The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday December 15th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Cat Herders Day, National Re-Gifting Day, and International Tea Day

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.--Rumi

Meal Suggestion for today - Pork Ragu Rigatoni
Drink of the Day - Red Stag Half Half
Wine of the Day - Osprey's Dominion 2014 Flight Meritage (North Fork of Long Island) Long Island
Destination of the Day - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 12/16

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 12/17

Nieuw Amsterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 12/16

Oosterdam

Port Stanley, East Falkland Island 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 23:00

Volendam

Sea Day Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas Eta 12/16

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 12/17

Zuiderdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Sydney, NSW Australia eta 12/17

Westerdam

Picton, New Zealand 8:00 AM To 5:00 PM

1215World.thumb.png.ce1c1e61f424f8c3b191b93f538151b3.png

1215Caribbean.thumb.png.42252b88cc5318801f96d580b8c5c19b.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

@rafinmdasked yesterday about my posting schedule. I shouldn't have any problem posting from the hotel the morning of the 22nd before I leave for Zuiderdam.

The site halfacts.com/daily includes the fleet locations as scheduled. If I find out about changes, either on a CC Thread or an email to me, I will try to update in advance. The maps are not included as they have to be done each day.

Thanks to everyone who has indicated that they will post while I am aboard Zuiderdam.

Rich

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Happy Thursday.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We've got a freezing rain warning this  morning.  Snow followed by freezing rain then more snow and possibly rain this afternoon.  A messy day and we're lucky to be able to stay home.

Love Cat Herders Day.  I've had days like that.   I don't think I have anything to re-gift.  I'm sipping a mug of English Breakfast tea right now.🙂

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, hope the drink and wine are good too.

We've been to Saint John but not on a cruise.  It was many years ago and we are planning a return trip.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

National re gifting Day!  The Misses just regifted me a $100 bill I gave her to gamble with last nite. The problem is the ink was still not dry on the bill 😳.

Looking forward to meeting StLouisCruiser at HMC tomorrow. Just let you know I will be snorkeling in a pair of overalls! 😀

• Like 12
  • Haha 16

Good morning and thanks for the daily report.  Good luck to all cat herders. Not a regifting fan but I will have a cuppa this afternoon.  Nice quote. I think the meal suggestion sounds very interesting and tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port but hope to in the future.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today! 🍻

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good, don’t know what’s on the menu for tonight.  I hope to visit today’s port twice next year.  We booked the Historic Coasts for May and July.  I just need to line up a cat sitter to be certain.  Herding cats in this this house is fairly simple, open a can of tuna or shake the Temptations box.  If only herding coworkers was that easy.

image.thumb.png.c754dc84f1935dc9d99b0be1df16e1e0.png

• Like 24
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@richwmnHope the Zuiderdam is in good shape now that she is finished her dry dock.  We have a cruise on her in May 2023, never been on her before.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I will be happy to be on Zuiderdam again. While I have been on all the current ships, I have been on Zuiderdam the most and have many happy memories.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Regifting isn't big for me, because I receive very few gifts to begin with. The Junior Cat, whom I don't try to herd (not worth the effort), doesn't even give me dead mice. I like tea in the sense of an English "afternoon tea," but don't drink much tea otherwise.

I don't know the wine, but Meritage is also produced here in the Finger Lakes. It's a trademark name that originated in California to denote a Bordeaux-style blend without infringing the Bordeaux appellation, chosen because most such blends can't be labeled as varietals, but growers trying to make, and charge for, fine wines didn't want to label them just "red" or "white." The Meritage Association gets a fee for every bottle, and specifies what grapes can be used.

"A red Meritage must be made from a blend of at least two of the following varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot, St. Macaire, Gros Verdot, or Carmenère, with no variety comprising more than 90 percent of the blend. A white Meritage must be made from a blend of at least two or more of the following varieties: Sauvignon blanc, Sémillon, or Muscadelle du Bordelais, with no variety comprising more than 90 percent of the blend."

I have been to Saint John, a long time ago after visiting former colleagues in Sackville, NB, and in 2018 on the Norwegian Gem.It was raining and my photos aren't great, but here's one taken in the market: haggis-flavored crisps (chips).

IMG_20181023_155042.thumb.jpg.5083f1b312486a9b7f358be2735394dc.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.    National Cat Herders day will be very popular here, and Re-gifting is probably good for the environment.  I mostly drink tea on ships but actually favor Crystal and Cunard tea times over those I've seen on a BHB.  I love the Rumi quote.  I have been to Saint John twice, once for disembarkation from the Grande Caribe and also in 2013 on MS Veendam when I met @kazu for tea at Tim Hortons.  The meal sounds good and I think I will hold my alternative for a day when I don't have a regular one.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Zachary Paris and Marvin Grube LODD, 12/7/22  Schuylkill County Pa. Internment 12/17
HALsailer DSIL with cancer and very weak
summer slope and DH in covid quarantine
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
StLouisCruisers DD recovering from foot surgery
From the rotation:
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement 12/19
*MissG* struggling with devastating family health situation
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

zd1215.thumb.JPG.4502067fb462e1bebd16af0
Zuiderdam in Everglades

7 days for richwmn {Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23)
1 day lindaler (Volendam 12/17 to 3/18/23)
1 day for Kazu (Koningsdam 12/17 to 1/7/23)(and safely in San Diego)
RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/17),  StLouisCruiser & Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17). SusieKIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/22) and Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for the Daily Report!  No ice or snow on the ground here, but I can change my plans if it shows up. No appointments until next Monday.  My x used to take great joy in regifting.  I was always embarrassed to know he was doing it. He would also buy stuff at garage sales at give it to people for Christmas. I always thought that was taking it a a step too far.  With 3 cats, sometimes I spend too much time herding them.  I used to drink a lot of tea, but not as much any more. 

• Like 27

Good morning from Willemstad Curacao. Waves crashing ashore makes me want to go back to sleep.

Last night's movie (Where the Crawdads Sing) was good. Allen and I cuddled under the blanket (HAL puts them out on the loungers) and had our popcorn and drinks. It's like a big drive in theater under the stars. Tonight's movie is a "Christmas Story" We may choose Jim David (Comedian)

We are here from 7 am til 10:30 tonite. We don't have anything planned on shore, so will take our time. 

Prayers lifted up. Sandi hoping DD is feeling better. Dixie hope your DH has a negative test.

Prince Charming has awakened, I'll catch up soon.

1214221749a.thumb.jpg.ac599b3f61dfa9a8ec292e0c722112b8.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon.

It is snowing here now at 12.10am.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

I think most of us have probably the gifted things that we did not want.

Cat herders do a great job.

Today's food sounds nice.

Good wishes for everyone on the care list.

Take care.

16711062752918709709357489363066.jpg

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Bindi and I were greeted by an Eastern sky alive with amazing colors. But the rain clouds quickly moved in and now it supposed to rain most of the day. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Mani pedi this morning. Boy decorating for the Holidays was hard on my nails, so I really need the manicure. Then Bindi walks and my HIIT class this evening.

A626DC7D-A206-4F46-9E90-ECDA5DBAACD2.jpeg.1d315e6d57f66daf6f0ff682f37a1ef0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! 

Get well & stay well everyone!

Osprey's Dominion 2014 Flight Meritage (North Fork of Long Island) 

Another Long Island wine! And this red blend sounds lovely! I would love to try it, if I can find it. Very elusive, but I found one online distributor offering it for $29.99.

93 Wine Enthusiast 

This blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot delivers tightly compact aromas of currant and plum flecked with thyme, graphite and moss. It's polished and poised on the medium-bodied palate, with graphite, herb and currant flavors vying for the spotlight. The intense coil of flavors, as well as the firm, lingering structure, indicate cellaring potential. Drink through 2030.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone.  I am still in limbo regarding medical clearance and hope to hear today about blood work that was not  good. Yesterday the cardiac issues were cleared by the doctor so I am hoping for the best.

DD and DSIL were cat herders yesterday when they had the windows replaced on their side of the house. The house was built over one hundred years ago and we are situated midway down a steep hill. The Hudson River is about a mile away and due to our location we get wicked wind all winter. It just swirls up from downtown to us and rattles the windows in the front of the house. Our turn is next year. We look forward to it.
We have been to the port and enjoyed our visit there.I will drink tea on occasion . The meal sounds interesting.

@Sharon in AZ, a very Happy Belated Anniversary wish to you both. I enjoyed your wedding picture,a very handsome couple!

@Seasick Sailor, I always enjoy seeing pictures of the two of you and your cruise sounds terrific. Continue to enjoy yourselves.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Sometimes when we cruise with family members, it feels like we're herding cats.  I've been known to re-gift, but haven't for a long time.  Right now I'm drinking my favourite Bigelow brand I Love Lemon tea; I was disappointed to see that the Oosterdam no longer had a selection of Bigelow teas on our trans-Atlantic.  Maybe on the Rotterdam in January?  Fingers crossed.

It's going to gradually get colder this next week; we're fortunate that we're not going to be directly hit by the major storm system sweeping through the midwest and spreading eastward.  I checked the forecast for next week when we'll be driving to Calgary and the high that day is expected to be -26C.  We'll be sure to have our emergency winter weather duffle bag packed in the car.  

Like many of you, I was happy to hear @kazumade it safely to San Diego.  I do hope she is able to get some rest now so she can enjoy her cruise.  

@marshhawkwhat a great idea putting mincemeat on top instead of the butter tart filling!  I'm going to try it with my next batch; DH is going to love it, as he really likes mincemeat.

@smitty34877sending prayers and good vibes that you will get clearance for your surgery.

I'm off to get my hair cut this morning, then we'll head out to get more food for Sochi, as there are only a couple of cans left.  DH has mentioned he'd like a burger, so will take a pass on today's menu suggestion and it looks like we'll be stopping by Five Guys for their cheeseburger and fries that we'll enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Ladies.jpg.6db17a52b7f6c4134a37b0c44499c5ec.jpg

Prayers for all who are are in need, cheers to all celebrations today!  Be safe, stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 23
  • Haha 9

Good morning, everyone!  

What a morning already.  Sister Sue reports ice is everywhere, but she still has to go into work.  I'll bet half her patients cancel.  We only got rain as far as I can tell.  No school closures in Midland, but up near Sue they are all closed.  At least she won't have to battle school buses on the way to work. 

I have engaged in regifting.  I had these two friends and we used to get together at Christmas.  I would cook dinner and we'd exchange gifts.  Generally what I got from them was stuff that I didn't know what to do with and had little or no use for.  So, I'd regift them at white elephant exchanges.  My friend John told me after the last one that he wasn't accepting any more gifts from me.  I explained that I had to regift so I could make room for all the junk they were going to give me that  year.  

I got my grocery shopping done and I have everything I will need for Christmas except vegetables.  I'll get those next week so they are fresher.  Today I am making pumpkin rolls.  They freeze well so I can keep them for Christmas.  

Today's meal is a great one.  This first recipe calls for apple and fennel and I suspect the flavor is wonderful.   https://www.simplywhisked.com/rigatoni-with-pork-ragu/

698783116_porkragurigatoni1.thumb.jpg.d629fb48d950ea386c34a900e1b1c9c5.jpg

This next one leaves out the apples but includes fresh ricotta.  Smooth and creamy!   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/rigatoni-pork-ragu-and-fresh-ricotta

125944296_porkragurigatoni2.thumb.jpg.afe689ae786718f463384d3934834083.jpg

This next one is for those who like to fuss.  Tony Mantuano starts with pork ribs following a family recipe.  Ok, that means it has to be good!  https://www.foodnetwork.com/fnk/recipes/rigatoni-with-pork-rag-7151624

715391539_porkragurigatoni3.jpeg.7bbaa233f115efb1174b90bc34045e02.jpeg

One last one that adds in some Italian sausage.  Mmmmm   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/rigatoni-with-spicy-calabrese-style-pork-ragu-51143440

625816919_porkragurigatoni4.jpg.6392f4466856907cafd4fba135a912f2.jpg

The only question left is how do I choose?  Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Happy Thursday Morning Dailyites!  Its 46 and cloudy, that is what the computer says, so lets move the curtain....

30 minutes later, (cats said I had to feed them)  (and make breakfast)  well it is cloudy and cool.

There is a rumor of sun later today, but colder.

I have no idea what DH and I will do for the Holiday.  We have been going out for Chinese food on Christmas,  for the last three years, this year everyone wants to go do something else, like go to a movie (nope) in laws, (nope) I am not inspired to cook a huge meal.  Spend all day eating...nope

Maybe my wish will come true, and we will have snow on Christmas......

I would like to go to the port of the day, the meal sounds good, and the quote sounds like an AA 4th step, but true.  Have a wonderful day!

df20021001.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 8