Hamburger,cheeseburger or veggie burger on a cruise

lenquixote66

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

In 1948 McDonalds was selling burgers for 15 cents (I just found that info online).  I cannot even imagine 6 cent burgers although I do remember 3 cent first class stamps :).

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

In 1948 McDonalds was selling burgers for 15 cents (I just found that info online).  I cannot even imagine 6 cent burgers although I do remember 3 cent first class stamps :).

The first time I went to a McDonalds was probably in the 70’s.The only fast food burger restaurant in my part of NY was White Castle .In 1962 something else opened but I do not remember what it was.

In 1932 stamps were selling for 3 cents.In 1958 it was 4 cents.

I remember The NY Times being 5 cents on weekdays.

31 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The first time I went to a McDonalds was probably in the 70’s.The only fast food burger restaurant in my part of NY was White Castle .In 1962 something else opened but I do not remember what it was.

In 1932 stamps were selling for 3 cents.In 1958 it was 4 cents.

I remember The NY Times being 5 cents on weekdays.

I always was a big fan of White Castle.  But when we moved to Pennsylvania (from NY) in the 50s there was no White Castle.  Whenever we were back in NY (about every month) I would beg my Dad to stop at White Castle or at Nathans (Coney Island).  

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I always was a big fan of White Castle.  But when we moved to Pennsylvania (from NY) in the 50s there was no White Castle.  Whenever we were back in NY (about every month) I would beg my Dad to stop at White Castle or at Nathans (Coney Island).  

I lived in Brooklyn 60 years and never tired of White Castle and Nathan’s.

My wife grew up in Coney Island.

Lots of Regional places too..........not sure if you had Krystal up north or not. Maybe they are a southern thing. But they are small and square and as a kid .I remember you could get 1/2 dozen of them for less than a buck!.....they always had mustard, onions and pickles on them and it was always a place that did a a great "late night" business. I think they were the southern version of White Castle LOL

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I like my burgers (and steak) medium-rare.  I want to see lots of red, taste the juices, etc.  These days there are only some cruise lines that will make a medium rare (or rare) burger with many only making well done (and tasteless).  Princess used to keep a large book hidden under the counter and if you wanted rare or med-rare you had to sign a health waiver.  Luxury lines like Seabourn will happily make a rare or med-rare burger.

I am another "ole as dirt" fellow who remembers 15 cent burgers (I do not recall 10 cent burgers) and 10 cent French fries.  Those were the good ole days.

Hank

My Med Rare.....

I Miss White Castle 😢 😭 😿 😢 😭 

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

White Castle is still located in Queens and Long Island

Hmm.  For me that would mean about $80 in gas, over $20 in tolls (which does not count the new fee under consideration to drive in NYC), and probably at least another $20 in short term parking fees.  And all that just to get to a White Castle!  That sure becomes an expensive burger :).  They used to sell frozen White Castle Burgers at the supermarket, but they were not nearly as good as the real thing!

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hmm.  For me that would mean about $80 in gas, over $20 in tolls (which does not count the new fee under consideration to drive in NYC), and probably at least another $20 in short term parking fees.  And all that just to get to a White Castle!  That sure becomes an expensive burger :).  They used to sell frozen White Castle Burgers at the supermarket, but they were not nearly as good as the real thing!

Hank

I was responding to BrooklynBoy8 .For him it is very close to go from Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was responding to BrooklynBoy8 .For him it is very close to go from Brooklyn.

My post was somewhat tongue in cheek :).  Since we have Grandchildren in NYC, we still do drive into the city a few times a year.  There are times when I might be crazy enough to say, "lets drive out to Queens and go to lunch at White Castle :).  On the other hand, I can walk from DDs Coop to Katz's.  If it comes down to pastrami or White Castle...hmmm.

Hank

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

My post was somewhat tongue in cheek :).  Since we have Grandchildren in NYC, we still do drive into the city a few times a year.  There are times when I might be crazy enough to say, "lets drive out to Queens and go to lunch at White Castle :).  On the other hand, I can walk from DDs Coop to Katz's.  If it comes down to pastrami or White Castle...hmmm.

Hank

I have never been to Katz’s Deli.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never been to Katz’s Deli.

Best pastrami sandwich on earth!  But it now costs $25.95 for a single sandwich, and if you get it at the counter (a good idea) the carver expects a small tip.  Add the NYC city and State taxes and it is about $30 for a sandwich.  Ouch.

Hank

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Best pastrami sandwich on earth!  But it now costs $25.95 for a single sandwich, and if you get it at the counter (a good idea) the carver expects a small tip.  Add the NYC city and State taxes and it is about $30 for a sandwich.  Ouch.

Hank

Last Sunday was my 56th.wedding anniversary.My children bought us dinner at a great Long Island Deli.They wanted it to be a nostalgia night .When we were dating and went to a Brooklyn Deli it was $1 for a pastrami on rye.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Last Sunday was my 56th.wedding anniversary.My children bought us dinner at a great Long Island Deli.They wanted it to be a nostalgia night .When we were dating and went to a Brooklyn Deli it was $1 for a pastrami on rye.

DW and I went to our favorite diner on Friday.  A Reuben used to be $9.00 now is $15.00.  Our diner was known to be a bargain so we experienced sticker shock.  The $30.00 Katz pastrami is starting to sound pretty good considering that 1 Katz sandwich can feed 2 people.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:03 AM, Lois R said:

Lots of Regional places too..........not sure if you had Krystal up north or not. Maybe they are a southern thing. But they are small and square and as a kid .I remember you could get 1/2 dozen of them for less than a buck!.....they always had mustard, onions and pickles on them and it was always a place that did a a great "late night" business. I think they were the southern version of White Castle LOL

My grandma, a lady of the south (Alabama and Georgia), loves Krystal's! She's lived in the north for the last 40+ years, but every time we venture south we try to stop at a Krystal for her. As with all things, it's not as good as she remembers, but those tiny little square burgers still pack some yummy taste. I'm not a fan of White Castle, even though I'm a grandson of the north. As far south as I made it, for any length of time, was Central Virginia for college. 

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

DW and I went to our favorite diner on Friday.  A Reuben used to be $9.00 now is $15.00.  Our diner was known to be a bargain so we experienced sticker shock.  The $30.00 Katz pastrami is starting to sound pretty good considering that 1 Katz sandwich can feed 2 people.

I never ate a Reuben.

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We almost never go to diners.The last time was in 2019 with people we met on a cruise who live in my part of NY.We were three couples.The experience was awful,not the food ,the waiter and the Manager were very rude.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We almost never go to diners.The last time was in 2019 with people we met on a cruise who live in my part of NY.We were three couples.The experience was awful,not the food ,the waiter and the Manager were very rude.

Our locals all runned by Greeks

• 2 months later...

I like medium cheeseburgers, still hot and juicy which I can eat with nearly any of the common condiments.  However, I have never had a decent burger on a cruise outside of Johnny Rockets and not even EVERY time I was at JR's.

3 hours ago, Seamus6 said:

I like medium cheeseburgers, still hot and juicy which I can eat with nearly any of the common condiments.  However, I have never had a decent burger on a cruise outside of Johnny Rockets and not even EVERY time I was at JR's.

I ate a burger at the very first on land JR and it tasted so bad that I never went back.
I only eat char broiled burgers with absolutely no pink.

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I ate a burger at the very first on land JR and it tasted so bad that I never went back.
I only eat char broiled burgers with absolutely no pink.

I fully understand.  For most of my life I only ate well done steak and burgers.  It's just been the last 6-7 years I started trying medium-well then medium then medium-rare.  I like Medium best but can tolerate medium rare.  I generally don't order medium rare because I can't handle if the under-cook to rare but If I order medium and they under-cook to MR, I can enjoy it.  I still like a  little char on the outside even when pink inside.  I just need some juice inside, if possible.  

As I said I also like a wide variety of condiments but enjoy making my own caramelized onion jam when grilling at home. 

What do you like on yours?