Do you have a credit card that you use to book your cruises?

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I use the BOA Royal Visa C.C. exclusively for Royal type purchases.  I do not use my Debit Card for anything other than grocery shopping and occasionally, dining.  There are no/very few protections (other than what the/your bank PROMISES) on debit cards.  

I have many C.C.'s and I use each for different types of purchases and the benefits that the business or C.C. company offers.  I don't fly if I can at all help it, so "Air Miles" is not a benefit for me.  

What happened to the badge pic?

We use our Citi doublecash card for as many purchases as we can.  2% cash back on all purchases with no limitation.  Of course, we do pay off our balance in full each month otherwise I wouldn't be using a credit card.  I refuse to a debit card because 1)  I don't get any financial reward for doing so, and 2) it just makes balancing my checkbook more complicated.

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

You want to avoid using a debit card for onboard charges - Royal will put holds on it each night and then charge the full amount at the end of the cruise.  This means that until the holds vanish your account was charged twice for the onboard expenses.  If you have a low amount in the debit account it can get overdrawn and not pay other automatic bills.

You can use a cash account onboard - this limits your charges to (normally) $500 before they will call you down to Guest Services to pay it off.

Definitely use a credit card to pay for our cruises.   Always pay it off in full each month so never any interest charges.   Big advantage for us is free comprehensive international travel insurance for the both of us up to age 80 covering unlimited medical, cancellation, lost luggage, rental car excess etc.   

Edited by datone
  • Like 2

I suggest you go here:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/credit-cards/rewards

Pick a card that has a cashback reward for new cards, once the required amount has been charged.  This might be the cost of your cruise, or you may have to use it for a few other things, too.  Then, when the reward is available, use it as a statement credit.  This reduces the cost of your cruise by that amount.

16 hours ago, Ret MP said:

There are no/very few protections (other than what the/your bank PROMISES) on debit cards.

That was true back in the last century. Visa branded debit cards pretty much have the same protections as a regular CC now, and have for years. It just may take 5-7 business days to be fully refunded.

12 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

What happened to the badge pic?

I needed a little change.  I usually change my avatars about every few weeks or so in other sites.  But, I've been lazy here.  Not to worry, it will be back some day.  I'll be changing it again soon.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

That was true back in the last century. Visa branded debit cards pretty much have the same protections as a regular CC now, and have for years. It just may take 5-7 business days to be fully refunded.

Federal laws have not changed MUCH for years.  Visa is still a private company and is only making promises not backed up with Federal Protections.  We're/I'm talking debit cards here.  

If Visa doesn't live up to it's promises, your only recourse is to get a lawyer (expense) and take them to court.  With Federal Protections, you write a letter, call, or file an online dispute, the law covers the rest.  Are you guaranteed to win your dispute?  Of course not!  But, absolutely no expense to you AND if you don't win your dispute, it can be appealed, again at no expense to you.  I spent many years in one of my previous careers disputing disputes for the company I worked for.  BTW, I never lost a dispute that I disputed.  

Edited by Ret MP

Only have one credit card - Chase Amazon Prime Visa, use it for everything, and pay it off each month. It has returned more than $800 in cash so far in 2022. The only time I ever use my debit card is when I need to withdraw tip money for cruises - otherwise it stays locked.

• Like 2

My daughter has an American Express Card, I'm not going to get into what level/color it is.  But, she pays a lot in Annual Fees for it.  However, the amount of money she saves in perks/rewards/promotions/first class lounges in airports/Pre-Check/and so on, is well worth the Annual Fee she pays.  If I traveled as much as her and her husband does, I'd consider it, too.  Also, I'm cheap and I don't pay an annual fee for any of my many cards.  

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 12:32 PM, travisma81 said:

I use a Chase Sapphire card for everything I buy and pay it off each month.  You gain a ton of points that way.  I only use my points for hotels and flights.  It also comes with trip insurance that could come in handy when traveling.  

We have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Private Client and the Chase United Airlines cards.  Like you said, trip insurance included at no additional cost.

We have an RCCL card, but we don’t use it.  We got one thinking trip insurance included or discounts on travel and no foreign transaction fees.  WRONG!  We stick with our Chase cards which offer these benefits.  We found no special perks with the RCCL VISA card.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:14 PM, Midwifelife7 said:

We don't use credit cards, but I was thinking of getting one to book our cruise.  I see that RC offers one, but I don't know when we will cruise again outside of this one that we are booking soon so I'm not sure if that would be worth getting a RC card for just one cruise, but it may be......

I'm not familiar with travel credit cards/perks. Do you have a suggestion?  

Get the RC card and collect the $200 bonus.