Good duration for massage? - never had one before

industrious95

As the title says, what's a good duration for a massage?  I've had one massage in the past 60 years and don't have the slightest recollection how long it was.  I do remember enjoying it, but I don't know, lying on a table for 100 minutes?  That seems like a long time.

Going to be on BEYOND in March, if that makes a difference

Any thoughts out there?

Edited by industrious95
add details to question

I think 60 minutes is good.  30 is too short and 100 is too long, especially if you have never had one or haven't in a long time, you may not like it.

Also, massages are so much cheaper at land based spas so unless it's something you really enjoy or have OBC you want to spend, it may not be worth it. 

And, there are different kinds of massages, some are heavier pressure than others, or use hot stones or brushes etc, so think about what you want when you book it. 

Agree with 60 minutes. And let's face it, not all masseuses are created equal. I've had some excellent massages on  board. But I've had a few bad ones, too. The last one I had actually left me with a couple of bruises! - and it wasn't supposed to be a deep tissue massage!

Do NOT  get a "deep tissue" massage, since you are unaccustomed to massages in general. Those will really pound you. Opt for the "Swedish massage". I'd be happy with 60 minutes, but basic massages on board are usually 50 minutes. And that is plenty for you. 

I think the 'right' amount of time is just enough so you feel better, but not long enough such that you're overly relaxed and end up remortgaging your house to buy all the junk they try and sell you at the end of it! 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, OysterD said:

I think the 'right' amount of time is just enough so you feel better, but not long enough such that you're overly relaxed and end up remortgaging your house to buy all the junk they try and sell you at the end of it! 

buy all the junk they try and sell you at the end of it! On my recent Edge cruise, I had a haircut, a facial and I HAD a massage booked and had a consultation with the "Doctor" to discuss Botox.  Now I did use OBC for the haircut and facial and 18% of that included gratuity.  I specifically asked if the stylist and technician received the included gratuity, do you think I could get a straight/honest answer?  It's a redundant question...because of their waffling and multiple explanations I did not tip additional for either service and I cancelled the massage and did not follow-up on the Botox consultation.  When I tell you the follow-up harassment via messages (6 in two days) left in my room, every time I walked by the spa after, I had no choice as I took the stairs from my room on the 15th floor down to Luminae everyday, certainly speaks to the profit to be made in the spa.  Anyway, I finally talked to my butler and asked him to PLEASE make it stop...it did thanks to him but suffice to say I'd never use a spa service on a cruise again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 39august said:

I tell them at the beginning that I am not interested in buying any product. Never had a hard sell then. 

As do I.  Never had a hard sell after that, but have had a continuing soft sell, which I immediately shut down.

Also, the gratuity is included in the total charge; so anything in addition is not required - just up to you.

They often offer 5 minute taster massages so you can get a mini taste of style of Massage staff.

My biggest disappointment was a 90 minute massage on Disney 12 years ago when I requested a staff person who could give a really intense deep tissue massage. The lady assured me she herself could do it but she was lying. I kept waiting for the massage to start. I should have asked the recommendation of Spa Manager.

Didn't book another Spa service until last year. I tried a taster 5 minute massage and then booked with that lady. My massage experiences were so incredibly much better than i booked 8 treatments in 2 weeks of cruising, 3 with her and 5 with another staffer who combined Theragun massager with directed stretches. Fantastic!

I had a wonderful doctor onboard Apex for a heat stimulating procedure to help with collagen production. It was not relaxing at all, as there are areas of the face with very little collagen, but great for my skin.  She was absolutely excellent!  Also, did a fire and ice manicure that was awesome!  Yes, it all depends on who you get, not to mention the amount of OBC you have.  My 75 minute massage with hot stones and varraying degrees of pressure was top notch too, but I was so relaxed that a nap was needed.  

Edited by Lastdance

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend the hot stone massage.  I don't think I could ever have a massage that was too long, only too short!  Priscilla and I always have a couple's hot stone massage at the beginning of the cruise and one at the end.  As for as the hard sell at the end, we just tell the Spa Manager we don't want one and we've never had a problem.

Elvis    

• Like 1

Length really is a matter of personal preference.  I actually prefer longer ones, but I must say that a 50-minute Swedish is lovely.  I'd start there--hard to go wrong.  The hot stone and bamboo massages also are very nice.  

It is expensive, but the therapists are excellent.  It's also mighty nice to just walk over from whatever relaxing thing you were doing to go get a massage and then walk out of the spa to whatever next relaxing thing you are going to do.  I find that worth the premium.  In fact, it's rare that I don't get a massage while cruising.

The only time I have not fully enjoyed a massage on a cruise was on the now scrapped Empress of the Seas, and the only reason I did not fully enjoy it was because my treatment room was immediately adjacent to the very noisy pool area (it even had a dadgum window to the pool area).  It still was nice, and they took care of me because of that noise.

God, I just can't relax during a massage on a cruise ship.

That's because of th PRICES.

We lived in Thailand and good massage treatments are cheap as chips, compared to even the most basic treatment on cruises.

AND the constant trying to sell you stuff and ridiculous amount of tips on top of steep prices. 

I mean, what what kind of PRODUCT could you possibly need after a massage? A pile of "healing stones" or "essential " oils? (I made it past 50 WITHOUT such oils, so they can't be THAT essential 😉).

And pushing for more services,? Skin treatments, radiation, INVASIVE procedures, peelings....?

Meh. I stay well clear of the area 

That said, I had one of my BEST EVER hair cuts and shave on a Celebrity ship a few years ago.

I asked my wife if we could adopt the stylist and take her home.

• Like 2

In my experience, the quality of the therapist is more important than the length of the service. I do get monthly massages at home, with a therapist I have had for over 15 years, and any amount of time with her is a great experience and no amount of time is too short or long! I just always feel great after I have a massage with her.

On a ship it's a crapshoot because you can get a therapist that doesn't fit well with you. I have had fairly good luck by being clear upfront about what I prefer/need, in terms of pressure, areas that need more attention (always my neck), etc.  Sometimes I will book a short service early in the cruise to see how it goes, and then come back for a longer service if that therapist works for me. 

Just for the record, it's been more years (and cruises) than I can remember since I got a hard sell on items.  They always tell me what products they've used, and they sometimes recommend it expressly, but a simple "no, thank you" always ends any pitch.  Many of the therapists have just written down some fancy card what they used.

While I do enjoy some Elemis products, I just buy them once I'm back home, often at around half the price.

Basic Swedish  on X  is usually 50 min.. grat  is added into pricing.  You can say you are not interested in products.

There are also  special combos of massage and facial..just had that on BEYOND. Also enjoyed the Kerastase treatment.  ( E Class)

I prefer the sep masage early on  and the  facial  and hair conditiong towards  the end of the cruise..

You can look at your cruise planner for pre booking and port special discounts,

DH and I really enjoyed the Swedish massage with hot stones, 75 minutes. I would not have wanted to be finished after 50 minutes. Good luck avoiding the sales pitch. The Elemis products are very good, but you can get most of them on Amazon. 

I like to book a 75-minute massage on a cruise. The extra time is a treat compared with a 50-minute massage, and relatively speaking, the price for 75 minutes is often a better value than the price for 50 minutes. (Emphasis on relatively speaking. Spa prices are high on the ship, just as they are in resort spas on land --- but unlike resort spas on land, Celebrity's spas don't include use of the thermal suite with a service.) 

I agree with others that a 50-minute Swedish massage would be a great choice for someone who's new to massage. If you want to splurge a little more, 75 minutes is even better. Longer than that is likely more massage than you need and more money than you need to spend.

22 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

I would consider trying a massage at a local spa to make sure you like it - for me 80" is barely long enough but DH hated his.

Agreed.  A ship is not where I would try a massage.  My daughters in law bought me a spa day in a local facility and I loved the facial, manicure and pedicure but hated the massage.  I don't know if it was the fault of the operator, but it felt really invasive.. My health plan covers massages by a registered practitioner, but I have never wanted one again.