Upcoming Change - No Longer can just 1 passenger purchase a beverage package.

jelayne

20 hours ago, Retired888 said:

This is an interesting new policy.  With the meds that we are both on, we are not supposed to drink alcohol.  However, my husband ignores the restrictions and drinks.  On the other hand, I don't even like alcohol so it is an easy one to refrain from.  It is quite ridiculous that the other passenger must also purchase an alcoholic package unless the person has medical or recovering alcoholic restrictions.  In my case, even if I am not on medical restrictions, I have no interest in drinking alcohol.

Totally agree; I can see the cruise line being sued on this policy as many refrain from alcohol by choice. 

19 hours ago, miched said:

Was this on a European cruise?   Celebrity included the gratuity in the cost as that is the custom in Europe.   European don’t add a gratuity to the bill as it is included in cost.

This hasn't happened yet, I was just quoting from the FAQs on Celebrity's website. The change goes live on 19th December for making a booking and affects sailings in early January, start date varies slightly by ship.

I fully expect that for European cruises the limits will be higher to include the gratuity as is Celebrity's current practice, I'd expect them to be $12 and $20.

Andy.

17 minutes ago, IDL said:

Totally agree; I can see the cruise line being sued on this policy as many refrain from alcohol by choice. 

That’s crazy talk to me…people are are aware of policies..they choose to abide by them. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

That’s crazy talk to me…people are are aware of policies..they choose to abide by them. 

Nothing crazy about questioning a policy that can be interpreted as discriminatory to those that choose not to drink alcohol. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IDL said:

Nothing crazy about questioning a policy that can be interpreted as discriminatory to those that choose not to drink alcohol. 

Who makes the other passenger buy a package?  They choose to. That creates the dilemma. 

21 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have not done the math, but if only one person in the suite drinks, perhaps more cost effective for that one person to buy the drink as you go plan.

38 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I have not done the math, but if only one person in the suite drinks, perhaps more cost effective for that one person to buy the drink as you go plan.

This is what I do on every line I sail where there isn't an AI fare that makes financial sense.  My husband doesn't drink.  He also rarely drinks anything that isn't already included (he is very happy with tap water).  

When I consider cruise fares and/or beverage package prices, I always have to think about whether I will drink enough for two.  So buying a drink package when we both have to have it has never made financial sense.  Buying AI often has made sense in the past since we want the wifi and will pay the gratuities but that gap between cruise only and AI is growing on Celebrity (and other lines) such that it won't always make sense anymore, especially now that we just got to elite and will have some loyalty drink benefits.

A option is to book Cruise Only fare then the person who want a alcohol package can purchase one with the non drinker purchasing a Zero Proof package.  
Although one would need to do the math as the pricing with AI could be less. In that case go AI and the non drinker is not required to drink any with alcohol, they can use the Classic package for coffees, teas, bottled water, juices, soda and mocktails.

Edited by jelayne
Typo

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

A option is to book Cruise Only fare then the person who want a alcohol package can purchase one with the non drinker purchasing a Zero Proof package.  

But the non drinker would need to claim to be a teenager, pregnant, or a recovering alcoholic, or have a medical reason, no?

What would happen in the case of a Zenith Captains Club Member (who gets complimentary premium  beverage package as a Zenith perk) traveling in a cabin with non-Zenith Captains Club Member.  The non-Zenith passenger always used to purchase a beverage package.  Does this mean that the Zenith member ALSO needs to purchase a beverage package now (even though he/she already has a complimentary beverage package)??  Just crazy.

1 minute ago, jcpc said:

What would happen in the case of a Zenith Captains Club Member (who gets complimentary premium  beverage package as a Zenith perk) traveling in a cabin with non-Zenith Captains Club Member.  The non-Zenith passenger always used to purchase a beverage package.  Does this mean that the Zenith member ALSO needs to purchase a beverage package now (even though he/she already has a complimentary beverage package)??  Just crazy.

The point of the policy is everyone in a cabin of legal age must have a beverage package.  The Zenith passenger has a package and the non-Zenith would have to purchase a package if of legal age.  

19 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The point of the policy is everyone in a cabin of legal age must have a beverage package.  The Zenith passenger has a package and the non-Zenith would have to purchase a package if of legal age.  

I'm not quite sure the policy, as written, clearly states this.  Under the "Exceptions" paragraph there is no mention of "traveling with a cabin-mate who has a complimentary beverage package".  Oh well.....time will tell.

Edited by jcpc

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

I'm not quite sure the policy, as written, clearly states this.  Under the "Exceptions" paragraph there is no mention of "traveling with a cabin-mate who has a complimentary beverage package".  Oh well.....time will tell.

That's what the zenith concierge handles.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

It is not true that everyone in a cabin of legal age "must" have a beverage package.  They both do not need to purchase a package.  However, if one buys, then the rest of the cabin mate(s) must also have beverage package(s).

On 12/17/2022 at 4:06 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Wonder if that has to do with the spiraling inflation cost of all products including alcohol.

I also noticed while onboard that the size of the pastry in OV, Al Bacio have been downsized.

We tried both the blueberry and carrot muffins last week on the Solstice. Both were not only smaller but they had zero taste. I counted one blueberry in the entire muffin. Add to that the smaller martini glasses. Even at the martini bar it was a mixed bag on glass sizes. Disappointing but I guess this is their answer to controlling rising costs. 

42 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

We tried both the blueberry and carrot muffins last week on the Solstice. Both were not only smaller but they had zero taste. I counted one blueberry in the entire muffin. Add to that the smaller martini glasses. Even at the martini bar it was a mixed bag on glass sizes. Disappointing but I guess this is their answer to controlling rising costs. 

Not sure how making smaller martini glasses results in cost control.  Paz can simply order a 2nd or 3rd 'smaller" glass to make up for the size reduction.

• Like 1