Travel Medical Insurance

theavonb

I keep an American Express card and use that for travel specifically because they provide such good travel insurance. We don't travel for more than 30 days at a time so that's moot.

My mother - who is decades over 65 - gets travel insurance through the retired teacher's association here in Alberta. She has twice had to delay trips home and have medical care in the U.S. and everything was covered without any issues. Might be worth checking into this is you're a member of a union or employee association. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 5:21 PM, Fred&Lily said:

If you are reasonably healthy and take no medications then consider travel with no insurance at all. From most of the USA or Caribbean you can call up a NetJet or FlexJet or AirSprint and they'll come and get you within about 2 hours. For 10 grand or less you can be back in Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal before the end of the day. 

Here is another Pro-Tip:  Go to Emergency at the best hospital, take no ID whatsoever and just play dumb.  Medicare pays the whole bill if you are an undocumented alien. A hockey buddy told me it worked for him in Texas and another friend walked away from a US $20,000 bill or an overnight stay in a Florida hospital. The debt collectors can't touch you in Canada for medical bills.

Gosh - I don't know where to start.

Most of the better hospitals in the U.S. will not accept uninsured patients. They will tell the ambulance to get out of the bay and take you somewhere else. And you may not want to be cared for where they take you. 

Is NetJet going to accept a sick/dying patient? There's liability involved there and my suspicion is that they wouldn't accept a patient without a waiver from a doctor and possibly a medical professional travelling with the patient. Could be wrong but I'd investigate this before counting on it.

And I wouldn't walk out of a hospital or medical facility in a foreign country knowing that I wasn't going to pay. Not really a kind thing to do, is it? 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, Fred&Lily said:

From most of the USA or Caribbean you can call up a NetJet or FlexJet or AirSprint and they'll come and get you within about 2 hours. For 10 grand or less you can be back in Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal before the end of the day. 

Aside from being unethical, from personal experience, you must be medically fit and released by a physician before you can fly back to Canada.  Depending on how serious your condition is, you may need to be accompanied by medical personnel.  If there is no bed available at home, and this is a BIG issue these days, you can't return to Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Senga said:

Aside from being unethical, from personal experience, you must be medically fit and released by a physician before you can fly back to Canada.  Depending on how serious your condition is, you may need to be accompanied by medical personnel.  If there is no bed available at home, and this is a BIG issue these days, you can't return to Canada.

I believe that it is the insurance company that makes the decision to move you back to Canada and they do it because it is cheaper to do so than pay for your care in a foreign country.  You may be on a stretcher in a hallway, but you will come home to Canada.  Don't think this is your choice in the end.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I believe that it is the insurance company that makes the decision to move you back to Canada and they do it because it is cheaper to do so than pay for your care in a foreign country.  You may be on a stretcher in a hallway, but you will come home to Canada.  Don't think this is your choice in the end.

While I agree that the insurance company’s preference is to get you home as quickly as possible, if you require active care (in ICU for example), they can’t just dump you in a hallway. They need a hospital to ACCEPT the transfer. 

• Thanks 1

My original post was glib and I wasn't thinking about anything requiring immediate surgery or going into an ICU.  My experience was just a severe feeling of illness. I flew very quickly back to YYZ and went straight to my doctor. The diagnosis was viral meningitis which without any insurance would have cost me a small out of pocket fortune.  

So what I was saying is if you have to get home really quickly call up a charter business jet which is much much less than a medivac trip with EMS and /or nurse aboard.

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

While I agree that the insurance company’s preference is to get you home as quickly as possible, if you require active care (in ICU for example), they can’t just dump you in a hallway. They need a hospital to ACCEPT the transfer. 

With all due respect, I was not suggesting that if you are in ICU that an insurance company is going to ship you home - that does not make sense.  I am talking about a personal experience of a friend of mine that fell on Christmas Eve, broke her shoulder and arm in several places.  She stayed two nights in a Florida hospital, was bound tightly and shipped home on an Air Canada flight in coach to have the surgeries in Canada.  She was on a stretcher in the hallway for days.  She had a choice to stay in the US, but the insurance would not cover her costs.  She was not life threateningly critical, but I will tell you the trip home was extremely painful and uncomfortable for her.

My only point was that it is not your choice to stay or go - it is that of the insurance company.  Yes, there will be acceptance and all of that in the background.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 8:14 PM, theavonb said:

Would like to know what people are using for emergency medical insurance. We have always used Medipac but now they won’t insure my hubby because he is on insulin and takes a heart pill for his pacemaker. He has been stable for two years now so it’s a bit ridiculous. 
Thank you

I use GOOSE....very reasonable....I have AFIB...so I am on 2 meds, one for heart rate and the other is a blood thinner....My sister pays $150.00 a YEAR for unlimited trips up to 18 days each....That's awesome...unfortunately because of my heart condition and meds....I paid $650.00 for unlimited trips up to 18....I've used 3 already for cruises ...will hit Texas to visit my son and family ...but unfortunately my year is up 5 weeks before my next cruise...so I will be renewing....of course you don't have to do the yearly unlimited...you can just do individual trips

8 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

I use GOOSE....very reasonable....I have AFIB...so I am on 2 meds, one for heart rate and the other is a blood thinner....My sister pays $150.00 a YEAR for unlimited trips up to 18 days each....That's awesome...unfortunately because of my heart condition and meds....I paid $650.00 for unlimited trips up to 18....I've used 3 already for cruises ...will hit Texas to visit my son and family ...but unfortunately my year is up 5 weeks before my next cruise...so I will be renewing....of course you don't have to do the yearly unlimited...you can just do individual trips

We are from Ontario Canada, never heard of GOOSE? Will check it out though, thanks.

44 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

Looking at the Goose policy language now.  Be very careful as the pre-existing condition language of this policy is very specific, and if you are not 100% stable for the 6 months prior to travel, you will be in danger of losing coverage.  Also, if you have a test or procedure that you are on a wait list for before you travel and the medical emergency is related to that pending test or procedure, you may not be covered.  Very specific and very confusing.

I will say that this policy language is clear and complete - much more so than other insurers.  Many other insurers are vague which makes it more confusing.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

Re your AFIB, this is fine, but 180 days stable will also mean that if your medication is adjusted in that 180 days before going, you would not be considered "stable" and if AFIB was the reason for your medical emergency you may not be covered.  Stability in most policies include adjustment to medication - up, down, or stoppage of a med.   I am just suggesting that because you are approved with a pre-existing condition that you are 100% covered.  Always remember insurance policies are written to not pay out after they confuse the heck out of you with their language.

19 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

My Mum was in a Daytona Beach hospital for 3 weeks after taking ill on vacation in November 2006.  We wanted to fly her home but not one hospital in all of Ontario would accept her.  The insurance company, her family physician and our family physician tried without success.  She died in the Florida hospital.

I have researched in depth travel medical and cancel interruption insurance for Canadians, and never come across Goose before.

That in no way means that Goose is not a reputable company, however, we have a good friend that is an insurance broker who insists that it is about payment of claims.  Her intelligence is that Manulife have the best claim payment time in Canada.  We asked her about Goose and she has never heard of them.

Insurance is expensive and you want it to pay out and pay out quickly if you need it.

My feeling is that if the big guys like Manulife, RBC, TD, etc don't offer the coverage at a reasonable price, then you should ask a lot of questions.

Goose's policy language is very specific about pre-existing conditions - which is good - but you have to understand every letter, word, and line of that language before paying for it.  This language is difficult to understand purposely and worded - in my opinion - to make you misunderstand.  Be cautious if you have a pre existing condition.

Edited by CDNPolar
add comment
  • Thanks 1

I do not need medical coverage but have always purchased coverage from Princess for "cancel for any reason". I am planning a cruise with Celebrity but believe their "cancel for any reason" is only available for Americans. Does anyone know if "cancel for any reason" is available somewhere.

2 hours ago, smithmlmx said:

I do not need medical coverage but have always purchased coverage from Princess for "cancel for any reason". I am planning a cruise with Celebrity but believe their "cancel for any reason" is only available for Americans. Does anyone know if "cancel for any reason" is available somewhere.

IIRC, Manulife offers a CFAR option, and I would imagine there are other insurers that do as well. Manulife covers up to 80% with their CFAR coverage, not as good as Princess's 100%, but better than nothing. I don't know whether it is available independent of medical coverage.

https://www.igoinsured.com/Direct/ManulifeGlobal.aspx?ag=Kefitrv&lang=E

If you do come across insurers who offer CFAR to Canadians, please report back with your findings. As Quebecers, we are denied Princess's excellent CFAR coverage, which we used to buy for every trip in the days before they stopped selling it here.

2 hours ago, Cthy651 said:

My husband 79, and me 69 - have a few ailments between the two of us, yes the golden years indeed.

We got our insurance thru Snowbird Travel Insurance  - give it a try.

When I google Snowbird Travel Insurance a few options can up.  Would you mind providing a link?  I am currently researching options for us...DH turns 65 soon and the current insurance we have through our credit card drastically reduces what is covered at age 65.  TIA 🙂

On 12/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, CDNPolar said:

Re your AFIB, this is fine, but 180 days stable will also mean that if your medication is adjusted in that 180 days before going, you would not be considered "stable" and if AFIB was the reason for your medical emergency you may not be covered.  Stability in most policies include adjustment to medication - up, down, or stoppage of a med.   I am just suggesting that because you are approved with a pre-existing condition that you are 100% covered.  Always remember insurance policies are written to not pay out after they confuse the heck out of you with their language.

I understand what you are saying.  It does say any medical condone is considered "unusable" if there have been any changes in the condition or medication in the 180 prior to departure....so....Goose also offers "unstable pre-existing conditions" coverage, I check off and pay additional for.....

OK - found the thread. Here it is:

Hi. I was attempting to answer the question a few Canadian seniors had about travel medical insurance, but I was unable to find the thread.  Therefore, I am starting a new one.  I had already bought the trip insurance for my upcoming cruise in May, 2023, but I don't feel it's enough coverage for my comfort. So I looked up a few different sites and finally bought additional medical insurance which will insure you in spite of pre-existing conditions, of which I have a few.  After answering all their medical questions (and answer them truthfully, because they WILL find out if you lied or omitted information should you ever actually need to file a claim with them), I bought a policy.  The link is as follows: www.snowbirdadvisorinsurance.ca.  It ended up costing me $114.48 CA, which is truly affordable, but I opted for the medical insurance only, since the cancellation and baggage components are already covered by the insurance I bought directly from NCL. If you want all the bells and whistles it will cost you a little more.  Hope that helps! 🐬🌏

• Like 1

I use Medipac. In 2022 new medical issues arose that are considered pre-existing conditions and not stable. Also have ICD and take heart meds. I provided them with 100 pages of hospital records from my stay, medications,  test results, you name it. I had regular conversations with their doctor who was reviewing my medical files and he suggested follow up questions I had to have with my cardiologist . After 2 months I was approved for one trip in Dec 2022. Now I’m awaiting another application approval for a cruise in a few weeks. thankfully I have no medical appointments, change in condition or change in prescriptions. If any of those had changed I wouldn’t be feeling very confident. 

The great thing about Medipac is that I am covered for my heart condition versus many of the other companies who would cover me but not my condition. 

• Like 1