Current Captains onboard.

Tilly20

I know that they list which Captain is sailing when in the magazine, my overly tidy husband has already recycled our copy! Does anyone have a copy handy? Particularly interested in Iona in February 2023. Thank you 😊 

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I never understand why anyone is interested in who the Captain is.  As long as they know what they are doing, and I presume they all do, what difference do they make?

Personally love hearing the navigational updates and the jokes they tend to make even if they are the same. I like Robert Camby with the way he thanks the crew, he tends to talk more in depth when doing his PA and usually hear at least a 6PM update on the progress etc during the sea days, he also makes time to speak to guests same with Neil Turnball also doing the same as Camby which for me adds to the experience. but having had Luka Vojvoda take over from Neil his announcements are vague have not heard him do a 6PM announcement on sea days and don't really see him around the ship.   

• Like 4

7 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Personally love hearing the navigational updates and the jokes they tend to make even if they are the same. I like Robert Camby with the way he thanks the crew, he tends to talk more in depth when doing his PA and usually hear at least a 6PM update on the progress etc during the sea days, 

I also enjoyed the 6pm updates by Robert Camby .

My favourite part was the "Thought For The Day "  . . . 

. . . If you are asleep in bed and dream about a toilet  . . Don't use it :classic_unsure:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I never understand why anyone is interested in who the Captain is.  As long as they know what they are doing, and I presume they all do, what difference do they make?

I would have to say it does make a difference to our enjoyment and experience. As some have said some Captains are not seen and only address the guests a few time a cruise and with very short to the point information. Our favourite is Neil Turnball, I know not everyone's cup of tea but he is always informative and adds a few jokes which really makes us smile. Robert Camby also excellent, on a previous cruise last year on Ventura, they changed Captains half way through, what a difference, with the second Captain we got 6pm announcements and an all together better people person. They are transporting people and if they aren't people people there are plenty of container ships out there!

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Plugtheleak said:

I would have to say it does make a difference to our enjoyment and experience. As some have said some Captains are not seen and only address the guests a few time a cruise and with very short to the point information. Our favourite is Neil Turnball, I know not everyone's cup of tea but he is always informative and adds a few jokes which really makes us smile. Robert Camby also excellent, on a previous cruise last year on Ventura, they changed Captains half way through, what a difference, with the second Captain we got 6pm announcements and an all together better people person. They are transporting people and if they aren't people people there are plenty of container ships out there!

Absolutely agree about the two Captains you mention. 
Communication to passengers plays a huge part in a successful cruise (altho safety obviously rises above that). If you are told what is going on with the midday or 6pm announcements then you are a lot more accepting of any issues that have arisen.

• Like 7

I'm not too bothered about who the captain is, but I agree that the character of the captain, and his/her interpersonal skills does have a bearing on the whole ambience of the cruise.

On our last Princess cruise, the captain was very visible, and at one point was seen serving at the ice cream kiosk, which was a first for me !

• Like 5

13 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Not hitting things is my number one priority. Like you, as long as they are qualified, not bothered. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm not too bothered about who the captain is, but I agree that the character of the captain, and his/her interpersonal skills does have a bearing on the whole ambience of the cruise.

On our last Princess cruise, the captain was very visible, and at one point was seen serving at the ice cream kiosk, which was a first for me !

I'm surprised you had never had ice cream before. If you sail with NCL,or RC there are self service machines, unlike that P&O. The Ice cream does seem to be getting warmer. Penny pinching .It was much colder in the old days🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Plugtheleak said:

Neil Turnbull actually drove us demented.  His jokes were just awful and so samey.  The only one who I thought really did make a difference was Captain Box on Artemis, I think, who gave us a potted history whilst going through the Bosphorus into the BlackSea.  Really interesting.  Apart from him, I'd rather they didn't tell these stupid jokes.  Announcements are of course totally different.

Edited by jeanlyon

52 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I'm surprised you had never had ice cream before. If you sail with NCL,or RC there are self service machines, unlike that P&O. The Ice cream does seem to be getting warmer. Penny pinching .It was much colder in the old days🤣

Oh, the ice cream wasn't the first, I was referring to the fact that it was the first time I had seen the captain doing the serving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Neil Turnbull actually drove us demented.  His jokes were just awful and so samey.  The only one who I thought really did make a difference was Captain Box on Artemis, I think, who gave us a potted history whilst going through the Bosphorus into the BlackSea.  Really interesting.  Apart from him, I'd rather they didn't tell these stupid jokes.  Announcements are of course totally different.

We also enjoy the informative information given at midday and 6.00pm including the maritime tails and history by either the captain or officers from the bridge. But we have to agree with your sentiments about Captain Turnbull. Not only were his jokes dire, but being told how far we were from Deryshire everyday was extremely tiresome.

• Like 2

I like Paul Brown - seen him around the ship numerous times, and Neil Oliver does manage to rope him into dancing on deck etc.

I think Arvia has a great team of senior offices in that respect.

I was also fond of Charlie Carr who retired in 2016ish. Had the pleasure of him on a number of cruises. He'd always comment that the engineers were 'just putting the final turns in the elastic band' before setting off, then invite your to get yourself a G&T and enjoy the evening. One morning we were late in and he commented that one of the hamsters was not running in his wheel as quickly as he should have been!

These casual and slightly humorous interactions really help reduce tensions if a ship is late etc. Their appearance around the ship and interactions with guests really sets them apart from some other captains. I will be really honest the whole attitude of the ships crew comes down right from the top. If you think the ships crew are all miserable, I bet you won't see the captain, or hear from him much.

Over on Princess, I'm a big fan of Michelle Tuvo who has been the Captain on Sky Princess for the past couple of summers.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Oh, the ice cream wasn't the first, I was referring to the fact that it was the first time I had seen the captain doing the serving.

Let's hope that doesn't become a regular P&O penny pinching tactic, job swap and multi tasking. I don't mind the captain serving the ice cream, but am a little uneasy about the housekeeping team driving the ship.......The butler did it🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I like Paul Brown - seen him around the ship numerous times, and Neil Oliver does manage to rope him into dancing on deck etc.

I agree with that statement entirely. Whenever we have been on a cruise where he was the Captain if there was a problem he was always there to sort it out and was seen regularly walking around the ship and always spoke and had a smile. Neil Oliver we have known since our first cruise on P&Os Aurora maiden voyage in 2000 when we were lucky to share a dinner table in MDR for majority of evenings and IMO is a fantastic Cruise Director as was and now Entertainments Manager.

On the other hand we have been lucky enough to cruise with one Captain only once and all wanted was to walk around the ship thinking how handsome he was and have all the ladies "swoon" over him and loved the sound of his own voice at the noon announcements. Not fair to name him especially at the moment as Arvia has enough problems 😉. Just hope he isnt Captain when we are on Arvia in September.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wonder if anyone remembers Captain Chris Sample from the '90s on Victoria .. his announcement in the evening when the sun was setting would be, "Ladies and Gentlemen I urge you to come up on deck as there is a 85% chance to see the green flash"  The green flash was created as the sun just dropped below the horizon and occasionally would set off a green flash as it sank out of sight. Happy memories and a brilliant Captain and known by all as Captain Green Flash.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Palaceman said:

Not only were his jokes dire, but being told how far we were from Deryshire everyday was extremely tiresome.

But it's very interesting if you're from Derbyshire!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Port out said:

Wonder if anyone remembers Captain Chris Sample from the '90s on Victoria .. his announcement in the evening when the sun was setting would be, "Ladies and Gentlemen I urge you to come up on deck as there is a 85% chance to see the green flash"  The green flash was created as the sun just dropped below the horizon and occasionally would set off a green flash as it sank out of sight. Happy memories and a brilliant Captain and known by all as Captain Green Flash.

Yes, I remember him and his green flash…….

Never did see it 🤣