The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 1st, 2023

rafinmd

Good morning everyone and a very happy, healthy, and peaceful New Year. Today we will be celebrating Sam’s 87th birthday at my daughter’s home with the family. His actual birthday is January 2nd.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and for the people in Ukraine. On Friday, I  had a computer geek from Ukraine transfer my data to my new phone. He managed to get his parents out right after the war began. He, his wife, 2 young children, his parents and brother are all living here in the same house.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25

10 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Happy New Year! It sounds like all of Florida is fogged in this morning as it pretty dense outside. Hope the trend is to burn off quickly and that it won’t be a problem flying to Miami Wednesday. We lasted to 2:30 AM Iceland time so after a couple of bowls of delicious French Onion Soup we were headed for bed at 8:30 Central!😴

Christmas decorations came down yesterday and today’s project is prepping for cruise.

Thanks Roy for your triple duty and all who make the Daily a part of our Daily routine.

Wishes for all of you for a healthy New Year.

Rich congratulations on your beloved Georgia Dawgs one point victory over OSU!

image.jpeg.61c024accbdb139d9dfb39b9b76bd5cd.jpegimage.jpeg.75dea9348ab7d88308dc9be70c5878c7.jpegimage.jpeg.32a923184801f0b3ca9e46948dcdb12b.jpeg

When you have time away from your busy schedule... Would sure like your onion soup recipe!

• Like 17

Quiet celebration last night.  Early dinner with family who then went home.  DH went to bed and I continued to watch some of the celebrations on TV.  After midnight I watched old you tube videos of What’s My Line and Johnny Carson.  Some were hysterical!

Happy New Year to all!  Katherine 

• Like 23

39 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

When you have time away from your busy schedule... Would sure like your onion soup recipe!

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-french-onion-soup-in-the-slow-cooker-start-to-finish-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-215696

We also used a couple of bones left over from our Prime Rib dinner to enrich the broth!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 11

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  First of all Happy New Year to all our Daily family - my wish for you for the year ahead is good health and happiness, and maybe a cruise or two thrown in for good measure.  No hangovers here, as we only shared a small bottle of Frexinet at midnight.  I'd like to try both the drink of the day and the wine as well.

True to form before a cruise, I was up at the crack of dark this morning - with only 1 more sleep to go before we leave the "frozen tundra", the excitement builds.  Of course there are last minute things to be done - put fresh sheets on the bed, finish the laundry, vacuum the house and get it ready for our house sitter to move in tomorrow morning.  Because we have to be at the airport so early (4AM), I'm hoping to wear myself out so I can get to bed early as well and maybe(?) get some rest.  We'll see how that works.  LOL  I'm sure once we get to Ft Lauderdale, I'll be much more relaxed and will just glide onto the Rotterdam on Wednesday.

@Cat in my lap Happy Anniversary to the two of you!

This morning we're heading out to our local Denny's for a family breakfast with DH's son, daughter and son-in-law.  After that its back home where we'll finish off the household tasks and make some New Year phone calls to friends far away.   I like today's menu suggestion, but don't intend on doing much cooking today.  It was suggested yesterday that perhaps we should just order something for pick-up, so it's looking like we're going to be enjoying Popeye's chicken with cole slaw at the kitchen table tonight. And wine.

Speaking of wine, in case you think I'm doing it just for myself, well . . .

Bird.thumb.jpg.b35455d7664f55f47b41e9846ea6f346.jpg

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those dealing with hurt and loss.  Cheers to all with celebrations, and I know there are many as well.  I don't know that I'll be posting much during the next 3 weeks, but will try when the internet on the ship allows.  I'll try to read as much as I can, and know you'll all be in my heart.  Stay safe, be well till I return!

Smooth Sailing

Gerry

Safe travels  tomorrow and  Bon Voyage!I will miss your posts but I am glad you can escape  the cold for a while.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone and a very happy, healthy, and peaceful New Year. Today we will be celebrating Sam’s 87th birthday at my daughter’s home with the family. His actual birthday is January 2nd.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and for the people in Ukraine. On Friday, I  had a computer geek from Ukraine transfer my data to my new phone. He managed to get his parents out right after the war began. He, his wife, 2 young children, his parents and brother are all living here in the same house.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Happy Birthday wishes for Sam on his 87th birthday tomorrow!🎂

• Like 16

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Happy 87th birthday Sam.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 10

Good morning all and Happy New Year!

No hangovers here, I just had a glass of wine (saving the champagne for mimosas this morning).  I was asleep by 10:30 with the help of ear plugs and cranking up the sound machine.  The fireworks started here a little before 5pm and continued, as usual, to the wee hours of the morning.  The ear plugs and sound machine worked for the most part, until an exceptionally loud boom woke me up at 12:20.  Twice a year (the 4th of July and NYE) I always wish I was on a BHB those days....or anywhere but here 😉  

The meal sounds really good, but we had Italian last night.  Tonight will be steak, salad and french fries.  I would probably like the wine, I prefer Chardonnay a little oaky.  The drink sounds good too.  Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor the photos of Freemantle.  We'll be there for the first time on the Grand Australia next year (so glad I can finally say "next year") lol.

Today will be the only dry day this week, so DH and I will be dismantling the arbor that went over during the last wind storm.  It had a good life of 25 years, but I'll miss it.  

Usually I would be spending New Years Day taking down the Christmas decorations, but this year I'll be waiting until after DH's sister's visit and his delayed birthday party on Saturday.  I will take down the outdoor decorations though.  Next year we won't be putting anything up because we'll leave on January 2 for 3 months.

@Cat in my lapHappy Anniversary!!

@ger_77Bon Voyage!!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

🎈 HAPPY NEW YEAR! 🧨 

My New Year's wish for each and every Dailyite whether or not they post everyday, often, occasionally or just read this thread is for a safe, healthy 2023, and that they can travel on a BHB at least once in 2023, and more often if possible.

Last night, we made it to midnight, actually until almost 1 am.  We watched the ball drop in NYC at 11 pm, and then switched to a local Dallas-Fort Worth station to watch the Dallas celebration.  Dallas celebrates with fireworks coming out of the top of Reunion Tower near downtown.  (If you've seen pictures of the Dallas skyline, (think opening scenes of the TV show Dallas), Reunion Tower is the tall thin tower with the ball on top.  There was also a lighted display by a great many drones.  It was more spectacular than the ball drop in NYC, and lasted about 10 minutes.  We celebrated with two glasses of sparkling wine each, so no hangover today.  At midnight, it was "Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit, Happy New Year! to each other.  I forgot to say it on November 1, and that was a bad month, so I wasn't taking any chances last night.  🤣 😉

We had a few fireworks just before 11 pm, including some in our community, which is a no-no.  It was quiet after that until almost 1:30 am when someone decided to set off their remaining fireworks.  I slept in until almost 9 this morning, and DH is still asleep.

We have seen Ellis Island from Manhattan, but have never been there.  We were planning on going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on the canceled Princess world cruise when it overnighted in NYC.  That was the cruise that was canceled.

Today's quote sounds like a good way to relieve stress in really bad situations.

Chicken Parmesan Parmigiana is something we like and have every so often.  I make it in the air fryer to cut down on the fat, and we can't tell the difference.  Tonight, it will be ham, black eyed peas, and a cabbage recipe I found in the newspaper last week.  We need all the good luck we can get after last year.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We were in Freemantle and Perth in February 2000 on the P&O Oriana world cruise.  We enjoyed both cities.  I'll repost my pictures in a few minutes.

@rafinmd  Roy, thank you for continuing to do triple duty with your lists, Rich's @richwmn  Fleet/Daily, and Jacqui's @kazu  Bon Voyage thread.

@ger_77  Safe travels tomorrow, and I know you will have a wonderful cruise.  One of our neighbors made trivets out of wine corks.  I'll try to take a picture of the one he made us.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm glad the trick the lady told you worked and your thumb feels better.  Enjoy Grand Cayman.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I know your family was cheering for Michigan, but I'm happy TCU Horned Frogs won yesterday, and I'm pulling for them on January 9 to beat Georgia.   Thanks for posting the links for today's port.

@kochleffel  It's interesting how different churches handle services at Christmas and New Year's.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad the weather is cooperating and you can get outside to walk and visit.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope there are no more glitches, and you are back in your house soon.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, I know the waiting must be hard for both of you.  You, your DH and DSIL are all in my thoughts.

@mamaofami  Carol, enjoy Sam's 87th birthday celebration.

Today is the day all the Christmas decorations come down and are put away in the attic.  The outside lights will definitely need to be put away since there is a pretty good chance we'll get rain tomorrow.

If anyone is interested, here is the air fryer recipe for today's meal suggestion.  It's easy.

CHICKEN PARMESAN

2-4 c bread crumbs                            ¼ c chopped basil

grated Parmesan cheese                   2 T flour

olive oil                                                ½ c tomato puree

mozzarella                                          chicken breasts

salt and pepper                                   2 eggs

Place chicken breasts between two sheets of heavy plastic (resealable freezer bags work) on a solid, level surface.  Firmly pound chicken to a thickness of ½ inch.  Or with the knife blade parallel to the cutting board, slice the breasts in half horizontally.  Season chicken thoroughly with salt and pepper.

Beat eggs in a shallow bowl and set aside.  Mix bread crumbs and ½ cup Parmesan cheese in a separate bowl and set aside.

Place flour in a sifter or strainer, sprinkle over chicken breasts, evenly coating both sides.

Dip flour coated chicken breasts in beaten eggs, then place in breadcrumb mixture, pressing the crumbs into both sides. 

Spray one side of the chicken, and place chicken on a crisper tray oil side down.   Set the temperature to 350oF and the time to 8 minutes.  When finished, turn chicken over, and spray with oil, then top with sauce, basil and cheese.  Return to air fryer and, set the temperature to 350oF and the time to 7 minutes. Cook until the cheese is browned and bubbly and the chicken breasts are no longer pink in the center, approximately 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken.  The internal temperature should be at least 165oF.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5

We were in Freemantle and Perth in 2000 on P&O Oriana's world cruise.  DH took these pictures as I was still using a film camera back then.  He had one of the first digital cameras which he bought for the cruise.

When the ship docked, there were a lot of people at the terminal to greet us.  Many of those waiting for the ship had immigrated to Australia and were there to see relatives on the ship.  When we sailed late that night, the crew passed out streamers for the passengers to throw to their relatives.  Both sides held on to their end of the streamer until it broke as the ship moved away from the dock.

P2190283.thumb.JPG.a2f5ac7726b87903738443e52bbe21e0.JPG

This ship was too long to get in one shot.  It is used to transport sheep in the open cages on the decks.

P2190278.thumb.JPG.a46e11d9d7effb57078bf6d6b37a5f05.JPG

P2190280.thumb.JPG.8afaa4f3b7ae01205b3dcef16b78360d.JPG

The next pictures are from our morning walk around Freemantle.  There may be one or two repeats, but from a different angle.

P2190285.thumb.JPG.b2aa9eaed07ce921e838c16108a04f74.JPG

P2190286.thumb.JPG.bb61317a038d026e7f352ad2a34e8aff.JPG

P2190293.thumb.JPG.03f949c1202bb202363beeb3820f1d19.JPG

P2190291.thumb.JPG.2d4d02d898d22308aa22156ac40611e4.JPG

The Round House at the end of the street and a different view of the Round House

P2190288.thumb.JPG.f8cde2ce70697bffb6b25258374b1d94.JPG

P2190295.thumb.JPG.216cd44309f969cbe171adfcb6f3ff52.JPG

A local church

P2190299.thumb.JPG.4217d53b6d4e91877238261452bd4004.JPG

A monument to Vasco de Gama

P2190296.thumb.JPG.12bc03fdf49d84f13c4d816ae09c6db6.JPG

That afternoon we did a scenic tour of Perth, but we wished we'd known about the train from the port into Perth before we bought our tour tickets.  We were in the front seat on the top deck of the bus so had some good views.

P2200300.thumb.JPG.c71ed2b6a2fd45547869bde4a59ae7cd.JPG

P2200301.thumb.JPG.084a2f31e62925c8a122ffb9892dff4d.JPG

P2200302.thumb.JPG.82ed9b6b27d15589c12a4ca7837aca6a.JPG

Our one stop was in a park to see the black swans.

P2200303.thumb.JPG.4797aef4b0742083d03a9a5e5a9f43aa.JPG

P2200304.thumb.JPG.b56681f67cfe3cdefe9cbf3ee09b6961.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

Happy and Healthy New Year to all! No hangover here and I'll salute Ellis Island. I don't like the quote. I like the meal, but it'll be pork and sauerkraut for dinner tonight. I like the drink and pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Freemantle.

It's cloudy and in the 40's here. I woke up with a bit of an upset stomach from the late meal at midnight. I might even go back to bed. Otherwise, just a lazy day today. The Penguins are playing in the Winter Classic in Boston; I went to the very first one in Buffalo. It was magical, like being in a snow globe, but the drive back home was treacherous as nothing was done to the roads. I was never so glad to get home!

@rafinmd Thanks for starting us up while Rich is cruising.

@Cat in my lap Happy Anniversary! And have a great time on the World Cruise!

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon. 

@ger_77 Safe travels to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow and have a great cruise!

@Seasick Sailor I'm glad that letting the old blood out from the nail helped; I've heard of doing that but thankfully have never had to do it.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos from Freemantle.

@smitty34877 Congratulations on your 38th year.

@NextOne Enjoyed the delayed dinner with family. Go Steelers! 😉

@HAL Sailer Prayers for the family at this difficult time.

@jodi58 Good to hear that your appetite has finally improved.

@mamaofami Early Happy Birthday to Sam! 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos, thanks.

Prayers for those who need them and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Before Christmas, several of my Christian clergy friends were discussing what their churches would do on Christmas morning; in general it seems that people would rather attend church on Christmas eve than on Christmas morning, even if the morning is Sunday. One pastor said that his church would have a breakfast with hymns, but no actual church service. Well, for today, another announced that his church would be completely closed. It's not one that teaches temperance, if that has any bearing.

Usually we have one Saturday service at 4pm, and two Sunday services at 8:30am and 10:30am. Christmas weekend we had  THREE Sat services (1pm, 3pm, 5pm) and an online Christmas Day devotional. This weekend we had our usual Sat 4pm service and will only have one service today (New Year’s day) at 10:30am. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Happy New Year. There are no hangovers here and today starts my 38th sober year.Ellis Island is a fascinating  place to visit.We were able to look up all of our grandparents  when DH and I visited a few years back.The recipe looks good but we are making Italian wedding soup tonight.

@Seasick Sailor,Joy ,I am glad the pin trick worked.It relieved some of the pressure  I am sure.I loved your pictures  yesterday and hope Allen's  cough us improving.

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi, I always enjoy your pictures and commentary. 

I will venture  outside  again today with my trusty cane as it will be in the 50's.Enjoy the day everyone!

Congratulations on the sobriety.  Several of my siblings are right behind you at 34 and 33 years.  

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@dfish Yesterday you said, "We're having my famous chicken wings (famous in the family - slow cooked for 4-5 hours and basted with barbecue sauce often)." I've been craving those wings ever since! Would you be willing to share your recipe and time tested technique?

It is really very easy.  I buy the amount of chicken wings I want to make and an aluminum pan for each package of wings.  Then I buy one bottle per package of the barbecue sauce I like best.  Today I am using Sweet Baby Ray's original sauce.  I am cooking the wings at 275 F.  I put them in the oven and let them cook for an hour and then drained any juice that came out.  After the first hour I applied a liberal coating of barbecue sauce and they went back in the oven.  I will baste them and/or add more sauce every hour or so.  After several hours, at least 4, they are done.  I will turn the oven up to 350 and crisp them up a bit, but only for a very short time or they burn.  The long, slow cooking at a low temperature makes them so good.  The meat is falling off the bones good.  The sauce really has a chance to sink in and become a part of the wing, not just a coating.  

I once took these to a party and one woman had to literally drag her husband away from the pan of wings.  He was complaining as she did saying they were the best wings he'd ever had.  I've made them a New Year's tradition.  

@mamaofami Happy Birthday tomorrow to Sam!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.b43e6060fd17ef3bbbd4f21e290a6fa9.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

@aliaschiefThank you for the onion soup recipe.  I love onion soup.  Years ago I even had onion soup bowls, but when I saw that show about getting rid of things that I dont use, or dont bring me joy-I let them go.  But onion soup brings me joy, and this is a great easy, even I can do it recipe.  And the plain soup bowls wont mind if I use them.

@smitty34877several years behind you,  i celebrated my 32 years sober in November.  It has at least given me the common sense to know when to get off the roads on 12/31.  Before dark.

Well I was trying to make a new tradition of making sausage balls for New Years Day.  I really think that I should make a tradition of being on a cruise on NYE, but the fur babies need us home because of the loud noises.  Maybe the new tradition should be going out on New Years Day, and forget about baking something.

@dfish  Your wings sound fantastic.  I am a Bull's Eye girl myself, or a Carolina Mustard base.  I think I may mention this to DH and get his opinion.  With the reapplication of sauce, it should be a day I'm not working, but movie watching.  Hmmm maybe tomorrow?

• Like 21

Was up early this morning and the first words from my mouth concerned rabbits. I am taking no chances with the New Year.  Took the dogs out early. The weather today is very uncertain.... some sort of moisture due in but how much and what kind remains to be seen. The weather gurus are giving us mixed signals. What I do know is the passes will be a mess but since I am home it won't matter.

Have been to Freemantle/Perth years ago on the QE2 and hope to see it next year on the Grand Australia. I am a bit leery about so long a cruise by myself and will just have to wait and see what the year brings. At least it is something to look forward to at this time and should be an incentive to get my condo better organized. Dinner tonight will be chicken, spinach and black-eyed peas with some cornbread.

So.... of to clean up the kitchen good and get the dogs out several more times before whatever comes in terms of moisture arrives at the door. By the way, little Monty has finally recognized the set-up I arranged for him out of weather on the patio for what it is. He still thinks he will freeze to death outside but gives it a try.

I am going to be following along on all the cruises that I can and dream of next year.

Susan

• Like 22

Good morning and Happy New Year 2023!

Last night we celebrated with lobster tails and champagne. Yum.  I forgot to take a picture of the lobster. 
25CD9745-6E95-4C74-8122-7137D3EBA9AA.thumb.jpeg.726a4ee29f33e125c53a62b69ee25553.jpeg

I brought out the glasses we got on a cruise December 1999!  We had to wash them we hadn’t used them in so long. The fireworks and firecrackers started about 10:00 and got really crazy at midnight. It kept me and Blue up. So we slept in. Today I’m making Eggs Benedict with crispy prosciutto instead of Canadian bacon. 

I just read on the Future Cruise list that Dixie and her DH @summer slopeare on our Hawaii cruise!  

Have a great day everyone!  I’m off to read the Daily now. 

• Like 27

12 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy New Year 2023!

Last night we celebrated with lobster tails and champagne. Yum.  I forgot to take a picture of the lobster. 
25CD9745-6E95-4C74-8122-7137D3EBA9AA.thumb.jpeg.726a4ee29f33e125c53a62b69ee25553.jpeg

I brought out the glasses we got on a cruise December 1999!  We had to wash them we hadn’t used them in so long. The fireworks and firecrackers started about 10:00 and got really crazy at midnight. It kept me and Blue up. So we slept in. Today I’m making Eggs Benedict with crispy prosciutto instead of Canadian bacon. 

I just read on the Future Cruise list that Dixie and her DH @summer slopeare on our Hawaii cruise!  

Have a great day everyone!  I’m off to read the Daily now. 

Can’t wait to meet you. 

• Like 11