Another cut being tested: Once per day cabin service

Tenderpaw

28 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I mean, that's what exactly we did. We realized Carnival's product had changed due to cutbacks and we began to prefer Royal more, so we started sailing Royal more frequently. Only to have them begin to make the same cutbacks. Isn't that how it goes with most of them, though? Instead of keeping the perks and marketing the differences as an advantage, they all end up conforming with the same cutbacks over time. It's to be expected, I suppose, but it's still hard to accept when they discontinue  something you appreciate.

The bad news is, this is the new norm. The halcyon days of cruising are over for the mainstrean lines. The diminishing services and increasing costs will continue to please the shareholders. There are new people cruising all the time and they don't/won't notice the incrimental changes that veteran cruises do. 

Cruises used to be considered somewhat of a luxury. Now, they're a commodity. The new ships have become amusement parks at sea. Nothing wrong with that. Just not our cup of tea. The good news is, there are many choices that one can avail themselves of when deciding on a cruise. Your money. Your choice.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I must be the ancient mariner. Started Carnival in 1989, moved to Royal in 2008. Our last ship was Glory out of PC

Started on Carnival Triumph in 1999. Really loved their 50% off military rates and the value product they used to offer.  You could get filet mignon every night in the MDR.  Things started slipping about 10 years ago.  We've been trying other lines and have settled on Royal for now.  Our last Carnival cruise will be next month on Mardi Gras.  It's a milestone cruise and it is hard to pass up all of that OBC.  We will have a good time regardless and try not to end up on YouTube! 😉  

Edited by RoperDK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

I’ve just stayed in 5 different hotels in various cities in the USA. Only one did the room get serviced ( aka bed made)  which came as a total shock to me.

Cruising is becoming more and more like hotels...ya get what ya pay for.

48 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Calling sounds much easier than standing in the long line at GS on boarding day. I always wondered why that line was so long when we boarded.

I don’t intend to remove Gratuties, I just was interested in how it was done.Thanks 

Mariner last Friday

20221201_165036.thumb.jpg.a4d614961113c468c505b1e86bf9d413.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I mean, that's what exactly we did. We realized Carnival's product had changed due to cutbacks and we began to prefer Royal more, so we started sailing Royal more frequently. Only to have them begin to make the same cutbacks. Isn't that how it goes with most of them, though? Instead of keeping the perks and marketing the differences as an advantage, they all end up conforming with the same cutbacks over time. It's to be expected, I suppose, but it's still hard to accept when they discontinue  something you appreciate.

I'm guessing here but think the cruise lines are struggling to address revenue & expense issues.  For us that means we have to pay more to retain the higher service. I agree it looks like some are quick to copy some of the cuts. I understand the frustration over what someone would consider a service cut-back.  It will be interesting to watch how this continues across the mass market lines.  

I'm repeating myself, but was looking at a cruise back in 2000.  I could do the same cruise line and itinerary today at  half the equivalent cost.  Of course the product has changed a lot to make low fares possible.  Food isn't anywhere near as good as it was,  a lot of the old features simply no longer exist, and there are more extra cost items.  I can still get those things by paying more I guess , but right now I'm still happy with the product. 

• Like 1

I too enjoy the twice a day cabin service. The main thing is the bathroom towels being replaced. We like to shower in the morning and again in the evening before dinner. While we DO hang our towels up at home and reuse them, quite frankly I don't want to do that on vacation. I want to be pampered, and part of that is having fresh towels for each shower. Will this cause me to change cruise lines? No, but it might cause me to reevaluate our tipping habits if we are receiving less service. 

• Like 3

On 12/7/2022 at 1:11 PM, Tenderpaw said:

Serious question, but who does this benefit?

It's not like the room stewards are just going to go to the crew bar and put their feet up the rest of the day. They're going to be kept busy somewhere on the ship.

Or does this mean they'll hire less stewards but give them more rooms to clean?

It totally benefits Royal as a cost cutting effort:  fewer room stewards, less towels to wash, less laundry attendents, less water to produce on board, less cleaning chemicals for the rooms, less soap in the laundry.  All under the guise of "sustainability".  

That would mean cabins being done last would have morning service completed around time for dinner (think of that, it would be twice less stewards) when the former night service would be executed in old pre-shmandemic days.

Voyage, Voyage!

Edited by kirtihk

23 hours ago, fpcruiser said:

I don't use one towel just once, usually change about every 4th day at home, so why would I need a different towel each day on the cruise.

Hmmm... The most people cook home themselves.  So, why would they need a different way of meal preparation on the cruise?  I may continue the list.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Calling sounds much easier than standing in the long line at GS on boarding day. I always wondered why that line was so long when we boarded.

I don’t intend to remove Gratuties, I just was interested in how it was done.Thanks 

You don't have to go on boarding day to remove grats. In fact, you can go any time during your cruise, even if you've been charged to your stateroom account, and have them totally removed.

I walk by GS enough during the week that I eventually find 0 line and pop in to make my request. Never wait in line 🙂

• Like 4

So far this is only taking place on Quantum? Has anyone seen it elsewhere? Quantum is in Australia right now, so maybe that's why they chose this ship as test market. May not spread to North America until next year sometime.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I'm guessing here but think the cruise lines are struggling to address revenue & expense issues.  For us that means we have to pay more to retain the higher service. I agree it looks like some are quick to copy some of the cuts. I understand the frustration over what someone would consider a service cut-back.  It will be interesting to watch how this continues across the mass market lines.  

I'm repeating myself, but was looking at a cruise back in 2000.  I could do the same cruise line and itinerary today at  half the equivalent cost.  Of course the product has changed a lot to make low fares possible.  Food isn't anywhere near as good as it was,  a lot of the old features simply no longer exist, and there are more extra cost items.  I can still get those things by paying more I guess , but right now I'm still happy with the product. 

Absolutely.. The Cruise "value" is still there; albeit the cruise "experience" has diminished.  Like anything, cruises are a commodity and it's up to the consumer to decide if they wish to cruise.  At the end of the day, choose what works best for you!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 1:00 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Not a problem for those of us that do not participate in auto gratuity 

What is your rationale for not participating?  And how do you ensure all the different types of employees that benefit from automatic gratuities are compensated by you as they would have been but for your removal? 

On 12/7/2022 at 12:52 PM, Tenderpaw said:

LOL!  That isn't likely to happen.  But maybe they can set up a kiosk at the table where we order the food electronically and and a robot brings it to us.  But still charge us the same or more for gratuities and tell us how its better for us and for the environment too.

And the robot will keep strict control and track of any extra appetizers or main courses you order so you can be charged extra for your convenience.

They did this with bar service lol

i was always under the impression the second service wasn’t really a full service but just turn down. Turn your sheets out just a little, make a towel animal, chocolate and tomorrow compass on the pillow. This was truly one of the little Luxeries of cruiseing

Edited by nyguyrw
  • Like 5

On 12/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, Tenderpaw said:

https://www.cruisehive.com/service-change-spotted-on-royal-caribbean-ship/89773

Ugh!  Note, no reduction in gratuities, no reduction in fares.  Just less service.

But in before all the cheerleaders:

1.  it doesn't matter to me because of xyz

2.  at least we can still cruise and we don't want Royal to go out of business

3.  its still better than at home so it doesn't matter

4.  i reuse my towels to save the environment and you should too you terrible person

5.  Carnival already does this and its fine.

Definitely agree on everything here. Fees up, service goes down! You had me thinking about #4...we go through two sets of towels a day...meanwhile, someone worries about global warming...they're the "dirty towel" people.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 1:07 PM, LB_NJ said:

We usually tip the steward a few extra dollars at the end of the cruise.  I guess that will also go away.

Personally, I will only cruise Royal these days if the price is incredibly cheap or free.  The line has gone significantly downhill since COVID.  

Earlier on, right after they jacked up the gratuity fees, we decided - no more tipping the cabin stewards  or wait staff extra money UNLESS they do something extraordinary for us. We no longer "extra tip" head waiters (WHY) but we DO tip the bartenders each time.

Our upcoming cruise might be our last one with RCL for a while - it's just that it's time for us to try the other lines (EXCEPT Carnival), but we're expecting to see similar quality cutbacks as well.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Longford said:

Question:  My cruise was 7 nights.  Western Caribbean.  I was uncertain of the appropriate cash gratuity I should leave the room steward.  I was pleased with the service and interaction.  So, I left $50 cash ... the morning before arriving back in Tampa.  After leaving the gratuity I encountered the room steward twice.  Not once did he thank me.  Is lack of expressions of thanks typical, or required by RCL?  I know that when my hotel housekeeping staff was rewarded they typically left a note of thanks.  Since I'm a newbie to cruising, I just don't know.  😁

People's extra tip choices are all over the place.  Since you had already covered the steward's basic gratuity with your daily charge, then I would think $50 is quite generous.  There are only two of us and we keep the cabin very tidy, but do request extra towels, ice, and leave a few glasses that need to be picked up.  We usually leave and extra $20 to $40.  If we have asked for something unusual or more time consuming, then we tip more.  Only once did we not tip extra when we received some pretty awful service.  Once we start to receive once a day service and the service charge remains the same, I doubt we will tip extra.  As far as not acknowledging your extra tip, we have noticed the same thing post covid on Royal.  In general, Royal's stewards have been polite, but not overly friendly.  This is just our experience.       

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jencruzin said:

Earlier on, right after they jacked up the gratuity fees, we decided - no more tipping the cabin stewards  or wait staff extra money UNLESS they do something extraordinary for us. We no longer "extra tip" head waiters (WHY) but we DO tip the bartenders each time.

Our upcoming cruise might be our last one with RCL for a while - it's just that it's time for us to try the other lines (EXCEPT Carnival), but we're expecting to see similar quality cutbacks as well.

Im curious as to why not Carnival? We've cruised on various lines for years. Or last cruise was Carnival. and it seems they have more/better free food options. more extended food options. Their app is amazing and MTD is actually that- you click on the app and they notify you when your table is ready. They have plenty of space in the dinning rooms for separate tables for two. he food was quality and variety in the MDR was very good but the price was good enough that he could pay for premium dining and still have money left over from the price of what we are paying for our next Royal cruise. And the clientele is beginning to look the same on both lines. So im just curios as to why so adamite about no Carnival? No trying to be rude, truly curious for your feedback. 

Edited by ballarinamom
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Cutbacks rankle me as much as the next person, but there are lots of choices for cruising and there seem to be fewer reasons to be "loyal" to any one line.  My first cruise was on Royal, and in the 50-some cruises since I've been on Celebrity, NCL, HAL, Viking, and Cunard so far, and have a cruise on Oceania booked.  Even a mediocre day at sea is better than a good day at the office, so I make do with the benefits and amenities available.  It also helps not to take cutback issues out on the workers who provide personal services.  A ready smile and some conversation goes a long way and can put one ahead of the entitled complainers that they deal with.

If something really bothers me - a fire safety issue from scooters and wheelchairs parked in corridors or a food sanitation issue for example - I seek out and speak to the appropriate management official.

Any questions?  See my signature line below. 😉

On our last cruise on P&O Azura November 18-December 2nd we praised the Chef's in Sindhu and Glasshouse speciality restaurants to our waiters and both chef's personally came out to our table to thank us.

We spoke to the restaurant manager on deck one day and she said how much they appreciate our kind words and happy smiles.

I mentioned P&O because it was our last cruise but we are D+ and were on Anthem of the seas in September 2022.

Unless there is 3 in a cabin and a bunk bed needs to be turned down from a sofa for the night 1cabin service surely is enough.

As I posted earlier we now no longer want a cabin steward to service our cabin except for a weekly bedding change.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

19 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

So I was on one of the first cruises when Carnival switched to once a day in 2019.  You had to pick if you wanted morning or evening service.  If you selected morning, the steward would still come back in the evening for turn down service but would not clean.

We experienced that, too.  It isn't that way anymore.  However, when we were on our last Carnival cruise on Mardi Gras in Oct. 2021 our cabin steward did bring us ice in the evening too because I had knee replacement and needed the ice for swelling.  He got a large tip! 

• Like 1

in fairness.... Quantum is right now one of the worst ships in the fleet for service.  Did Star Class on it a few months ago and have had better service in sky class.  Our genie spent most of the time trying to tell us how we could do things ourself than just making it happen.