New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

3 hours ago, cwayne said:

Silversea also has this but then their cruise fares are about twice as expensive as Celebrity. It all depends on your price point

Not always.  I felt Celebrity had a bit of a niche, not quite luxury, but not standard either.  The last few years I've cruised just Celebrity, now I will do a bit more shopping around before I decide.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

This charge for room service is really disappointing. Meanwhile, over at Celebrity rival Oceania, they just expanded their room service menu and also allow all passenger classes to order room service from the main dining room menu during MDR hours. All at no extra charge. 

I don’t think Oceania is really a rival to Celebrity. There is definitely crossover from Retreat passengers but your average Celebrity cruiser is not comparing Celebrity to Oceania. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 8:39 PM, mnocket said:

I've come accept that the mainstream cruise lines are in the midst of resetting their customer experience.  I'm guessing their calculus is that is it worth pissing off and losing some older (i.e. loyal) customers in order to establish a new service expectation for newer/younger customers.  I'm afraid it's becoming an irresistible force - accept it or look elsewhere.  Personally, I've decided to move upscale and take fewer cruises, but on luxury lines.  I've also started to mix in more land-based vacations as well.  I'm saddened, but not really angry, that mainstream cruise lines have decided on this direction.  They have to do what they think is best for them.......  and so do I.

Edit:  lol just noticed the next thread on the Celebrity board...

Like I said - it's becoming an irresistible force in the industry.

I must admit my thinking is the same. I would rather go upscale and a cruise less than have the downgraded experience Celebrity now offers.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, prmssk said:

I don’t think Oceania is really a rival to Celebrity. There is definitely crossover from Retreat passengers but your average Celebrity cruiser is not comparing Celebrity to Oceania. 

I am.  Oceania has the same or better pricing for the cruises I checked for E class nonsuites.  Oceania also has much much better itineraries.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry to ask this question and I apologize if it's already been answered (I admittedly haven't read through 11 pages of answers). If $9.95 is charge for a service charge, are they charging a gratuity on that? Isn't a service charge the same thing? Are they really charging a gratuity for service?!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I'm sorry to ask this question and I apologize if it's already been answered (I admittedly haven't read through 11 pages of answers). If $9.95 is charge for a service charge, are they charging a gratuity on that? Isn't a service charge the same thing? Are they really charging a gratuity for service?!!!

As mentioned in the title and other posts, yes they are charging the gratuity...

Edited by dlh015

4 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

You're question makes perfect sense.  The service charge would be the cruise line's, the gratuity would go to the employees.

Harris

Denver, CO

21 hours ago, prmssk said:

5 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I am.  Oceania has the same or better pricing for the cruises I checked for E class nonsuites.  Oceania also has much much better itineraries.

I also would consider myself your average Celebrity cruiser (mainly OV cabins), and I am definitely looking at Oceania, in fact I am booked on an O cruise this year.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 6:44 PM, LMaxwell said:

You can be certain of this; no line makes these decisions and fends for themselves.  

Soon Holland America and Princess will charge for room service, because Celebrity is getting away with it. 

Then Celebrity and Princess will charge for more than 1 app in specialty dining and MDR, because Holland is getting away with it. 

Princess will move to once a day room attendants, and Holland and Celebrity will do the same. 

Celebrity has created an absolutely absurd soda package price, so Holland and Princess will also. 

Holland America has eliminated any lobster tail in the MDR, on any night, without an upcharge; so Princess and Celebrity will soon follow. 

Princess charges for their medallion that connects to the app you use; so better believe Celebrity and Holland are looking at "wearables" for an upcharge. Why give it to you on your phone free if you can get someone to pay $10 for a bracelet? 

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 

there is no extra charge for additional app in MDR on HAL... only in specialty dining like pinacle grill 

Just now, gilboman said:

there is no extra charge for additional app in MDR on HAL... only in specialty dining like pinacle grill 

Holland America has already transitioned some of their classic, everyday available apps to for a charge only. Shrimp Cocktail, for example, is an upcharge all days on the menu.  Now that I think about it, it MAY have been available on Gala night at no charge.  

2 minutes ago, Spurs Fans said:

Interesting that my app is still showing no charge for room service except for the $4.95 late night on our 8/6 Summit 12 day cruise.  We are in a deluxe family room at the rear of the ship. 

It's not showing for my May Eclipse cruise either.  And someone currently on the Edge reported this week that it wasn't showing for them (and they hadn't been charged for room service).  I don't think this has fully rolled out.

3 minutes ago, prmssk said:

It's not showing for my May Eclipse cruise either.  And someone currently on the Edge reported this week that it wasn't showing for them (and they hadn't been charged for room service).  I don't think this has fully rolled out.

Well, it's showing on my Equinox cruise for next week. For regular and Aqua pax...not for suite pax...

and late night charge for all levels...

6 minutes ago, prmssk said:

It will by mid-January

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-line-doubles-room-service-fees/amp/

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

So basically $120 for ten days to eat breakfast on the balcony.  Booked a fare that includes $400 OBC, so this seems like a decent use of that. The rest goes to gym/spa.  

Yes, you should use up 30% of the value of your OBC to get what has been included in your multi-thousand dollar fare for 35 years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, you should use up 30% of the value of your OBC to get what has been included in your multi-thousand dollar fare for 35 years

Yes you should if you want it.  Lots of things cost money now that used to be included in the price of something (e.g bag fees on airlines, estimates on home improvement work, etc).  As the consumer the choice is not to pay or not pay, it's to patronize the business that charges the fee or not.  If I don't like Delta's bag fee, I either don't check bags or fly Southwest.  If I have to have bags, and Delta is the only airline flying the route, I pay the fee.  If I don't like Celebrity's room service fee, and free room service is the reason I cruise, I shop for a different cruise line that doesn't have the fee (BTW those are going to be far more than $10.00 a day more expensive).  Otherwise, I find an alternative way to get fed. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Yes you should if you want it.  Lots of things cost money now that used to be included in the price of something (e.g bag fees on airlines, estimates on home improvement work, etc).  As the consumer the choice is not to pay or not pay, it's to patronize the business that charges the fee or not.  If I don't like Delta's bag fee, I either don't check bags or fly Southwest.  If I have to have bags, and Delta is the only airline flying the route, I pay the fee.  If I don't like Celebrity's room service fee, and free room service is the reason I cruise, I shop for a different cruise line that doesn't have the fee (BTW those are going to be far more than $10.00 a day more expensive).  Otherwise, I find an alternative way to get fed. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Give me an interesting thought.