Are HAL Ships Still Providing Daily News Summaries?

jimdee3636

I'm 4-star with HAL but it's been nearly three years since I've been on one of their ships. But in February we'll set sail on a 35-night Hawaii/French Polynesia voyage on the Koningsdam. I'm wondering if HAL ships still provide those printed daily news summaries. The U.S. summaries were eight pages and the Canadian and British ones were four pages each. (They usually had Dutch, German, and Spanish-language ones, as well). I'd enjoy reading all the English-language ones, especially at unhurried breakfasts on sea days (of which we'll have plenty). Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

Thanks.

Jim

That's too bad. I know DW did not want to see any news when on a cruise (or for that matter land travel also), but I liked the daily crossword puzzle in the NY Times and the baseball scores (even though they were a day late).

They do have a selection of printed crossword puzzles.  Upstairs across from the Explorations Cafe, there is a small selection of books, and printed copies of looks like 4 crossword puzzles.  This photo was taken in March of 2022.  And I have no idea if the computers are connected to the internet or not.

If you are interested, you can read, (I believe) the NY Times on Navigator.

L.

20220312_113601.jpg

23 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

You can add Rotterdam, Noordam, and Westerdam to that list based upon our travels.

Also add Nieuw Statendam. 

Note, too, the Internet Center on the ship is no longer 'powered by' the New York Times. I suspect the relationship between HAL and NYT has ended. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Also add Nieuw Statendam. 

Note, too, the Internet Center on the ship is no longer 'powered by' the New York Times. I suspect the relationship between HAL and NYT has ended. 

Good catch.  I forgot about our August cruise on the NS.

6 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

I still remember being on a ship during the big New York City blackout in August of 2003 and hearing rumors about what was going on. The next day and subsequent days paper copies of the Times  answered a lot of our questions about what had happened. 

Aloha. We actually sailed on the Zuiderdam a few days after the blackout. We were at our home in NY at the time and my wife asked me to vacuum. I hate to vacuum and while doing so the power went out. It was the last time I vacuumed lol!

• Haha 1

HAL went paperless to save the environment years ago (yet there are plenty of hard copies of shop advertisements delivered to the cabin 🤔). You may be able to have the hard copy of Times printed at Guest Services. They found some old trivia sheets to print out for me (no longer put out trivia sheets in EXC cafe) but they due have printed crossword and Sudoku as mentioned. 

You can access NYT and other magazines/news free through the Navigator app, as mentioned. I noticed the NYT was up to date and daily; the magazines were weeklies or monthlies and sometimes quite a few weeks old. The newsreader for NYT worked fine though. 

20 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

We spent four weeks on the Nieuw Amsterdam Nov/Dec.  We still enjoy the NY Times Puzzle.  This time, you tell the front desk, and every morning by 8:00 a.m., it is delivered to your stateroom.  Sweet!

Been there and done that.  Sometimes this delivery never arrives, sometimes very late in the morning.  I am just happy if it shows up. This was on the Koningsdam and Noordam. 

16 hours ago, REOVA said:

HAL went paperless to save the environment years ago (yet there are plenty of hard copies of shop advertisements delivered to the cabin 🤔). You may be able to have the hard copy of Times printed at Guest Services. They found some old trivia sheets to print out for me (no longer put out trivia sheets in EXC cafe) but they due have printed crossword and Sudoku as mentioned. 

I asked if they still printed out the NYTimes news and the Koningsdam and Noordam both said "under no circumstances".

10 hours ago, dockman said:

Dear HAL

I will trade you one 6 page copy of printed NYT summary for 50 copies of all the printed ads and save a lot of trees and make me happy.

A big, make that huge 👍 for that post.