Diamond Plus - No More Concierge/Suite Lounge Access

DaKahuna

13 minutes ago, jclinard said:

Except that it appears RCI is going to yank benefits when too many people hit levels.  Waving a perk chart at you to show what you can get for being loyal then cutting them when enough people hit the milestone makes me question if it is a bona-fide loyalty program or just a marketing ploy.

It's both and always has been.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Pinnacles in a non (full) suite have been banned from the CL for weeks on Serenade that we just disembarked from yesterday.  I don't expect to find they will have access to CL on Jewel we are about to board next month.  

If it makes you feel any better, they were allowed in on week one of our B3B.  36 and plenty of room all the time.  It was when they crossed over 40 they closed it.  Personally I found both the Pinnacle event and suite lounge underutilized for those cruises.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, island lady said:

We enjoyed our time in the SL and CK for four weeks on Wonder of which we just returned from a few weeks ago.  Yes, we wore our Pinnacle badges in that venue.  The same as we did on Harmony a few weeks before that.  

Did you ever consider those of that are in there (while you are judging us), may actually be in a full suite?   Grand Suite on that deck is a perfect location we adored.  

If you did not go up and ask those Pinnacles wearing those badges if they were in a full suite...why are you assuming they are taking up "your" suites seats?  

I did make some assumptions but I also knew that not all of the Pinnacles were in suites.  Two of the Pinnacles on this particular cruise was someone I worked with and his wife.  He introduced us to a few of their friends.  Later at the Park Cafe we had a discussion about how many Pinnacles sailed in suites once they made Pinnacle.  

If it came across as if I was making a judgement, the I apologize.  My internet was to point out how difficult it would be for the Concierge/Suite Host to estimate how busy the lounge may or may not be at any given time on any given sailing. 

My comment about the majority of people being in the lounge had nothing to do with whether or not the Pinnacle guest were in a suite as it did not matter, they were allowed to be there.  It was actually more about how few non-Pinnacle Suite guest were observed.

12 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

If it came across as if I was making a judgement, the I apologize.  My internet was to point out how difficult it would be for the Concierge/Suite Host to estimate how busy the lounge may or may not be at any given time on any given sailing

Not really difficult at all.  All the ships know how many Pinnacle guests are due to board, by at least the week before.  They all have a threshold of the maximum amount of Pinnacles that may be allowed into the SL or CL, which is different with each size of ship or lounge capacity.   On recently disembarked Serenade that number was 30.  Sadly the beautiful CL on that ship was empty every night.  

Edited by island lady

12 hours ago, Cigar King said:

If it makes you feel any better, they were allowed in on week one of our B3B.  36 and plenty of room all the time.  It was when they crossed over 40 they closed it.  Personally I found both the Pinnacle event and suite lounge underutilized for those cruises.

That's nice.  Though I still would not have used it...in a suite or not.   Except for coffee in the morning.  

We use other venues for happy hour drinks.  Which of course....frees up two seats in the lounge for availability.  😉 

They almost need more tiers or dividing them up so higher in the tier can get more. 

We had 179 pinnacles first week and 130 2nd week. They were kicked out of other lounges in the morning and only got 1 lunch and 1 dinner in ck. Seems they had some lounge in the evening but I could have heard wrong. Couldnt find a place to sit if you wanted specialty coffee around 9 am in diamond lounge. Nice lounge but sure not made for over 1200 who had access. 

With cruise prices going up imo fewer will be whipping thru the ranks and hit pinnacle and diamond plus etc now. Good thing double pts promo ending soon. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 11:40 AM, island lady said:

Have had Diamonds brag to me many times about their status.....I just smile and say "Congratulations"....and of course I was not wearing my Pinnacle pin at the time.  😉 

Currently on Oasis, and the Pinnies wearing their badges have all been pretty nice.  One lady (I didn’t see her name) let some of the CK staff and other passengers watch the World Cup PK shoot out on her phone. It was a nice moment to see everyone all enjoying something together.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 3:43 PM, jclinard said:

Except that it appears RCI is going to yank benefits when too many people hit levels.  Waving a perk chart at you to show what you can get for being loyal then cutting them when enough people hit the milestone makes me question if it is a bona-fide loyalty program or just a marketing ploy.

A loyalty program is nothing but a marketing tool. Not sure I get your question

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 8:10 PM, DaKahuna said:

I did make some assumptions but I also knew that not all of the Pinnacles were in suites.  Two of the Pinnacles on this particular cruise was someone I worked with and his wife.  He introduced us to a few of their friends.  Later at the Park Cafe we had a discussion about how many Pinnacles sailed in suites once they made Pinnacle.  

If it came across as if I was making a judgement, the I apologize.  My internet was to point out how difficult it would be for the Concierge/Suite Host to estimate how busy the lounge may or may not be at any given time on any given sailing. 

My comment about the majority of people being in the lounge had nothing to do with whether or not the Pinnacle guest were in a suite as it did not matter, they were allowed to be there.  It was actually more about how few non-Pinnacle Suite guest were observed.

I've spent more nights in a full suite post Pinnacle than pre Pinnacle.

I have more time and money now😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simple.  A bone-fide loyalty program has perks they intend to honor as people hit those levels.  A marketing ploy has perks they intended to pull once people start reaching that level.

As RCI has pulled back on or eliminated perks as people have started hitting loyalty levels, I'm reconsidering the value of defaulting to a Royal Caribbean cruise.  What would be the point of chasing the 340 point level to get reduced single supplement fees (which is of far more interest to me than most off the other perks) only to hit that level and having RCI discontinue that perk due to the increased ranks of the 340 level.

• Haha 1

I think part of the issue is what people became accustomed to in quiet restart after the pandemic times and back to full capacity times.

Case in point, recently on Symphony I had 2 guests in front of me at CK on boarding day. The first guest was pinnacle, second guest was D+

First guest was trying to make reservations for CK and was given restricted hours due to over 100 pinnacles onboard.

He was perfectly fine and understood the situation and took what was offered. (Not in full suite)

guest 2 was D+ in JS. When he was told he would have to check on a daily basis if there was an opening for CK that day he started yelling at the staff that it was completely unacceptable as he’d made CK reservations before in a JS with no issue. (Also he’ll bent on making sure they knew he was D +)  Despite multiple staff trying to explain that guests in suites had priority, Pinnacles had next priority and JS could see if there was availability on the morning they wanted to dine in the evening he wasn’t having any of it. I was actually quite embarrassed by his berating of the staff and felt very sorry they had guests that treated them that way.

Hopefully this will alleviate some of the abuse they have to put up with.

Edited by Spurschick

4 hours ago, Spurschick said:

I think part of the issue is what people became accustomed to in quiet restart after the pandemic times and back to full capacity times.

Case in point, recently on Symphony I had 2 guests in front of me at CK on boarding day. The first guest was pinnacle, second guest was D+

First guest was trying to make reservations for CK and was given restricted hours due to over 100 pinnacles onboard.

He was perfectly fine and understood the situation and took what was offered. (Not in full suite)

guest 2 was D+ in JS. When he was told he would have to check on a daily basis if there was an opening for CK that day he started yelling at the staff that it was completely unacceptable as he’d made CK reservations before in a JS with no issue. (Also he’ll bent on making sure they knew he was D +)  Despite multiple staff trying to explain that guests in suites had priority, Pinnacles had next priority and JS could see if there was availability on the morning they wanted to dine in the evening he wasn’t having any of it. I was actually quite embarrassed by his berating of the staff and felt very sorry they had guests that treated them that way.

Hopefully this will alleviate some of the abuse they have to put up with.

First of all, D+ are not allowed in the CK.

How, the problem was not the D+ tier level but his/her staying in the JS.  To alleviate what you consider/indicate a problem, in this case, is not allowing JS Paxs in CK.

Stop dumping on us lowly D+s.  We don't go around flashing our gold badges.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, midwife1021 said:

Currently on Oasis, and the Pinnies wearing their badges have all been pretty nice.  One lady (I didn’t see her name) let some of the CK staff and other passengers watch the World Cup PK shoot out on her phone. It was a nice moment to see everyone all enjoying something together.

Thank you so much for pointing out that Pinnacles are just people, like everyone else.  We just have an unusual addiction to cruising, which just happened to make that milestone.  😉 😄 

• Like 6

On 12/18/2022 at 11:43 AM, island lady said:

Any idea how much Pinnacles that cruise in suites paid over the years?  

Here is another spin on funds spent.  How about the D+ who sail 98% of the time in Star Class and the others in full suites. 😱

On 12/18/2022 at 3:43 PM, jclinard said:

Events such as Diamonds in December helped to create this "monster". 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 8:18 AM, island lady said:

Not really difficult at all.  All the ships know how many Pinnacle guests are due to board, by at least the week before.  They all have a threshold of the maximum amount of Pinnacles that may be allowed into the SL or CL, which is different with each size of ship or lounge capacity.   On recently disembarked Serenade that number was 30.  Sadly the beautiful CL on that ship was empty every night.  

What is the compromise if there was to be one?  As you mention the lounge appears to be under utilized when they are not allowed in, but a suite guest can easily come and go as they wish when the lounge is empty.  

What if a SL could only hold 30 Pinnacles and there were 70 on board do they let the first 30 in every night and the other 40 don't get in?  Would there be a line every night when it opens like Adventure Ocean?  Once capacity is hit then that's it.  It could work what happens when a husband wife couple is split because the suppose is #41 in the line. Could this work?  I guess Pinnacles could get a rotating night schedule but that sounds like a lot to organize and then regulate at the door.

Unfortunately RC has created a program to which has had great success in growing the members of the ranks.  Other than attrition these ranks will not decline, unless C&A members stop sailing.  I wonder if the D lounge will eventually become the Pinnacle Lounge and the Diamonds sadly got the boot. I wonder if this is to come in the next couple of years. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

6 hours ago, jclinard said:

Simple.  A bone-fide loyalty program has perks they intend to honor as people hit those levels.  A marketing ploy has perks they intended to pull once people start reaching that level.

As RCI has pulled back on or eliminated perks as people have started hitting loyalty levels, I'm reconsidering the value of defaulting to a Royal Caribbean cruise.  What would be the point of chasing the 340 point level to get reduced single supplement fees (which is of far more interest to me than most off the other perks) only to hit that level and having RCI discontinue that perk due to the increased ranks of the 340 level.

There are other cruise lines out there.   Perhaps they would be a better fit for you?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Here is another spin on funds spent.  How about the D+ who sail 98% of the time in Star Class and the others in full suites. 😱

Star class is still a suite.  😉 

Pinnacles got to that status with having more points than a D+, thus more cruising than a D+.   If they are both always sailing in suites?  

"Little Johnny in the front row....could you please answer that math question for me?"  😄 

BTW:  A Pinnacle is still a Pinnacle...with 700 points or 7000 points.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

What is the compromise if there was to be one?  As you mention the lounge appears to be under utilized when they are not allowed in, but a suite guest can easily come and go as they wish when the lounge is empty.  

What if a SL could only hold 30 Pinnacles and there were 70 on board do they let the first 30 in every night and the other 40 don't get in?  Would there be a line every night when it opens like Adventure Ocean?  Once capacity is hit then that's it.  It could work what happens when a husband wife couple is split because the suppose is #41 in the line. Could this work?  I guess Pinnacles could get a rotating night schedule but that sounds like a lot to organize and then regulate at the door.

Unfortunately RC has created a program to which has had great success in growing the members of the ranks.  Other than attrition these ranks will not decline, unless C&A members stop sailing.  I wonder if the D lounge will eventually become the Pinnacle Lounge and the Diamonds sadly got the boot. I wonder if this is to come in the next couple of years. 

Does not apply to me.   We have not used the lounges (DL/CL/SL) since the voucher program came out.  We prefer our happy hour in other venues, sitting at one of the bars.  

Too much politics, chair saving, "evil eye looks", and especially too loud in those.  

Sooo...you are welcome to the two seats we don't occupy.  🙂 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Does not apply to me.   We have not used the lounges (DL/CL/SL) since the voucher program came out.  We prefer our happy hour in other venues, sitting at one of the bars.  

Too much politics, chair saving, "evil eye looks", and especially too loud in those.  

We only go into the lounge now in the morning for our cappuccino and very rarely in the afternoon for another. We love that the vouchers are loaded to our cards every day.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We only go into the lounge now in the morning for our cappuccino and very rarely in the afternoon for another. We love that the vouchers are loaded to our cards every day.

Definitely agree.  😎

Love my early morning Latte runs.   Which is pretty much all I use the lounge for...though have popped in there in the afternoon to collect a double shot espresso to bring to a favorite bartender around the ship to ask him/her to make me an espresso martini.  Many of the bars don't have coffee machines with them.  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Star class is still a suite.  😉 

So is a JS, but there is a difference. 

Pinnacles got to that status with having more points than a D+, thus more cruising than a D+.   If they are both always sailing in suites?  

"Little Johnny in the front row....could you please answer that math question for me?"  😄 

BTW:  A Pinnacle is still a Pinnacle...with 700 points or 7000 points.  

I was just talking about money spent, as a comparable to your comment to someone else.  

There is always someone who spent more.  A Pinnacle member with 7,000 points (if one exists I honestly do not know) has more than likely spent more but I wouldn’t bet money on that. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

There will be your two seats and our three as well.  We never visit the lounges DL, CL, and SL. It isn’t our thing.

I was just wondering if there was a way to make it work for the Pinnacles that can’t go in, but if the vouchers continue it’s all good for some/many Pinnacles. 

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

They could just do what airlines do when there are more passengers in their top tiers than there are available seats for upgrades. They just give the upgrades to the people with the most miles. Occasionally, couples do have to either turn down a single upgrade or get split. Similarly, in the above case, they could just admit the 30 Pinnacles who have the most C&A points.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, actuarian said:

They could just do what airlines do when there are more passengers in their top tiers than there are available seats for upgrades. They just give the upgrades to the people with the most miles. Occasionally, couples do have to either turn down a single upgrade or get split. Similarly, in the above case, they could just admit the 30 Pinnacles who have the most C&A points.

All of these are very good suggestions. It seems like an “empty” lounge is poor use of space, however for the suite guests that want a seat when they arrive it is an interesting situation.