First Timer Any "Insider" Tips ?

itzfitz

I love, love, love this topic and the way everyone is sharing ideas. Not only does it give new cruisers to Oceania a starting point, it also shows the warmth of those that have previously cruised Oceania.  I have not always found that the case when utilizing new cruise brands.  So Bravo to all on this stream.

I captured and summarized some but not all of what folks said.  I listed it below from a standpoint of cruising in the Mediterranean, for 10-days, in November 2023 and in a Penthouse (PH3).  Keep that in mind when reviewing the bullet points. Hope it helps:

Food or Dining Related Hints:   The hints below are for the suite we have selected which is a (PH3) Penthouse on the Oceania Riviera.  Your stateroom may differ.

1. Daily Menu’s:  This can be found on your in-suite TV Screen.
  2. Priority Dining Reservations for Penthouse Suite: This is a 10-day cruise in the Mediterranean.  There are four (4) Specialty Restaurants onboard the Riviera. We can make one guaranteed reservation for each of the four Specialty Restaurants 75-7 days in advance if our full fare has been paid. 
  3. Specialty Dining: Make additional reservations for specialty restaurants the moment your get on the ship at the reservation desk. On embarkment day, we can make additional Polo Steakhouse reservations between 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM which is early embarkment for Penthouse level.
  4. Dining Special Events: “Taste of the World” samplers at lunch in the Grand Dining Room (Look for the date when on the ship).
  5. Coffee/Juice Breakfast Strategy:
    1. If you are a coffee drinker (I Am), before going to breakfast in the GDR or Terrace go to Barristas and get a REAL coffee or cappuccino and take it with you to breakfast. Same goes for the smoothies/fresh juices.
    2. Stop by Waves on your way to breakfast and get a fresh made smoothie or juice and take it with you also.
  6. Other Oceania Cruisers Food Favorites:
    1. Love RG and the Miso Glazed sea bass,
    2. Rack of Lamb and the Watermelon and Duck Salad. Jacques,
    3. Sea Bass in Puff Pastry for 2, AMAZING. If there is a Quartet offered for dessert, order it to get bite sized tastes.
    4. you must try the daily offerings of the Humphrey Slocumb ice cream, OUTSTANDING.
    5. Almond Croissants is a go to after ODing on Sticky Buns in the Terrace Cafe,
    6. The grilled lamb chops for breakfast.
    7. Great burgers and fare in Waves.

Things to See and So On-Board:

1. Self-Tour:  There MAYBE a self-tour of all the artwork on the ship.  Fun thing to do.
  2. Second Night: Captain’s welcome party with free drinks.
  3. In Suite: The Suite has umbrella, hairdryer, and wine opener.
  4. Laundry:  Discover the laundry closest to your suite.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

One more winner, if you have enjoyed your experience on board, ALWAYS  book a Future Cruise on Board with the O Club Ambassador.  Reduced Deposit, Cruise Discount and SBC benefits are included. 
What better way to work your way up the Oceania Loyalty Club ladder to gain even more amenities when sailing. The stock price for NCLH is dirt cheap, almost, so becoming a Shareholder with SBC benefits adds more incentives. JMHO.

Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not certain if there is a physical presence anymore with hand shaking and such due to Covid so they open the Bars for Free drinks for two hours, 6-8 p.m. Heading out on Marina in a couple weeks but have not heard the No Presence policy has been lifted but will know for sure soon. Lots of other recent cruisers will chime in I am sure. 

Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, schmerl said:

What time does the Captain's welcome party usually start? We have a specialty restaurant reservations the second night. 

5:30 or 5:45.  You have plenty of time.  Take a drink with you to dinner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Something to add to this for the OP -  you're in a Concierge Veranda so my advice would be to take advantage of the 3 bags of complimentary laundry. The self-service laundry rooms can be very crowded.  It might not be too bad on Riviera but it's terrible on the smaller ships.  I've given up on doing my own laundry so on my last cruise I took full advantage of the free laundry.  It's so much less stressful.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, schmerl said:

What time does the Captain's welcome party usually start? We have a specialty restaurant reservations the second night. 

For the 11/18-28/2022 Sirena cruise it was Day 2:

"5:45 pm Join Captain Silic as he introduces his Senior Officers in Sirena Lounge at 6 pm.

Complimentary Cocktails:

5:45 - 6:45 pm Sirena Lounge / 6- 8 pm Martinis & Horizons"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I love, love, love this topic and the way everyone is sharing ideas. Not only does it give new cruisers to Oceania a starting point, it also shows the warmth of those that have previously cruised Oceania.  I have not always found that the case when utilizing new cruise brands.  So Bravo to all on this stream.

I captured and summarized some but not all of what folks said.  I listed it below from a standpoint of cruising in the Mediterranean, for 10-days, in November 2023 and in a Penthouse (PH3).  Keep that in mind when reviewing the bullet points. Hope it helps:

Food or Dining Related Hints:   The hints below are for the suite we have selected which is a (PH3) Penthouse on the Oceania Riviera.  Your stateroom may differ.

1. Daily Menu’s:  This can be found on your in-suite TV Screen.
  2. Priority Dining Reservations for Penthouse Suite: This is a 10-day cruise in the Mediterranean.  There are four (4) Specialty Restaurants onboard the Riviera. We can make one guaranteed reservation for each of the four Specialty Restaurants 75-7 days in advance if our full fare has been paid. 
  3. Specialty Dining: Make additional reservations for specialty restaurants the moment your get on the ship at the reservation desk. On embarkment day, we can make additional Polo Steakhouse reservations between 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM which is early embarkment for Penthouse level.
  4. Dining Special Events: “Taste of the World” samplers at lunch in the Grand Dining Room (Look for the date when on the ship).
  5. Coffee/Juice Breakfast Strategy:
    1. If you are a coffee drinker (I Am), before going to breakfast in the GDR or Terrace go to Barristas and get a REAL coffee or cappuccino and take it with you to breakfast. Same goes for the smoothies/fresh juices.
    2. Stop by Waves on your way to breakfast and get a fresh made smoothie or juice and take it with you also.
  6. Other Oceania Cruisers Food Favorites:
    1. Love RG and the Miso Glazed sea bass,
    2. Rack of Lamb and the Watermelon and Duck Salad. Jacques,
    3. Sea Bass in Puff Pastry for 2, AMAZING. If there is a Quartet offered for dessert, order it to get bite sized tastes.
    4. you must try the daily offerings of the Humphrey Slocumb ice cream, OUTSTANDING.
    5. Almond Croissants is a go to after ODing on Sticky Buns in the Terrace Cafe,
    6. The grilled lamb chops for breakfast.
    7. Great burgers and fare in Waves.

Things to See and So On-Board:

1. Self-Tour:  There MAYBE a self-tour of all the artwork on the ship.  Fun thing to do.
  2. Second Night: Captain’s welcome party with free drinks.
  3. In Suite: The Suite has umbrella, hairdryer, and wine opener.
  4. Laundry:  Discover the laundry closest to your suite.

Gary, as another poster mentioned, and you might know this, since you are in a PH you get 3 bags of laundry included. You can also order any of the specialty restaurants in your room during service hours. You'll also get a bottle of sparkling wine on embarkation.

I believe the Watermelon and Duck Salad is Red Ginger. On embarkation day you may or may not get extra reservations beyond your guaranteed ones that you will probably already have booked. It all depends on availability. But the first night is generally a good time to get an extra reservation, not just in Polo but in any of the Specialties. 

Here's one of my pet peeves. If you like scrambled eggs, which I do, you need to ask for them to be made fresh with cracked eggs. Even then in the GDR you may or may not get them that way. In the Terrace you can get them at the omelette station, otherwise it's that watery mush cruise lines try to pass off for scrambled eggs. 

Try the lasagna in Toscana, when it's right it's wonderful. 

I have to second the almond croissants, they are not available everyday, but they are delicious. When we are having breakfast in GDR we always ask what the special pastry is. They also have an egg special each day. 

If you have a special soda you like have your TA request they have it in your frig. For years I've had people ask me where I found the Diet Dr Pepper. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, ORV said:

Gary, as another poster mentioned, and you might know this, since you are in a PH you get 3 bags of laundry included. You can also order any of the specialty restaurants in your room during service hours. You'll also get a bottle of sparkling wine on embarkation.

Got it, thank you.  I have a separate list that was pulled from the Amenities off the website that I did not include.  The list I posted was strictly from this specific topic/stream.

59 minutes ago, ORV said:

I believe the Watermelon and Duck Salad is Red Ginger.

GREAT clarification, Thank you.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

But the first night is generally a good time to get an extra reservation, not just in Polo but in any of the Specialties. 

Another great clarification.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

If you like scrambled eggs, which I do, you need to ask for them to be made fresh with cracked eggs. Even then in the GDR you may or may not get them that way. In the Terrace you can get them at the omelette station, otherwise it's that watery mush cruise lines try to pass off for scrambled eggs. 

I am an over easy person however in my decades of travel allows me to remember that MUSH.  I disliked it then and know.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Try the lasagna in Toscana, when it's right it's wonderful

This is GREAT. It is what my wife loves most.  I will add this to my list.  Good call.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I have to second the almond croissants, they are not available everyday, but they are delicious. When we are having breakfast in GDR we always ask what the special pastry is. They also have an egg special each day. 

OMG, Almond Croissants.  If anyone reading this has gone on any NCL Haven cruises, the Almond Croissant they have is ONLY served in the Haven.  They are to die for.  When I cruised NCL not in the Haven, that was a huge disappointment.  GREAT baked goods especially for breakfast is a passion. 

Thank you for taking the time to clarify some of my items and list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gary for the excellent compilation of 'first-timer' tips and to all for their generous input as well as the Patty for starting this thread. It will be our first O trip next May and I love to do as much research in advance as possible to make life easier once on board. We've found the CC community to be extremely helpful on any of the boards for lines which we've sailed and promote it to our friends as much as possible. Appreciate your efforts!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Loving this thread!  Although we completed our first O cruise in June 2022, I am still following for additional/new ideas!!  I do second the idea of checking for another specialty dining on embarkation day - we snagged an extra Red Ginger. On the Vista in a PH in a year (1/2024).  Living vicariously through these threads! 😃

Edited by DENIE
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

For the 11/18-28/2022 Sirena cruise it was Day 2:

"5:45 pm Join Captain Silic as he introduces his Senior Officers in Sirena Lounge at 6 pm.

Complimentary Cocktails:

5:45 - 6:45 pm Sirena Lounge / 6- 8 pm Martinis & Horizons"

Thanks....I just went in and changed our reservation on the second night to a later time. 

• Thanks 1

A few things I will add:

ORV - you and hubby  compete for the diet Dr. Pepper!

the first thank you note I write to staff goes to the Master and his laundry team - for 16 people in total to do ALL the sheets, towels, chaise covers, linens, napkins, all staff uniforms and then 3 bags from guests,  are the unseen, unsung staff who are hero’s in my eyes.   I usually send them treats  with my note (chocolates or chips).   

You do not have to take whatever drink is on tray and offered at Captain’s welcome party.   You can give the server your order (just be patient, they are filling many of us who are in the know orders as well).  

if you are on the Marina or Riviera, I would highly recommend getting 8-10 others together and do a Privee dinner (room between Polo and Toscana).  Price is a flat $300 - split by 5 couples equals $60.   You can choose  to use menus from Polo/Toscana to mix and match or work with the Executive Chef on a couple other menus and you can mix and match them with Chef’s approval.   You can get the menus from the Concierge on 5 near Red Ginger hall.  We did this in November on Marina with 4 couples we met onboard.   It was better than LaReserve dinners we had!

There are needlepoint (kits provided for free, you must complete one before you can get another kit) and this is always on a sea day at 9:30 am in Horizons.  They will show you how to do it.  Other days may include bracelet kits.   

We bring back spicy chips when we go into a port  (Doritos, Cheetos) for our cabin stewards as part of our thank you’s.   We don’t wait to tip them at the end but throughout the cruise with notes on how much we appreciate them.   Same for others who have been helpful.

We tape $2 bills to the luggage when we put it out night before disembarking.  Many hands are involved in getting it all moved and into terminal the next morning.

Filling out mid cruise comments are valuable, both for things needing correcting and identifying those who go above and beyond.    If you don’t get satisfaction, request a meeting with GM - write a note and leave it at front desk.   They will respond.

We’ve been on every ship since October 2021, except Nautica.   We leave this  Wednesday for 10 day Riviera cruise from Miami.   

• Like 8

I always order the veal osso bucco in Toscana.  I used to make this time-consuming dish at home when entertaining way back in the 80s, so I can appreciate a fine preparation.  It’s luscious and tender.  I’m an affirmed pasta snob and am not impressed with the pasta dishes….they’re too over-the-top.  But that’s just my preference.  😀

For a true comfort food experience, you can’t beat the roast chicken in the GDR.  Excellent!

Edited by YoPhilly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, marylovestotravel said:

$2 bills? Where from?

Canada use to have $2 bills, but they have been replaced by the toonie!

Mia

I guess us Canadians need to take a roll of Toonies  & tape them to  everything 😃

They would probably just throw them away  though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I guess us Canadians need to take a roll of Toonies  & tape them to  everything 😃

They would probably just throw them away  though

A few years ago my spouse had been given a $2 as change. He used it to pay for some coffee and the young cashier thought it was "funny money"...seriously, they thought it was a joke until the manager explained it was actual money 😅

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

A few years ago my spouse had been given a $2 as change. He used it to pay for some coffee and the young cashier thought it was "funny money"...seriously, they thought it was a joke until the manager explained it was actual money 😅

I think your $1 coin also wen the way of the DoDo bird  as no one wanted them either

Sadly they have done away with the $1 and 2 bills here in Canada  so we have coins to lug around  😉

• Like 1

This is our first cruise with Oceania………airport arrival question:

I’ve searched but haven’t found………..we arrival into Miami early the morning of our Feb 20 cruise, using Oceania flights.  Will they meet us and transfer us to the terminal as part of their package?

Thank you for your knowledge

6 minutes ago, Jtm1979 said:

I’ve searched but haven’t found………..we arrival into Miami early the morning of our Feb 20 cruise, using Oceania flights.  Will they meet us and transfer us to the terminal as part of their package?

Yes! Enjoy your cruise on Oceania.

seachelt

39 minutes ago, Jtm1979 said:

Eagle, Idaho!?! I lived there when the only school was Eagle Elementary. Hi!

There should be someone near the baggage pick-up with a sign for Oceania. Transfers are included with same day air through O (and some other circumstances); it should say that on your guest statement....ah, found mine....Below the Cruise Fare items, there is "Air Arrangements" and the "Land Arrangements" (all = $0) where is says "Air Transfer Airpot to Ship".

Enjoy!

Thank you!  Searched Oceania and this site…..sorry I didn’t look for this on my invoice.   

AM, we’ve lived here since mid 70’s and remember when Eagle was a bedroom community…….lol

Seachelt, I appreciate your response, also. 

Happy and safe travels to both of you

• Like 2