the community, you should read the question carefully.  Including the title, they asked four questions:

1. How big a deal
  2. Is anyone going to notice
  3. how serious an offence
  4. anyone really care

Two of the four could be considered yes/no.  The other two are full on subjective, open ended questions.  

With regards to this idea that OP asked a yes/no question so the only proper answer is yes/no - this isn't an objective test we're taking here, it's an internet forum.  It's OK to elaborate on yes/no questions. 

What is ridiculous is telling people they are thiefs, or stealing when all they did was ask.  

But it is stealing and they would be thieves.  Would you prefer that we lie to them?

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Why would the unfinished wine be trash? You can always have them store it for you for another meal, or you can take it with you to your room...not need to trash it.

And if you have the drink package, and you are truly worried about trash, why not just order by the glass? You don't need to try to save $$ ordering by the bottle.

There's no incentive to save it because you'll get another bottle with dinner tomorrow.  Though some people do recork them and bring partial bottles back to their room.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Other question....FAS+ say you get one bottle per dinner....per person or per cabin?

Means, +1 order Moet and myself a bottle of red.....

Common misconception.  It does NOT say a bottle of wine with dinner.  You may have multiple and I've done it.  I very rarely bother because I'd sooner have my dinner wine by the glass; I'm not going to have more than a glass and my friends have their own (basic) drink package, so they can can get their own wine.

8 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

If the question has been “is it ok to have people taste your drink,” I think salty snark would be a bit much. But when you are asking to Robin Hood NCL to give to poor friends, the response is going to be strong. 

Oh sure.  I've had a couple occasions where a bartender made me a surprise that I didn't care for.  I gave it to a friend who didn't have the package.  That's different because it's going down the drain otherwise.

• Like 1

Personally, I would not risk this. 

In January 2020, I was with a group of 29 friends sailing the Diamond Princess from Singapore to Tokyo for 14 nights (the sailing before the sailing that got stuck in quarantine). We had all booked on a special with a drinks package included, with the exception of just a few of us.  My friend J had been occasionally getting drinks for friend M who did not have the package. On night 3 several of us were in the disco, dancing and hanging out together. J had just returned to the area we were all sitting in and slid a drink over to M. Shortly after that, a supervisor came over and asked J and M if they could step away from the group. He took them to the side of the club and we could see them all talking. Looked like lots of apologies from J and M. They then all 3 walked over to the bar area and M completed a transaction. Then J and M came back to the group to say that they had gotten in trouble for violating the drink package rules, and M was made to pay for 6 drinks (2 drinks a day for the past 3 days) and both were given a warning. They felt embarrassed, and felt fortunate that the penalty wasn't higher. They did not violate the package again.

The next afternoon, my friend V, who did not have the package (and was not at the club the night before with us) asked if I would get her a glass of bubbly from the bar. I declined and relayed the story from the night before. V then just purchased herself a glass of bubbly, and we had an enjoyable time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

12 hours ago, macewank said:

The cruise line isn't going to care what you do with the free bottle of wine FAS+ allows you to have.  It's 1 bottle of wine regardless of how many people drink it.

Regarding the drinks, I certainly wouldn't care, but I imagine the cruise staff would if they caught you doing it blatantly.  Regardless of whatever theoretical limit you're talking about here, allowing that sort of behavior results in the cruise line giving you twice as many drinks as they otherwise would have.  They're in this to make money, not lose it. 

Welcome to CC.

• Like 1

How sad that we’ve come to this…

Is it OK to break the rules?
What if I break the rules of a big corporation - that’s OK, right?
I’m not going to break the rules very often!
My parents never taught me right from wrong, so it’s OK if I do this, even if you don’t.

Stealing isn’t stealing if you don’t get caught, correct?

Life is a zero sum game - for me to win, you have to lose.

No, there is not a sliding scale of right and wrong that you can manipulate to save a few bucks for yourself. 🙄🙄

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

Personally, I would not risk this. 

In January 2020, I was with a group of 29 friends sailing the Diamond Princess from Singapore to Tokyo for 14 nights (the sailing before the sailing that got stuck in quarantine). We had all booked on a special with a drinks package included, with the exception of just a few of us.  My friend J had been occasionally getting drinks for friend M who did not have the package. On night 3 several of us were in the disco, dancing and hanging out together. J had just returned to the area we were all sitting in and slid a drink over to M. Shortly after that, a supervisor came over and asked J and M if they could step away from the group. He took them to the side of the club and we could see them all talking. Looked like lots of apologies from J and M. They then all 3 walked over to the bar area and M completed a transaction. Then J and M came back to the group to say that they had gotten in trouble for violating the drink package rules, and M was made to pay for 6 drinks (2 drinks a day for the past 3 days) and both were given a warning. They felt embarrassed, and felt fortunate that the penalty wasn't higher. They did not violate the package again.

The next afternoon, my friend V, who did not have the package (and was not at the club the night before with us) asked if I would get her a glass of bubbly from the bar. I declined and relayed the story from the night before. V then just purchased herself a glass of bubbly, and we had an enjoyable time. 

Thank you for sharing this.

It shouldn't be necessary for a real-life example to be described, but apparently... it is.

GC

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, SeaShark said:

The whole beer angle is a very bad analogy since the purchase conditions of the two scenarios is totally different.

A better analogy:

Person A and Person B walk into an all-you-can-eat buffet. Person A pays their $15.99 for the buffet, while Person B pays nothing as they are "not hungry". Then Person A goes up to the buffet, fills two plates full of food and they eat one plate while Person B eats the other. Think the restaurant would be OK with that?

Wow...this brings back memories.   When I was in my 20s I used to go to The Sizzler with my mother.  If you got an entree....you got the salad bar for free.  And the salad bar was fantastic...it wasn't just salad.  Without the entree...you had to pay for the salad bar.  My mother used to insist that she order the entree and I should take "her salad bar" (I only wanted the salad bar).  I did it once....really instead of fighting with mom.  After that, I refused to go there unless I ordered and paid for my saBulad bar.

But, yes, this is a perfect analogy.  One drink, maybe.  But planning this in advance...no!

"My people" call this "schnorring".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2