Chic vs. Casual

ggo85

19 hours ago, ggo85 said:

We haven’t cruised X for 5 years. While we can read the definitions for the dress code, in practice, what is the difference? I’m more interested in men’s wear as it’s easy for a woman to wear a dressier top.  For example, do most men wear jackets?   But I’ll take any advice.  This is for Caribbean and Central America, if that makes a difference.  

I've been on two cruises this year, and the men very rarely wore jackets for either chic or casual nights(I remember seeing only one or two jackets on chic nights) in the evenings. It was usually jeans, or khaki pants, polo shirts or casual button down shirts, and all manner of footwear on casual nights, and jeans(usually darker wash) or trousers, dress shirts of all kinds/colors, and dress shoes or sandals on chic nights.

I'd argue there's no real difference between the two in reality. If DH regularly wears a jacket because he enjoys it, he'll be fine, and he'll see others wearing jackets. If he doesn't normally wear a jacket and feels he has to, he won't see anyone else wearing one. Has nothing to do with how many men are actually wearing jackets. It's a basic concept of confirmation bias and goes a long ways to explaining why people on this board on the same ship at the same time remember totally different dress patterns. You observe and give more weight to information that confirms your expectations. Part of being human.

Tell DH to do him and be comfortable. 

19 hours ago, ggo85 said:

Thanks. I read the guidelines and they seemed mostly the same. Hence my question.  If my DH wears a jacket on chic night, will he look out of place?

He will not look out of place.

I used to pack a tux with several changes of ties and cummerbunds for all of our cruises. Not any more. Now I just pack a single sports jacket and wear it on chic nights.

Agree @FourNinesCasual nights my husband will wear a short sleeve button down or long sleeve button down with his pants, on dressier nights he adds a sport coat. Last year one night after dinner (with a sport coat) a crew member passed us in the hallway and said to my husband "looing good there my man" so I do think the crew appreciates alittle effort these days of jeans and shorts for dinner and after dinner. Pretty funny considering the memories of tuxes and full suits and ties. It has changed the ambiance over the decades, but it does make the travel easier no question about it. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:25 PM, SusieAV8R said:

Wear what you feel good in.  DH will wear a tux on Chic nights because I want to wear a long gown (and it's fun for me to see the ladies who approach him with comments like "wish my spouse would dress like you"...yup as recent as this past August cruise.  What fun!)

That's us as well.  DW likes to dress up for Chic nights and expects me to do the same.  I get the same comments as well.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone here care to be able to help on identifying when Evening Chic is on a 7 night Eastern Carib aboard the Reflection?

Day 1 - FLL Embark
Day 2 - Nassau, Bahamas (early 230pm departure)
Day 3 - At Sea
Day 4 - Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Day 5 - Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Day 6 - At Sea
Day 7 - At Sea
Day 8 - Disembark

I know for sure it will be Day 6, but not sure  if it will be Day 2 along with "Welcome aboard" or Day 3 since its a Sea Day.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:00 PM, ggo85 said:

Thanks. I read the guidelines and they seemed mostly the same. Hence my question.  If my DH wears a jacket on chic night, will he look out of place?

Not at all.  On a very recent TA on Edge, while I can't say exact, I can estimate that well less than 50% of men wore a jacket a dinner in Luminae or Eden, myself included.  Simple collared, button down shirt, (though many just wore a polo and it was fine) casual slacks and never felt one bit out of place.  

Edited by LGW59
typo
  • Like 2

Reporting back.  Tonight (Chic) saw maybe 15% of men in jackets.  Probably 75% wore long-sleeved shirts. I’d estimate 50% of the women wore dressier outfits than last night (casual).  Some just a nicer top and others wore cocktail dresses.  Didn’t see anyone wearing long.  You can wear the exact same thing or dress up.  

• Like 2

IMO, Celebrity has the best dress code.  Chic night is much better than the old formal nights.   Most of our Celebrity cruises have been in Europe.   Dress is across the board.  Some formal and some casual and some in between.   Best of all, everyone having an enjoyable time.   Though, I have to admit I did ask the question here a long time ago and still am not sure what qualifies as "designer" jeans. 😀

On 11/30/2022 at 1:00 AM, ggo85 said:

I always wear a jacket on chic nights.

I may look out of place to others but I don't give a monkey's.

What others choose to wear on suggested dress code nights will never influence my decision!

My DH enjoys wearing a jacket on chic nights.  He wears a tie and jacket to work- but prefers more formal attire on the cruise ship.  For us , it is a true celebration of the cruise.  However, people should do what makes them comfortable.  Also, the ships at night tend to blast the a/c.  

Our son cruises on several luxury lines (Regent, Oceania, Silverseas) and wears the Untuckit shirts.  Long sleeve, short sleeve and they look fabulous!  Definitely perfect for chic nights.  untuckit.com has a great website if you’re interested in checking them out.

Edited by islabahia
New info

2 minutes ago, islabahia said:

Our son cruises on several luxury lines (Regent, Oceania, Silverseas) and wears the Untuckit shirts.  Long sleeve, short sleeve and they look fabulous!  Definitely perfect for chic nights.  

Untuckit 🤣

they have a name for everything now 

I am sticking with my Momo 

09CBFA4F-7397-4E34-B69E-7B13852A5035.jpeg

• Haha 1

My dress code is more defined by my cruising partner that trip and the ship temperature. Going with the wife? Dress pants and a long sleeve shirt, maybe a suit one night, if ship not too warm. Going with the daughter? Suit with vest formal/chic/dress your best nights, pants with shirt and tie most others. I am much more comfortable in dress pants than jeans though (don't actually own a pair of useable jeans anymore). But I am also used to wearing pants when playing golf if it is under 78 or so.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:00 PM, ggo85 said:

Just off Beyond and mixture of long sleeve shirts, sweaters and jackets. Would not be out of place with any of these.

15 hours ago, RichYak said:

Short sleeve button down shirt with a straight bottom worn untucked.

I guess my Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirts would also fit that category. Since I retired in 2020, I no longer own any suits or sport jackets. Evening Chic night I will usually wear one of my Tommy Bahama short sleeve button up shirts, untucked of course with long pants. All other smart casual nights it is nice, collared golf shirt and long pants.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

the old formal nights

I remember years ago on one of our first cruises headed back to our room still wet from the pool (and maybe a touch daysted) with a towel around my waist standing on the elevator next to someone in a tux lol. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I guess my Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirts would also fit that category. Since I retired in 2020, I no longer own any suits or sport jackets. Evening Chic night I will usually wear one of my Tommy Bahama short sleeve button up shirts, untucked of course with long pants. All other smart casual nights it is nice, collared golf shirt and long pants.

I notice that people on CC frequently mention that brand, Tommy Bahama,  of the shirt they are wearing.  They seem to be the official aloha shirts for cruises.     

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

I notice that people on CC frequently mention that brand, Tommy Bahama,  of the shirt they are wearing.  They seem to be the official aloha shirts for cruises.     

The last two i bought were from the shop on the Reflection in August.  i love the brand. They are not cheap but great shirts that last forever 

• Thanks 1