Passenger smoking cannabis

Sea38

A recent study came out that smoking pot is worse for your lungs than cigarettes. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/smoking-marijuana-can-raise-risk-lung-disease-chest-scans-indicate-rcna57293

That smell would have prevented me from using my balcony.

I have no problem with allowing edibles or pills.

• Thanks 1

Smoking anything on the balcony is not okay.  This summer we reported a smoker ( never saw them or tried to figure out who) to our steward.  He stepped out and could smell it too.  Later in the day we smelled it again but not after that so they must have talked to them.  I suppose someone could be not be aware of the rules but that’s hard to believe.  

MJ or cigar smoke is more tolerable but only from a distance.  

Our most disappointing cruise was our first Jr Suite.  This was years ago before the rules.  Nice big balcony but it was literally unusable as our direct neighbors chained smoked.  I mean, I don’t think they ever left their balcony.  7 a.m. they were there.  3 p.m they were there. 2 a.m. they were there. They must have slept sometime because we couldn’t eat breakfast out there because they were hacking up stuff all morning, totally grossed us out. We are so glad the rules changed.

I don’t care what you smoke as long as you do it in an approved space.  We will avoid it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

It's not.  Under US Federal Law and a lot of ports it's illegal.   This breaks more than one rule onboard also.  I personally don't want to smell any smoke of any kind when I'm on my non-smoking balcony attached to my non-smoking room.

Thank you. I personally have PTSD when I smell it due to former worries about my teen (who is adult now). I really don't want to smell it anywhere much less on vacation. It is legal in Massachusetts, but thankfully I do not smell it here even in majority of Boston.

Edited by Tatka

I laughed at the jokes on this thread, but I have to say, I would have complained as well. I dislike smoke and try not to walk by smoking areas for that reason. I'd be mad as all get out to be on my (non-smoking) balcony and have to smell someone's smoke.

(But the jokes on here were funny.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeD67 said:

Either the OP didn’t communicate the issue onboard correctly or RCL is grossly negligent in failing to investigate.    

Maybe you missed what the OP reported in the first posting:

"On our recent Oasis cruise we had issues with the continual smell of weed, which we reported to a Senior Officer who agreed he could smell it, he then went on to do nothing about it.  I eventually found the culprit, we followed it up by queuing at Customer Relations desk, supplying photos etc"

Thank you for your support 😊 has made me feel like I wasn’t making something out of nothing like RCI have made me feel.

So in future we now know we need to make a full complaint on the ship and spend more of our time at Guest Services rather then enjoying our holiday and sorting it out when we return!! 

Like I have said to them there was clear avoidance of confrontation demonstrated by staff on board.

07EA86FF-207C-4871-9652-207CCF147695.jpeg

"Smoking is not permitted inside any stateroom and any stateroom balcony. This applies to all stateroom categories onboard. If a guest is in violation of this stateroom policy, a cleaning fee of $250 USD will be applied to their SeaPass® account and may be subject to further action pursuant to the "Consequences Section" of the Guest Conduct Policy."

I believe the above is still Royal Caribbean's policy regarding smoking anything.

And then there is this:

"Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned."

What Items Are Prohibited Onboard A Cruise Ship? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

The stairway between deck 7 & 8 stunk of it and that is where we first reported it to an Officer (who was walking by) and he agreed he could smell it and would advise Security, 2 days later there was no change the smell was still there 24/7!

22 minutes ago, Sea38 said:

Thank you for your support 😊 has made me feel like I wasn’t making something out of nothing like RCI have made me feel.

So in future we now know we need to make a full complaint on the ship and spend more of our time at Guest Services rather then enjoying our holiday and sorting it out when we return!! 

Like I have said to them there was clear avoidance of confrontation demonstrated by staff on board.

You've illustrated that the smoking appears to be below your unit, and we all know that smoke rises.  Marijuana smoke/odor can permeate an area nearby ... as some of us know. Without knowing what excuse ships' crew made for ignoring the company regulations ... and, likely, the law ... I'm left with the opinion that it matter was wrongly handled, and i don't understand why the matter would be ignored.  Also, too, the room steward should not have been required to expose himself to this ... either. 

Hindsight gives us 20/20 vision ... had I been confronted with the issue I'd probably have made my way to the Hotel/Rooms Manager, if not successful to the Captain ... in person (if possible) or my message of some sort.  Failing that, if I was truly pissed-off, I might have approached port police and reported drug use on the ship.  That would have gotten some attention.  But you handled it probably better than 99% of us ... responsibly.  I understand your frustration.  Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Longford
Added a sentence

40 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

If that's the case, wouldn't surprise me if the cruise lines started selling it on the ships and the same approach they do with alcohol.  If you want it, you can't bring (smuggle) it onboard.  You'll have to purchase it on the ship.

Sounds like a great business plan. 

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

I don't care WHAT they are SMOKING on their veranda. 

NO SMOKING EXCEPT IN DESIGNATED AREAS ! 

Vape anything and wherever you want but please no smoking.

Cigarette eyed as cause of cruise blaze

As shown by this picture, smoking on a balcony is a safety issue.  One of the biggest threats to cruise ship is fire.  

• Like 2

I'm thinking the op was wanting some sort of refund for which there's no reason for. Needed to be settled on the ship by enforcing the rules or allowing a change of cabins. The marijuana nowadays smells like skunk and I can't stand it. Now the weed of my time is a different story...😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sea38 said:

I’m shocked.   If you showed this photo to appropriate staff and they did nothing that is truely shameful.   I don’t care what he was smoking, it is a safety issue and one they supposedly take seriously.  All I can say is vote with your wallet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeD67 said:

I’m shocked.   If you showed this photo to appropriate staff and they did nothing that is truely shameful.   I don’t care what he was smoking, it is a safety issue and one they supposedly take seriously.  All I can say is vote with your wallet. 

Agree. As said when I had issue with Cigarette Smokers in next Balcony Security responded my first Call on First Day. Passengers were warned. Second Day same, were there in 10 minutes and Smokers were Fined. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

14 hours ago, Sea38 said:

On our recent Oasis cruise we had issues with the continual smell of weed, which we reported to a Senior Officer who agreed he could smell it, he then went on to do nothing about it.  I eventually found the culprit, we followed it up by queuing at Customer Relations desk, supplying photos etc 

Not only did the above take time out of our holiday but our holiday was also impacted with not being able to enjoy and use our balcony even though we had reported it.

Upon complaining on our return RCI have said they are no longer going to speak to us with regard to the matter,

Disappointingly this has confirmed I am no longer a customer but I am a consumer.

Anyone else had the RCI Executive Team refuse to take your complaint further?

We sailed on Oasis in October and had a balcony and the same happened to us, we had our daughter and granddaughter with us so wanted to use the balcony a lot. DW went to customer services to complain but not a lot was done, she spoke to our steward who did confirm it smelt and he would report it to his supervisor and my DW again went to customer services. They eventually came but could not determine where the culprit was (even thought it was the next cabin to us). The gave us a 10% refund but that was not the point, we are on a ship that allows people to smoke in designated areas and not in their cabins and definitely not using drugs!  

5 minutes ago, UnregisteredUser said:

What would be the reason for your ban if someone reported you smoking cigarettes on your balcony? (If I understod you correct)

Cracking the guy's skull 😈.  And I would do it. Speak to me like a man don't be a little rat running to reception desk. Though I don't smoke btw so it would never happen.

It is a pretty poor show that people can get drugs onboard the ship though. Weed you can smell for pity sake.

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sgmn said:

for the inadequacies if their senior staff on board 

Don't you mean the inadequacies of the ship's security it is near impossible to mask the smell. The searches where obiviously very poor. Coke you can get onboard taped to your body if the metal detector doesn't go off. That is how the young people got it on the NCL Gem in 2017.

Edited by ace2542