Captains Club Happy Hour Day 1 - yes, no?

LMaxwell

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Is THIS good enough for you? From the 10/26 sailing of the Beyond, so on a RECENT sailing of the FLAGSHIP.🙄

Perfectly clear.  I think, like a lot of things with X, the policy has changed over time, again.  It really wasn't that long ago that the HH stuff was only in the Sky lounge.  That started getting really crowded which is one reason they changed it right?  

5 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

It doesn't say anything about the restaurants at all.

I certainly didn't twist anyones arm to serve us in the MDR if that's what you are asking. We had drinks when we walked in, the servers asked if we wanted replenishment, we told them they were CC HH drinks and they said no problem; had drinks waiting for us at table each evening after that. Yes, that IS great service.   

I'm not sure I can agree with you though that CC HH is not applicable to restaurants, at least not based on the information you posted. If you find some other documentation that specifically states that please post it and I'll save in my current file of policies for each cruise line.  I maintain folder of up to date policies as we cruise several lines and these things are always changing 

Did you receive the Captains Club instruction sheet in your stateroom?  Did you keep it for your files?   What did it say about happy hour drinks being ordered in a restaurant?

2 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Did you receive the Captains Club instruction sheet in your stateroom?  Did you keep it for your files?   What did it say about happy hour drinks being ordered in a restaurant?

I don't keep paper copies; I keep PDF's from the internet in files on my desktop. Whenever an RSS scrubber detects a change/update to a website, I get notified and download the newer content.  Delete outdated when new version available. Try to do as much things as paperless / not printing as possible. No need to waste paper or ink or the space, digital is so much easier and faster. 

Edited by LMaxwell

2 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Interesting but that didn’t answer the question. Did you receive the Captains Club instructions in your stateroom? A form like tge one in post #22.

I honestly don't recall; last Celeb cruise was 6 months ago and have been on 2 more cruises on other lines + other personal travel and business trips since. 

I sense your question is not formed with good intent but rather setting me up for a cheap shot. Please continue on and don't pollute my thread if that is your intent. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 4:52 PM, kathynorth said:

Still no happy hour on day 1.

I returned from a 10 day cruise on Equinox October 6th and no HH on day 1.  Not a big deal as I had plenty to drink in my cabin.  I did not take out a drinks package for that cruise. 

21 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I had no problem ordering CC HH drinks in the dining room recently; I didn't know it was excluded<?>, but that no Day 1 rule is absurd since it's not in Michael's Club anymore and covers every (most) bars onboard. 

I always thought it was absurd as well. The thinking behind it is the bartenders are busy upgrading drink packages on day 1. It works for Celebrity and they are not going to change it. For that reason I don't bother buying a drink, just make my own. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

It says bars and lounges.. The MDR is not a bar or lounge.

The exclusions are concisely listed there as well...

image.png.6493f109c4caf845dcb22adfa108a1ab.png

... doesn't mean you won't find local exceptions on some ships though, but the intent to exclude restaurants is clear.

13 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Perfectly clear.  I think, like a lot of things with X, the policy has changed over time, again.  It really wasn't that long ago that the HH stuff was only in the Sky lounge.  That started getting really crowded which is one reason they changed it right?  

Pre covid I was in the Sky lounge every evening for HH drinks and never found it crowded.  Its a huge venue with plenty of seating.  Its now either vacant or used later in the evening for other events. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I agree with @drakes2(#35). Our experiences also. IMO, another Celebrity cut back. I thought maybe the halt to the evening CC HH in the Sky Lounge was only temporary when cruising started back up. Doesn't look that way. Only the CC can answer the real reason. I've never read anything about the reason for the change from the CC or Celebrity. If the change is going to be permanent then I believe the CC HH needs to include the first evening and allow CC HH drinks to be ordered in all the dining venues. Hate to see perks/benefits taken away. We like how RC is now handling their CAS HH drinks. Off my soap box.

Crowds in the sky lounge we’re not the only reason that they changed the happy hour. Passenger feedback told them that many people did not like to have to be dressed up for dinner to make the 5 PM happy hour, especially if they weren’t dining until 8 PM. By opening it to all the bars, passengers could spend the time in their casual clothes or even bathing suits and enjoy the happy hour drinks at Sunset Bar, Mast Bar, etc

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I agree with @drakes2(#35). Our experiences also. IMO, another Celebrity cut back. I thought maybe the halt to the evening CC HH in the Sky Lounge was only temporary when cruising started back up. Doesn't look that way. Only the CC can answer the real reason. I've never read anything about the reason for the change from the CC or Celebrity. If the change is going to be permanent then I believe the CC HH needs to include the first evening and allow CC HH drinks to be ordered in all the dining venues. Hate to see perks/benefits taken away. We like how RC is now handling their CAS HH drinks. Off my soap box.

No, they stopped the Sky lounge only HH drinks before covid.  It was talked about at the time.  There were some cruises with so many people with status that crowding became a problem and they had all the complaints about not being able to get drinks, etc.  Anyway, one thing you can count on is that things always change on X and that stuff that you hear about on these boards today may not apply to your cruise tomorrow.  It's always been that way. 

16 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

No, they stopped the Sky lounge only HH drinks before covid.  It was talked about at the time.  There were some cruises with so many people with status that crowding became a problem and they had all the complaints about not being able to get drinks, etc.  Anyway, one thing you can count on is that things always change on X and that stuff that you hear about on these boards today may not apply to your cruise tomorrow.  It's always been that way. 

Yes I know many have Elite status and enjoy the HH drinks but many who frequent the sky lounge clear out by 5:45 for the first dining seating. I never found it crowded always a spot at the bar anytime I decided to go and my last cruise pre covid was Thanksgiving November 2019.  So its just another excuse Celebrity's using to not staff the Sky Lounge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

When? What ship? What itinerary?  Where was it talked about? Depends on the itinerary concerning crowding and what time you attend. I'm sure there were "some" cruises with crowds.  We are always in by 5:PM and out by 5:45 PM. Well attended but always a chair to sit in and no issues with service. Our last 2019 cruise was September on the Summit and the evening CC HH in the SL was still happening.  IMO, CC is a good source based on personal experiences and the evening CC HH in the SL was talked about a lot since cruising resumed. But there's only one source that counts. Things change. Say it's not so. 😂

Edited by davekathy

19 minutes ago, davekathy said:

When? What ship? What itinerary?  Where was it talked about? Depends on the itinerary concerning crowding and what time you attend. I'm sure there were "some" cruises with crowds.  We are always in by 5:PM and out by 5:45 PM. Well attended but always a chair to sit in and no issues with service. Our last 2019 cruise was September on the Summit and the evening CC HH in the SL was still happening.  IMO, CC is a good source based on personal experiences and the evening CC HH in the SL was talked about a lot since cruising resumed. But there's only one source that counts. Things change. Say it's not so. 😂

I think, but never cruised during it, there was a very very short period of time in between where they had paper drink coupons left in your cabin for HH drinks anywhere.   Anyway,  X has changes that affect stuff, really, constantly.   Oh, and I think it was during a certain period of time they were doing it only on ships where they had a 'boatload' of people with status, Sky lounge or coupons. 

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Interesting but that didn’t answer the question. Did you receive the Captains Club instructions in your stateroom? A form like tge one in post #22.

This might not be current info but I think there is a envelope/sheets of paper in your cabin at start of the cruise with you CC info in it.   Maybe in an envelope on the door. 

Edited by rmalbers

25 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

This might not be current info but I think there is a envelope/sheets of paper in your cabin at start of the cruise with you CC info in it.   Maybe in an envelope on the door. 

See post #22. That's what we have always received. It's left on the vanity along with other info related to that specific cruise. 

39 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

I think, but never cruised during it, there was a very very short period of time in between where they had paper drink coupons left in your cabin for HH drinks anywhere.   Anyway,  X has changes that affect stuff, really, constantly.   Oh, and I think it was during a certain period of time they were doing it only on ships where they had a 'boatload' of people with status, Sky lounge or coupons. 

It's been years since the CC gave out vouchers for CC HH drinks. Much better with our CC HH drinks loaded on our Seapass cards. 

43 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

The evolution went roughly like this.

When they were not very many elite, elite plus and zenith, the event was held in Michael’s club.

When the reciprocity to Royal Caribbean began and there was a huge influx of passengers at the elite level and higher, the event moved to the sky lounge.

you showed your SeaPass card for entry.  You were requested not to take drinks with you from the lounge, and often the Captain’s Club host was at the door to remind you of that.

There was a dress code, and only elite and above members could attend, you could not bring friends or family with you.

Some passengers complained that the hours were inconvenient and that they didn’t want to dress up that early.

Also some complained that as seating became tight, there were too many passengers saving seats for others.  

While are the hours didn’t change, the cruise line began issuing coupons, three per passenger per day. You could redeem the coupons at most any bar. Those who did not want to dress up were satisfied.  They also allowed you to share the coupons so if you wanted to buy your non-elite friend a drink, you could.

I’m some ships, for a while, there was a hybrid program. The sky lounge was open for those who wanted to go there from 5 to 7 and the coupons gave you the option of not going there for your drinks.

Some passengers began objecting to the coupons. They tried to redeem them on the wrong day because they mixed up which coupons they were supposed to be using. They forgot the coupons in their  state rooms. And some called them “food stamps” and said that the coupons were demeaning.

They also said that if they were in the sky lounge they would have had unlimited drinks but with the coupons they only had three drinks during the 5 to 7 time.

Today, the current situation is that the Elite and above status is noted on your keycard and drinks from the Happy Hour list.  No coupon needed, unlimited drinks from the  list, same hours as always, same situation as regards the embarkation night exclusion.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

The evolution went roughly like this.

When they were not very many elite, elite plus and zenith, the event was held in Michael’s club.

When the reciprocity to Royal Caribbean began and there was a huge influx of passengers at the elite level and higher, the event moved to the sky lounge.

you showed your SeaPass card for entry.  You were requested not to take drinks with you from the lounge, and often the Captain’s Club host was at the door to remind you of that.

There was a dress code, and only elite and above members could attend, you could not bring friends or family with you.

Some passengers complained that the hours were inconvenient and that they didn’t want to dress up that early.

Also some complained that as seating became tight, there were too many passengers saving seats for others.  

While are the hours didn’t change, the cruise line began issuing coupons, three per passenger per day. You could redeem the coupons at most any bar. Those who did not want to dress up were satisfied.  They also allowed you to share the coupons so if you wanted to buy your non-elite friend a drink, you could.

I’m some ships, for a while, there was a hybrid program. The sky lounge was open for those who wanted to go there from 5 to 7 and the coupons gave you the option of not going there for your drinks.

Some passengers began objecting to the coupons. They tried to redeem them on the wrong day because they mixed up which coupons they were supposed to be using. They forgot the coupons in their  state rooms. And some called them “food stamps” and said that the coupons were demeaning.

They also said that if they were in the sky lounge they would have had unlimited drinks but with the coupons they only had three drinks during the 5 to 7 time.

Today, the current situation is that the Elite and above status is noted on your keycard and drinks from the Happy Hour list.  No coupon needed, unlimited drinks from the  list, same hours as always, same situation as regards the embarkation night exclusion.

Exactly the way I remember the evolution.  The introduction of the Edge Class complicated it somewhat.  It think it pushed to change.  Used the Eden’s I believe.  I also recall Celebrity serving snacks in multiple places.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Yes I know many have Elite status and enjoy the HH drinks but many who frequent the sky lounge clear out by 5:45 for the first dining seating. I never found it crowded always a spot at the bar anytime I decided to go and my last cruise pre covid was Thanksgiving November 2019.  So its just another excuse Celebrity's using to not staff the Sky Lounge. 

What ship were you on when the Sky Lounge was not staffed serving drinks at 5:45 PM, except during the Covid restrictions.  

You are guaranteed to be able to eat in blu if in a suite , it depends if there is room,  I see no reason to eat in mdr if you are in a suite, we will split on meals between Luminae and specialty since we have a royal suite which gives you free specialty restaurants. Looking forward to summit again in royal suite in March. Suite lounge is really nice , outdoor retreat is a joke compared to edge class , but I prefer Luminae on M class to E class. 

38 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Exactly the way I remember the evolution.  The introduction of the Edge Class complicated it somewhat.  It think it pushed to change.  Used the Eden’s I believe.  I also recall Celebrity serving snacks in multiple places.

On the Edge was originally in The Club.