Lobster in MDR now extra cost?

dreamer321

During the last evening chic night of our Constellation TA cruise in November, our MDR waiter brought an extra lobster tail for everyone at our table that ordered a lobster tail.  None of us asked for it (in fact I forgot to ask because I was out of practice from not having cruised since the start of the pandemic), but we gladly accepted it.  It was a pleasant surprise and I presumed it to be a shrewd move by our experienced waiter since we all would be receiving our cruise surveys in a couple of days.  I guess I won't be seeing that anymore.

30 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

During the last evening chic night of our Constellation TA cruise in November, our MDR waiter brought an extra lobster tail for everyone at our table that ordered a lobster tail.  None of us asked for it (in fact I forgot to ask because I was out of practice from not having cruised since the start of the pandemic), but we gladly accepted it.

I was on the cruise right before yours on Connie and had the same experience. 

Actually I was on BTBs; the first cruise I went with the Beef Wellington, but truthfully it was not good. The pastry was soggy and the duxelle did not taste right.  The lobster was much better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

I guess when I order my lamb I can order a second meal of lobster so DH can have 2. 

Lamb with a side of lobster is a favorite of mine.  My version of surf and turf.

47 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

It looks as of now there is at least no extra charge in Blu…

I also do not see any mention of a charge in Luminae.

11 hours ago, rj59 said:

. I was a long-time HAL devotee, 

I am a fellow HAL refugee.

Loved the classic style HAL cruise.   Sitting on the promenade deck sipping on a lemonade.   Enjoying some hot appetizers while listening to a dance combo before dinner and a show after dinner.

All gone.  I wouldn't even know how to do dinner on HAL anymore.  Orange???

And so we went to Celerity which seemed to have many of the elements we enjoy.   There are some of us that are still willing to pay a little more for a little better experience.    Hopefully there is still a cruise market for us.  

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Lamb with a side of lobster is a favorite of mine.  My version of surf and turf.

I also do not see any mention of a charge in Luminae.

When I ordered filet and lobster in Blu last month I was told they could only bring me one of them at a time and asked which I wanted first. 

Just had our first Celebrity cruise in December. We are booked on 2 more. We loved our cruise. One comment both my husband and I said was we love how they didn’t nickel and dime you. We’ll see how Feb. cruise goes!!!  We do like to eat in buffet on nights when we have been out all day and also felt it was the best buffet in over 14 cruises. I’m sure we won’t starve though. 🤣😉

On 1/3/2023 at 10:29 PM, RichYak said:

The new business model is to charge so much for suites that anything else they do doesn’t matter. There’s no risk losing pleb balcony or aqua customers. Nickel and dime them while they can. 

They should really just make it a suite only cruise line.

23 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

They should really just make it a suite only cruise line.

I facetiously said as much to my husband. The folks who can afford suites are not as affected by inflation as others. Many are very loyal to the brand. By making the experience unpalatable (or less palatable) for the non-suite dwellers, X can reconfigure the smaller cabins into fewer large ones, replace the MDR with smaller restaurants catering to each level of suite, charge a premium, yada yada yada...

said it facetiously, but maybe I was actually on to something? 😜😜😜

The escalation of nickel and diming is the new normal for most cruise lines. Look at the new room service charge that Celebrity has now instigated to see this. I remember when the airline industry started charging for checked luggage, there was outrage, but people still fly, and this is now a major profit center on airline's bottom line and has became the new normal.

We were on the HAL Oosterdam last August and so much is now extra charge. The jumbo shrimp cocktail was $8.50, still free on X, the surf and turf on dressy night was $30 upcharge, and a lobster tail alone was $15. I am not a fan of cruise ship lobster, so it was not a big deal for us. HAL has really escalated the new normal of nickel and diming.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

Just now, mahdnc said:

You mean a menu with prices? 👀

They should charge for bread.  I don't eat carbs.  Why am I paying for all this bread to be made daily and wasted.  $5 is average in my town for a basket of bread.  Charge in the dining room also. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

They should charge for bread.  I don't eat carbs.  Why am I paying for all this bread to be made daily and wasted.  $5 is average in my town for a basket of bread.  Charge in the dining room also. 

stop suggesting ideas Celebrity may like. LOL

• Haha 2

We disembarked from Equinox on 12/26. The lobster tail that I was served on the first serving was so small that it literally was only 2 forkfuls. DH lobster tail was at least 2 1/2x the size. I make shrimp at home that are larger!  If I received as a first serving a lobster tail like that as my dinner I would be most unhappy (not to say still hungry for dinner)! Also if I were charged $16.95 + gratuity for that sized lobster tail I'd be downright angry!

• Like 2