Is it weird having a reserved cabana on the YC pool deck on Meraviglia?

mushroom

Do you feel obligated to be using the cabana on the Yacht Club Pool Deck if you're in a Royal Suite?  I understand that there are only three and of the three, two are prereserved for Royal Suites.  This leaves only one for other YC members.  Can you "share" with other family members who are also in YC? It seems a shame to leave this valuable real estate unused during long days at sea. 

The struggle is real.....   You choose the Royal Suite, you get the perks.  Don't really think it's transferable (in which case sign me up!)  In my mind it's like saying that if I don't want to use my thermal spa perks I can pass them on to someone who doesn't have them.🤷‍♀️

If you tell your butler that you have friends/family in the Yacht Club, it shouldn't be a problem to let them use it.

However, I wouldn't expect the butler to serve food/drinks to the friends/family if the actual Royal Suite guests aren't there.

If there happens to be a butler around, a butler might fill requests but if the actual Royal Suite guests are there, a butler will definitely fill requests.

When we were on Meraviglia the two reserved cabanas weren’t ever in use. We managed to snag the third one at a rate of $35 for the day. It was money well spent and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I wonder why those traveling in the RS who aren’t going to use the cabana for the day don’t just release them so others can rent them if they choose. 

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I wonder why those traveling in the RS who aren’t going to use the cabana for the day don’t just release them so others can rent them if they choose.

When we had the Meraviglia RS, even on port days after an excursion, we would sometimes pop upstairs to enjoy the cabana and the rest of the sundeck. It may have seemed empty for most of the day but knowing that we could always go up there and have it waiting for us was a plus.  

If I was asked to release the cabana for others to use, I would've politely (but firmly) declined. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If you tell your butler that you have friends/family in the Yacht Club, it shouldn't be a problem to let them use it.

However, I wouldn't expect the butler to serve food/drinks to the friends/family if the actual Royal Suite guests aren't there.

If there happens to be a butler around, a butler might fill requests but if the actual Royal Suite guests are there, a butler will definitely fill requests.

I see no problem in YC resident friends/family using it. Speak to the butler, and make it clear they are to have full service as you would have. They will receive same, without doubt! 😉

8 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If I was asked to release the cabana for others to use, I would've politely (but firmly) declined. 

I don’t think a butler or pool attendant would ever ask a RS guest to release their cabana. I was thinking more so that the guest might release it on their own if they weren’t going to use it. 

Like you, we wouldn’t release it bc it’s a great perk!  A shame there’s only 3 on Meraviglia but the Seaside class ships have plenty… they aren’t as shaded though 

10 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The butlers defenitely serve food/drinks to everybody in the YC.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

The butlers defenitely serve food/drinks to everybody in the YC.

I meant the "special" items that are delivered to cabana users, not the items from the pool grill. Our butler once brought us (4) gelato but he had to be discreet so that other Yacht Club guests wouldn't request the same.

• Like 1

Let’s be clear…..when you book RS it has a price that is set apart from other YC cabins and experience.  There are a list of benefits you are buying with that booking including the extra real estate in the cabin and balcony.  The guaranteed cabana is part of that set of perks.  Would it be reasonable for other people to think they should have use of the lounge in my suite, because I am in another part of the ship….no.  So here’s the deal….there will always be classes of benefits based on the fare/experience booked.  I know how much of a premium I am paying for RS, just like you might know how much of a premium you are paying for a YC experience compared to someone who only booked (and paid for) an Aurea suite and experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I meant the "special" items that are delivered to cabana users, not the items from the pool grill. Our butler once brought us (4) gelato but he had to be discreet so that other Yacht Club guests wouldn't request the same.

I agree with you, they will serve food/drinks but maybe not special items not included in the YC.      

21 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I wonder why those traveling in the RS who aren’t going to use the cabana for the day don’t just release them so others can rent them if they choose. 

Royal & Owners have them as a perk for booking, and on a whim have options open. Why give away our options should we turn around on the dock and decide to return to the ship. We are booking a pergola for the week on Holland America for $399 extra (not a perk when booking the Pinnacle suite). One has the option to use it or not, but we both have the option if the sun or shade or ship changes direction, did we foresee such an event? And then it is not germ free all the time either. No one really knows the route of norovirus or covid (lasting on fomites) and DW being a germophobe even sprays me with lysol. One of her 12 suitcases is devoted to cleaning supplies and cleans after the steward leaves the cabin.

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Royal & Owners have them as a perk for booking, and on a whim have options open. Why give away our options should we turn around on the dock and decide to return to the ship.

Excellent point. Clearly, I wasn’t thinking while musing out loud (on cruise critic) 😇.  Didn’t mean to spark controversy at the notion. Having taken the 30 foot view, it makes complete sense. 

On 1/12/2023 at 6:45 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Royal & Owners have them as a perk for booking, and on a whim have options open. Why give away our options should we turn around on the dock and decide to return to the ship. We are booking a pergola for the week on Holland America for $399 extra (not a perk when booking the Pinnacle suite). One has the option to use it or not, but we both have the option if the sun or shade or ship changes direction, did we foresee such an event? And then it is not germ free all the time either. No one really knows the route of norovirus or covid (lasting on fomites) and DW being a germophobe even sprays me with lysol. One of her 12 suitcases is devoted to cleaning supplies and cleans after the steward leaves the cabin.

We loved getting the cabana on Holland.  Loved the cabana guys that got you breakfast, lunch, drinks.. whatever... 

• Thanks 1

Everything about the YC is a class system with the YC being at the high end.  It makes perfect sense to extend some additional amenities to those in the most expensive suites just like it makes sense to limit the YC to only those who pay to be in the YC.

• Like 1

We've had them on Seaside and Mera.  Mera only has three starboard side.  First one the best on Mera.  We were told and had first one first day but the couple in the upgraded bid to other RS got there before us other days and along with everything else they did demanded the first one.

Third one had three couples all week.  Running staff around, smoking, swearing and talking loud non stop.

They do have a small cooler in there with beers, sparkling wine, water, etc.

• Like 1

We sailed Meraviglia last when cruising was picking up after Covid.

It was our third time on Meraviglia and we had RS each time.

This time,  we were aware that we may not be able to have cabana available to us. Others had reported that they were offered it only on a daily basis.

I went to Concierge first day and asked to reserve cabana.He asked what days we wanted as he had others who wanted the  cabana for certain days.

I was surprised and replied, “ we want it every day, the same one”

He then penciled us in for each day on the schedule.

Before there was always a card posted in cabana that read

Reserved For 11010 or 11011.

And as Dexdd reported, we also had group in last cabana, playing loud music, swearing and constant smoking of cigars. Yelling for drink service and ordering pool staff around. 

YC Director came up on second day and had a chat with them. Music turned down but the rest continued. Felt sorry for the staff.

Edited by phissy