I wonder what QE will be like in Aussie waters?

bazzaw

16 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

Are you getting 50% FCC due to missing Sounds, Dunedin and Bayof Islands??  We have been offered OBC

Yes, that’s the reason, but I suspect the 50% offer will come for you if and when the Captain announces no Bay of Islands.  We were also granted $100 OBC after no Fiordland and  Dunedin.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Off topic - We very rarely go down the coast but will do a bit of digging on the motel and restaurant. We went to Rockpool last September (one of the few places open on a Monday night) - it was pretty average though at least we didn't have a Neil Perry salad like on QF. If in Singapore I thoroughly recommend Odette (went there for the significant birthday last year) - superb 3 star Michelin. 

Back on topic -

Where is the new cruise you have booked? I have just sent a query to Silversea for a Muse cruise in December.

Sounds wonderful.  We have sailed on Spirit, but not Muse yet.  
At this stage, we have booked a similar QE cruise, with Queensland instead of Tasmania.  Hoping the hull, by that stage, will allow Fiordland and Dunedin.  Bay of Islands is certainly beautiful, but we’ve spent considerable time there on golfing holidays, so we are probably among only a handful of passengers not plunged into despair by the recent cancellation.  This time, for us the cruise itself became the destination, as they say.

Rockpool was very enjoyable when we dined there, but that was a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately though, it was the evening after Quay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mareblu said:

In order:  Wellington, Lyttleton (for Christchurch), Tauranga, and Auckland.  Missed:  Fiordland cruise-by, Dunedin and Bay of Islands.  I can tell you in advance that the Captain will make “an unexpected, special announcement” after attempting to have the hull cleaned off Tauranga.  The cleaning will be unsuccessful .  You’ll have an overnight in Auckland, departing about 11am next day.  There could, if course, be a miracle, but call me sceptical😂

Seriously though, we really enjoyed the cruise, even with these major disappointments.  Hope it’s the same for you.

I think they will be content to finish the season with a dirty bum. With the final NZ cruise skipping the fiords & BOI, that is probably something they will take care of in Singapore, as it looks like they have a couple of weeks in drydock there from 17th March.

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

I think they will be content to finish the season with a dirty bum. With the final NZ cruise skipping the fiords & BOI, that is probably something they will take care of in Singapore, as it looks like they have a couple of weeks in drydock there from 17th March.

Exactly my thoughts.  The serial misleading, bordering on deception, though, is seriously damaging Cunard’s reputation.  A bad business plan all round.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Exactly my thoughts.  The serial misleading, bordering on deception, though, is seriously damaging Cunard’s reputation.  A bad business plan all round.

Agree with you, not something I thought Cunard would do

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Viking is being rather coy on its many missed NZ ports. 

I’m sure there will be comments on CC Viking threads.  I’ll check later when I have a chance, because I’m curious.  Big Viking news this morning is the evacuation of 600 passengers at White Bay because if now extinguished fire.  Beautiful ship with elegant decor, like all the fleet.  Food was terrible, sadly.  Many, I’m sure, will disagree.

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

I don't know how content they are with the situation. Seems they have little choice - they've made a not inconsiderable effort off the coast of Tauranga, I think it was, to get the hull cleaned by divers but the adverse weather conditions halted it. The people on that cruise were far from happy with being inconvenienced by the time taken for the cleaning.

If they were to do another cleaning job in Australia/NZ, they'd have to cancel a cruise, assuming they could even find a dock which could accomodate the job. People would not be happy with that.

I also wonder if people, particularly from overseas, are mistakenly thinking it's like cruising through the Norwegian fjords where you spend the whole day (or more) sailing through them. In the NZ sounds you just pop into them and turn around and go out again - they're not huge. And from what people say, there's a huge chance of not being able to go in due to poor weather.

16 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't know how content they are with the situation. Seems they have little choice - they've made a not inconsiderable effort off the coast of Tauranga, I think it was, to get the hull cleaned by divers but the adverse weather conditions halted it. The people on that cruise were far from happy with being inconvenienced by the time taken for the cleaning.

If they were to do another cleaning job in Australia/NZ, they'd have to cancel a cruise, assuming they could even find a dock which could accomodate the job. People would not be happy with that.

I also wonder if people, particularly from overseas, are mistakenly thinking it's like cruising through the Norwegian fjords where you spend the whole day (or more) sailing through them. In the NZ sounds you just pop into them and turn around and go out again - they're not huge. And from what people say, there's a huge chance of not being able to go in due to poor weather.

I agree. It makes no sense to do it now for the sake of the next cruise, which will already be disrupted whether they try to finish the butt scraping or not. She will get a full clean and new anti-fouling paint in 6 weeks' time, and no other itineraries between now and then require a clean butt.

For the season, I think it was only 2 cruises that skipped the fiords due to weather. If I was to miss out due to weather, I would accept it to be outside of anyone's control. That isn't the case for operational causes, including the condition of the ship.

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

I’m sure there will be comments on CC Viking threads.  I’ll check later when I have a chance, because I’m curious.  Big Viking news this morning is the evacuation of 600 passengers at White Bay because if now extinguished fire.  Beautiful ship with elegant decor, like all the fleet.  Food was terrible, sadly.  Many, I’m sure, will disagree.

Oh there are many comments on Viking boards. Won’t be hard to find. One has Wellington in the title the other is Orion.  We were on Orion in Alaska on its maiden voyage. Love the ship. Food was good. Pre Covid. Going on Mars in May through India Egypt and Israel. Can’t wait. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, subaru94 said:

They all seem to be, its the overseas passengers I feel for pay so much to come across the other side of the world, the companies knew this a while ago?

Agree.

We know the costs and challenges when going to europe to find high/low water adversely impacting river cruises over the years, often with minimal to zero warning pre travel. 

You make the best of it but there are all sorts of risks when travelling.

• Like 2

I think given that Oz and NZ only started up cruising just a couple of months ago after so long because of Covid that they all need a bit of slack. The world is experiencing supply and staffing issues and cruises are no different. And Oz and NZ are extremely cautious right now. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pushka said:

I think given that Oz and NZ only started up cruising just a couple of months ago after so long because of Covid that they all need a bit of slack. The world is experiencing supply and staffing issues and cruises are no different. And Oz and NZ are extremely cautious right now. 

Though Princess started up in June which is getting on for 8 months. Other lines didn't arrive till October but should have had the staffing and supply issues sorted as most isn't from AU or NZ. And having been cruising overseas for many months at least before, I would have thought they would have ironed out most issues. The biggest impact would have been the reduced pax allowed on the earlier cruises. 

Princess has been fine but the QE one just seemed to be under-staffed in the bars. Very slow service. 

As I know you have an interest in sport Pushka, are you considering the QE Legends of Sport event cruise next year.🙂

Edited by Aussieflyer

8 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

As I know you have an interest in sport Pushka, are you considering the QE Legends of Sport event cruise next year.🙂

I was hoping for a guest speaker invite for a family member 😂

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:31 AM, LittleFish1976 said:

And from what people say, there's a huge chance of not being able to go in due to poor weather.

I spoke too soon. Majestic has skipped the fiords and have doubled back to Cook Strait. The weather is certainly not favourable today. 

Could be quite a few changed itineraries this week. The QLD coast looks like being off-limits from Wednesday. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I spoke too soon. Majestic has skipped the fiords and have doubled back to Cook Strait. The weather is certainly not favourable today. 

Could be quite a few changed itineraries this week. The QLD coast looks like being off-limits from Wednesday. 

Weather for the South Island was forecast to be bad this week (last looked at weather forecast end of last week). The system that caused so much grief in the North Island the week prior is travelling south or so I read.

I've only been into the Sounds once in early 2019; the day/night before they had had ONE METRE of rain! Couldn't believe we got in although roads were apparently impassable on land and sadly one fatality. The waterfalls were running hard. 

I'm getting on board for our confirmed non-sighting of the fjords in 8 days. Not very excited. (Not much!!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Yes cat 3 cyclone, big rain, winds and high seas, my grandaughter the Vet in Townsville told me this morning that people are already making preparations.

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes cat 3 cyclone, big rain, winds and high seas, my grandaughter the Vet in Townsville told me this morning that people are already making preparations.

Barry's Rules of cruising in Australia - 1. Never sail north of Brisbane in Summer 2. never sail south of Brisbane in Winter 3. Never sail westwards across the Great Australian Bight ever!!!

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2023 at 10:35 PM, arxcards said:

We have Bay of Islands on our itinerary in March on Quantum I wonder if it has a dirty butt & won't be allowed in, we don't have the fiords.

37 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Barry's Rules of cruising in Australia - 1. Never sail north of Brisbane in Summer 2. never sail south of Brisbane in Winter 3. Never sail westwards across the Great Australian Bight ever!!!

I agree with you about heading north in summer. South east Queensland the last couple of weeks has been more then I can handle.