Does Celebrity charge for food?

DonRoberto88

I was on the Summit repo cruise in Oct.  One night there were lobster tails in the dining room for dinner.  No extra charge.  A day after that, there were tons of lobster tails in the buffet during lunch.  You should have seen the line of people getting two of three of them each!  They were delicious, and I'm from Massachusetts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

I was on the Summit repo cruise in Oct.  One night there were lobster tails in the dining room for dinner.  No extra charge.  A day after that, there were tons of lobster tails in the buffet during lunch.  You should have seen the line of people getting two of three of them each!  They were delicious, and I'm from Massachusetts.

PXL_20221026_171845819.jpg

• Like 2

In Tuscan Grill you can pay extra for certain types of steaks not on the "covered" menu. Tho' I never could see why anyone would. The steaks on the "regular" menu are very good. And you have already paid a premium price to dine there. 

• Like 1

On the E class they charge for pastries in the French Cafe.

There is a charge for Gelato

In Craft Social there is a food menu that charges for food.

There are also some restaurants with charges for upgraded entrees 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

It should also be said that even carnival has offered lobster and filet at least one night per sailing for well over a decade so this is nothing new.  Also for well over a decade, that Carnival allows you order for an up charge a filet and/or lobster at most restaurants.

The only recent change are that some cruise lines are charging for multiple entrees and/or a second lobster tail

5 hours ago, miched said:

On the E class they charge for pastries in the French Cafe.

There is a charge for Gelato

In Craft Social there is a food menu that charges for food.

There are also some restaurants with charges for upgraded entrees 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Where is the French Cafe?

On the Celebrity Reflection last August, no extra charge for shrimp cocktails any night or lobster when on the menu for formal night. We followed the Reflection with a HAL Oosterdam cruise and they charged $8.50 for shrimp cocktails and $30 for fillet and 5oz lobster tails in the MDR, "surf and turf" was a sirloin steak with 5 grilled small shrimp on one formal night, no included lobster tails.

• Thanks 1

My understanding the lines you are speaking of RCL and Carnival are testing new menus.   Neither charger for Lobster.   RCL is testing extra up charges for a second entree of Steak and or Lobster.   Carnival implemented a surcharge on 3rd or 4th entree.

Celebrity still serves Lobster an usually asks if you want a second.  

On 12/14/2022 at 4:35 PM, Tyler414 said:

Not yet, there is a cover charge for the specialty restaurants. If you want a second "main course" in specialty restaurant I think they charge $20 for that.

When did they start this?  

25 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

When did they start this?  

"When did they start this?"  if you are referring to the cover charge, it's not new.  If referring to ordering two mains, I think it may vary by waiter/staff.  I ate in Eden twice, specialty dining was included with my suite and I ordered two mains in Eden both times I ate there.  May have been because I did ask the waiter if the main choice I made was filling or was it small, he just said why don't I just bring you two and I just said, OK sounds like a plan.

Just now, LGW59 said:

"When did they start this?"  if you are referring to the cover charge, it's not new.  If referring to ordering two mains, I think it may vary by waiter/staff.  I ate in Eden twice, specialty dining was included with my suite and I ordered two mains in Eden both times I ate there.  May have been because I did ask the waiter if the main choice I made was filling or was it small, he just said why don't I just bring you two and I just said, OK sounds like a plan.

Referring to two main courses.  We were on Equinox in November and we were not charged.  Good to know for the future!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

Referring to two main courses.  We were on Equinox in November and we were not charged.  Good to know for the future!

If you ever sail on an E-Class ship, I very highly recommend Eden.  Although it was included, even if I were paying the $55, totally worth it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

My understanding the lines you are speaking of RCL and Carnival are testing new menus.   Neither charger for Lobster.   RCL is testing extra up charges for a second entree of Steak and or Lobster.   Carnival implemented a surcharge on 3rd or 4th entree.

Celebrity still serves Lobster an usually asks if you want a second.  

1 hour ago, bjahil47 said:

As Jim_Iain said, this seems to be something RCL is testing, but has not been reported on Celebrity at all. 

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

If you have unlimited specialty dining it is unlimited and different than those who book and pay and they do charge for extra entrees or tge up charged menu items.

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

If you ever sail on an E-Class ship, I very highly recommend Eden.  Although it was included, even if I were paying the $55, totally worth it!

I second this; I’ve dined at every X specialty venue except for Le Voyage…Best food and restaurant in the fleet

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

We plan on trying Eden on the Apex next September at least once, other than that we most likely will stick with Luminae for diners. We tried the Lawn Club Grill on the Reflection in August and it was good but not worth the cover charge. We have never been that impressed with Tuscan or Murano to justify the extra cost. No interest in warm water lobster like they serve in Murano and the Murano rack of lamb we had last year on the Equinox was served in Luminae two days later and IMO was much better than the Murano rack.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1