Feels like I’m getting hosed

Cruise till you drop

Just boarded the Sky Princess today which we booked back in July.  We wanted to be near the Retreat Pool and booked a balcony mid ship on Sun deck 17.

Unfortunately when we showed up, we were given a balcony on the Retreat deck 14.  Basically no explanation and zero room credit.

I called the travel agent (CO) who never called back, and I called Princess as well as went to guest services and was told there was nothing they can do, and no credit because all balconies are the same price (a balcony is a balcony).  

I know this to be a straight out lie and I went in and costed out a future cruise looking at these 2 rooms and know this to be true.  But no one will help and now we’re at sea.

I am truly disappointed but we’ll make the best of this.

Question - am I wrong to think I was hosed out of some money due to getting an inferior room ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Just boarded the Sky Princess today which we booked back in July.  We wanted to be near the Retreat Pool and booked a balcony mid ship on Sun deck 17.

Unfortunately when we showed up, we were given a balcony on the Retreat deck 14.  Basically no explanation and zero room credit.

I called the travel agent (CO) who never called back, and I called Princess as well as went to guest services and was told there was nothing they can do, and no credit because all balconies are the same price (a balcony is a balcony).  

I know this to be a straight out lie and I went in and costed out a future cruise looking at these 2 rooms and know this to be true.  But no one will help and now we’re at sea.

Question - am I wrong to think I was hosed out of some money due to getting an inferior room ?

So you had a travel summary that you printed out and brought with you that showed your cabin assignment ?  Or did you book a guaranteed balcony ?

Just now, memoak said:

So you had a travel summary that you printed out and brought with you that showed your cabin assignment ?  Or did you book a guaranteed balcony ?

I had a travel summary from the booking that showed the Sun deck room.  

I also have Princess blaming the TA and the TA blaming Princess game that’s being played 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I don’t understand why they just changed your cabin?  Did you have a cabin number assigned?  
Is it the same balcony category? 

if it’s a different category, then there could be a difference in price.  Look at the deckplan and see if it’s the same category.

Maybe the Hotel Manager could help?

How did they tell you they changed your cabin?

10 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I had a travel summary from the booking that showed the Sun deck room.  

I also have Princess blaming the TA and the TA blaming Princess game that’s being played 

There is no retreat deck, though there are cabins around the retreat pool on deck 17 which is the Sun deck,  in the forward part of the ship. All cabins on 17 are in front of the front elevators. If your TA booked you on a deck 17 midship cabin it would not be on a Princess ship. 

Deck 14  is Riveria deck, not retreat deck.

What cabin number did you have should be pretty clear if you had an assigned cabin number in that area.  if you had a guarantee those to not promise a particular deck only cabin type.

Edited by ldtr

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I don’t understand why they just changed your cabin?  Did you have a cabin number assigned?  
Is it the same balcony category? 

if it’s a different category, then there could be a difference in price.  Look at the deckplan and see if it’s the same category.

Maybe the Hotel Manager could help?

How did they tell you they changed your cabin?

I’m having a hard time looking into the category difference as the internet isn’t so good.  We specifically booked Sun Deck and it was on my receipt

And we’re getting zero help from Princess 

Its S209 vs R305

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

So, did you have an assigned cabin?

3 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I’m having a hard time looking into the category difference as the internet isn’t so good.  We specifically booked Sun Deck and it was on my receipt

If your receipt is from your TA that is the person you have an issue with. What did your medallion app from Princess say ?  If the info from the TA and Princess do not agree it sounds like your TA screwed up and what was the assigned cabin exactly

Edited by memoak

On 17 the balcony categories are BC and BF, and they are forward not midship… there are about 6 balcony cabin categories on 14. Most cruise lines consider centre and centre to be a better choice then high up. 

so without knowing what you booked exactly and what you got, it’s hard to tell, but I’d be annoyed and checking my paperwork and my ta

4 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Did you get a cabin number on 17?  Is it shown on the travel summary?  If so,

you know the cabin category.

32 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Did you print out your luggage tags and if so, what room number was on those?

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Its S209 vs R305

Looks like S209 is BF category and R305 is an upgraded balcony category BB category.

Maybe not an UG as far as your concerned.  But they think it’s a better location.  

Was this a guarantee rate?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaycruising said:

On 17 the balcony categories are BC and BF, and they are forward not midship… there are about 6 balcony cabin categories on 14. Most cruise lines consider centre and centre to be a better choice then high up. 

so without knowing what you booked exactly and what you got, it’s hard to tell, but I’d be annoyed and checking my paperwork and my ta

what we got is R305 (14th floor)

5 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Looks like S209 is BF category and R305 is an upgraded balcony category BB category.

Maybe not an UG as far as your concerned.  But they think it’s a better location.  

Beat me to it....I was just looking up the same information.  Now the next questions are:

1.  Was R305 printed on the luggage tags/travel summary?

2.  Did TA check into this last minute change?

3.  When was change reassigned?

Edited by cr8tiv1

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

wow that’s odd.  And our friends had the same thing happen and ended up in D525 (9th floor)

I believe in the teeny tiny fine print it says Princess can change your cabin assignment at their discretion.  I would not be happy either those cabins are very difficult to come by and seem to book out right away.   

Princess did not email you with an updated summary with the change of cabin or is it possible your TA did not pass on that information to you?  One of many reasons I have not used a TA in decades because everything has to go through them, cruises flights and hotels I always book myself so nothing falls through the cracks.

We have been on Riviera deck and though its not what you booked we did enjoy it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jwattle said:

You got what Princess considers an upgrade.

I agreed  He got an upgrade and that's why Princess wouldn't help him however, Princess should had told him about the upgrade

• Like 4

Bottomline, if 17 is not available now and possible TA error, I would check with

the Hotel Mgr/Director and see if anything can he done, maybe OBC.

If not, let it go and try to enjoy your cruise.

Not worth the hassle.  Maybe the TA errored.  Sorry this happened to you.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

wow that’s odd.  And our friends had the same thing happen and ended up in D525 (9th floor)

Your friends have the same TA?

Again, were you on a guarantee rate?

D525 is also an UG in now BB category.

Edited by PacnGoNow

We usually get an "e-mail" from Princess regarding a cabin change (upgrade) prior to departure however, we have certain amount of time (ie 5 days) to cancel it and go back to our original cabin or accept it.

Edited by DHP1

1 minute ago, DHP1 said:

We usually get an "e-mail" from princess regarding a cabin change (upgrade) prior to departure however, we have certain amount of time (5 days) to cancel it and go back to our original cabin 

Really?  Never had 5 days to cancel it

or even an email.  Just happened to notice it on my booking, even though marked No UG.

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Really?  Never had 5 days to cancel it

or even an email.  Just happened to notice it on my booking, even though marked No UG.

I was guessing on the time frame however, they tell you, you have so many days to cancel the upgrade.  It only has happen to us about 3 times in the last 15 years.