The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 1st, 2023

rafinmd

A very Happy and Blessed New Year to all here!

Also, a huge thank you to everyone who contributes to the wonder and greatness of this thread; especially to the consistent daily contributors. I always enjoy and learn something from the posts.

I am a grateful person. 😊

Safe travels ....

• Like 26

35 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  First of all Happy New Year to all our Daily family - my wish for you for the year ahead is good health and happiness, and maybe a cruise or two thrown in for good measure.  No hangovers here, as we only shared a small bottle of Frexinet at midnight.  I'd like to try both the drink of the day and the wine as well.

True to form before a cruise, I was up at the crack of dark this morning - with only 1 more sleep to go before we leave the "frozen tundra", the excitement builds.  Of course there are last minute things to be done - put fresh sheets on the bed, finish the laundry, vacuum the house and get it ready for our house sitter to move in tomorrow morning.  Because we have to be at the airport so early (4AM), I'm hoping to wear myself out so I can get to bed early as well and maybe(?) get some rest.  We'll see how that works.  LOL  I'm sure once we get to Ft Lauderdale, I'll be much more relaxed and will just glide onto the Rotterdam on Wednesday.

This morning we're heading out to our local Denny's for a family breakfast with DH's son, daughter and son-in-law.  After that its back home where we'll finish off the household tasks and make some New Year phone calls to friends far away.   I like today's menu suggestion, but don't intend on doing much cooking today.  It was suggested yesterday that perhaps we should just order something for pick-up, so it's looking like we're going to be enjoying Popeye's chicken with cole slaw at the kitchen table tonight. And wine.

Speaking of wine, in case you think I'm doing it just for myself, well . . .

Bird.thumb.jpg.b35455d7664f55f47b41e9846ea6f346.jpg

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those dealing with hurt and loss.  Cheers to all with celebrations, and I know there are many as well.  I don't know that I'll be posting much during the next 3 weeks, but will try when the internet on the ship allows.  I'll try to read as much as I can, and know you'll all be in my heart.  Stay safe, be well till I return!

Smooth Sailing

Gerry

Gerry, I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight before your early departure from home.  I know you two will have an amazing cruise!  Cheers!😎

33 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Rabbit! White Rabbit!

Happy New Year Daily Family!

For all who made resolutions, here's hoping you keep them for the month. 😉

Thank you Roy for being such a busy bee, 🐝 wearing lots of hats while Rich and Jacqui are sailing.

Today we will be due in Georgetown, Grand Cayman. It's a tender of course and the ship is overflowing with guests. We will take our time as we cancelled the tour when Allen got sick. It's a bummer because there are not that many tours offering wheelchair access.

The Collingsworth Singers are onboard with many church followers who have told us the music has been awesome and heart warming. We were not on the ticket so are unable to even sneak a peek. We love them and the Gaither family and most of the Gospel music.

A couple who sat next to us in Canneletto at breakfast yesterday saw my thumb and made a suggestion I thought would be very painful. I got a needle out of my travel sewing kit and poked it through the bed of my nail. It bled like crazy. I put a wrap around bandage on it and this morning it looks and feels amazing! Now not to get it caught again in the balcony door!

Prayers lifted on this first day of the new year. Wishing us all a year of health and happiness!

I'm happy to hear that couple's advice worked for you and the thumb feels better.  I never would have thought of that!  Please continue to enjoy your cruise with Allen.  Hugs to you both.🤗

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!🐇  And Happy 2023!🥂

Good morning friends!  Amazingly enough we were able to sleep right through midnight because it was so foggy and damp overnight.  Still is.  I guess everyone decided to wait and see what Sunday night holds weatherwise.  After this dense fog leaves we should see the sun this afternoon and 66F.  A few people may come out and take down lights with such a nice weather forecast.

No hangovers here, and a salute to Ellis Island.  The menu suggestion sounds good.  No comment on the quote, and no to the drink and wine.  Prayers for our Care list people 🙏 and "praise be" to the Celebration list folks.  Happy cruising my friends!  Thank you Graham @grapau27for Father David's sermon.  And Happy Anniversary to @Cat in my lap!🎉

The port for today is Fremantle, Western Australia, the port for Perth.  It is the third time for this port so below are the links to those dates to retrieve your photos.

and Oct. 3, 2022

In October 2017 we did our Australia circumnavigation cruise on Sun Princess.  We docked in Fremantle which is the port for Perth.  We didn't travel into Perth that day so if I ever get back there I will make a point of doing that.  Instead we enjoyed the lovely and interesting city of Fremantle.

Arrival in sunny Fremantle, Oct. 19, 2017.  The city provides this novel gangway for the use of their cruise ship arrivals.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLoREO_cl5ZWI_CLOUktRP8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561080

We first passed by the Public Transport station.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJLWkI3SSIAQL7_vCHcOqPb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561104

followed by this lovely church.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIHSna2LWaXkxI_COEouWzJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561107

There was a charming downtown area with a Visitor Center along with lots of shops and coffee bars00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8TZWTtxxs2qhqdqMdpWNB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561118

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLq342Nm3FlDvmtlHyo4UUI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561118

I always like to see the different styles of architecture in the places we visit.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIvxEgCiwTSdEFAoX0_UEDc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561134

I noticed a pattern with all the multi-colored striped buildings00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLCGLcPxBu-jFyptHELYSrT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561134

Next on our trek was the National and World Heritage Site called Fremantle Prison.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJOlxWdGaJ93en0OwL0TjR1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513605516

We decided not to visit the prison (I'm not a fan of razor wire).00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJvVt69STkg7yvCgNSAUk_E?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561164

Walking back towards the marina area we saw that Fremantle has its own brewery.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKCpRXNhnNPSs-1phBOLtFL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561318

Then we saw these two fellows working along the docks.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJekGTiCvw2DODd4lgAnyU6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561324

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLEG5d3fPFwkSPXjXIjOuMl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561330

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPQu-3zANMoM0QrtGmdgdG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632227938

A spot for the beach lovers to work on their tans.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-QCcTrgN1y-hjfAuvcFd3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561353

Next was an interesting tunnel and viewing spot.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJUiqIIrNK2fHbaHpDoObnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561361

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL1lW-QEDjaYplI-sYudT53?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561355

We took the stairs to the top for a look-see.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKtI0NU7YDtz1AJi7coSnH7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513605521

This was the water side00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIZSXvVr4Owgs84l0YR-qSn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561385

But look at the city side!  It's an art installation.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLa_SEh2tG4xA3dnt4pYZKe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561397

An explanation00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJi13sejI1lNS90qqHTEINv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561385

One of the painters at work.  I can't imagine how difficult it was to get every yellow stripe exactly right so it would look the way it did.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2zdgeuHF5ichu__6ucEMM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513561396

A fun day in Fremantle!

I hope everyone is not sick and tired of seeing these same photos for a third time!  😁  Have a great January 1st!

Thank you Sandi for your  Father David mention.

I love all your photos which are extremely helpful in seeing what the port is like.

Happy new year to you and all your lovely family.

Graham.

ny-269.gif

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Happy New Year! 🎉 Lots of fireworks going off at midnight but it was short lived. It was raining. 

Volunteering at church this weekend. Since we don’t have an 8:30am service today, the Cel Arts team is going out to breakfast (those that are not sleeping in 😉).

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

• Like 22

Rabbit, rabbit. (When I say this to the Junior Cat, she looks around as if asking "Where? Where?")

No hangover -- only two glasses of champagne last night and those were fairly early.

The meal suggestion would be possible, but if making at home would require a vegan substitute for either the chicken or the cheese. I'm looking for a recipe combining squash (!), black-eyed peas, and greens, but the squash is the only one of the three that I actually have.

88568458_NotRH.thumb.jpg.b63552a552894d7532af8a25981b01e4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 15

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!

1334339164_New-Year-SMS-2022-Messages-Wishes--Happy-New-Year-2022-1.jpg.5587362620b791a8fd14ffc44e3e3ff0.jpg

No hangovers here as our beverages were ice water and ice water.  We were in bed well before midnight and enjoyed a good night's sleep.  

1 hour ago, Cat in my lap said:

Happy 2023!  Today is our anniversary- 46 years!

Best wishes to all!

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.5b25cce3b3e8026a47425ec832f91123.jpg

@ger_77 Wishing you a wonderful cruise.  Safe travels.

I looked up food traditions in Michigan for New Year's and didn't find anything.  I learned the pork and sauerkraut one when I lived in Ohio and actually had pork and sauerkraut a few times on New Year's.  DB and DSIL are coming over this afternoon for football and food.  Maybe some Farkle.  We shall see.  

Today's meal sounds good to me!   I'd just leave off the pasta part due to carbs and sub some vegetables.   This first recipe looks easy enough and has step by step picture instructions.  I like the idea of making it in a cast iron skillet so it can go directly into the oven and you only have one pan to clean.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/easy-chicken-parmesan-parmigiana/

193897964_ChickenParm1.thumb.jpg.fe2c9a539243a9088d6fa09a0f49a721.jpg

The recipes were all fairly similar so not a lot of different ones to post.   But, I did want to post this one by Bobby Flay.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/chicken-parmigiana-recipe-1952359

604225277_ChickenParm4.thumb.jpeg.cdd07377282f1003173748cb200cfa70.jpeg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day and a great start to 2023.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

6 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Since we don’t have an 8:30am service today, the Cel Arts team is going out to breakfast

Before Christmas, several of my Christian clergy friends were discussing what their churches would do on Christmas morning; in general it seems that people would rather attend church on Christmas eve than on Christmas morning, even if the morning is Sunday. One pastor said that his church would have a breakfast with hymns, but no actual church service. Well, for today, another announced that his church would be completely closed. It's not one that teaches temperance, if that has any bearing.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Happy New Year. There are no hangovers here and today starts my 38th sober year.Ellis Island is a fascinating  place to visit.We were able to look up all of our grandparents  when DH and I visited a few years back.The recipe looks good but we are making Italian wedding soup tonight.

@Seasick Sailor,Joy ,I am glad the pin trick worked.It relieved some of the pressure  I am sure.I loved your pictures  yesterday and hope Allen's  cough us improving.

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi, I always enjoy your pictures and commentary. 

I will venture  outside  again today with my trusty cane as it will be in the 50's.Enjoy the day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

As I mentioned yesterday I had a front row seat to fireworks in my backyard. The neighbors over fireworked themselves last night. Below is a picture of one fireworks and the aftermath this AM. A little too much leftover smoke 😳

6E846194-A885-4F7A-89D0-D70118803B19.thumb.jpeg.1f6adc1122afb96d9b94bce2f369f430.jpeg

And now the after effects

3D3F91C3-4113-4EAD-A629-A2CDD56ADB9C.thumb.jpeg.ef8a4346c4b1c3ec1c24f776a69d838e.jpeg

Actually this is fog right now. One reason why HAL pulled out of sailing from Tampa Bay

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

As I mentioned yesterday I had a front row seat to fireworks in my backyard. The neighbors over fireworked themselves last night. Below is a picture of one fireworks and the aftermath this AM. A little too much leftover smoke 😳

6E846194-A885-4F7A-89D0-D70118803B19.thumb.jpeg.1f6adc1122afb96d9b94bce2f369f430.jpeg

And now the after effects

3D3F91C3-4113-4EAD-A629-A2CDD56ADB9C.thumb.jpeg.ef8a4346c4b1c3ec1c24f776a69d838e.jpeg

Actually this is fog right now. One reason why HAL pulled out of sailing from Tampa Bay

Foggy here in Punta Gorda also but I got my bike ride in, had to take off my glasses as they were coated with the mist.

• Like 20

9 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Foggy here in Punta Gorda also but I got my bike ride in, had to take off my glasses as they were coated with the mist.

I walked my usual three miles in the heavy fog this am in the neighborhood and had to drop bread crumbs to find my way back home 😀 

• Like 7
  • Haha 16

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit! Happy New Year to all! I made it to midnight, snapped my fingers, then went to bed. SO much excitement!😀

Off to church this morning, then driving to the mountains for our delayed Christmas dinner with family, now that their ice has melted, temporarily. Then home in time so that DS can watch the Ravens play tonight. Go Baltimore!!

• Like 22

Rabbit, rabbit, White rabbit.

A very Happy New Year to all of you!

@Cat in my lapha105.jpg

When we drove home late yesterday afternoon, I noticed fog in the lower lying areas,  in the hollers, and now it is every where, major fog.    We replaced the home phone yesterday, as it got fried last week with the power surge.  I asked DH to get us a phone system with two phones so that we could put one in the bedroom.  If there is an emergency and someone calls (elderly DMIL) we would actually hear the phone.  

The fireworks were actually pretty quiet last night, but enough to scare Feral Fawn, she hid in one of the covered cats beds on the porch last night.  Stray Bubbles got injured last week, but I managed to get some Bacitracin cream on his ear yesterday.  His new favorite place is sleeping in a self made grass bed  in the front of the house.  Hopefully when i get dressed, I will find him in his spot, and get more meds on him.  

The indoor cats just hung around with us in the den, still watching our Death in Paradise marathon.  We stopped watching at quarter of 12 last night, watched the countdown, then changed  the channels about 10times, realized that there really was not anything we wanted to watch.  No NA wine last night, we bought some, but decided to have it with dinner tonight.  We made no snacks,  except a couple of slices of cheese and a few chocolate balls.  No wild party here. Last year we didn't even make it to midnight, this year we made it to 1.  

My mom used to tell me that what you do on New Years day, you will do all year.  Well, laundry is on the list, and a walk.  I hope that I will make walking a daily thing (not just walking the neighbor's dog,) but actually out in the woods walk, and laundry?  Well that's a no brainer.  But we have not tried the washing machine since the power surge.  This morning will be the test.

Have a wonderful day!

9d9ce6584e3ac0532ca7cd20bfc28be4.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Greetings from Hilton Head where it is rainy and foggy.

Happy New Year everyone.

Sorry for being absent for a few days.   They have been busy ones.  A few glitches, but things are moving along and we should be living in our house soon.  Hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2023.

@Cat in my lap Happy 46th Anniversary.

Terri

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

I rang in the New Year at midnight for the first time in decades....well sorta....it was only because of one of those "wake up in the middle of the night" night's....😂

Right now.....I am debating on putting Christmas decorations away today....or using a much better procrastination excuse........Twelfth Night....!!!

2023.jpg

• Like 23

Happy New Year! It sounds like all of Florida is fogged in this morning as it pretty dense outside. Hope the trend is to burn off quickly and that it won’t be a problem flying to Miami Wednesday. We lasted to 2:30 AM Iceland time so after a couple of bowls of delicious French Onion Soup we were headed for bed at 8:30 Central!😴

Christmas decorations came down yesterday and today’s project is prepping for cruise.

Thanks Roy for your triple duty and all who make the Daily a part of our Daily routine.

Wishes for all of you for a healthy New Year.

Rich congratulations on your beloved Georgia Dawgs one point victory over OSU!

image.jpeg.61c024accbdb139d9dfb39b9b76bd5cd.jpegimage.jpeg.75dea9348ab7d88308dc9be70c5878c7.jpegimage.jpeg.32a923184801f0b3ca9e46948dcdb12b.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 12

🎉Happy New Year, Dailyites!🎉

@Cat in my lap💒

Enjoy celebrating your anniversary!💒

@dfish Yesterday you said, "We're having my famous chicken wings (famous in the family - slow cooked for 4-5 hours and basted with barbecue sauce often)." I've been craving those wings ever since! Would you be willing to share your recipe and time tested technique?

-Melisa

P.S., a note to all: We still await 'the expected call' about DSIL. Thank you for your prayer, care, and words of comfort during these tough hours...

-M.

Edited by HAL Sailer
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Happy New Year. There are no hangovers here and today starts my 38th sober year.Ellis Island is a fascinating  place to visit.We were able to look up all of our grandparents  when DH and I visited a few years back.The recipe looks good but we are making Italian wedding soup tonight.

@Seasick Sailor,Joy ,I am glad the pin trick worked.It relieved some of the pressure  I am sure.I loved your pictures  yesterday and hope Allen's  cough us improving.

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi, I always enjoy your pictures and commentary. 

I will venture  outside  again today with my trusty cane as it will be in the 50's.Enjoy the day everyone!

Congratulations on your 38th year. My dearest friend celebrated her 30th on her husband's (now passed) birthday.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Happy New Year to all!!

No hangovers here.   I was in bed by 10:00.🙂.  Hubby toughed it out till midnight. I hope everyone has a great year, especially good health.

My appetite is finally coming back post Covid so I will make a Prime rib today.

Have a great day, everyone!!

• Like 23