Hamburger,cheeseburger or veggie burger on a cruise

lenquixote66

I stopped eating meat burgers about 50 years ago.  And I have found most grocery store veggie burgers disappointing, especially the ones that taste like meat, so I rarely try one elsewhere.

However, on a HAL cruise a few years ago we got burgers (meat for him, veg for me) at the Dive In, along with an order of fries, and they were very good.

What do you do when you are on a cruise and become fooded out?  Go for a burger of course!  I have had some great burgers on Celebrity, RCI and MSC.  A good burger is made from at least two ground meats, like chuck and rib meat, and cooked to a perfect medium and topped with cheddar cheese.  I like my burgers straight up…no tomato and lettuce…maybe a thin slice of onion.  I will usually have a touch of ketchup but sometimes I like my burger on white bread with salt and pepper and nothing else.

• 1 month later...

Burgers of any type aren't my first choice, but -- if that's what I'm having -- I'll go with a hamburger.  With tomato and lettuce.  If they have chili nearby (which they often do), I like that too.  

I wish they made smaller slider burgers so I could have a burger + something else.  People who want a bigger burger could take two.  

• Like 1

If I'm having a burger onboard, I know it won't be great, so it's doused with mayo, ketchup, mustard, and relish. Plus, extra cheese! American or cheddar. That makes the burger tasty. If cooked medium, that's even better! Every burger I haven't done this to has been left half uneaten on my plate.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:08 PM, lenquixote66 said:

For me,nothing better than a well done burger on a cruise

On 1/24/2023 at 4:08 PM, lenquixote66 said:

For me,nothing better than a well done burger on a cruise

I like my a little bloody-juicy. DW like WD. 

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mine has to look like a hockey puck.

My better half likes it WD

I understand your reasoning, but it should be enjoyable with flavor. 

Maybe the accompaniments help to develop flavor.

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I understand your reasoning, but it should be enjoyable with flavor. 

Maybe the accompaniments help to develop flavor.

When I was a kid there was no such thing as McDonalds and Burger King.

I grew up on White Caste,4 cents for a burger

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I was a kid there was no such thing as McDonalds and Burger King.

I grew up on White Caste,4 cents for a burger

We had a lot of places in the past. Chain, Private we enjoyed with care.

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Burgers were 10 cents when I was a kid and they were good.  Now it’s hard to find a good burger under $20.00!!   

I have relatives and friends living in Cambridge .Over the years we have been to many restaurants there as well as Boston that offered great burgers.We have not been there since 2014 but I would think that a good tasting burger would be much less than $20.

I like my burgers (and steak) medium-rare.  I want to see lots of red, taste the juices, etc.  These days there are only some cruise lines that will make a medium rare (or rare) burger with many only making well done (and tasteless).  Princess used to keep a large book hidden under the counter and if you wanted rare or med-rare you had to sign a health waiver.  Luxury lines like Seabourn will happily make a rare or med-rare burger.

I am another "ole as dirt" fellow who remembers 15 cent burgers (I do not recall 10 cent burgers) and 10 cent French fries.  Those were the good ole days.

Hank

57 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I like my burgers (and steak) medium-rare.  I want to see lots of red, taste the juices, etc.  These days there are only some cruise lines that will make a medium rare (or rare) burger with many only making well done (and tasteless).  Princess used to keep a large book hidden under the counter and if you wanted rare or med-rare you had to sign a health waiver.  Luxury lines like Seabourn will happily make a rare or med-rare burger.

I am another "ole as dirt" fellow who remembers 15 cent burgers (I do not recall 10 cent burgers) and 10 cent French fries.  Those were the good ole days.

Hank

If you are as old as dirt what does that say about me.I remember burgers for 4 cents.cheese burgers 6 cents,French fries 5 cents and sodas 5 cents.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you are as old as dirt what does that say about me.I remember burgers for 4 cents.cheese burgers 6 cents,French fries 5 cents and sodas 5 cents.

In 1948 McDonalds was selling burgers for 15 cents (I just found that info online).  I cannot even imagine 6 cent burgers although I do remember 3 cent first class stamps :).  My childhood burger joint was called Carrol's which was a regional chain known for their 15 cent burgers.