Do they check if wine bottles are sealed?

sweetpea2

They run your carry on through the scanner and can tell what a wine bottle looks like.  But it also depends on the port security and the person doing the checking.  Some ports are stricter than others .  Miami and Galveston, I'm talking about you.  

I always mention the wine in my carry on as I pass through security and get a yeah, okay, disinterested response. I've never had anything inspected. I've also never had any discussion with port staff about two bottles per person vs two per room. More than anything, port staff wants to move the line along. 

In Baltimore they look almost all of the time.  We've had to actually take the bottles out and they pick them up, turn them over, etc.  That's the only port we've ever had that scrutiny in. We don't carry wine onboard anymore as our two C&A amenities are bottles of wine.

Had two bottles in my carry on bag and they rolled through security and that was that. Never opened the carry on. That was at Cape Liberty last week.  And just to add - yes they were screw on caps. I find it much easier to carry around once opened.

Edited by nferr
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, paross4 said:

Ours have never been checked.  (we carry them on in a backpack)  Used to take corked wine, but decided it was simpler to bring screw top bottles.  (wine snobs, please don't judge us.... 😉 )

Some of my favourite wines are screw top. 

9 hours ago, superduper123 said:

Same here. Never had my carry on looked at, and I always have wine in it.

My biggest shock was a transatlantic out of Lauderdale. We were planning a land vacay after we arrived, and had a bottle of American rye for a friend we were going to visit.

I had it wrapped in bubble wrap, with a luggage tag on it, fully expecting to turn it in and get it back the last night.  They didn't even notice.  We kept it in the safe the entire voyage.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, as3369 said:

Costco sells a delicious Agave Wine based Margarita but I think it's 1.5 liter.  I wonder if I could just bring that on as two 750ml bottles?

Maybe, but you would be taking the risk of it being confiscated. Unlike a lot of other nebulous policy verbage coming from RC, the stated 2x750ml bottle policy is very specific.

3 hours ago, George C said:

I was very good smuggling booze on the ship , what stopped me was when they offered liquor package, also now that rccl diamond plus gives you 5 free drinks and there is a 3 hour happy hour for suites.

Yep... I don't plan on smuggling anything on.  But if it's allowed, I would like to bring the Margarita Wine cocktail.  I just enjoy it because I can't handle tequila.  No beverage package for me as the Diamond 4 is good enough.

16 hours ago, as3369 said:

Yep... I don't plan on smuggling anything on.  But if it's allowed, I would like to bring the Margarita Wine cocktail.  I just enjoy it because I can't handle tequila.  No beverage package for me as the Diamond 4 is good enough.

If its wine it should be good to go.

We've packed wine in our carry ons a couple times and then inadvertently checked them through.  The wine always got through along with full water bottles. I don't think they look for  liquids in checked baggage just weapons and banned electrical stuff. 

My brother always takes a bottle of Canadian club in his luggage. It has a rather distinctive shape and has never been found. YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2022 at 6:03 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

They inspected the bottles carefully  at the Baltimore port.    Not sure what  they are looking for.   Ours were sealed, so no problem.   I can't imagine why it would not be sealed. 

M

I'm guessing that someone could take an empty wine bottle and fill it with....liquor perhaps.....

On 12/8/2022 at 3:53 PM, mac66 said:

If its wine it should be good to go.

We've packed wine in our carry ons a couple times and then inadvertently checked them through.  The wine always got through along with full water bottles. I don't think they look for  liquids in checked baggage just weapons and banned electrical stuff. 

My brother always takes a bottle of Canadian club in his luggage. It has a rather distinctive shape and has never been found. YMMV

They x-ray all luggage and plenty of people have been caught with liquor in their luggage and have had to go claim the bag in the naughty room where they give you a receipt while they hold the contraband for pickup at the end of the cruise.  Everything guests and crew bring onboard gets x-rayed.  You just got lucky.