HAL To Focus on Longer Cruise Itineraries

DCThunder

That's really interesting. Thank for sharing that article. 

I just booked my first ever pleasure cruise for Alaska. I'm really looking forward to it, but I think longer cruises to more unusual ports would be great. 

One of the reasons I never booked a cruise before is they all seemed to be going to the same places in the Caribbean. I spent a LOT of time in the Caribbean when I was in the Navy. Sorry, but I'm really not a fan. Almost every island I visited was expensive with crime and poverty everywhere. And the people were not at all nice which I really don't like. 

I recently watched a video about multiple ports where most cruise passengers don't even bother getting off the ship. Wow, that speaks volumes. 

One island I did like was Curacao and this article suggests HAL will be going there. Cool!

Once I retire, I would be very interested in the longer cruises. 

Way to go, Holland America. Let all the megaships fight each other and cut costs for short Caribbean cruises while your ships venture out!

Edited by Colorado Klutch
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting, @DCThunder.  I think it’s a great decision for HAL to stay overnight at embarkation ports.  With the airlines and airports in such disarray, it lessens the odds of people missing the sailing.  They used to stay overnight when they sailed out of Venice and it made for a relaxing start to the cruise.

10 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

One island I did like was Curacao and this article suggests HAL will be going there. Cool!

Just wanted to mention that HAL has been going to Curaçao for years. 

• Like 1

Wonderful news! Now we have corporate confirmation of what so many of us wanted to hear! Love the idea of more overnights and hope this policy will ensure the future of Zaandam and Volendam  for the foreseeable future. We are excited and have several of the longer cruises booked

• Like 3

It would seem to me that if HAL can become an "expedition lite" type line it could get into a nice market.  Let the Lindblad/Nat Geo and Hurtigruten do the small ship, heavy duty and expensive expedition cruises, but if HAL can get a clientele for the type of cruises described in this article (as well as some bread & butter Caribbean itineraries), it could be a very profitable business model.

I agree with the poster above who said that you can only go to St. Thomas, Antigua, and St. Lucia so many times before they get boring.  Let the Monstrosity of the Seas sail there with 6000 drunks.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

Have people seen this article from The Points Guys about HAL shifting focus to longer cruises?

Shifting focus: This cruise line is betting bigger on long cruises and unusual itineraries - The Points Guy

Makes sense. HAL needs to chart its own course; away from CCL's emphasis on greater efficiency and more onboard spending.

The problem is that HAL's newer ships may already be too large for many off-the-beat destinations. All the best to HAL!

• Like 1

Great article and great news...Thanks for sharing.

Her Majesty and I were just discussing and looking for longer and more interesting itineraries with HAL since we have retired.  This is just what we wanted.

(I have no more interest in seeing the Caribbean again and 7 nights to anywhere sounds so short now....and it was not very long again when we thought that was a long time to be on a ship..no more..so glad HAL is agreeing with where we are now in travel......time to book)

• Like 1

Fabulous article .Thanks so much for posting it   . We definitely like the longer cruises  that HAL offers . We would love to see a yearly round trip  from San Diego to Alaska   ;which also could be a 14 to 21 day itinerary .San Diego has so much to offer pre & post cruises as well as  the best weather 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

I dearly wish that they'd bring back the Atlantic Adventure, transatlantic round trip.  What a wonderful cruise!

We would truly love that kind of cruise with a week to 2 weeks  between each cruise to see some things in Europe 

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

I dearly wish that they'd bring back the Atlantic Adventure, transatlantic round trip.  What a wonderful cruise!

That was one of the options mentioned in a survey I received last month.  I would definitely enjoy that cruise.   I love rim cruises as opposed to circumnavigating at the equator which so many world cruises do.

• Like 1

HAL has always done longer, more unique itineraries. (Grand Asia, Grand Africa, Grand SA, etc. With options for segments). They tried using Maasdam as an excursion type vessel but for some reason it didn't take (and then later of course the shut down and sale of ship). The bread and butter is Alaska and Carribean and will probably be the focus of the Pinnacle ships and a couple of smaller ships. 

While the current economic environment will focus on bread and butter, and the immediate future of new ship orders is on hold for HAL, wouldn't it be great to build new Signature Class-size ships (include the Dutch Cafe) to continue the tradition of long ocean liner sailings. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, albingirl said:

Could you provide more details on the itinerary? I don’t recall the Atlantic Adventure.

Or really going out on a limb - HAL could bring back the festival transatlantic crossings from the 1960s where they actually promoted their Dutch heritage. Or maybe special crossings to time with the annual Tulip Festival. It seems that (other than a very vague Orange Party and the Dutch Cafe ) HAL has chosen to forget its Dutch roots.

Edited by RD64
  • Like 2

I too am thrilled to hear this. Many times it has been suggested here that HAL could make much better use of their history of sailing around the world (not just on world cruises but on longer explorations of specific areas).  I am delighted to see that corporate seems to see that as a way forward.

If HAL is to have a niche, this one makes GREAT sense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

👍

I would really be interested in these extended voyages also......give me ships with a balcony cabin that isn't called "Vista Suite" and I'm there!! (Vista and Signature Class Ships for me please!)  Use these trips to reinstate higher quality meals, enrichment and service...wine stewards!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Four weeks in Alaska?

I’m so in on that. Just gotta find lodging for His Nibs, our spoiled golden retriever.

We  can take the 4 week golden retriever excursion. 🤣

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

A couple of Amsterdam size ships will help a lot.

Would be nice but rather have a designated Tamarind than the 1 night pop up in PG. (And a Dutch Cafe would add a cherry on top.) Not sure there is space without affecting (ruin) the Prominade walking deck (like they did on Pinnacle class). 

The Prinsedam used to do longer sailings- and because she was small she got into unique ports. We were on her when she became the biggest ship to dock in a port in Iceland (forget which one, but was the captain ever excited!) and was the first cruise ship ever to go to Killybegs in Ireland.

Sandy

• Like 2