The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 1st, 2023

rafinmd

⁹Good evening.  All most all the Christmas decorations and lights are down.  They will be put in the attic or the cabinet over the refrigerator tomorrow morning.  Then, DH's desk will be returned to normal.

Tonight, I tried a recipe I found in our local paper for a cabbage dish that included smoked ham.  Instead of smoked ham, I used some of our spiral sliced ham.  It was easy and turned out even better than I hoped.  We will definetly be having it again.  That along with the blackeyed peas  and cornbread muffins covered our New Year’s Day good luck foods.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, time for a quick check-in.  First of all, it was very early when I posted this morning and I have to apologize for neglecting to thank all of you for your kind words of condolence on our 3 losses.  It was a stressful day, but at the end of it, we realized there isn't anything we can do to change what has happened, and we must go on living our lives with the knowledge that these 3 people made significant impacts on them for us.  

We really feel bad for our DDIL, as she won't be able to return to Japan in time for the funeral, but after speaking with them today, it looks like the 4 of them may go for a couple of weeks to visit her relatives in May.

@mamaofamiplease wish Sam a Happy Birthday for me tomorrow!

@smitty34877 and @marshhawkcongratulations on your decades of sobriety; it's not easy and you are both to be commended for it!  I'd hug you if we were closer!

Well most of the tasks are completed - bedding changed, laundry done, (folded and put away, too, woo hoo!), vacuuming and dusting complete, and even the bathrooms are looking sparkly.   I did a final check of the suitcases, of course, throwing in a few more things (well there's room, so why not?), and changing the lists accordingly.  I now have to all the taxi company so they can have a car here for us at 3:30 tomorrow morning.  I do plan on calling it an early night, so we'll see if sleep is really in the cards for us or not.  There's always dozing on the plane, right?

Better go; it's time to head out to Popeyes to pick up dinner, then home, and get ready for a short winter's night.   Take care everyone and make the best of 2023!

Well for crying out loud - DH just called out to me from the other room "Ger, you're not going to believe this, but my tooth broke again."  Argh.  The denturist told him if it were to happen again, to use Crazy Glue . . . let us pray!  This is nuts!!!

Gerry, I can't believe that tooth broke again.  I hope the super glue holds until yiu get back from the cruise.  It does  seem as if the repair was not good.  I hope you get some sleep tonight. Safe travels tomorrow, and  BON VOYAGE.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Well I definitely made good use of our only sunny day this week.  DH and I got the fallen arbor dismantled, and then as what usually happens when I get out in the garden, I kept finding more things to do...and after a couple hours filled the yard waste to the brim and more.  Amazing how much more energy I have gardening than doing housework!  🤣

Finally having that mimosa, and it hits the spot.  Time to put the feet up! 

Carolyn, i can understand more energy doing outside work.  I told DSIL the other day that I would rather mow the grass than clean house.

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

For the third day, DH has worked on detailing the SUV.  He's pretty fastidious about our cars, so he wiped down the salt on the undercarriage especially the chrome tailpipes.  No salt allowed to sit and rust things out.

Quote from Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser:

"@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I know your family was cheering for Michigan, but I'm happy TCU Horned Frogs won yesterday, and I'm pulling for them on January 9 to beat Georgia.   Thanks for posting the links for today's port.

Yes, of course everyone rooted for Michigan (except perhaps our Buckeye DD), but I have to say before this weekend I'd never heard of TCU Horned Frogs.  What the heck is that?  Anyway I am rooting for Georgia to beat TCU like Debbie @dfishis!  Go Dawgs!!

Sandi, first horned frogs are not frogs or toads.  The TCU Horned Frogs refer to the Texas horned lizard which has a wide body and head.  They were common where i gew up.  We'd catch them, and when we turned them over and rubbed their stomachs, they would go to sleep or into a trance.  I doubt that would work with the TCU Horned Frogs.  Another name and the one we used was horny toad.  BTW, TCU stands for Texas Christian University. This is a picture of one from the internet.

image.png.b69a1a272ff10c62520213b1a69f7cf2.png

They look fierce, but are fairly docile, unless on the football field.  😉

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

Happy 2023!  Today is our anniversary- 46 years!

Best wishes to all!

Happy Anniversary!

15 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Rabbit! White Rabbit!

Happy New Year Daily Family!

For all who made resolutions, here's hoping you keep them for the month. 😉

Thank you Roy for being such a busy bee, 🐝 wearing lots of hats while Rich and Jacqui are sailing.

Today we will be due in Georgetown, Grand Cayman. It's a tender of course and the ship is overflowing with guests. We will take our time as we cancelled the tour when Allen got sick. It's a bummer because there are not that many tours offering wheelchair access.

The Collingsworth Singers are onboard with many church followers who have told us the music has been awesome and heart warming. We were not on the ticket so are unable to even sneak a peek. We love them and the Gaither family and most of the Gospel music.

A couple who sat next to us in Canneletto at breakfast yesterday saw my thumb and made a suggestion I thought would be very painful. I got a needle out of my travel sewing kit and poked it through the bed of my nail. It bled like crazy. I put a wrap around bandage on it and this morning it looks and feels amazing! Now not to get it caught again in the balcony door!

Prayers lifted on this first day of the new year. Wishing us all a year of health and happiness!

Joy, I’m so glad to hear your nail feels better. I’m not sure if I could poke it myself like you did though. 

9 hours ago, summer slope said:

Can’t wait to meet you. 

Me too Dixie!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, i can understand more energy doing outside work.  I told DSIL the other day that I would rather mow the grass than clean house.

Lenda I'm the same way.  Even mowing and edging the lawn and raking leaves doesn't seem like work to me.   Housework, on the other hand....😅

• Like 11

10 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@dfishokay, so the first time it broke, he was eating a puff pastry . . . today he was literally sucking on a piece of chocolate.  *shaking my head*   As I said, when we return there's going to be a conversation with the denturist about how it was "repaired".  It's still holding now, so fingers crossed!

Gerry, my DH chipped a tooth on a cruise eating a custard filled donut once!  Luckily it was near the end of the cruise so we emailed our dentist and got an appointment for the Monday following it.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, dfish said:
21 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Okay, @dfish, that's hardly fair. Yesterday, I was craving. Now, I'm salivating!!! (It's 130+/- miles from my place to yours. Gee, if I drive fast...)

But, seriously, YUM! And, thanks for sharing your recipe, technique, and photographic evidence. 

-Melisa 

It can't be that far to the grocery store tomorrow.  Stock up.  They keep well in the fridge for several days - if they last that long!

⬆️ The bolding is proof positive my daddy's advice that I should never ever pursue a career as a Stand Up Comic was spot on. 

-M.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

⬆️ The bolding is proof positive my daddy's advice that I should never ever pursue a career as a Stand Up Comic was spot on. 

-M.

Oh, I got the joke.  I do have some in the fridge so come on down.  But, I was trying to get them to you in an easier fashion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1