Best time to become "solo"?

celoplyr

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As long as it's cancelled prior to sailing. 

2 minutes ago, celoplyr said:

I don't want a solo cabin, I want the connecting cabin that I have booked (on one cruise) or the balcony cabin I have booked on the ship with no solo cabins. I was wondering if, for some bizarre reason, there was a way to only pay a 125% fee if cancelled at 85 days (rather than the double of paying for two people, or the 200% of a single penalty), or if there was a time of the year that no solo supplement was offered, etc....

Basically, as it's a change on RCL's part, now I have to learn how to maneuver that system that they put in place.

He is a TA and says it does not matter when you cancel the 2nd person. Just pay the fare. If you paid for 2 pax, the taxes and fees for 2nd pax are automatically refunded.

Ignore the righteous posts about scamming... some people have a need to feel better about themselves.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, celoplyr said:

yup, I was told that you get up to 30 days beforehand (like if you cancel at 31 days beforehand for the second guest you get the points, if you do it 29 days before hand you don't).

I'm like 90% sure that I'll be going alone, but it's that 10%... whereas before, you had until 3 days beforehand to change a name, and if they no showed at the pier you got the double points.

That FAQ says the booking must have been solo from the time it was created.  There’s nothing about 30 days out.  If you cancel the second guest yet do not receive the extra points, I don’t think you have any recourse.  

The bottom line is that before the policy was ambiguous.  It never clearly stated a solo in a no show scenario was guaranteed double points.  Through feedback and reported guest experiences it appeared to be commonplace.  I used it to vault myself from gold to platinum.  Woohoo! (my one time)

Just like the hack to have iMessage work for free on RoyalIQ ships was never a promised feature.  Yet it worked for years.  

Now they have stated a firm position on the scenario.  

At least now we know.

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

The bottom line is that before the policy was ambiguous.  It never clearly stated a solo in a no show scenario was guaranteed double points.  Through feedback and reported guest experiences it appeared to be commonplace.  I used it to vault myself from gold to platinum.  Woohoo! (my one time)

Just like the hack to have iMessage work for free on RoyalIQ ships was never a promised feature.  Yet it worked for years.  

At least now we know.

Looking at the FAQ that was posted (thank you to the person who did that!) It only talks about not getting points if cancelled within the 100% occupancy period, which is what I was also told... still confusing!

For instance, if I book now with a "paid single guest supplement" (which I've done before)... what would happen? 

Maybe I'll email that mbayley email to see if someone will put something in writing and I'll share it with the group.

FAQ:

Q    Do I get double cruise points if my sailing companion cancels and I sail as a single?
A    A booking must be created and sail as a single occupancy, with a paid single guest supplement to cruise fare, to receive the extra single sailor points. When one guest from a multiple-guest occupancy reservation cancels within 100% penalty, their cruise fare is held in penalty within the reservation. This allows the cancelled guest to potentially file a claim with their travel protection provider, if applicable. The booked cruise fare for the remaining guest(s) within the reservation remains the same and no single supplement is applied; therefore, the remaining guests receive Crown & Anchor Society points based on the initial occupancy booked within their reservation

13 hours ago, twangster said:

At least now we know.

Do you think they will crack down on the two extra bottles of wine hack that some people use by checking in separately although in the same cabin?

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Do you think they will crack down on the two extra bottles of wine hack that some people use by checking in separately although in the same cabin?

In the case of my ex I'd have gladly checked in separately.  In fact a different ship would have been even more ideal.  

• Haha 6

13 hours ago, celoplyr said:

For instance, if I book now with a "paid single guest supplement" (which I've done before)... what would happen? 

Maybe I'll email that mbayley email to see if someone will put something in writing and I'll share it with the group.

FAQ:

Q    Do I get double cruise points if my sailing companion cancels and I sail as a single?
A    A booking must be created and sail as a single occupancy, with a paid single guest supplement to cruise fare, to receive the extra single sailor points. When one guest from a multiple-guest occupancy reservation cancels within 100% penalty, their cruise fare is held in penalty within the reservation. This allows the cancelled guest to potentially file a claim with their travel protection provider, if applicable. The booked cruise fare for the remaining guest(s) within the reservation remains the same and no single supplement is applied; therefore, the remaining guests receive Crown & Anchor Society points based on the initial occupancy booked within their reservation

How is that confusing?  

The first sentence is pretty explanatory.

A booking must be created and sail as a single occupancy, with a paid single guest supplement to cruise fare, to receive the extra single sailor points.

54 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Several years ago when going through security for a cruise during the broad spring break timeframe, they did crackdown. Everone with bottles of any type detected by X-ray in carry on luggage was directed to tables.  Bottles were inspected, and logged by passenger name and cabin number, verified by cruise documents.  Quite an effort was expended and I think the real concern was young/underage drinkers.  It was too much work just to catch a few frugal old farts with an extra wine bottle or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, twangster said:

How is that confusing?  

The first sentence is pretty explanatory.

A booking must be created and sail as a single occupancy, with a paid single guest supplement to cruise fare, to receive the extra single sailor points.

That is not how it works in reality!

If you cancel pax 2 at any time before sailing you will get the 2x points - and if you want the best price 89-75 days out is the best time to do so!

Edited by cruiseboy89130

1 minute ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

That is not how it works in reality! If you cancel pax 2 at any time you will get the 2x points - and of you want the best price 89-75 days out is the best time to do so!

It used to work that way.  Not anymore.  That's the whole point of this thread.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

It used to work that way.  Not anymore.  That's the whole point of this thread.  

No it still works that way!

Only a no-show (!) doesn't work anymore - as long as you actively cancel the 2nd pax all is good!

Look at what Orsualbeach wrote!

So when you cancel 89 to 75 days out you get 75% back and even if you do not get the 2x points it is worth it because of the great price!

14 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

No it still works that way!

Only a no-show (!) doesn't work anymore - as long as you actively cancel the 2nd pax all is good!

Look at what Orsualbeach wrote!

So when you cancel 89 to 75 days out you get 75% back and even if you do not get the 2x points it is worth it because of the great price!

Book a bunch and let us know how your hack to 125% single supplement works out.  

• Like 1

Interesting discussion. I've never sailed solo and probably never will but is seems to be quite a planning nightmare. Mrs. Dawg is going to outlive me by a long shot so I'll show her this thread.

As for me, I'll never sail solo because of course, Mrs. Dawg would never toss me out. She has a BIG life insurance policy on me and she knows some people, who know some people. 😉 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 3

On 12/30/2022 at 2:09 PM, Merion_Mom said:

It IS now on the website. I was reading it a couple of days ago. 

21 hours ago, gmerick said:

FAQ:

A    A booking must be created and sail as a single occupancy, with a paid single guest supplement to cruise fare, to receive the extra single sailor points. When one guest from a multiple-guest occupancy reservation cancels within 100% penalty, their cruise fare is held in penalty within the reservation. This allows the cancelled guest to potentially file a claim with their travel protection provider, if applicable. The booked cruise fare for the remaining guest(s) within the reservation remains the same and no single supplement is applied; therefore, the remaining guests receive Crown & Anchor Society points based on the initial occupancy booked within their reservation.

Thank you.  I wasn't in a position to access it yesterday.  🙂 

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

You don't get anything back other than taxes when you cancel the second person - you get 75% back if you cancel the entire booking (no one sails). What you can do to get the extra solo point is to modify the booking to a solo (canceling the second person doesn't turn the booking into a solo) - that may or may not be a deal at the time you do it. 

Edited by Biker19

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You don't get anything back other than taxes when you cancel the second person - you get 75% back if you cancel the entire booking (no one sails). What you can do to get the extra solo point is to modify the booking to a solo (canceling the second person doesn't turn the booking into a solo) - that may or may not be a deal at the time you do it. 

OK - well every time the 2nd person cancelled I got 2x points - even 4 weeks ago - which confirms what the travel agent here said earlier in this tread.

Never cancelled other than in the 100% period so.

1 minute ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

OK - well every time the 2nd person cancelled I got 2x points - even 4 weeks ago - which confirms what the travel agent here said earlier in this tread.

And some folks still got the extra points when they had a no show. The RCI IT system does sometimes makes mistakes in the customer's favor.

It could also be that when you cancelled the second person, the system somehow modified the booking to look like a solo booking to the C&A system that awards the points.

• Like 2

We all known that royal is not known for consistency.  Just because one person had it one way is not an indication to declare that is absolutely guaranteed to be policy.  

Royal is best known for being inconsistent.  No one knows why.  Enjoy your solo cruise on YMMW of the Seas with a no-show 2nd and maybe you will get double or maybe you won't.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

We all known that royal is not known for consistency.  Just because one person had it one way is not an indication to declare that is absolutely guaranteed to be policy.  

Royal is best known for being inconsistent.  No one knows why.  Enjoy your solo cruise on YMMW of the Seas with a no-show 2nd and maybe you will get double or maybe you won't.

Never did a no-show! That is probably why the 2x points work!

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

And some folks still got the extra points when they had a no show. The RCI IT system does sometimes makes mistakes in the customer's favor.

It could also be that when you cancelled the second person, the system somehow modified the booking to look like a solo booking to the C&A system that awards the points.

Agree, I got a solo supplement for a sail in August even though it's not allowed for months of July & August.

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Agree, I got a solo supplement for a sail in August even though it's not allowed for months of July & August.

When new bookings first open it's not unusual for a few single supplement fares to be available in July and August.  I've scored a few year after year but looking now they are gone.  

I did get double points for my Explorer cruise 11/26/2022.  My friend and I booked a Greece trip which we moved x 2 because of Covid.  I ended up cancelling it and got our deposit (I paid for both deposit at the time) back as we were still not ready to go this past May.   I wanted to go ahead and add her to the Explorer booking so I could use all of the FCC for the deposit.  She was a no show and I did get the double points and her taxes and port fees back to my card when I got home.  I will say I knew about the change in the points and did not expect to get double points.  

Pat