The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 1st, 2023

rafinmd

No hangover for me today as my celebration as it was juice but I dozed through most of New Years Eve only  becoming alert about 11:45 and having difficulty betting back to sleep afterwards.   I've been to Ellis Island, first opened January 1, 1892 a couple of times.  The VALIS quote has a sad ring of truth.  I visited Perth the first time in 2003 as the embarkation point for the "Nullabor" train to Sydney but have sad memories of it as the place where QM2's (and Crystal Serenity, Amsterdam and other) world cruises ended in 2020,  The meal is tempting but it will be ham for me tonight.  My alternative is Orange and Avacado Carousel and Caribbean  Jerk Chicken Breast as served on MS Ryndam New Years Day, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Rest In Peace Pope Benedict internment 5 Jan
RIP Barbara Walters 12/30
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days
ger_77 suddenly losing 3 friends
Scrapnana in hospital
Cruisin Terri still waiting on furniture movers
lindaler still living out of carryon
Seasick Sailor’s friends with covid and Allen with bad cold
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary Cat in My Lap
Last day of Kwanzaa
luvteaching DH back home
Some relief for Seasick Sailor finger
Welcome home (sort of)  Cruisin Terri after a restful cruise
3 days for ger_77 (Rotterdam 1/4 to 1/25)
2 days for Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam 1/3 to 5/12)
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23), crystalspin, Copper10-8,Vict0riann, Kazu, Av8rix, crystalspin, Copper10-8, Vict0riann, sailingdutchty (1/31)  (Koningsdam  to 1/7), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25),  indaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and garlictown (1/3), Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

7 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

@XBGuygreat wine line up last night.  Yes there was a bit of that Y'quem left.   Probably there was some enjoyed by some officers last night. 

We often leave unfinished wine on the table for staff.  

I once made that same statement on another Cruise Critic conversation, and somebody came back asking, "Do you do that instead of leaving a cash tip?"

NO!

• Like 11
  • Haha 8

New Years Eve was crazy for me and I never got around to posting a sunrise so here it is, taken December 31, 2013 during family time with my brother at a beach house near Port Canaveral, Florida:

dawn1231.jpg

Fast forward a year and a day to January 1, 2015 from MS Ryndam approaching Trujllo, Honduras on my only New Years Cruise:

dawn0101.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Before I head outside to take down the Christmas lights, here is s picture of the trivet our neighbor made from wine corks.  He edged the trivet with the names of various wines.

20230101_111033_HDR.thumb.jpg.dcff77c43ba71c358996857a738c3959.jpg

20230101_110649_(1).thumb.jpg.e2a37334440b0eb29298d22983764d94.jpg

It's another warm day with sun and a brisk south wind.

This may be bad juxtaposition after the wine corks, but congratulations Terry, @smitty34877 on 48 years sober.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

Here's a picture of the chicken wings just out of the oven.

IMG_2101.thumb.jpg.c2801c3471549a9a9aeeea2aba8c8217.jpg

This was after 4.5 hours.  No need to turn up the heat to brown them up.

Okay, @dfish, that's hardly fair. Yesterday, I was craving. Now, I'm salivating!!! (It's 130+/- miles from my place to yours. Gee, if I drive fast...)

But, seriously, YUM! And, thanks for sharing your recipe, technique, and photographic evidence. 

-Melisa 

• Like 20

Good afternoon, time for a quick check-in.  First of all, it was very early when I posted this morning and I have to apologize for neglecting to thank all of you for your kind words of condolence on our 3 losses.  It was a stressful day, but at the end of it, we realized there isn't anything we can do to change what has happened, and we must go on living our lives with the knowledge that these 3 people made significant impacts on them for us.  

We really feel bad for our DDIL, as she won't be able to return to Japan in time for the funeral, but after speaking with them today, it looks like the 4 of them may go for a couple of weeks to visit her relatives in May.

@mamaofamiplease wish Sam a Happy Birthday for me tomorrow!

@smitty34877 and @marshhawkcongratulations on your decades of sobriety; it's not easy and you are both to be commended for it!  I'd hug you if we were closer!

Well most of the tasks are completed - bedding changed, laundry done, (folded and put away, too, woo hoo!), vacuuming and dusting complete, and even the bathrooms are looking sparkly.   I did a final check of the suitcases, of course, throwing in a few more things (well there's room, so why not?), and changing the lists accordingly.  I now have to all the taxi company so they can have a car here for us at 3:30 tomorrow morning.  I do plan on calling it an early night, so we'll see if sleep is really in the cards for us or not.  There's always dozing on the plane, right?

Better go; it's time to head out to Popeyes to pick up dinner, then home, and get ready for a short winter's night.   Take care everyone and make the best of 2023!

Well for crying out loud - DH just called out to me from the other room "Ger, you're not going to believe this, but my tooth broke again."  Argh.  The denturist told him if it were to happen again, to use Crazy Glue . . . let us pray!  This is nuts!!!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were in Freemantle and Perth in 2000 on P&O Oriana's world cruise.  DH took these pictures as I was still using a film camera back then.  He had one of the first digital cameras which he bought for the cruise.

When the ship docked, there were a lot of people at the terminal to greet us.  Many of those waiting for the ship had immigrated to Australia and were there to see relatives on the ship.  When we sailed late that night, the crew passed out streamers for the passengers to throw to their relatives.  Both sides held on to their end of the streamer until it broke as the ship moved away from the dock.

P2190283.thumb.JPG.a2f5ac7726b87903738443e52bbe21e0.JPG

This ship was too long to get in one shot.  It is used to transport sheep in the open cages on the decks.

P2190278.thumb.JPG.a46e11d9d7effb57078bf6d6b37a5f05.JPG

P2190280.thumb.JPG.8afaa4f3b7ae01205b3dcef16b78360d.JPG

The next pictures are from our morning walk around Freemantle.  There may be one or two repeats, but from a different angle.

P2190285.thumb.JPG.b2aa9eaed07ce921e838c16108a04f74.JPG

P2190286.thumb.JPG.bb61317a038d026e7f352ad2a34e8aff.JPG

P2190293.thumb.JPG.03f949c1202bb202363beeb3820f1d19.JPG

P2190291.thumb.JPG.2d4d02d898d22308aa22156ac40611e4.JPG

The Round House at the end of the street and a different view of the Round House

P2190288.thumb.JPG.f8cde2ce70697bffb6b25258374b1d94.JPG

P2190295.thumb.JPG.216cd44309f969cbe171adfcb6f3ff52.JPG

A local church

P2190299.thumb.JPG.4217d53b6d4e91877238261452bd4004.JPG

A monument to Vasco de Gama

P2190296.thumb.JPG.12bc03fdf49d84f13c4d816ae09c6db6.JPG

That afternoon we did a scenic tour of Perth, but we wished we'd known about the train from the port into Perth before we bought our tour tickets.  We were in the front seat on the top deck of the bus so had some good views.

P2200300.thumb.JPG.c71ed2b6a2fd45547869bde4a59ae7cd.JPG

P2200301.thumb.JPG.084a2f31e62925c8a122ffb9892dff4d.JPG

P2200302.thumb.JPG.82ed9b6b27d15589c12a4ca7837aca6a.JPG

Our one stop was in a park to see the black swans.

P2200303.thumb.JPG.4797aef4b0742083d03a9a5e5a9f43aa.JPG

P2200304.thumb.JPG.b56681f67cfe3cdefe9cbf3ee09b6961.JPG

Lenda

Great photos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well I definitely made good use of our only sunny day this week.  DH and I got the fallen arbor dismantled, and then as what usually happens when I get out in the garden, I kept finding more things to do...and after a couple hours filled the yard waste to the brim and more.  Amazing how much more energy I have gardening than doing housework!  🤣

Finally having that mimosa, and it hits the spot.  Time to put the feet up! 

• Like 20

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@ger_77 Gerri I have a dento repair kit if the crazy glue fails.

Looking forward to meeting you on board! I've been keeping an eye on your tea!!

Joy

Thanks Joy!  I've already got the crazy glue in my 3-1-1 bag.  This is ridiculous, isn't it?  We're looking forward to meeting you & your DH as well.  See you soon!

• Like 15

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

Thanks Joy!  I've already got the crazy glue in my 3-1-1 bag.  This is ridiculous, isn't it?  We're looking forward to meeting you & your DH as well.  See you soon!

Tell your DH there's no stopping us from meeting! If need be, we will use the wine opener and pull his tooth!

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda  thank you but it is 38 years. It has been an amazing gift and I will always be grateful.

Terry, I knew it was 38 years, but didn't proofread well.  I was on my phone, and my fingers often hit the wrong key.  Either way, it's quite an accomplishment.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I've already got the crazy glue in my 3-1-1 bag. 

I always pack crazy glue now, after having to search it out in a Mallorcan hill village to put the frames of my glasses back together. (If you ever need to do this, it's called Crazy Glue in Spain.) Since then I've used it aboard ship to seal a cut on my hand that bled through bandages.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I always pack crazy glue now, after having to search it out in a Mallorcan hill village to put the frames of my glasses back together. (If you ever need to do this, it's called Crazy Glue in Spain.) Since then I've used it aboard ship to seal a cut on my hand that bled through bandages.

I used to use crazy glue to seal the cracks on my fingers when going through files and having the paper totally dry out my hands.  Thanks for the advice in Spain, though, I appreciate that!  I'm tempted to bring DH's dremel tool and a little eyeglass screw to fix the darn thing if it comes off on the ship!  LOL  We'll be having words with the denturist when we return home  . . . . .

• Like 17

For the third day, DH has worked on detailing the SUV.  He's pretty fastidious about our cars, so he wiped down the salt on the undercarriage especially the chrome tailpipes.  No salt allowed to sit and rust things out.

Quote from Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser:

"@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I know your family was cheering for Michigan, but I'm happy TCU Horned Frogs won yesterday, and I'm pulling for them on January 9 to beat Georgia.   Thanks for posting the links for today's port.

Yes, of course everyone rooted for Michigan (except perhaps our Buckeye DD), but I have to say before this weekend I'd never heard of TCU Horned Frogs.  What the heck is that?  Anyway I am rooting for Georgia to beat TCU like Debbie @dfishis!  Go Dawgs!!

• Like 9

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Okay, @dfish, that's hardly fair. Yesterday, I was craving. Now, I'm salivating!!! (It's 130+/- miles from my place to yours. Gee, if I drive fast...)

But, seriously, YUM! And, thanks for sharing your recipe, technique, and photographic evidence. 

-Melisa 

It can't be that far to the grocery store tomorrow.  Stock up.  They keep well in the fridge for several days - if they last that long!

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Well for crying out loud - DH just called out to me from the other room "Ger, you're not going to believe this, but my tooth broke again."  Argh.  The denturist told him if it were to happen again, to use Crazy Glue . . . let us pray!  This is nuts!!!

My sister the dental hygienist concurs with the Crazy Glue advice.  But, what is  your DH doing that he's breaking his teeth?

• Like 14

Had a lovely dinner in MDR tonight. By myself. Allen said he wanted sleep and was the same place I left him when I returned.

I have been chatting with Jacqui on her Konigsdam cruise. She's in Club Orange and mentioned the MDR was not up to par. That concerns me as we are on the K next month for the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. Our Maitre D on Rotterdam told me tonight there are only 4 service areas in K, where we have 9.. 

• Like 13

DH and I had a great walk in the bird sanctuary today.  Where there are never any birds, but here is our walk in the woods.

Starting the path-

image.thumb.jpeg.d4240557054c92d731fa119ec0e57ec6.jpeg

After the woods, you enter the fields, where when we are lucky we get to see deer, but not today.

image.thumb.jpeg.eef7cb2ba341cb766d1c9ff12e057bc6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0461a2fc2ebcb17319170a5568ca3727.jpeg

DH was looking like a woodland wanderer, I couldn't resist.

image.thumb.jpeg.3de671e51b8e6b9dd6c9a57caf6c2583.jpeg

And then the trail takes you into Pine woods, and back to the parking lot.  There were very few people in this part of the park today, and that is one reason we love this area to walk in.  

image.thumb.jpeg.7b6255e351c558c2654c5d323e1b54c9.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks  to @rafinmd Roy, for the Holland America Line Fleet locations and the Daily.

Thanks to those who post the food and beverage recipes, and to those who posted photos of Fremantle

We have been to Fremantle by ship, and by air.

Finally have finished reading both yesterday and today's "Daily".

Today it's a lovely sunny second day of 2023, temperature 23 C.

@Cat in my lap Congratulations on your Anniversary.

@ger_77  we send  our condolences for the losses you sadly mentioned  yesterday.

Best Wishes for a super cruise, hope your DH has no further dental problems.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

@dfishokay, so the first time it broke, he was eating a puff pastry . . . today he was literally sucking on a piece of chocolate.  *shaking my head*   As I said, when we return there's going to be a conversation with the denturist about how it was "repaired".  It's still holding now, so fingers crossed!

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@dfishokay, so the first time it broke, he was eating a puff pastry . . . today he was literally sucking on a piece of chocolate.  *shaking my head*   As I said, when we return there's going to be a conversation with the denturist about how it was "repaired".  It's still holding now, so fingers crossed!

I broke a tooth once eating Cheerios.  For goodness sake, babies with no teeth eat Cheerios just fine!  I'm with you on questioning the "repair".  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1