Toilet Paper Quality

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Fold it a few times or more to increase the ply factor.  Not much you can do about the 30 grit. 😁

Their toilet paper is much more gentle on the derrière than the newspaper in the outhouse on the farm😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sailed as a Merchant Seaman for years.  If you really want to irritate the Chief Engineer, Asst. Chief, watch engineer, oiler.   Corn!  I brought a large can aboard once as a joke and handed it to the cook and the watch engineer chased me around the galley using swear words only a sailor could love.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, retird said:

Their toilet paper is much more gentle on the derrière than the newspaper in the outhouse on the farm😀

Pages from an old Sears and Roebuck catalog is what we used.  Newspaper made better fire starter. 

• Like 2

The Age Old Debate: 

Will bringing your own toilet paper onboard cause the toilets to clog? Fact or Myth 

The Myth: For so many years this rumor has spread around and people always say “Oh No don’t bring your own TP it’ll clog the system” 

Well folks here’s some Actual Facts w numbers from a cruise lines Chief Engineers who’s worked for them for over 40+ years: 

The quality of the toilet paper on Cruise ships is the cheapest they can find, same as all the lines.

The paper provided is not "marine quality". In 42 years, I've never had a clogged toilet from "improper" toilet paper. Bring your own if that floats your boat.

And While there are toilet papers that are designated for "septic systems" such that they will dissolve more quickly, the flow rate through the ship's sanitation system (800-2000 metric tons/day (200,000-500,000 gallons/day), compared to your home at around 200 gallons/day, it really doesn't matter what toilet paper is used. Ships also have macerators to chew up any paper in the waste flow, unlike your home.

Having said that, there is a major difference between toilet paper and facial tissues on one hand, and cosmetic, baby, or toilet "wipes" on the other. Toilet paper and facial tissue uses "pressed" paper fibers to make the paper, and this will dissolve in time. Wipes and paper towels use "woven" fibers, and in some cases plastic fibers to create strength, and these will not break down, and will likely cause blockages in the vacuum piping.

So there you have it folks 

Don’t be afraid to bring your own nice soft lovable TP from home....Your A”” will Thank You Immensely 😃🤣🤣

12 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Sailed as a Merchant Seaman for years.  If you really want to irritate the Chief Engineer, Asst. Chief, watch engineer, oiler.   Corn!  I brought a large can aboard once as a joke and handed it to the cook and the watch engineer chased me around the galley using swear words only a sailor could love.

Yet there is often corn served on the ships.

• Haha 1

Only been on Disney but have a couple of Celebrity cruise's booked. On Disney they have no issue with thicker toilet paper or tissues being flushed as far as I can see. No notices and our stateroom attendant advised when I had a cold to flush the tissues as long as it wasn't lots at once as the toilet breaks them up. I have Crohn's and flush wipes the ones without plastic and non-woven that state they can be flushed and have never had an issue as i can see them being turned to mush when flushed. I keep them in the bathroom next to the toilet and no notice has been left or anything said. 

Maybe celebrity didn't invest enough in the suction system for the toilets or are cheap with the toilet paper. 

Edited by Obobru
  • Haha 1

One poster said theyd been cruising Celebrity a long time and the TP quality has changed…..been cruising X since 1997 and onboard TP is onboard TP as it is on many other Lines Ive had the occasion to use, in both sense.. And just finished (pardon the visual there) our first Suite cruise and TP is the same. 

Good suggestions here: fold it a few times; Do Not bring your own (you were kidding right??); bring a portable bidet (my favorite idea); my suggestion - realize we are starting to work Very Hard to find things to complain about. 

I find little difference in shipboard TP than I find in many public ashore BRs. And I kind of chuckle as I see All the various TP variations in our local store….marketing. 

If you dont like 2 ply, make it 4 ply, or 6 or 20…..whatever.

I use to list out posts I thought were very entertaining. One was how Disney ships didnt creak as much as Celebrity ships - their X cruise was in high seas!; another about Suite TP was too thin; another about some guy who complained about staff service when he was loaned a personal umbrella by a staff person because one wasnt available for him and he didnt bring his own….and he ‘forgot’ to return it, but he still complained.

Wow. 

I guess I’ll quit listing those since two of the three have been repeated recently. No, I’ll drop all 3 because Ive read way too many threads about ‘poor service’ because the staff can’t mind-read or become a personal valet when someone cant do the basics.  

Den

On 1/1/2023 at 7:01 AM, jelayne said:

We live in a rural community Charmin will mess up our septic system which can handle

more than a ship system. Do not bring your own.

Those wishing to bring aboard their favourite toilet paper should be mindful of placing it in the bin with other waste materials not suitable for flushing. Simples!

7 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I was so annoyed when I read this I almost considered telling you why I do so as it is related to a health issue.  But I never flush them.  Enough said.

No offense meant. Understandable for health reasons.