The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday December 29th, 2022

rafinmd

Good morning from Jacksonville,

We are just finishing up breakfast.  Will pack the car and then head to Bluffton to see what surprises await us. Can’t wait.

Will have to hang around until it is time to pick up our mail at the post office.

Just waiting for DH to finish up with his breakfast.  The fact that I am posting means that I have finished mine.  I miss my cappuccino this morning!

Anyway, we have our February cruise to look forward to.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Hope to post later with some pictures of our house.

Terri.

• Like 25

Late getting back to the thread today.  I will celebrate Mongolian Independence Day (fondly remembering my visit there), pass on the Pepper Pot, and was glad to see the "c" in Tick Tock day.  I think many things increase when shared, haven't been to Ivory Coast, and will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Coconut Nutmeg Soup and Oven Roasted Chicken as served on MS Ryndam December 29, 2014.

Today’s care list:

Seasick Sailor’s friends with covid and Allen with bad cold
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Zuiderdam in Everglades

zd1229.thumb.JPG.2a2baac972aec9306a9ee962f2e8c202.JPG
Kwanzaa (to Jan 1)
Buffalo airport vendors
A difficult but important and successful trip for HAL Sailer
Welcome home (sort of)  Cruisin Terri after a restful cruise
6 days for ger_77 (Rotterdam 1/4 to 1/25)
5 days for Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam 1/3 to
Bon Voyage crystalspin, Copper10-8,Vict0riann, and sailingdutchy(1/31) (Koningsdam 12/29 to 1/7/23)
1 day for Gail&Marty (Zuiderdam to 5/12/23)
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2),  Kazu and Av8rix (Koningsdam  to 1/7), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25),  indaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

Good morning all,

We have clouds again today and the hope of more rain, although the chances are diminishing.😏  Most of yesterday involved changing a burned out surge protector, plugged in behind my desk. That involved unloading it, rethinking how things get plugged in, and getting some new cords. I still have to finish putting back what I took apart.

@Heartgrove Your “engineer gene” is showing!😁

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Happiness is the only thing that multiplies when you share it. Albert Schweitzer - Theologian

I like the quote with one exception; many other things multiply when shared: love, disease, seeds, grumpiness, most attitudes, etc.

I am happy to report that our power is still on, after 14 hours. Highway 2 is open in both directions, Stevens Pass Ski Resort is open, and life is looking like it might get back to normal in this little mountain town. 

One thing positive about all of the difficulties our town has experienced over the past few months is that we find out who cares for others. It turns out that most of the townspeople are there for each other. From the fire chief, who is like our own Christopher Robin going around the 100 Aker Wood checking on everyone, to the guy living in the trailer without any heat who helps with the local food bank and visits with people that are even less fortunate than him. The couple that works at the Pass decided to serve meals every day while the highway to their jobs was closed and the power was out. They got a key to the Masonic Hall where all the food from the local food pantry is stored, and they were able to cook up some wonderful dishes created from what was available. They served those meals with a side of friendliness and encouragement in a warm building with lights on because of the generator supplied by donations to the food pantry. 

The difficulties don't make a town better, but they do show the true character of the people going through them.

• Like 36

Good morning from a partly sunny central Texas where it's predicted to reach 74F.  For the next ten days, we are supposed to be in the mid 60s to mid 70s except one day of 59F.  There will be no complaints about the temperatures for a while.

Mongolia Independence Day and Tick Tock Day are worth observing.  I think we'll pass on pepper pot day though.

I like today’s quote.

We'll pass on the meal amd the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but the price rates a WOW!

We have not been to Abidjan, Ivory Coast.  I hope someone has been there and will share their pictures.

@Vict0riann  🥂 🍾  BON VOYAGE, AN N AND PAT!  🎉 🚢  

Have a wonderful cruise.

@kochleffel  Thanks for sharing the article.  It's nice seeing people helping others.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad your DH made it safely to his appointment and back.  It was nice of your neighbor to plow the driveway and sidewalk.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope your sinus issues are a thing of the past soon.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, safe travels today.  I hope you only find pleasant surprises when you get to your house.

@Heartgrove  That's good that U Tube came to your rescue, and you saved a lot of money.

@HAL4NOW  Glad your power is still on, and that things are getting back to normal.  You have some wonderful and kind people living  in your town.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. It is sunny right now as we are between predicted storms. We got an additional few inches last night and I am waiting for the roads to get a bit clearer before I try for the grocery store. Need both people food and dog food although I could get by on what I have if necessary. Our high today is predicted at 35F.... but the sun will do its duty I hope.

I think my dinner tonight will be a hamburger pattie with no bun and a salad. I have overeaten the past few days. My Mother never made us finish up what we did not like... but it was a choice of either eating it or not eating as we did not have a big food budget and I did have to take several bites.  I learned to choke down some unappetizing things (at least they were to me) and she did try not to serve those things often. It was hard for her supporting 2 girls with differing tastes and working full time.

Need to do a lot of end of year wrap up in the next couple days both at home and at the shelter. As cold as it is, you would think people would walk their dogs rather than just putting them out to run at night... we are getting a lot of "turn-ins" as dogs seek shelter or are found wandering and the finders do not want to leave them out at night. I retrieved a small dog off my porch this morning but fortunately I was able to find where he lived and when I got close to house I saw his Mama out calling him. Suggested she use a leash.... they are marvelous things.

Take care all. I am so envious of the cruises started. Will be very interested in following along, particularly the Volendam which I am scheduled for next January, although of course, a totally different cruise. Fingers crossed.

Susan

• Like 27

Thanks for the Bon Voyage, Roy and all!  We’re all packed and will order a taxi for 11.  Who cares if our boarding time is 12?  We have to get out of the hotel.  

Pat is just heading out to get a lottery ticket for the Mega Millions for DD, as ordered.  I’m kind of sad to be leaving SD , there are so many good places to eat.  Next time I want to go to Fogo da Chao, a Brazilian place across the road.  It sounds really interesting.  

if I’m not around for a while, I wanted to wish everyone a Very Happy New Year!  

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Thursday!  I think I’ll pass on Pepper Pot, especially after reading what it really is from Tina @0106.  And am not sure about the meal suggestion — I don’t think I’ve ever had succotash.  I like all the ingredients but separately. 

I am going to make pumpkin pie today, something I haven’t made in years. We usually buy it at Trader Joe’s but they haven’t had it since Thanksgiving. And we are having meatloaf and mashed potatoes today. I hate to admit it but the meatloaf is from Trader Joe’s and it’s really good. Craig will make the mashed potatoes. 

I read that Linda @lindaler had problems with luggage. Does anyone know if she has gotten it yet?  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

Good morning all!

It looks like it will be another cloudy day, only in the low 40's F.  But drier, so I'll take it.

An interesting collection of days, I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.  I've never had Succotash, but Debbie @dfishI'm curious -- with your love of vegetables, what is it that you don't like about it?  Is it the lima beans?  That would do it for DH.  I just hate to hear stories of children being served the same food meal after meal until they eat it. 😞  I'm glad your Dad came home from lunch and "saved" you 🙂  

On the other hand @HAL4NOWI loved your story about your townspeople looking out for each other.  And very glad your power is back.

Sharon @Sharon in AZpumpkin pie sounds delicious!!

Yesterday I spent a good part of the afternoon putting together, charging, and learning how to use my new Eufy.  Does anyone have one?  My sister raved about hers at Thanksgiving, so DH got me one for Christmas.  I could easily have asked him to put it together, but then I wouldn't have a clue about how it works etc. so even though it took me much longer than it would him, I'm glad I did.  I think I'll be happy with it, but there are some rooms I won't be using it -- too many obstacles and places for it to get stuck.

Today we'll be making a wine run to Total Wine, and while out will stop by DD's to drop of something of hers and pick up a pie plate I left there on Christmas.  And get hugs from the grandsons of course. 🙂  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Fogo da Chao, a Brazilian place

Fogo de Chao is a chain with over 50restaurants in the US including one in Baltimore . (They are planning to expand to Canada.) The Churrasco Experience $63 is a meat lovers dream, a variety of meat keeps coming to your table until you tell them to stop.  My 25 year old nephew gets his moneys worth.  I order the Market Table $35 which is fancy sides, salads and charcuterie.  I’m not a fan of getting up to serve myself.   It is not a favorite of mine, more quantity than quality however, many people love it, particularly if you have a large group.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 0106 said:

Fogo de Chao is a chain with over 50restaurants in the US including one in Baltimore . (They are planning to expand to Canada.) The Churrasco Experience $63 is a meat lovers dream, a variety of meat keeps coming to your table until you tell them to stop.  My 25 year old nephew gets his moneys worth.  I order the Market Table $35 which is fancy sides, salads and charcuterie.  I’m not a fan of getting up to serve myself.   It is not a favorite of mine, more quantity than quality however, many people love it, particularly if you have a large group.

We got a Groupon for it & used it in Las Vegas....interesting but one & done for us.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@dfish, Debbie, sometimes I think we grew up in the same household! I also have memories of sitting at the table with whatever I  had not eaten. Thank goodness we always had one or two dogs. They knew they could count on me… My children were encouraged to try things but never went through that sort of thing. They seem to have survived well!
It is a balmy 47 here and I plan to try walking outside a little with my cane. I have not switched over to it entirely but feel ready to start progressing. I remain amazed at my good fortunate to have a new hip and much better functioning overall.

The aide meant well yesterday but had trouble managing a cranky patient with significant difficulty breathing. I would be cranky too in Tana’s shoes and she has very little patience nowadays. I wonder if she will return today. We only have her for four hours to help with showering and dressing.

We have not been to the port,no thanks to the recipe and I like the quote.

Have a great day everyone.

It's good to hear how well your recovery from your hip operation is going Terry.

Graham.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks for the Bon Voyage, Roy and all!  We’re all packed and will order a taxi for 11.  Who cares if our boarding time is 12?  We have to get out of the hotel.  

Pat is just heading out to get a lottery ticket for the Mega Millions for DD, as ordered.  I’m kind of sad to be leaving SD , there are so many good places to eat.  Next time I want to go to Fogo da Chao, a Brazilian place across the road.  It sounds really interesting.  

if I’m not around for a while, I wanted to wish everyone a Very Happy New Year!  

I hope you both have a fantastic cruise Ann and Pat.

Wishing you a very Happy new year.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, garlictown said:

😉Decided to get off the ship ( intransit on the Zuiderdam) for a few hours and enjoy Fort Lauderdale....before another 5 days of adventures.  😊Happy Thursday!

Katie, Dennis and Aunt Viviane 

FB_IMG_1672317207580.jpg

Nice photo.

• Like 5

Very recently, our ship, Regent Seven Seas Voyager, was due to make a port call in Abidjan but the "authorities" kept changing the health requirements.  Or rumor had it, the "authorities" were asking for a "donation" (read bribe), so the company decided to do a sea day.  Too bad, I was looking forward to visiting.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Yesterday was a Long day-finally home and in bed by midnight (3 am Atlanta time) . Of course, for once we weren’t rushing for a ferry and it was 30 minutes late. DDIL is also home. We stopped at the hospital on our way to the airport and the nurse came in to say DDIL would be discharged in an hour or so. Just time for us to get to the airport and DS to return to the hospital. Phew! And the biggest shocker was when I got on the scale this morning. Either it wasn’t correct before we left or I lost 7 pounds-24 days on the ship and a week at DS’s house. Happy dance!

Happy cruising everyone and have a great day.

• Like 21

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute Mongolian independence, never had Pepper Pot, and I really like tick tock day to remember time is precious. I think it's also for clock collectors, like me! Great quote. Maybe on the meal, pass on the drink, and I'd like the wine but can't afford it.

I haven't been to Abidjan.

It's 56F and sunny! So nice. I was up too late, and slept in until 9:30 (wow). BFF went home last evening and will be back on Saturday to celebrate NYE. We're discussing a cruise and also trip to Germany for a couple of weeks. I may make a grocery run to pick up a pork loin while they're on sale; they always are for the traditional pork and sauerkraut for the New Year. I'll use one from the freezer and replace it with the new one. I did an online passport renewal, which is a trial program. I hope they accept the photo I uploaded. It had to be digital and no place around here does those, so I had BFF take the picture. Initially the computer decides if it's ok, but later a government employee checks it also.

@rafinmd Thanks for starting us up and our lists.

@ger_77 Nice of your neighbor to do your driveway and walk with the big snow blower. 

@kochleffel Great heartwarming article.

@dfish Growing up I didn't like succotash either.

@Heartgrove YouTube is a great resource for fixing things. Glad you got it working and saved money!

@smitty34877 Take it easy on your walk. Sorry to hear that the aide wasn't used to working with sick patients who can be cranky.

@marshhawk Good to hear that Jessie is done with the proton radiation, but strange about the doctor's office not answering (what if it was an emergency?). Yikes on worms in your cauliflower!

@Cruzin Terri Safe trip home. I hope the house is nearly ready to move back in.

@HAL4NOW Great to hear you have power now, and hopefully it stays on. The townsfolk there sound like truly good people.

@Vict0riann Bon Voyage to you and Pat! 

@Cruising-along Growing up I told the elderly lady who watched me that she couldn't have the liver and onions that was in the fridge (she was like family, and I didn't like liver). My mother made me eat liver for 2 meals, as my punishment for telling her that. And since then I've liked liver, lol.

@garlictown Nice picture of you all. Enjoy the next segment of the cruise.

@SusieKIslandGirl I'm glad DDIL is home now. 

Prayers for the Care List (nice to see it's small) and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

It was the lima beans in the succotash we had that did it for me and there were the dreaded carrots as well.  My grandmother was very old school and children were going to behave come hell or high water.  And part of behaving was eating what was put in front of you.  My mother used to complain that she wasn't a short order cook.  With 6 kids there were plenty of individual tastes and someone was bound to be unhappy with what was served.  We could make ourselves a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Mom also tried to cater somewhat to our tastes.   We always got chocolate milk at dinner because I didn't like milk and would fuss about it.  Chocolate milk solved that problem.  She used powdered mushrooms in some dishes because Jodie and Bill didn't like mushrooms.  We never had just plain carrots for dinner.  I could pick them out of the mixed vegetables that were sometimes served.  

Today's outing to the Tridge was a lot of fun.  We walked the paths in the area and scouted out longer hikes for spring or summer.  Some were all snow covered and icy, so we didn't even try today.  You can hike from the Tridge to the Chippewa Nature Center, 3.5 miles away.  The Pere Marquette Bike and Hike Rail Trail starts there. That will take you all the way to Clare, 30 miles from Midland. At the Tridge there is a dog park, a skate park, a picnic shelter, a playground, and many single picnic tables and benches.  

The Tridge has three legs.  It is located at the confluence of the Chippewa River and the Tittabbawassee River.   

IMG_2091.thumb.jpg.afb0f2378e85b54876a172efa2457989.jpg

This leg crosses the Chippewa River and heads off to the Nature Center, following the river.  We plan to do that in spring or early summer.  

IMG_2095.thumb.jpg.5a3f2dc02bd154fc396a4193cd36bc28.jpg

There are two sculptures in the park that were created by Midland artist and long time neighbor of ours, Jim Hopfensperger.  

IMG_2099.thumb.jpg.370931bb3f2400df2449bf21b14984bc.jpg

Interestingly, most of Jim's sculptures look like they are members of the Hopfensperger family.  If these two don't look like Mom and Pop Hop, I don't know who does.  

IMG_2100.thumb.jpg.67324a660aa2cf15bcc4a405236e9bcb.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3