IS VACCINE STATUS REQUIRED FOR AIR TRAVEL FROM CANADA TO US YES OR NO???????

aragorn764

I can honestly say that I super confused about this, the CDC website says one thing and then the president says something else. My question is simple, we fly from Canada (Toronto) to FLL in two weeks, is a proof of vaccination needed yes or no????

Yes as a non US resident you will need to provide the airline with a copy of your vaccination status.  At least on United you need to complete their Travel Ready Center.  Also be prepared to show a copy of your vaccination status at the counter as sometimes they ask, sometime they don't.  Flying today uploaded everything yesterday.

Yes you do require proof of vaccination.  Checked the GOC Travel Advisory site but did not see this noted. However, on the weekend on our local TV it was reported that U.S. Government (TSA) extended the vaccine mandate for international travelling into the USA until at least April 10, 2023. 

3 hours ago, aragorn764 said:

I can honestly say that I super confused about this, the CDC website says one thing and then the president says something else. My question is simple, we fly from Canada (Toronto) to FLL in two weeks, is a proof of vaccination needed yes or no????

When did the President say that non US residents did not require vaccination to enter the US?

When checking in you will have to complete an attestation that you have been fully vaccinated or provide details on any exemption.  You are not asked to provide the vaccination record... I wouldn't care to speculate on the consequences of being caught completing a false/unsupported attestation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, d9704011 said:

When checking in you will have to complete an attestation that you have been fully vaccinated or provide details on any exemption.  You are not asked to provide the vaccination record... I wouldn't care to speculate on the consequences of being caught completing a false/unsupported attestation.

Unfortunately, that requirement varies.  When we checked in at the counter for our last flight, in November from YUL to Fort Lauderdale, even though we had already attested to being vaccinated when doing the online checkin, the Air Canada agent definitely asked to see our vaccination cards.  Bring them along just in case.....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Unfortunately, that requirement varies.  When we checked in at the counter for our last flight, in November from YUL to Fort Lauderdale, even though we had already attested to being vaccinated when doing the online checkin, the Air Canada agent definitely asked to see our vaccination cards.  Bring them along just in case.....

Yes; I meant to say that you are not asked to upload your vaccination record during the on-line check in.  As you correctly stated... bring your record(s) with you as you may be asked for them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, strobellayjam said:

We were required to provide proof of vaccination on our recent flight on West Jet into the United States. 

I used WestJet to the US last week.  Was asked to confirm that I was vaccinated as part of online checkin but was not asked to update proof.   Was not asked at US customs in Calgary on the connection.  

However I agree with others, you should bring along proof of vaccination should someone ask for it.  Vaccination is a legal requirement for Canadians to enter the US.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

I have the VaxiCode app on my phone with all of my shots. Would that be enough?

As it's the official app of the Quebec government for storing and providing proof of vaccination, it should suffice.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:51 AM, lx200gps said:

same route in Nov. for us and not asked but we had them with us of cousre

We just flew back (two days ago)  from Buenos Aires through Atlanta and we had to prove our Vaccine status just to transit in Atlanta.

We also had to prove to the airline flying there in late December.  Toronto to Atlanta to Buenos Aires.

So, YES, you must be fully vaccinated to transit or land in the USA or face testing and potential quarantine.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, broberts said:

When did the President say that non US residents did not require vaccination to enter the US?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/10/25/a-proclamation-on-advancing-the-safe-resumption-of-global-travel-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Here is the link to the proclamation.  He said it back in Oct 2021, I am sure it has been updated since.  The picture of a screen shot on the CBP site with the covid updates.  

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/coronavirus

image.png

On 1/9/2023 at 11:29 AM, Magicat said:

Yes as a non US resident you will need to provide the airline with a copy of your vaccination status.  At least on United you need to complete their Travel Ready Center.  Also be prepared to show a copy of your vaccination status at the counter as sometimes they ask, sometime they don't.  Flying today uploaded everything yesterday.

An update, we did have to show proof of vaccination at the check in counter at United. last week.

22 minutes ago, Magicat said:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/10/25/a-proclamation-on-advancing-the-safe-resumption-of-global-travel-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Here is the link to the proclamation.  He said it back in Oct 2021, I am sure it has been updated since.  The picture of a screen shot on the CBP site with the covid updates.  

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/coronavirus

image.png

On 1/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, aragorn764 said:

You should probably reread the proclamation. It in no way disagrees with the CDC Travel Alert. 

• Like 1

We uploaded our vaccine status in the Delta FlyReady portion of the app.  This was simply dates and vaccine type.  No QR Code or scanned vaccine proof.  We did read that we also were required to have electronic and/or paper proof of our vaccine status, but we were never asked to produce this.

Be prepared.  Upload to the airline site, and always carry the paper / electronic (both) proof with you for anywhere in the world that you travel.

If we have learned anything in this last 3 years it is that anything can change in a moments notice and so just go prepared.

Flying WestJet YEG - MCO this past Saturday, we didn't need to provide proof or even document dates. We needed to sign the attestation that we were vaccinated and would present certification upon request.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/proof-of-covid-19-vaccination-for-noncitizen-nonimmigrants-passenger-disclosure-and-attestation.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjX073K1NP8AhVMrYkEHZ7rD04QFnoECBkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1zzEaR-tNP8f0KeO9PpLVu

Edited by ctlyf

On 1/19/2023 at 5:42 AM, ctlyf said:

Flying WestJet YEG - MCO this past Saturday, we didn't need to provide proof or even document dates. We needed to sign the attestation that we were vaccinated and would present certification upon request.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/proof-of-covid-19-vaccination-for-noncitizen-nonimmigrants-passenger-disclosure-and-attestation.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjX073K1NP8AhVMrYkEHZ7rD04QFnoECBkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1zzEaR-tNP8f0KeO9PpLVu

A couple of different airline staffers have told me that they don’t like to actually view the cards because if there’s a problem, they will have to attest that they reviewed the card & deemed that it was valid. If they just mark a box that says, ‘pax said they’re vaccinated’, they don’t have to prove anything. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

A couple of different airline staffers have told me that they don’t like to actually view the cards because if there’s a problem, they will have to attest that they reviewed the card & deemed that it was valid. If they just mark a box that says, ‘pax said they’re vaccinated’, they don’t have to prove anything. 

This is MY opinion.

The airline staffer don't have to prove anything, but the passenger may.  You may get asked to prove by US customs and immigration.  The airlines don't want to be the vaccine police, not in the past or now, but they were plagued with that for many months...

The US government wants every non US citizen to attest that they are vaccinated but they don't want to clog the airline, or customs and immigration with the whole verification process now.  So, instead, they are asking you to attest - legally - that you are vaccinated.  If they happen to check you and you cannot prove that you are vaccinated, then you would be subject to whatever legal prosecution and/or fines they want to throw at you.  

Again - my opinion.  

Always carry proof and if you are not vaccinated and you are transiting through or going to the USA, and you are playing the system, then you risk whatever you get.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

The airline staffer don't have to prove anything, but the passenger may. 

Agree 100%.  What would be the point of having passengers provide an attestation then having 'airline staffers' supposedly validating the attestation?  Ridiculous!