Celebrity Price Gouging! - Drink package upgrade

DVDmedic

When I first inquired, with my travel agent, about upgrading my alcohol package from Classic (which was part of the ‘all inclusive’ booking) to Premium was $206 CAD funds.  That was about 5 weeks ago.  Now, less than 30 days before the cruise, it’s jumped 40% to $287 CAD.  The response that I received from Celebrity was “Celebrity Cruises is constantly reviewing our competitive environment and this adjustment positions us in line with our competitors.”  Sounds like lots of words to say we’re gouging you.  It’s left me very disappointed in what was my favourite cruise line, as I’m about to level up to a Select member of the Captains Club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DVDmedic said:

When I first inquired, with my travel agent, about upgrading my alcohol package from Classic (which was part of the ‘all inclusive’ booking) to Premium was $206 CAD funds.  That was about 5 weeks ago.  Now, less than 30 days before the cruise, it’s jumped 40% to $287 CAD.  The response that I received from Celebrity was “Celebrity Cruises is constantly reviewing our competitive environment and this adjustment positions us in line with our competitors.”  Sounds like lots of words to say we’re gouging you.  It’s left me very disappointed in what was my favourite cruise line, as I’m about to level up to a Select member of the Captains Club.

What hasn't gone up in the last 24 months! 🤬

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Price gouging or Inflation, either way prices of everything has increased.  
Our Home insurance is up 32%.  

Our flight to Barcelona in October, booked in February was $1400 pp in Business Class.  Booked flights yesterday to Rome Business Class was $4500-8000 per person.  We booked Premium Economy for $1800 pp.  

Hotel we stayed in last year same time was $189 this year $247. 
The steak that was 8.99 a lb last year is $12.99 on sale.
The list goes on.

I’m not pleased that the drink package and upgraded prices have increased but then again I’m not happy with the price of most everything, essentials and luxuries increasing.  

• Like 11

2 hours ago, DVDmedic said:

I thought that you only paid the difference between the two packages and that seems to have remained the same.  I am showing the difference as $20 per day.  Is that not the case now?   

17 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

I thought that you only paid the difference between the two packages and that seems to have remained the same.  I am showing the difference as $20 per day.  Is that not the case now?   

The difference between the packages has also gone up. It used to be about a US $15 + gratuity difference although some who called in seemed to snag the old, old rate of about $10 +gratuity per day (all these rates are before any loyalty discounts).

I have been sitting around scratching my head and not getting in the fray of all the complaints about price increases. 

I have one question:   Have any of the complainers been to the grocery store, wine shop or even McDonald's in the last 3 month?

Couple Examples pop into my mind - 

Haagan Dazs -   You can no longer buy a 1/2 gallon.   Instead of raising price to over $20 the largest size is now a $8.95 for 28 ounces (.87quart).

McDonalds -  I have to admit it has been years.   I took my grandson and for the two of us cost about $30.  

California Wine Tasting -   Good Article  prices up 44% since Pandemic.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/wine/article/Sonoma-Wine-tasting-17396326.php

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

For the folks that read the boards regularly (daily or every few days) there was about a 4 or 5 day window when someone spotted the increase in prices in the FAQs before the change actually took place. I was able to upgrade at the old price saving about $36 for the upgrade for the week. Sometimes it pays to read the boards regularly.  There was also the premium WiFi upgrade that was $9.99 per package rather than per day and several people jumped on it and have reported back that the upgrade was honored.  CruiseCritic was where I found out about the Solo Sailor promo last summer that literally saved me hundreds off the price of my cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DVDmedic said:

That is because you are upgrading from the Old Classic package to the New (more expensive) Premium?  If you would have upgraded to the Old Premium package, you would have been fine.

Edited by jagoffee

This whole thing is very frustrating.  I’m a first responder living on disability. It takes a lot of saving and planning to go on a cruise.  And the generosity of friends and family.  And my disability payments certain having been going up.  Same as they were 3 years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

That is because you are upgrading from the Old Classic package to the New (more expensive) Premium?  If you would have upgraded to the Old Premium package, you would have been fine.

They changed the packages?

The prices are what they are, I decide if it's worth the extra costs now on many things. with my home heating gone up over 90% since last year, electricity more than dbl.  Im still good with the prices on celebrity, any type of vacation has gone up dramatically, I went to an All Inclusive a few months ago and it was over 40% higher than I paid for just last year.  Go to grocery store, etc....list goes on.  Im okay with the price increases and xtra costs being put in, I'll have a great cruise always do on celebrity.    My main issue is gonna be plane flights.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

Hahaha!

um, businesses can't get people to work, crime is on the rise - flash mobs stealing everything in sight....the cost of everything is waaay more than it was 1-2 years ago.

I'm not sure where you are located, but inflation is real!

Inflation hasn’t gone up 40% in 5 weeks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

The prices are what they are, I decide if it's worth the extra costs now on many things. with my home heating gone up over 90% since last year, electricity more than dbl.  Im still good with the prices on celebrity, any type of vacation has gone up dramatically, I went to an All Inclusive a few months ago and it was over 40% higher than I paid for just last year.  Go to grocery store, etc....list goes on.  Im okay with the price increases and xtra costs being put in, I'll have a great cruise always do on celebrity.    My main issue is gonna be plane flights.  

I understand there are price increases for various reasons.  But 40% isn’t acceptable.  It’s just gouging.  My disability income doesn’t have the leeway for such drastic changes.  It’s been the same for 3 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prmssk said:

The difference between the packages has also gone up. It used to be about a US $15 + gratuity difference although some who called in seemed to snag the old, old rate of about $10 +gratuity per day (all these rates are before any loyalty discounts).

So next cruise I need to keep track if $20 each per day is worth it.  Most likely not.  We have upgraded on this cruise and we are in a Sky Suite in May so right now don't need to consider it until the one after that.   Going to try to keep track but you know that's hard. 

4 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

So next cruise I need to keep track if $20 each per day is worth it.  Most likely not.  We have upgraded on this cruise and we are in a Sky Suite in May so right now don't need to consider it until the one after that.   Going to try to keep track but you know that's hard. 

Don't forget to keep track of the drinks, alcohol and non-alcohol,  in the Retreat Lounge.  Those would be drinks you would be having in another venue if you were not in a suite with the DBP.   I average about four to six bottles of soda/water/Vitamin Water Zero or more a day.  Those add up quickly.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, DVDmedic said:

This whole thing is very frustrating.  I’m a first responder living on disability. It takes a lot of saving and planning to go on a cruise.  And the generosity of friends and family.  And my disability payments certain having been going up.  Same as they were 3 years ago.

Maybe you will be OK sticking with the Classic package?  

I'm sure someone here will know this: whats the last day someone can upgrade on board (assuming it is prorated)?  Can a cruiser pay the difference if they want a more expensive drink? And a third alternative, if you can't upgrade per drink: just buy yourself a more expensive drink a couple of days. You might end up saving a few hundred dollars. Have a great cruise.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Don't forget to keep track of the drinks, alcohol and non-alcohol,  in the Retreat Lounge.  Those would be drinks you would be having in another venue if you were not in a suite with the DBP.   I average about four to six bottles of soda/water/Vitamin Water Zero or more a day.  Those add up quickly.   

I highly doubt we will be less than the classic.  I am good with the bottled water and the coffees and sodas we would drink are included in them.  Right now we are booked on the Ascent in just an IV with Classic AI.   At this point not thinking it would be worth it to upgrade for a couple of martinis a day.  We booked the Exhale package which is no longer available at this point.  The extra OBC made that a no brainer for us.  Have to see going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1