Hold that 2nd Lobster Tail and 3rd Entree in the MDR

MACE

25 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

My personal opinion is they should just do away with the lobster nights. I HATE fish and the smell of it. Lobster nights smell terrible! Then there wouldn't be any complaining about getting a second or third one...

I totally agree, those days my wife eat lobster or fish she can not expect anything romanticly from me... They should just switch it out to filet mignon or some delicious meat instead 😎

1 hour ago, UnregisteredUser said:

I totally agree, those days my wife eat lobster or fish she can not expect anything romanticly from me... They should just switch it out to filet mignon or some delicious meat instead 😎

Maybe she's doing it on purpose 🤔 😉🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, poocher said:

Well my opinion is the current lobster tails are awful, so bad in fact that it would be a crime to charge for extras.  If however, they start serving REAL cold water Maine lobster tails,  I do not believe a charge for additional tails is unreasonable.  Look, my opinion and spelled correctly!

The sample photo as posted in another thread of a Maine lobster tail must be a midget as it looks the same size as the Caribbean one which some posters are calling a bug.  I believe it was mentioned of $17 for a second plus 18% grats.

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

The sample photo as posted in another thread of a Maine lobster tail must be a midget as it looks the same size as the Caribbean one which some posters are calling a bug.

"Bug" is a slang term Florida divers use for spiny lobsters. Not sure if that term is used in the rest of the spiny lobster range.

11 hours ago, kernow said:

I don't really like lobster and usually order something else on the menu so it doesn't really matter to me.

However as the point of the thread is really about RCL cutbacks (and I agree there are many) I just wanted to say I've realised this week what amazing value a cruise still is. We should currently be on an 11 night Ovation cruise, the second part of a b2b. However I tested positive for covid on the last day of the first cruise and we had to get off in Sydney.

I hastily booked a hotel here for 11 nights, a 4 star Rydges room only with a kitchenette so we could do some food ourselves. The hotel cost £1974, this was a mid priced hotel, I could have spent lots more. The total price for the 11 night cruise was £1918 (balcony room including grats), of course including all the food, entertainment etc.

We've already spent hundreds on food and that's eating a lot less than we would have on the ship. 

No entertainment, no lovely cabin steward and wait staff looking out for us. 

I'll never let anyone tell me that cruising is expensive ever again.

Agreed! Especially if you can drive to your port. You can drive to a ship and go to far away islands, be fed, entertained and sleep while others clean and cook for you. We vacation in various modes of travel. Cruising is still the bang for your buck. You can spend as much as you like or save where you can to make it fit your budget. I think we take a lot for granted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

"Bug" is a slang term Florida divers use for spiny lobsters. Not sure if that term is used in the rest of the spiny lobster range.

My bad, I thought the reference was to the size, eg.  cucaracha.😜

23 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Come on, spelling and grammar are elementary school skills.  

To point out the use of one letter, is nothing more than just being petty, desperately seeking attention, and offering up nothing substantial to the subject matter

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, MACE said:

To point out the use of one letter, is nothing more than just being petty, desperately seeking attention, and offering up nothing substantial to the subject matter

You’ll note I have given my opinion & I was brought up to believe grammar and spelling do matter.  Of course I am old and think it a crime that cursive is no longer taught in school.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, poocher said:

You’ll note I have given my opinion & I was brought up to believe grammar and spelling do matter.  Of course I am old and think it a crime that cursive is no longer taught in school.

Cc used to have a rule about correcting grammar or spelling, though I dont know where the rules are any more.

My spellcheck plays games with me all the time and it's hard to catch. 

• Like 2

I am truly anal retentive about spelling.  As an office manager for a major department store, I would drive corporate nuts sending misspelled signs back and refusing to put up any with grammatical errors.  I actually dragged the GM of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame to a new exhibit & pointed out every error (and there were a ton!  There, there, they’re make me crazy!!!). I am in a 12 step program but sometimes I backslide!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, poocher said:

I am truly anal retentive about spelling.  As an office manager for a major department store, I would drive corporate nuts sending misspelled signs back and refusing to put up any with grammatical errors.  I actually dragged the GM of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame to a new exhibit & pointed out every error (and there were a ton!  There, there, they’re make me crazy!!!). I am in a 12 step program but sometimes I backslide!

I'm the same way. Not just spelling but punctuation and general language usage too. 

"Dinning room menu's? I could care less." 😁

12 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

Agreed! Especially if you can drive to your port. You can drive to a ship and go to far away islands, be fed, entertained and sleep while others clean and cook for you. We vacation in various modes of travel. Cruising is still the bang for your buck. You can spend as much as you like or save where you can to make it fit your budget. I think we take a lot for granted

Cruising might be good "bang for your buck", but for many of us ... probably not.  An alternative to other forms of vacation and travel?  Yes.  But less expensive?  

I'm a solo traveler, so my per person cost is higher than what a couple pays ... individually.  Add various expensive drink packages, internet, specialty dining, excursions, gratuities, etc. and it can be the more expensive option ... depending on the level of travel one chooses otherwise.

BTW:  I don't like imitation lobster ... such as "lobster tail".  Give me real Main lobster, and I might eat it.  It's not a choice I make eating in restaurants where I live, so I'd not be ordering lobster stomach/tail onboard the ship.  🙂  Offer me a quality filet of beef, or some lamb chops ... and I'd take the bait!

Edited by Longford

14 hours ago, RedIguana said:

"Bug" is a term used by all divers for all lobsters, not just the warm water variety.

Elvis

Edited by Elvis1209
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 5:08 PM, MACE said:

The self anointed spell Police is back. Instead of your frivolous replies, please tell us all here, any thoughts you may actually have, about RCI  and extra costs that may be charged in the MDR

My thoughts:

IF they were the same type of lobster, I could see being in an uproar. I might be upset if they were charging $16 for another of the small Caribbean lobster tails they currently serve.  

However, since the lobsters are totally different, this is an apples to oranges scenario.

The larger, cold water Maine lobster, the one they serve in normal and upscale restaurants in the US is worth an upcharge for a second tail.  You have had to pay extra for Maine lobster in Chops forever.  The fact that they are now offering one Maine lobster tail in the MDR as part of the regular menu is an upgrade as far as I am concerned.

Since you still can order 2 main entrees, order a steak and a large Maine lobster tail for surf and turf. If anyone can eat more than that, they should be charged.  I am not willing to pay for their gluttony (yes it will affect the bottom line of everyone's cruise.)

Since the no shorts people think that the MDR is such fine dining, show me one fine dining land establishment where you can get unlimited MAINE lobster. As a previous poster mentioned, probably only in a high roller buffet in Vegas.

People who are bemoaning the extra charge have obviously never eaten in a better restaurant where real lobster is served. Otherwise they have no idea what the difference is.  As mentioned, apples to oranges. The fact that you can now get Maine lobster is the MDR as part of the regular menu is actually an upgrade, not a downgrade.  S

Edited by cured
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cured said:

My thoughts:

IF they were the same type of lobster, I could see being in an uproar. I might be upset if they were charging $16 for another of the small Caribbean lobster tails they currently serve.  

However, since the lobsters are totally different, this is an apples to oranges scenario.

The larger, cold water Maine lobster, the one they serve in normal and upscale restaurants in the US is worth an upcharge for a second tail.  You have had to pay extra for Maine lobster in Chops forever.  The fact that they are now offering one Maine lobster tail in the MDR as part of the regular menu is an upgrade as far as I am concerned.

Since you still can order 2 main entrees, order a steak and a large Maine lobster tail for surf and turf. If anyone can eat more than that, they should be charged.  I am not willing to pay for their gluttony (yes it will affect the bottom line of everyone's cruise.)

Since the no shorts people think that the MDR is such fine dining, show me one fine dining land establishment where you can get unlimited MAINE lobster. As a previous poster mentioned, probably only in a high roller buffet in Vegas.

People who are bemoaning the extra charge have obviously never eaten in a better restaurant where real lobster is served. Otherwise they have no idea what the difference is.  As mentioned, apples to oranges. The fact that you can now get Maine lobster is the MDR as part of the regular menu is actually an upgrade, not a downgrade.  S

This topic IMO is an offshoot of the test menu presently on Symphony.  The so-called menu is quite skimpy and get rid of the classic entree options.  As a substitute on lobster night is the so-called Maine lobster tail, which from the picture is not any bigger than the present Caribbean one.