The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday December 25th, 2022

rafinmd

Today is Christmas Day, National Pumpkin Pie Day, and A'phebet  day

Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive good things and good people will be drawn to you. Mary Lou Retton - Gymnast

Meal Suggestion for today - Christmas Ham
Drink of the Day - Devil In The Morning
Wine of the Day - Torres 2015 Mas la Plana Red (Penedès) Catalonia
Destination of the Day - Wellington, New Zealand

Eurodam

Grand Cayman Island, George Town Harbour 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 14:00

Oosterdam

Puerto Madryn, Argentina 09:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 12/27

Zaandam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 08:00 - 16:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Napier, New Zealand 08:00 - 16:30

Westerdam

Port Chalmers (Dunedin), New Zealand 8:00 AM To 6:00 PM

Capture1.JPG.f37c4d83b75aac4275ef09200f8d18e2.JPG

Capture2.JPG.6f5fa83a7f8c3ad1f103244e4d635c02.JPG

Roy for @richwmn

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays !!!

I had planned to take the day off for this special day but I just can’t.

Today is A’phebet Day. What does that mean?

It is National No “L” Day.    NOEL Day.   Get it. Words without the letter L.

Oh, what the he !  😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate.  Happy No L Day.  I love pumpkin pie but I didn't make one for today.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, but we're having turkey.

I'm sure the drink and wine will be good too.

I've never been to today's port, but I'd love to go.

The blizzard has ended but we have a snow squall warning for today.  The power has stayed on 🙂.  It's still very windy, but not as bad as yesterday.  We're warm and happy to be inside today, and thankful for all we have.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

merry-christmas-wishes-15-1566314192.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Daily-ites! A very Merry Christmas from St. Thomas!

Yesterday in San Juan was so much fun. The day was beautiful. We (I) shopped then stopped to have fish tacos and a few margaritas.

We had dinner plans at Rudi's and we were still full from lunch. I managed to inhale a lobster..

I'm going ashore and downtown. Not sure if my sweetheart wants to go. Waiting for him to wake..

Prayers lifted to every single Daily-ite and their families. Blessed Sunday and Christmas Day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!

21ocsb.jpg.55f59b92fcbaea6959dd0e19bcd6432d.jpg

It is still very frigid here in mid-Michigan, but the wind has died down substantially.  We are all ready for Christmas here and as soon as I finish this, I will stuff the bird and get it in the oven.  We were supposed to be 10 for dinner, but I think we are down to 7 now.  Sue's DDIL is running a fever, the baby is sick, and the three year old is coughing.  We don't know what it is and neither do they.  They won't do a test for Covid, so it is best they stay home.  We can celebrate with them another time.  

Today's meal is Christmas Ham.  In past years when all of us were at one place for Christmas we sometimes had a ham along with the turkey.  We usually assigned that to nephew Ian to make and he rather enjoyed it.   I remember my mom making ham and she would stud it with cloves,  use a brown sugar and mustard glaze, and put pineapple rings on it.  Years later she got a spiral sliced ham for Christmas and wanted to put pineapple on it.  Brother Jeff, the chef, tried to convince her that you didn't put pineapple on a spiral sliced ham.   She wasn't buying it.  So, he printed off a warning about using pineapple on the ham, claiming it caused an aversion to soap operas and small children, and managed to embed it on the tag for the ham so it looked like it came from the factory that way.  She carried that tag in her purse until she died.  

Here is our first recipe:  https://easyweeknightrecipes.com/christmas-ham-brown-sugar-glaze/

1944982127_Christmasham1.thumb.jpg.54badc9b7f7e65d6334d47f55979c003.jpg

This one leaves out the cloves but adds in orange juice.   https://aprettylifeinthesuburbs.com/best-christmas-ham-recipe/

666073165_Christmasham2.thumb.jpg.2f1e7915ba1c0c837ea16e9355ed7b35.jpg

This one uses honey in the glaze along with some garlic.  You could also use Maple Syrup in place of the honey.   https://cafedelites.com/brown-sugar-mustard-glazed-ham/

1001252273_Christmasham3.thumb.jpg.2be09d8f803cc75ae8f236153e8a5996.jpg

Here's hoping your meal is fantastic, whether it is ham or turkey or something else.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day and a very merry holiday.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 3

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate. The calm before the storm here. It is 11/feels like -2 here, quite balmy when compared with what some of you are dealing with. 

I am off to start the French toast. 🤞🏻that using melted ice cream for the batter works out. I will report my findings. 

Thank you Rich, for preparing the report, Roy for posting it & keeping our lists, Dixie & Debbie, my F & B colleagues, Sandi & Lenda for all the pictures they share, and to all the Dailyites for coming here everyday. 

2C28056E-9D60-4FB2-BA59-E74A8E25D929.jpeg.350e614ab68ef15e3b4b25992c21f8f5.jpeg

92C616C8-117D-4C8E-9934-5936B04889B0.jpeg.3e7af6f48441003addded5960283829c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!  Get well & stay well everyone!

Torres 2015 Mas la Plana (Penedès) Catalonia

All released vintages of this Cab share similar excellent - superb reviews from consumers and critics. Though I did find several online distributors with prices starting at $59.99, if you are willing to hold for a year or so, you might find more recent vintages for less.

Winemaker Notes

Mas la Plana is graceful and balanced despite its firm and dominant tannin profile. Bright crunchy acidity ensures a wine that will develop in the cellar for years to come. This polished red displays hints of its Mediterranean heritage with herbaceous bramble while holding true to brooding currant and loamy earth, reminiscent of old-world Cabernet Sauvignon.

WE97 Wine Enthusiast

Lifted berry and floral cherry and black plum aromas are supported by mineral notes and lightly toasted oak. On the palate, an explosion of ripe, pulpy berry fruit and snappy acidity settles with ease and elegance, while this Cabernet Sauvignon from a warm and dry year offers blackberry, cassis and chocolaty oak flavors. There’s plenty of depth to a smooth and balanced finish. 

JS93 James Suckling

A complex wine that has plenty of ripe red-plum and blueberry notes that lead to a palate that offers a chalky, modern and fresh array of ripe plums and berries with assertive, spicy oak. 

RP93 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The herbal 2015 Mas La Plana is one of the oldest Cabernet Sauvignons from Spain. It's sleek and polished, with varietal character intermixed with a Mediterranean side. The palate is medium to full-bodied with the fine-grained and elegant textbook tannins of the variety. This is from a warm and dry year, and the wine is ripe and powerful but in the Torres style, which is always nicely crafted, balanced and polished.

WS93 Wine Spectator
This red is firm, balanced and graceful. Currant and blackberry flavors mingle with smoke, loamy earth and mineral notes. The muscular tannins are well-integrated, the racy acidity lively. Restrained in style, but harmonious. Drink now through 2030.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, ski ww said:

To all the ships at sea, Merry Christmas and a healthy & Happy New Year. We're also having turkey today and again on Mon. when the whole family gets together for Christmas dinner. 

Welcome and a Merry Christmas to you and all of your family.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221225_122504.jpg

• Like 29

Good Morning Everyone, Merry Christmas to all who celebrate the holiday.  Today we will have turkey, sweet potatoes, a veggie to be named later and wine.  Today will be a day to relax.  DH will work on his latest Lego piece.

Santa came to the Amsterdam in 2017.

20171225_100234.thumb.jpg.98ceff07263a44238ee291cc13ebc7fe.jpg

• Like 29

Merry Christmas everyone! Santa has arrived but the grandkids are still asleep. Some quiet time and a hot coffee.

We had a delicious prime rib dinner. Enjoyed watching the children and their excitement that Santa is coming.

Today’s dinner will be centered around a honey baked ham. 
Well, kids are starting to stir so I need to get ready for the big event.

May all of you have a wonderful and Blessed Christmas Day.🎄

image.jpeg.a130ef245a7e691c7bb4301ecf0a8f19.jpegimage.jpeg.eb07305d7aad8885bdf3f5c0b10c665f.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Haha 6

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to my Daily family.  Safe travels and wonderful celebrations to all.  Hugs and Prayers where needed.  Our present to each other is the 18 day circle Hawaii cruise in 2024.

Devil in the Morning cocktail:

Ingredients
Splash of Grenadine
1 part JDK & Sons™ O3 Premium Orange Liqueur
2 parts Jim Beam® Devil's Cut®
3 parts Orange Juice
Garnish with Maraschino Cherries
Garnish with Orange Wheel

Instructions
Build in order over ice in a tall glass, letting the grenadine slowly settle through the cocktail. Garnish with a half-moon orange slice and/or a cherry.

Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 7.49.40 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Good afternoon on Christmas Day.

It is currently 48°F here in North East England.

Thank you Roy @rafinmd for all you do for this thread especially while Rich is cruising.

A big shout out to our Fantastic Food and beverages ladies.

I am always optimistic even when things don't look good.

I have never eaten pumpkin pie.

Today's food sounds perfect especially Debbie's @dfish which looks delicious.

Neither of us drink Red wine.

We all know the English alphabet but nothing specific showing for today.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is in pain.

Happy sailing for all our Dailyites who are currently sailing.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221225_132431.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning from a very cold New Jersey. Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and Happy last day of Hanukkah to those who celebrate that holiday. Let the light keep shining all year. Peace and health to everyone.

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 26

MERRY CHRISTMAS

image.thumb.png.6600a094922f79d5448a767eb76e325c.png

Wishing a very Merry Christmas to all who celebrate, and a happy last day of Hanukkah to our Jewish Dailyites.

Good morning from a chilly central Texas. where it is 24F.

We will being pecan pie and chocolate pie instead of pumpkin pie.  Not sure what A'phebet  day is.

Mary Lou Retton's quote is very true.

We are saving the Christmas ham (spiral cut with a brown sugar glaze) for Tuesday when older DD and DSIL are here.  Today will be roasted chicken, cornbread dressing with gravy and TBD vegetable. We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good if pricey.  We've had other Torres reds and enjoyed them.

We have not been to Wellington, NZ, but it is on tne bucket list.

@puppycanducruise  Melanie, I'm glad you still have power.

@Seasick Sailor  Jo, have a great day in St. Thomas.

@dfish  Debbie have a wonderful Christmas in your new house.  I'm sorry three of the family are sick, and hope they are well soon.

@cat shepard  Ann, the French toast with melted ice cream in the batter sounds good.

@aliaschief  Bruce, have a great time with the little ones.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 28