LIVE from the Koningsdam Holiday Sailing - Dec. 17th - Jan 7th - exploring my first Pinnacle Class ship 🤞

kazu

11 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I just got on the ship and I am on for a week. Rooms were not ready when I got on the ship at 11:40am. I entered an elevator with a group of passengers and we were told we had to go to the Lido to eat lunch. So, I did. Rooms were ready at 12:15. Not a big deal but I thought I would mention it.

Heard that - pretty much the same as last week when I boarded.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well, I was told I could order it in CO.  I said no, not necessary and he said Club Orange already knows you can have it.  

Thank you for the factual review of Rudi’s.  I would have been extremely disappointed if I had paid for the meal you were served.  Seems like  the bread and dessert were the only two courses that met the high standards I expect.  I hope you order the Dover sole in Club Orange and it is as delicious as you remember.

Sorry you had to get off the ship and wait so long for customs.  Hope the process is better on your next turn around.  When we departed the Zuiderdam in February after our Panama Canal cruise , we went through customs on the ship.

I look forward to seeing pictures of the tree lighting.  I saw this unique tree made from sand in West Palm Beach last weekend.31A6B4D4-67FE-4BE3-AE4A-0ABCBAC67FFC.jpeg.8ca7f1ceab0aff90ae37a45a8154425a.jpeg

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Thank you for the factual review of Rudi’s.  I would have been extremely disappointed if I had paid for the meal you were served.  Seems like  the bread and dessert were the only two courses that met the high standards I expect.  I hope you order the Dover sole in Club Orange and it is as delicious as you remember.

A lot of people were raving about their meals so I think I just made the wrong choices or I have a discerning taste 😉. I have done Rudi’s in pop up format and they were all fabulous so I think my choices were in error or I don’t like things really well done.

I am not a dessert person by nature but it was really delish 🙂 

Sorry you had to get off the ship and wait so long for customs.  Hope the process is better on your next turn around.  When we departed the Zuiderdam in February after our Panama Canal cruise , we went through customs on the ship.

That’s the civilized way to do it and what we had often done.

I look forward to seeing pictures of the tree lighting.  I saw this unique tree made from sand in West Palm Beach last weekend.31A6B4D4-67FE-4BE3-AE4A-0ABCBAC67FFC.jpeg.8ca7f1ceab0aff90ae37a45a8154425a.jpeg

How cute!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Here is tonight’s MDR menu (lunch menu is the same ol’ same ol’)

7E882980-8B2B-4766-88D6-648DD0F804BF.thumb.png.d4e7f326a227a64563336f9c00e31821.png

68922F96-08EB-4842-9303-B709310A21EC.thumb.png.e8dda28d3ea9e018c1e3edc57f00ad0d.png

6D5241B8-09E2-4368-9676-E763510C9C98.thumb.png.3467c49e69801fac25d76ed66dcbfdac.png

Several new entrees.  I would try the eggplant entree, bucatini caponata.  Looks like the everyday steak is replaced by lasagna?  Are you at an assigned table upstairs?  We like the assigned table, later seating, and often get a table for 4 so we can ask friends to dine with us or be by ourselves.  The later seating is more relaxed and the servers more accomodating.  Often, a dining room manager/Maitre'd checks on us as well.

• Like 2

I have been on two B2B Mexican Riviera trips from San Diego and both times the Immigration inspectors came on the ship and checked our passports in one of the small rooms on turn around day. It was great except for this night owl having to meet at 6:30 am was painful!! Luckily, I did get to go back for a nap after breakfast!

I would love to go on one of the longer cruises that go to La Paz, etc. so I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences there.   

~Nancy

• Like 5

Just found this thread (been busy with little grandkids).  So happy to follow along with you @kazu  

I have really enjoyed the Koningsdam in the past (been on her over 40 days).  Was worried the first time that I’d find the ship too big but loved it. 

Enjoy your cruise(s)!  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Are you at an assigned table upstairs?  We like the assigned table, later seating, and often get a table for 4 so we can ask friends to dine with us or be by ourselves.  The later seating is more relaxed and the servers more accomodating.  Often, a dining room manager/Maitre'd checks on us as well.

DH and I normally did an assigned table as well.

But this time, I’m not in the MDR.  I’m in Club Orange.  Was chatting with a lovely couple last night and Aris asked me if I’d like to join them.  I told him I didn’t want to impose and he went and asked them if they would like me at their table and we had a lovely meal together.  I’ve been invited to join them any time I see them there.  😃 

My friends arrived yesterday and found me right away - they knew where to look 😉 

The tried to get into CO before coming but had no luck - at full capacity.

their Christmas arrangement arrived in their cabin (I had ordered it as I was afraid I wouldn’t make it here).  Jane showed it off to me and I have to say, I was quite pleased with it.

A957C76C-E65E-4628-9616-F73F78CC951F.thumb.jpeg.dedc909e929c5c388c27ac857b34c3dc.jpeg

• Like 25

Wowzers! I'm seriously late the the party. I just spotted Kazu's live from when I was looking at the itinerary for the Nieuw Amsterdam today.

Thanks for taking us with you, Jacqui!  I guess I have my reading assignment for Christmas weekend.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

On 12/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, XBGuy said:

This is where the sea lions hang out sunning themselves,

B42FB090791-R.jpg.b9f549a4df6d37eb39403685da9347ac.jpg

After docking you should be able to walk to the end of your ship and get lots of pictures.

When you are leaving San Diego, look on the starboard side....you should see LOTS of them!  Or, if you miss them, again on the starboard side they hang out on the green buoy just as you get out into the ocean.

L.

96.1.jpg

sea lions.jpg

• Like 11

On 12/21/2022 at 11:33 AM, shipfriend_max said:

@kazu are the little fingerfood snacks at Billboard Lunge still offered at the little buffet? And some sailaway snacks on embarkation day during sailaway and snacks to drinks at the bars? Is there any tea time served? Because I do not see it in the daily programs, even not on days at sea.

I think this is what you were talking about?  I saw them in Billboard during Happy Hour in March of 2022....The trays were in the back corner.

L.

P_20190110_161740_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190110_161939_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MereBooty said:

A sea day and I don’t see afternoon tea on the schedule? Am I missing it? I will be very disappointed if there is no tea service when I board next month. 

It is 3pm in the MDR every sea day. Sometimes it is listed in the Daily What And Where and other times not. But is is held every sea day. At least on the Koningsdam.

• Like 1

Jacqui - been following along and it looks like things are going well...maybe even better than expected.  I'm so happy you had the courage to do this trip and I know how hard that was for you.  To say I am proud is an understatement!!

Love ya,

Helen

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woodworker&knitter said:

Jacqui, What are the dinner specials at CO? I loved the dinner items on our Oct cruise on the Rotterdam 

I have been listing them each day - other than yesterday.  Yesterday was a repeat of Peruvian chicken (good again).  Can’t remember them all now but there has been a veal chop (very good ), Short ribs (can’t comment - went to Sel de Mer).

• Like 5

There are about 100 fewer passengers than last week - still a very full ship.  However, so far, things don’t seem as rambunctious as the previous sailing.

I also don’t see the lineup for the MDR (yet) like I did last segment.

I am guessing that a lot of people on last segment were new cruisers and with only 5 days trying to pack everything in they could?

Sailing away from San Diego last night:

6B34C6F0-D8A2-43F0-9D6C-49C35A666DD4.thumb.jpeg.df11d189ccb001bf1d8f9ae58e679a65.jpeg

B0EC4263-1271-41A9-A0DF-96C33C03137D.thumb.jpeg.07e0a03a42a63ee3394e04cdd2747271.jpeg

E5DF301E-8D13-420A-BA2B-CFB3731D7061.thumb.jpeg.d0211ec0bf9c9419747adc4fbc512638.jpeg

00CE5081-B9CF-4FDD-ADC8-E2B583B995CD.thumb.jpeg.de11b66298a995ccb70e034dc6ed29d1.jpeg

CA8C5DED-4D22-4CB7-8DA8-9AC3BF727A78.thumb.jpeg.9b1075f13d348b4f711892080e9fadb5.jpeg

16999CAD-391D-4606-B44C-58B408208CBB.thumb.jpeg.05907aa3c029611b6997fa1a4d9ebe69.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Hi Jacqui! So glad you’re having a good time and your friends are onboard with you to celebrate the holidays! Thanks for the pictures and really like the Seagull pic especially! Jacqui I thought I read somewhere that VeriFLY is no longer used at San Diego. Did you have to use it?

Thanks

🌺Denise🙂

• Like 6